Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.
So you like the nuclear plant? Any tips over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

The Midniter posted:

I hate smoke grenades since I ultimately end up dying in the midst of one I threw myself.

Favorite landing destinations: south Georgopol

I think I killed your alt the other day http://xboxclips.com/Beelzebozo+Time/c217a317-de33-4532-836a-935d009692d6

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Midniter posted:

New update today and it's really helped the inventory functionality.

Also, they got rid of the Y-axis inversion on the map screen, in addition to making the cursor move WAY faster, yeehaw!

Mostly sounds good but I think they should have held off on extra damage from crashing vehicles until they fix the ridiculous collision detection issues.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Beelzebozo posted:

Do you have a source for this claim? I literally can’t believe this could be their goal.

It's in the OP, and MS and Bluehole have both stated it on multiple occasions. It's a terrible idea so I can understand your skepticism.

OP posted:

Is there cross-play with PC?
Not right now, but MS and Bluehole have stated that it will come eventually. How they're going to balance PC vs. Console is anyone's guess.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Drav posted:

So you like the nuclear plant? Any tips over there?

I like the small plant, there’s normally enough kit for 2-3 people

Land on the southern roof/balcony and work down

If it’s loaded with people the road to the West has good poo poo and a car normally, you can get a gun and pop people as they leave to grab whatever good poo poo they did

pray the circle isn’t north west if you miss out in a vehicle

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Call me a pansy, but my favorite place to land is still "as loving far away from everyone else as possible" At least when I'm solo I'll almost always go for the most unassuming block of farmhouses I can find. Early firefights can be fun with a squad though.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Call me a pansy, but my favorite place to land is still "as loving far away from everyone else as possible" At least when I'm solo I'll almost always go for the most unassuming block of farmhouses I can find. Early firefights can be fun with a squad though.

embrace death and always be looking for gunfights

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

When I'm solo, I'm more daring about where I drop, but in squad we definitely parachute quite a ways to get away from the crowd. Not only does this mean less opposition while gearing up, but the vehicles in the area haven't already been nabbed if the circle ends up on the other side of the map.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

The Midniter posted:

When I'm solo, I'm more daring about where I drop, but in squad we definitely parachute quite a ways to get away from the crowd. Not only does this mean less opposition while gearing up, but the vehicles in the area haven't already been nabbed if the circle ends up on the other side of the map.

Yeah I don't feel like there's any downside to challenging early in the game. If you die you've lost all of 10 minutes and if you win you get a dragon's loot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm always trying for that chicken dinner, so i don't really engage in unnecessary combat unless it's totally opportunistic. At least solo. Dying 5 minutes because the other guy found a better weapon is boring to me.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm always trying for that chicken dinner, so i don't really engage in unnecessary combat unless it's totally opportunistic. At least solo. Dying 5 minutes because the other guy found a better weapon is boring to me.

It's good practice. You could spend 40 minutes trying to win and not fire a single shot. Which is great. But I want to get better at capping foos so I'm solo dropping onto School or Power Plant in order to live fast die young.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like doing that but only if I have someone around the corner so I can go "auughhh save me I'm gonna die!"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They really need to make pistols less utterly worthless.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

They really need to make pistols less utterly worthless.

I don't know, they really serve their purpose as a super-early-game threat. No one in their right mind would bring a pistol to an AR fight in real life, so it stands to reason it should remain that way in the game too.

P.S. the .45 pistol with 7 shot magazine is trash trash trash and I hate it, 7 rounds is not enough to panic-shoot into someone running at you with a sickle.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I think pistols sucking has less to do with them being handguns and more to do with there being no auto-aim.

Although me and a buddy were double tapped by some pistol savant the other day. We came charging at him with our fists from two different directions and he took us both out with 4 bullets, total.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I guess more than anything is that I hate anything semi auto at close range in this game

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

Something about the Scar just WORKS for a former CoD player such as myself. Full auto and the red dot never leaves their body. Chicken dinner with it finished with a double kill. Boom, loving it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Beastie posted:

It's good practice. You could spend 40 minutes trying to win and not fire a single shot. Which is great.

That's how I got my only win. Hung back, looted cautiously with the squad, final circle and I killed the last guy on a headshot with the vector.

Never won again :saddowns:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My thoughts on the guns I actually seem to pick up, whether by choice or necessity. I almost never seem to find sniper rifles.

Uzi-great, god tier with ext mags or even better with ext/quickdraw mag
SCAR-Fantastic all around
M16-Fantastic w 4x scope
all pistlols- dogshit, revolvers are utter irredeemable dogshit
UMP 9-dogshit. gently caress this stupid gun it always gets me killed. I hate it.
VSS-I'm not sure how good it is but I loving love it. Most fun gun in the game.
M416-Pretty bad. passable in a pinch
Tommy Gun-Good
Weird WW1 looking LMG thing-Good only for the clip size but meh overall
Vector-Awesome, als needs ext mags
Shotguns- Double barrel is the worst gun in the game. The other ones are passable but I'll always drop them for just about anything else.
All melee-worthless except for the butt pan.
Mini-decent

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

DP28 is now the car killer. You don't always have one handy because most people will dump a WWII era Soviet gun for something better.

That mag size and sight make it easy to just spit bullets at vehicles.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The M416 is the best assault rifle bar none. It has no side to side recoil, so with a vertical fire grip, suppressor/compensator and the tactical stock it’s a laser gun.

The UMP is great at close engagements and SMG suppressors are fairly common.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

Goddamn I suck at sitting in rooms waiting for people to come in. They open the door and walk into my perfect ambush except I hit the wall and furniture and everything in the loving room BUT them. gently caress.

I need to adopt that strategy where you charge them once I know they're inside like someone mentioned. I'm way better assaulting.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
The most recent patch really improve the shooting in the game. Felt way more precise and manageable now that the input lag is reduced. Got into the top 10 in 5 of 6 games with my friend and we were getting several kills each in all the games, which wasn't the case pre-patch. Also took two clips of kills I really shouldn't have gotten but whatevs.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Baconfeet/video/43404675

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Baconfeet/video/43404680

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chemmy posted:

The M416 is the best assault rifle bar none. It has no side to side recoil, so with a vertical fire grip, suppressor/compensator and the tactical stock it’s a laser gun.

The UMP is great at close engagements and SMG suppressors are fairly common.

Hm. Maybe I've just had lovely luck with the 416.

I refuse to believe the UMP is good though lol. The damage and accuracy feels so bad compared to the other SMGs

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
UMP and M416 own bones, sorry man. The only SMG I'd take over a UMP is a Vector, and only if I have an extended mag and the tactical stock. I got into a very close firefight in the final circle with an UMP and beat a dude with an AUG. I'll take an extremely controllable weapon in close range 100% of the time, even if other weapons do more damage but are harder to land shots with.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I've gotten my only chicken dinner with an Uzi so it gets my vote.

Also because it sounds hilarious with a suppressor.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Always grab the uzi stock if you just dropped, makes uzi god tier for early game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Control type B :aaa:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also I take back what I said about the UMP. My gripes came from shooting it in third person. It's good

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
That's funny, I played significantly worse when I tried control type b. It's way better do the soft zoom in close quarters instead of ADSing so I find it better to use control type a.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Turns out lying in ambush with a sickle doesn't work out even if you surprise them.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Live At Five! posted:

That's funny, I played significantly worse when I tried control type b. It's way better do the soft zoom in close quarters instead of ADSing so I find it better to use control type a.

That “soft zoom” is bound to LB in control type B, and that’s what you use in close quarters, yes.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Holding LB while I'm trying to shoot someone in close quarters isn't ideal for me.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Live At Five! posted:

Holding LB while I'm trying to shoot someone in close quarters isn't ideal for me.

:raise: Is it materially different from holding LT to aim down sight?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm preferring 1st person even in close range, but I'd almost just as soon spray and pray than use the soft zoom so I don't really care about it being mapped to LB.

It's kind of crazy how much better the game feels to me with control type B. It's the first time I've felt remotely competent at shooting poo poo. Won 5 shootouts in a row the second I switched, which pretty much never happened when I tried to aim in third person.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

It’d be great if the game stopped resetting all my control preferences.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beastie posted:

It’d be great if the game stopped resetting all my control preferences.

That's strange. I've never had that happen.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Beelzebozo posted:

:raise: Is it materially different from holding LT to aim down sight?

Playing shooters for years on consoles has conditioned me to press LT, so in an unexpected close range fight i instinctually press LT. I could learn to press LB but I'd rather just keep control type A.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does LB ADS in type A? I honestly never even checked. All I know is that double tapping LT felt way too clunky in a pinch to go into ADS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

Does LB ADS in type A? I honestly never even checked. All I know is that double tapping LT felt way too clunky in a pinch to go into ADS.

I think it's actually single tap, but that's still too much to think about as a twitch reflex, I agree.