Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
PUBG is both fun and good because it creates hilarity when none is expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's pretty random. I've played about 350 hours of this and drop in the same 4 or 5 places typically, some of them are 4 or 6 house, some are cities - sometimes the first 3 shacks you check have 4 great assault rifles/parts/full sets of level 2 gear for two players, or even level 3 stuff - then the next time you drop there you and your partner each loot 15 large houses before finding something better than a shotgun/uzi/pistol/level 1 setup between the two of you.

It's part of what makes the game so fun because each game can play out wildly differently, even if you're landing at the same spot each time - and even if you're back2back dinnerin', having landed at the same spot - which BCRock and I like to do from time to time - you can get to that victory in a variety of ways.

Sometimes all you have is a crossbow.
https://clips.twitch.tv/PrettyEvilDonkeyNononoCat

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 7, 2018

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yes, it's how you kill about 40% of the idiots you find because they're there talking with their squad in voice chat and you and your guys are on Discord, also good for lol'in at the guy you crossbowed in the face as he drove at you on a motorcycle.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On the PC, using a loud-rear end vehicle in the end game is essentially suicide anytime in the last 3-4 circles unless you're desperate, and I'm not positive on this but I believe they now all start with a varied amount of gas, usually at least half a tank though.

We use a gas can to refill maybe every 5 games on average.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
In the first 2 or 3 circles you can definitely live in the blue for a long time if you're very disciplined on keeping up on your boost/healthkit consumption, but it's VERY easy to let it go just a second too long (or get hit once) and then whoops you're dead.

It's not viable at all in the 4th-onward circles. It's also not something we've ever run into on the PC with cheaters (they'll just aimbot you in the face through a mountain from 1000m instead), but who knows what is possible on the Xbox build.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

yeah the final shrink kills you quick. I got stuck in it myself, and was about 80% dead after 5 seconds. Someone surviving in it for nearly 2 minutes by pumping consumables seems incredibly unlikely to me. I could be wrong. But I really doubt it. The shot also sounded like it came from a mile off, which doesn't mean that much because you can't really trust the sound design. But he sure as hell wasn't anywhere near the play area.

Assuming it progresses at the same rate the PC version did/does, the sound accuracy is bigly better in 1.1 or whatever it's at now than it was at 0.6ish/what the Xbone version feels like now. It used to be "There's a vehicle somewhere to.... the east? west? south??? of us" to being right about its actual location 95% of the time now, it's made it very fun to be dialed in on headsets with a competent team because we can all pinpoint incoming badguys and do cool flanking & coordinated poo poo, ala Original Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six. (on the rare occasion we're all set up and paying attention/not ripping bongs)

They've actually made some really good/cool sound confusion from echo from water or canyon area reflecting back and sounding like it's coming from both sides at once that have impressed me a couple times (requires high volume headset + experience at the game to really figure out directionals well still), so I do expect they continue to pump the improvements in at the same rate to xbone.

One awesome thing Xbone has over PC is that Microsoft doesn't tolerate cheaters, so even if TEH HAX start popping up, MS will actually permaban GT's. On Steam it's virtually impossible since you can't ban across the entire service and cheaters just buy the game again. (cheating is really loving up the game right now, we've had to move to playing First Person Perspective to avoid the majority of them)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's mostly because in duos you have to cover ~2x as many potential angles as you have to in squad so it's easier to get got by solid 2's that split up and roll on you quietly. It's just as tactical once you get the hang of it, but 4 really good players can just steamroll the opposition with a 50ish% likely win rate when they're on and everyone is making their shots/callouts, but on duos with the same level of performance it's more like 30% of the time = dinner likely.

Also that gif is unrealistic, the buggy would have flipped on that first 4" bump and YOU killed YOURSELF

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Oh poo poo. I did not know that. I still wish it would just default to it if the vehicle is empty, but that's not that bad then.

On the PC you have a >51% chance of getting on the back of a motorcycle if you're by yourself (or the passenger seat of any other vehicle) and there is no discrete Get In The Driver Seat Button.

So lol that the Xbone Kane & Lynch controls are actually further evolved.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

always be closing posted:

Does Ctrl+1 not work on bikes?

Yeah it does, you can change seats - you just can't hit a specific button when you're not yet on the bike.

RIP if you're using the nvidia geforce ~~*experience*~~ and haven't changed the default bindings in that first though, which prevent PUBG from using ctrl-1

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The alleged goal is to make this game work cross-platform with PC PUBG, which I just cannot fathom being a competitive or fun experience for console players in any way, so until they give up on that don't hold much hope for aim-assist.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Beelzebozo posted:

Do you have a source for this claim? I literally can’t believe this could be their goal.

It's in the OP, and MS and Bluehole have both stated it on multiple occasions. It's a terrible idea so I can understand your skepticism.

OP posted:

Is there cross-play with PC?
Not right now, but MS and Bluehole have stated that it will come eventually. How they're going to balance PC vs. Console is anyone's guess.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
when they talk about 'easy to learn, hard to master', this game is the epitome. You won't start getting gud enough to reliably figure out where you're being shot from until about the 200-250 hour mark.

Also if you have a non-X and/or a potato TV, you're at a severe disadvantage for seeing muzzle flashes.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Blood splatters are client-side so they aren't always the true report.

Shotguns work in a, uh, novel way - there's one 'king' pellet in the blast, and wherever that pellet lands, that's the kind of damage you do.

So let's say you shoot someone and it appears you shot him in the face. Well, it turns out that 9 of the pellets hit him in the face, but the 10th and king pellet hit him in the arm, so all the pellets did arm damage.

Honestly it sounds like lag issues are your key problem, because the better your frames, the better your ability to kill with shotguns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Just dropped in and grabbed a machete and a lvl 3 vest, some dude landed next to me and didn't have anything but ran towards me anyways so I started whacking him with the machete. He killed me handily with 2 punches. This is legitimately the poorest quality game I have ever played in my life by a pretty wide margin.

Why would you pick up a machete, ever? The only melee weapon worth using is the pan.