Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A brief history of the Book Barn’s Annual Reading Challenge

Long ago, well before any of us without archives can access, ancient Book Barn scholars set out to test their knowledge and training by reading a certain number of books a year.

Then came the rise of the booklord. In addition to challenging ourselves by reading a set number of books, the booklord created his own unique set of goals to encourage the brave to step outside of their comfort zone and expand their minds.

This year I have ascended to the place of the booklord and will be issuing my own challenge with hopefully some fun additions (or just gimmicky bullshit).

The rules

Realistically, this is 100% about having fun and trying to push your reading further, so it is entirely up to you how you go about this. You can just stick to the traditional "read X number of books" challenge, or you can have fun with us and take the booklord challenge.

Many of the categories are intentionally open ended (and even something like "history" doesn't specify whether it is fiction or non-fiction or what kind of history) so you can interpret as you like. I only request that you don't back out of something or shy away just because it is outside of your comfort zone. Again, it's up to you, but if you're in this thread then you are presumably here to challenge yourself, and I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not trying something new.

Also, try to post something outside of just a list (I have been guilty of this too). You don't need to review every book you read, just call out favorites or even just talk about how much fun you're having this year compared to other years.

With that said, onto the challenge:

The 2018 Booklord Challenge

I've kept to a similar style and length of list that we've had in the past, but decided to spice things up by adding bonus challenges. These can be attempted in addition to the normal goal or in place of or not at all. Some of these might be laughably easy for some while others might be way too hard, so feel free to engage and adjust as you see fit:

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge1
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women.2
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white.2
— bonus: Of these make sure half are by authors new to you
4. Read at least one book by an LGBT author.
— bonus: Make sure 10% of the books you read this year are by LGBT authors
5. Participate in the TBB BotM thread at least once in 2018 (thread stickied each month at the top of the forum).
— bonus: Participate in the SHAMEFUL The Greatest Books You've Never Read thread
6. Ask another poster to issue you a wildcard, then read it.3
— bonus: Similarly, get a wildcard from another thread in this forum
7. Get a recommendation from a friend or loved one.
— bonus: Read literally the first in-person book recommendation you get in 2018 (solicited or not)
8. Read something written before you were born.
— bonus: Read a book written/published the exact year you were born
9. Read a book published in 2018 (or if you're eager to start early, the latter half of 2017).
— bonus: Read something that wins an award in 2018, but only after it is announced (i.e. don't apply retroactively)
10. Read something translated from another language.
— bonus: Read something that isn't in your primary language
11. Read something political.
— bonus: Read something political from/about a country you aren't from and don't currently live in
12. Read a poetry collection.
— bonus: Read poems by at least 10 different poets
13. Read a collection of short stories.
— bonus: Read short stories by at least 10 different authors
14. Read a play.
— bonus: Read a play first published in the last 10 years
15. Read something involving history.
— bonus: Read something about a (nonfictional) war that didn't involve the U.S.
16. Read something biographical.
— bonus: Read something biographical about someone you've met/seen in person4
17. Read something about religion.
— bonus: Read a major religious text
18. Read something from a non-traditional perspective.
— bonus: Read something narrated in the 2nd person
19. Read something that has been banned, censored, or challenged.
— bonus: Read something currently banned, censored, or challenged in its country of origin
20. Read something about music.
— bonus: Read something about a genre of music you're explicitly not a fan of
21. Read something that involves Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
— bonus: Read something about hunger
22. Read something about the future.
— bonus: Read something about a future that takes place before the current year

Clarification, errata and footnotes

Try to read a different book for each challenge, but feel free to combine on the percentage based ones. Remember that failing at one of the challenges doesn't mean you have to give up on the whole thing, this is literally just a fun way to challenge ourselves, so have fun and don't take it too seriously!

1. Last year there were a few (myself included) who elected not to do the number challenge, so I added the "personal challenge" option for those who want to do the booklord challenge while customizing something for themselves. For example, I am going to try to do one reread per month, for a total of 12.
2. Repeating these challenges from last year, but feel free to adjust. I don't think 1 out of every 5 books (or 1 out of every 10, if you read a book by a non-white woman) is too crazy, but you can also feel free to try for more.
3. Last year someone wildcarded The Berserker with Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong which is 4 volumes and something like 2500 pages. I am hesitant to make hard guidelines here but I just ask wildcarders to be aware of things like time constraints, and wildcardees that you can always get re-carded if necessary (although please don't abuse that to get out of reading something you just aren't interested in).
4. This could be like a concert or speech or just someone you saw from a distance once. Again this is open-ended so have fun with it.

Other fun stuff

I am going to be issuing some kind of reward (likely a cert) to a random person who completes the challenge and writes a little something; details will be in a post below.

I am also going to try and do theme weeks about some of the above challenges to encourage discussion and keep the thread exciting during the bulk of the year where it is usually just lists and wildcards. Anyone else can feel free to make effort posts about some of the categories or anything involving the challenge.

Have fun and good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Posters taking the challenge

Name: Guy A. Person
Personal Challenge: 12 rereads
Booklord's challenge: yes

Name: screenwritersblues
Personal Challenge: 30 books
Booklord's challenge: no

Name: ToxicFrog
Personal Challenge: 96 books, at least 10% nonfiction, at most 25% rereads

Name: Omne
Personal Challenge: 24 books

Name: Tiggum
Personal Challenge: 52 books for the year, of which at least 24 must be by women and 12 must be non-fiction (counting overlap)

Name: The Berzerker
Personal Challenge: 40 books

Name: Chazani

Name: mdemone
Personal Challenge: 100 books

Name: cryptoclastic

Name: Orion2221
Personal Challenge: 52 books

Name: nerdpony

Name: Jew it to it!
Booklord's challenge: not committing yet

Name: Gertrude Perkins
Personal Challenge: 52 books total, with at least 1/3 by women and at least 1/3 by writers of colour

Name: Talas
Personal Challenge: 60 books

Name: Groke

Name: smug n stuff
Personal Challenge: 52 books, at least 5 books published in 2018 and at least 5 out of copyright

Name: Ben Nevis
Personal Challenge: 80 books

Name: Carlosologist
Personal Challenge: 27 books, with the sub goal being at least 40% by women and 30% by Latin-American authors

Name: Robot Mil

Name: nipplefish
Personal Challenge: 50 books

Name: USMC_Karl
Personal Challenge: 42 books, at least 12 nonfiction books and 4 different collections of poetry

Name: Hungry

Name: Franchescanado
Personal Challenge: 24 books, including 6 books in the SHAMEFUL: The Greatest Books You've Never Read thread

Name: apophenium
Personal Challenge: 50 books
Booklord's challenge: first 6 parts of the challenge

Name: Dr. Kloctopussy
Personal Challenge: 50 books; at least 4 BotM books; 2 books from the shame pile; The Chekhov, Tolstoy, and Dostoevski works covered in Nabakov's lectures on Russian literature, and the lectures themselves; Bible chunks
Booklord's challenge: not officially

Name: Esme

Name: Chamberk
Personal Challenge: 36 books

Name: oscarthewilde

Name: Corrode
Personal Challenge: less than 50 books in "unread" pile at the end of the year

Name: thatdarnedbob
Personal Challenge: 80 books, and actually posting in the dang thread each month

Name: my bony fealty
Personal Challenge: 60 books, at least 50% female authors and at least 10% LGBT authors
Booklord's challenge: not yet

Name: Stuporstar

Name:
Personal Challenge:
Booklord's challenge:

A human heart refuses to back my foolish plot to read some books

Name: Magikarpal Tunnel

Name: Strong Mouse
Personal Challenge: 20 books

Name: Socialized
Personal Challenge: 24 books, at least 18 of which are books they already own
Booklord's challenge: wildcard only

Name: lithium flour
Personal Challenge: 24 books and to actually keep posting in this thread
Booklord's challenge: picking and choosing

Name: Milt Thompson
Personal Challenge: 26 books, under 20% rereads

Name: idiot of the legal system
Personal Challenge: 52 books, with at least ten poetry books and less than ten written by straight white dudes from dominant literary canons

Name: Loutre
Personal Challenge: 75 books

Name: MuRLinn
Personal Challenge: entire wheel of time series

Name: Fellwenner
Personal Challenge: 100 books, no rereads

Name: CestMoi
Personal Challenge: 5000 books
Booklord's challenge: not likely

Name: Bitchkrieg
Booklord's challenge: dunno

Name: MockingQuantum
Personal Challenge: 70 books

Name: ectoplasm
Personal Challenge: 30 books totaling at least 10,000 pages
Booklord's challenge: no yes after all

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 18, 2018

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Booklord reward system

This year you're working toward a (potential, random, and small) reward for all your hard work!

In addition to the warm feeling of accomplishment you will receive for completing your challenge, you will also be entered into a random drawing for an SA gift cert.

If you complete the booklord challenge to your own satisfaction (I mean, it's all on the honor system anyway), write a small paragraph/post about one of the books from your challenge or just the challenge in general and how it's helped expand your reading. Or hell, even if you think it's been totally pointless, write about that.

Since I'm not qualified to judge anyone's writing I'm not going to reward based off best essay, I'll just enter your names into a spreadsheet or something then randomize it on new years day of 2019 and shoot the winner their choice of cert (excluding smiley).

Just title it something like "Booklord challenge essay contest" or something, preferably in bold to catch my attention. Good luck and happy reading!

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 31, 2017

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Put me down for 30. No book lord challenge.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm going to do my usual of 96 books, at least 10% nonfiction, at most 25% rereads, and the Challenge.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 30, 2017

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Put me down for 24 books and the challenge

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm just going to stick with my usual personal goal of 52 books for the year, of which at least 24 must be by women and 12 must be non-fiction (non-fiction books by women count for both).

I've started reading The Best Australian Science Writing 2012 edited by Elizabeth Finkel, which I was given for Christmas by my brother-in-law and will be my first book for 2018.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm in for 40 this year. Thanks for the mention in the OP. This year I am going to wait a few months before I ask for a wildcard and I am only going to accept one from somebody who has been participating in the challenge up to that point.

I like the idea of the bonus challenges and the discussion topics and whatnot too. I think this will be good!

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Going for 40 as well and the booklord challenge. This should be fun!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sign me up for the usual, 100 books and the full challenge.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I didn’t really start reading again until fall of this year. Found out about the challenge in December so I’m excited to do this for 2018!

Sign me up for 40 books and the challenge.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Updated second post with everyone who has signed up so far, and also updated third post with details about a prize for this year!

Orion2221
Oct 23, 2002
Count me in for the challenge and 52 books.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I'm in! 100 Books and Booklord.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Count me in for 40 books. I believe that I can meet the challenge including re-reads but I do not want to commit just yet.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I'm down! As with last year, I want to reach 52 books total, with at least 1/3 by women and at least 1/3 by writers of colour. Also the full Booklord!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

New year, new challenge :dance:

Count me in for 60 books and the booklord's challenge.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Going for 40 books and the challenge. (Read over 60 books this year but my wife is pregnant again and that's going to take up quite a bit of time, so.)

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I’m in for 52 and the challenge!
I’m also going to try to read at least 5 books published in 2018 and at least 5 out of copyright.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'll do 80 and the booklord.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I might as well put my English degree to work, right? I think I’m gonna go for 27 books this year, with the sub goal being at least 40% by women and 30% by Latin-American authors

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

I'm in for 40 and attempting the booklord challenge. I petered out of the challenge last year and only made 37 books but writing a thesis got in the way - hoping now that's nearly over I can get back to guilt free reading!

clamcake
Dec 24, 2012
What a fun idea! Count me in for 50 books and the booklord challenge.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
I had an absolute blast doing last years book lord and will happily take part in this one.

I'm going to shoot for 42 books, I will take the challenge, and my personal challenge is to read at least 12 nonfiction books and 4 different collections of poetry.

Thanks for hosting another one, I was honestly surprised by how fun it was to stretch my reading into new areas last year.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

First time doing this, I'm in for 52 books and the booklord challenge too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I didn't really maintain my reading last year for a number of personal reasons. In fact, it was the worst year for reading I've had. I'm going to try to get back to reading as a daily habit.

Still, to make things easier, I'm going to keep by goal to an easily manageable 24 books this year, and hopefully surpass that. This will give me a chance to read through some larger novels I've been putting off, as well.

I will also commit to the Book Lord Challenge.

My personal goal is to read at least 6 books given to me in the SHAMEFUL: The Greatest Books You've Never Read thread, because it's a good thread that needs more traffic/attention.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 2, 2018

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I'm in for 50 books and the first 6 parts of Booklord Challenge. I enjoyed doing the challenge last year, but want to keep it a bit simpler this time around. I also want to post more on the thread. I think the theme weeks is a great idea, I'll be sure to peek in for those.

Good luck all, happy reading!

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Last year was one of my worst reading years, too. I think I started and set down as many books as I actually finished. It just seemed like nothing was really holding my interest. So this year, my goal is 50 books. And not all popcorn books.

I'm not going to make an official goal of the booklord challenge, but I am going to evaluate myself against it at the end of the year. My personal goals are going to be:

-- At least 4 BotM books
-- At least 2 books from the shame pile (need to make a list)
-- The Chekhov, Tolstoy, and Dostoevski works covered in Nabakov's lectures on Russian literature, and the lectures themselves.
-- some significant chunk of the Bible that I haven't figured out how to define yet.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I'm in for 52 books and the booklord challenge.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm in for 36 and the challenge; I've got another kid on the way and classes to start so I don't foresee myself reading as much as I have been. Now, off to post in the last year's thread...

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
It's not like I have a lot of free time, but reading really is something should I spend more time doing, so here goes nothing! I'm going for 52 books, and I guess I'll take the challenge.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'll go for the challenge. Rather than specifying a number of books, I'll specify that I want less than 50 books in my "unread" pile at the end of the year.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Got everyone who has posted so far.

Going to wait a couple weeks for people to figure out their challenges and assign some wildcards before I post some more substantial stuff, but feel free to discuss stuff as you see fit in the meantime.

Also I am in the challenge (gotta set a good example) and could use a wildcard.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Guy A. Person posted:

Got everyone who has posted so far.

Going to wait a couple weeks for people to figure out their challenges and assign some wildcards before I post some more substantial stuff, but feel free to discuss stuff as you see fit in the meantime.

Also I am in the challenge (gotta set a good example) and could use a wildcard.

Five Rivers Met on a Wooded Plain by Barney Norris.

Could also use a wildcard.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Five Rivers Met on a Wooded Plain by Barney Norris.

Could also use a wildcard.

Enjoy My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl! It's short and funny.

I could also use a wildcard, please. Please nothing long (500+ pages).

Also, there's the Post Your Bookshelf thread, which may inspire some people to read more, or at least show off their bowed shelves.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
I'm in for 80, the Booklord, and actually posting in the dang thread each month

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sign me up for 60 books, personal challenge: at least 50% female authors and at least 10% LGBT authors. No booklord for me, unless I change my mind later?

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Enjoy My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl! It's short and funny.

I could also use a wildcard, please. Please nothing long (500+ pages).

Under the North Star by Väinö Linna in honour of the 100th anniversary of the Finnish Civil War.

It is a trilogy, but the each part is around 300 pages and this wildcard only applies to the first one.

In case the translation is impossible to find, feel free to discard the wildcard.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I'm in for 52 books and the booklord. I almost made it last year on my regular reading habits. I hadn't even signed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I refuse to back your foolish plot to read some books