Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

a conversation between matt weiner and his female writing staff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Like “The Wire” I was scared to watch it because of the insufferable groupthink mega-cult that encompasses the show itself.

Unlike “The Wire” no one could ever pin down what made Mad Men fun or watchable besides “Great Acting” and every character seemed like indistinguishably bland.

I also had an unhealthy crush on Christina Hendricks but then reddit posted a picture of her busted hammer toes and the spell is broken.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Super Waffle posted:

I liked the bit about his suicide note being a boiler plate resignation letter.

Lane's arc made me sad but the jaguar failing to start and then him leaving a stock resignation note was fantastic

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I'm on S02E07 and Don's new secretary is way hotter than the lady from community.

Christina Hendricks is mean and this kills the boner.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
gently caress Peggy, Pete and Betty. They were the worst part of the show.
Roger was the best part.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Bust Rodd posted:

I also had an unhealthy crush on Christina Hendricks but then reddit posted a picture of her busted hammer toes and the spell is broken.

lol this is like the archetypal "wouldn't; elbows too pointy" goon poo poo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My dude you don’t know how I get down, toes could matter a lot.

Please don’t kink shame in my thread about capitalistic male power fantasies I need a safe space

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Alternatively each Peggy and Don scene is phenomenal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5SpIxx_A4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I drank Old-fashioneds before watching the show and I'm glad I can drink more of them now.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

My dude you don’t know how I get down, toes could matter a lot.

Please don’t kink shame in my thread about capitalistic male power fantasies I need a safe space

you're not supposed to identify with them, it's historical.

people (mostly) don't watch schindler's list because they're closet nazis

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

you're not supposed to identify with them, it's historical.

people (mostly) don't watch schindler's list because they're closet nazis

this is true but most people are also idiots.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Also the main dude who people idolize is literally a fraud. His entire existence is based around lying to himself and others. It's an empty ideal. Don is selling you on the concept of manly 60s business dude just like he sells cigarettes and w/e

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Have Blue posted:

Also the main dude who people idolize is literally a fraud. His entire existence is based around lying to himself and others. It's an empty ideal. Don is selling you on the concept of manly 60s business dude just like he sells cigarettes and w/e

that's why he is the greatest ad man ever

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
one funny thing this show did is make it so that dudebros order old fashioneds instead of martinis, which sucks because i like them more

i switched to manhattans as a stopgap

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

ArmZ posted:

that's why he is the greatest ad man ever

Well duh he's fantastic at it but the entire show is literally flashing THIS IS BS and people still don't get it lol

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Have Blue posted:

You could be on to something here.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
This is my favorite Peggy and Don scene. Don's just like "go fire him" and it's such a casual thing for him, and Peggy realizes how much worth she has to company and it's pretty empowering for her. Don's just like "I trust your judgement and I don't wanna be involved, go do it yourself" and that's a big deal for Peggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b28GqQfm49U

"You want some respect, go out there and get it for yourself." That's pretty progressive of Don, really. It's a great moment for both of them.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 31, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Tumble posted:

This is my favorite Peggy and Don scene. Don's just like "go fire him" and it's such a casual thing for him, and Peggy realizes how much worth she has to company and it's pretty empowering for her. Don's just like "I trust your judgement and I don't wanna be involved, go do it yourself" and that's a big deal for Peggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b28GqQfm49U

"You want some respect, go out there and get it for yourself." That's pretty progressive of Don, really. It's a great moment for both of them.

"narrative, forced perspective: you sure joey did this?"

hahaha love the subtle burn

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Like “The Wire” I was scared to watch it because of the insufferable groupthink mega-cult that encompasses the show itself.

Unlike “The Wire” no one could ever pin down what made Mad Men fun or watchable besides “Great Acting” and every character seemed like indistinguishably bland.

how could you be scared to sit in front of a screen with moving images

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
i havent seen all of it, ive been thinking about rewatching it recently. i remembered really liking don at first but as the seasons progressed all i really cared about was the female protagonists and how they grew. i digged it. i liked the visual theme, and makes me wish i could be a drunk at work.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I couldn't get into this when I first tried about 10 years ago. Should I give it another go?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Mad Men was secretly the funniest show on television when it was on the air.

Well, right behind Next Time on Mad Men.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

Mad Men was secretly the funniest show on television when it was on the air.

Well, right behind Next Time on Mad Men.

Yea it's dry but it is actually quite funny. My favorite is how Don reacts to the ongoing social changes in ways that we would consider progressive but he actually just doesn't give a gently caress about anybody but himself. He didn't care about Sal's homosexuality because it didn't affect him at all. Until Sal refused to blow a tobacco exec and the guy got upset, at which point Don fired Sal real quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNT6ilohwiY

IT guys have ALWAYS been insufferable and women have always hated them

Tumble fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 31, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tumble posted:

Yea it's dry but it is actually quite funny. My favorite is how Don reacts to the ongoing social changes in ways that we would consider progressive but he actually just doesn't give a gently caress about anybody but himself. He didn't care about Sal's homosexuality because it didn't affect him at all. Until Sal refused to blow a tobacco exec and the guy got upset, at which point Don fired Sal real quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNT6ilohwiY

IT guys have ALWAYS been insufferable and women have always hated them

Yeah and Pete's the most genuinely progressive guy in the show but he's also a total weasel and dickbag in all of his social and personal interactions.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bust Rodd posted:

same, but then i watched three episodes in a row and was bored practically to tears, so i stopped

there was blackface in one of the episodes i saw, and it was supposed to be some "omg the '60s were racist!" scene, and it was whatever

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
you should be ashamed of yourself for not being to make it through The Wire because that poo poo is RIVETING

Mad Men i can understand but The Wire is a show about drug dealing, murder, and policing and that's just objectively some of the most dramatic subject matter you can make a modern show about

i mean there is a gay black Robin Hood character (Robbin' Hoods lol) and that just ain't boring unless you are boring.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah and Pete's the most genuinely progressive guy in the show but he's also a total weasel and dickbag in all of his social and personal interactions.

pete raped his neighbor's nanny

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tumble posted:

you should be ashamed of yourself for not being to make it through The Wire because poo poo is RIVETING

oh, no, i was talking about my attempt to watch mad men. i've never seen any episodes of the wire at all.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Tumble posted:

you should be ashamed of yourself for not being to make it through The Wire because that poo poo is RIVETING

Mad Men i can understand but The Wire is a show about drug dealing, murder, and policing and that's just objectively some of the most dramatic subject matter you can make a modern show about

i mean there is a gay black Robin Hood character (Robbin' Hoods lol) and that just ain't boring unless you are boring.

the wire and homicide are the only good cop shows ever made. i wonder what they have in common.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Young Weinstein

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

a lot of places dump a load of ice in an old fashioned, especially if it's a restaurant and not a bar. gotta make sure to say no ice to be safe.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Don spends like two thirds of the show being a very bad employee.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

a lot of places dump a load of ice in an old fashioned, especially if it's a restaurant and not a bar. gotta make sure to say no ice to be safe.

it's called "up" and those are "rocks" :c00l:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Mad Men is a lot like Star Trek in that I can't help but judge it by the people that are way into it and somehow still miss the point

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sout posted:

Don spends like two thirds of the show being a very bad employee.

Maybe I should start not going to work so I too can be employee of the year

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Tighclops posted:

Mad Men is a lot like Star Trek in that I can't help but judge it by the people that are way into it and somehow still miss the point

somebody's been watching black mirror

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

somebody's been watching black mirror

I don't know what this means but despite all the lovely fans I still love Star Trek so is this is this good

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Tighclops posted:

I don't know what this means but despite all the lovely fans I still love Star Trek so is this is this good

let's just say matt damon is creepier than you'd think

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulC0Lerkkbc

Whoaaaaa Fat Betty, blam a blam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

• Locked thread