Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
today is the year i will destroy mario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i 8 meat 3 times this week (counting last year 2!) and that is, i feel, a good target: eeat meat 3 times (or less :unsmith:) in a week, avoid pork, more fish and poultry than red meat, and who give a furp what on a pizza

i 8 made any progress on the concert front yet but i did get to spend some time with an old friend who makes my heart sing :3:

funmanguy

What time is it?
imma walk to work 3 days a week this year, and continue losing weight. also i wont be eating out more han once a week. and more yob less throb

funmanguy

What time is it?

Putty posted:

today is the year i will destroy mario

good idea, i will finally beat mario galaxy

City of Glompton

yesterday I did not do so hot wrt carbs and news. today will be a better day!

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Scroon

My resolution is to dress up as a ghost and finally scare away those developers from my abandoned theme park

My second resolution is to escape the tyranny of pants as much as possible

Piso Mojado

I did really good this week. Went to the gym 4 times, yoga twice, and a 11mi hike in the desert. I dont think this is sustainable, but i'll keep trying. That said, my diet has been a disaster and I'm going to be a hippo by summer if I dont get it under control. :negative:

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i ate meat 3 times last week and once this week
i m tryna keep my lim
it to three times a week so :yeah:
b e e p

BoldFrankensteinMir

This year I am working on my posture with yoga and gonna learn to ride a motorcycle.

Next year my resolution is to defy the brain-cloud's control over me long enough to lead the rebel prisoners out of MegaMaze. Don't worry, you'll understand in October.

Sig by Heather Papps

Robot Made of Meat

Piso Mojado posted:

I did really good this week. Went to the gym 4 times, yoga twice, and a 11mi hike in the desert. I dont think this is sustainable, but i'll keep trying. That said, my diet has been a disaster and I'm going to be a hippo by summer if I dont get it under control. :negative:

That's more exercise than I did last year. Keep it up, and it's likely your diet will be more easy to control.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Quit smoking update:

Have 3mm of teeth left from grinding, not bad

Hair all pulled out, so that's over

Only ran 3 cars off road in last 2 weeks (bemers, deserved it)

Always dream of electric sheep now, weird

Ran a mile*

*real post

FluffieDuckie

Week 1 I was perfect.

Then I got the flu and got couched for week 2.

I’m planning on hitting it again first thing in the morning

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Rock on, Duckie!

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i ate meat 3 times last week and once this week
i m tryna keep my lim
it to three times a week so :yeah:
b e e p

Way to go, ethicsbot!

I'm making solid progress writing, although not quite as much as I'd like. I got a draft of my diss. sent to my director, which is good. Still strugglin' to finish this short story i'm workin on. At this point I just need it to be over so that it isn't colonizing my brainspace.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

Way to go, ethicsbot!

I'm making solid progress writing, although not quite as much as I'd like. I got a draft of my diss. sent to my director, which is good. Still strugglin' to finish this short story i'm workin on. At this point I just need it to be over so that it isn't colonizing my brainspace.

What sort of story is it? your posts are so great that I'm sure it'll turn out well

I've started getting up earlier before work to exercise/meditate and have only missed one day this year. It has drastically improved how I feel each day. I'm also committed to putting together the game idea I thought a lot about last year but never actually put any real effort into creating.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

BoldFrankensteinMir

This is embarrassing to admit, but I bet y'all can help. Whenever I go after self improvement, when I first see benefits I come across this wall of shame, where I'm facing how I did things wrong for so long and it's embarrassing. Does that happen for anyone else?

My posture resolution has been going well, and it's stupid how much better I feel. It's shame-wall stupid how much better my body feels, and how much better it looks. Maybe it's because my slouching is part of larger mental health issues, maybe it's because I took on this resolution at the kindly-stinging advice of an attractive co-worker, I don't know but I feel bad about feeling better and I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

This is embarrassing to admit, but I bet y'all can help. Whenever I go after self improvement, when I first see benefits I come across this wall of shame, where I'm facing how I did things wrong for so long and it's embarrassing. Does that happen for anyone else?

I think that's pretty common, yeah. It is the inspiration behind the quip that "youth is wasted on the young;" everyone learns stuff and looks back with a mixture of amusement and embarrassment at the things they could have done so much better. But you just gotta point your eyes back toward the future. You should feel excited for what you can do now and even more so for what you'll soon be able to do.

BoldFrankensteinMir

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

I think that's pretty common, yeah. It is the inspiration behind the quip that "youth is wasted on the young;" everyone learns stuff and looks back with a mixture of amusement and embarrassment at the things they could have done so much better. But you just gotta point your eyes back toward the future. You should feel excited for what you can do now and even more so for what you'll soon be able to do.

That's helpful, thank you SBT.

Oh man, this is why parents ride their kids especially hard on stuff they themselves did wrong, isn't it? All this insight is making me dizzy...

Sig by Heather Papps

byob historian

My posture resolution has been going well, and it's stupid how much better I feel. It's shame-wall stupid how much better my body feels, and how much better it looks. Maybe it's because my slouching is part of larger mental health issues, maybe it's because I took on this resolution at the kindly-stinging advice of an attractive co-worker, I don't know but I feel bad about feeling better and I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

one thing about posture is, its something we're always doing all the time! so just think of how much time you have to improve :)

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
After what felt like one billion years, I have finished a decent version of this story. I really got stuck on this one and had to rewrite the back half several times, sometimes completely altering the plot...it was a mess. But I'm happy with the way things turned out. I think it works alright and is certainly better than my last rendition.

Now I have to write the Bashful Peacock for the Byobook.

Piso Mojado

a button popped off my pants today. :negative:

that's the second time in like 3 months :negative: :negative:

BoldFrankensteinMir

I rode the heck out of my mountain bike today, got it all put back together and fixed the cables and shifter. It's windy and the roads still have ice but I can't be intimidated by that stuff anymore. New year new me.

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
I feel like I'm getting more confident in my writing process. I was able to get a story planned and executed over the course of two days (while at work). It's a setting idea I've been kicking around for a while, but found very hard to grasp and this time I was really methodical about planning and doing.

I think my next step is to just take some of the stories I've started and turn them into on going plot lines, which will help me get things into a groove.

I know this sounds bad, but I want more of the process to feel rote, by which I mean instead of sweating over the mechanics of what I'm doing, I want the process to feel so familiar that I can focus on the quality of execution. As it stands I'm spending all my brain juices on getting myself doing the work instead of saving that juice for the actual performance itself. Sort of like thinking about how to hit a baseball instead of focusing on playing the game.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I have to wear a belt now or my pants will fall off

Robot Made of Meat

Putty posted:

I have to wear a belt now or my pants will fall off

Your resolution was to buy bigger pants?

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Your resolution was to buy bigger pants?

:argh:

wearing a lampshade

I need to start exercising and stretch more so my neck doesn't turn into cement

I need to learn me some more coding so I can find my rear end a job that's closer to home so I can walk my dog at lunch

BoldFrankensteinMir

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

I feel like I'm getting more confident in my writing process. I was able to get a story planned and executed over the course of two days (while at work). It's a setting idea I've been kicking around for a while, but found very hard to grasp and this time I was really methodical about planning and doing.

I think my next step is to just take some of the stories I've started and turn them into on going plot lines, which will help me get things into a groove.

I know this sounds bad, but I want more of the process to feel rote, by which I mean instead of sweating over the mechanics of what I'm doing, I want the process to feel so familiar that I can focus on the quality of execution. As it stands I'm spending all my brain juices on getting myself doing the work instead of saving that juice for the actual performance itself. Sort of like thinking about how to hit a baseball instead of focusing on playing the game.

That makes sense. It's easy to lose the perspective of the reader if you're playing with big abstract analytical pieces instead of the flow of the narrative, and the joy of the reader is the meat of the thing.

If you ever want some illustrations hit me up, collaborations are the best portfolio-builders.

Sig by Heather Papps

byob historian

i have had some major digestive issues this week, and have eaten meat once more than i wanted to. idk about how to proceed from here; i am in a somewhat odd situation atm regarding my family and all

i did get a new iphone this week which i shd be able to like, record and stuff with, and also it gpses and stuff which is muy bueno and recommended in many touring tip lists :)

Live Sound Design Legal St18 Tour gon happne

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I am not smoking today. I can do it.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Munchables posted:

I am not smoking today. I can do it.

Hooray! Drink water and good luck!

Sig by Heather Papps

Munchables

Welp, that was fast. Maybe next week.

Robot Made of Meat

Munchables posted:

The method that worked for me (note: this is NOT doctor approved) is that I drank and smoked all afternoon, evening, night, and into the early hours. When I woke up, I felt like complete poo poo, and I never wanted to smoke again. I was revoltingly stinky, my sinuses were clogged with unspeakable stuff, and I was miserable. I didn't get out of bed until 1 pm or so.

For the next month, I carefully avoided booze, coffee at work, or any of the things that naturally led to smoking. It wasn't easy, but it worked.

FreshCutFries

Munchables posted:

I slipped on my first quit day, and said I would try again the next day. Then I slipped the next day, and said I would absolutely do it tomorrow because failing three days in a row would suck. Then I stopped smoking. Try again tomorrow, not next week.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
do this

byob historian

i stopped smoking cigarettes when i realized it was interfering with my weed smoking. maybe you can find something that important for you to remember when the cravings hit? :unsmith:

Munchables

If I don't smoke I get super antsy and start looking for food.

BoldFrankensteinMir

It took me several years of trying before I was finally able to quit cigs. It is not easy but totally worth it- coming up on six years free after a seven year habit and I'm still amazed how much better I feel.

Munchables

It took me several years of trying before I was finally able to quit cigs. It is not easy but totally worth it- coming up on six years free after a seven year habit and I'm still amazed how much better I feel.

poo poo man, congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Munchables posted:

poo poo man, congrats!

Thanks. I don't regret my smoking years too much because honestly the act of having to quit something hard to quit was really informative for me. It set the bar for future issues with compulsive behavior, everything from social media to carbon damage. I owe a lot of what willpower I do have today to getting unhooked from gas-station candy tobacco.

Sig by Heather Papps

• Locked thread