Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Josh Mandel, State Treasurer of Ohio who was going to be running against Sherrod Brown in November has dropped out of the race. His stated reason was that his wife has a health issue, I wonder if Republican pessimism for the midterms factor into his decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, aparmenideanmonad, you were right. It is portage just on the opposite side of the German border. :sigh: Pretty sure that means my wife is going to go the delegate route and I will be applying for Dem Precinct Chair and Township advisor. Have to wait until later this week or next to take them to file. When the deed is done I will Post here with filling process details for any other Indiana goons interested in the process.

Edit: gonna be next week. Filing doesn’t start until the 10th for Indiana Residents and I doubt I’ll get off work until next week

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 6, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ego-bot posted:

Josh Mandel, State Treasurer of Ohio who was going to be running against Sherrod Brown in November has dropped out of the race. His stated reason was that his wife has a health issue, I wonder if Republican pessimism for the midterms factor into his decision.

Oh, I'm sure it did. No one--Republicans especially--abandon dreams of higher office this early unless they're reading some truly heinous tea leaves.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

Oh, I'm sure it did. No one--Republicans especially--abandon dreams of higher office this early unless they're reading some truly heinous tea leaves.

I mean, if his wife is literally dying I think it's pretty reasonable to want to be with her instead of on the campaign trail.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

axeil posted:

I mean, if his wife is literally dying I think it's pretty reasonable to want to be with her instead of on the campaign trail.

Newt Gingrich would like a word with you :v:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Spiffster posted:

Hey, aparmenideanmonad, you were right. It is portage just on the opposite side of the German border. :sigh: Pretty sure that means my wife is going to go the delegate route and I will be applying for Dem Precinct Chair and Township advisor. Have to wait until later this week or next to take them to file. When the deed is done I will Post here with filling process details for any other Indiana goons interested in the process.

Edit: gonna be next week. Filing doesn’t start until the 10th for Indiana Residents and I doubt I’ll get off work until next week

Welp! Does this mean you'd get to be involved with the South Shore (light rail line running from South Bend to Chicago) reroute? Infrastructure is less sexy than abortion but it's something.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Welp! Does this mean you'd get to be involved with the South Shore (light rail line running from South Bend to Chicago) reroute? Infrastructure is less sexy than abortion but it's something.

We’ll find out if I get on the committee. I’m not sure how much of that is city issue verses township.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

theres always the john edwards approach :v:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Sacramento's mayor is pretty :black101:.

Background: the head of ICE stated that California officials should be arrested over the sanctuary state laws.

https://twitter.com/Mayor_Steinberg/status/948988941364965376

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
In other CA news, Republicans are concerned they’ll gently caress themselves out of even being on the ballot for governor.

https://twitter.com/latseema/status/950113359478767616

CA has a jungle primary, in which everyone, regardless of party, runs. The top two vote getters run against each other in the general. In 2016 there were too many GOP candidates in the primary for their base to consolidate behind one, and the senate election ended up being between a liberal democrat and a conservative democrat.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
It's also looking like it'll be Feinstein and de Leon going head-to-head in November. If there's no President, Senator or Governor for conservatives to vote for it makes them much more likely to stay at home. It's pretty much a nightmare scenario for house Republicans in California. I think there's 7 of them in districts that Clinton won.

Issa's probably done. Mccarthy or Nunes getting voted out would be amazing.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
How's Rohrabacher doing? I know he's very pro-marijuana

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Last I seen he was behind 9 or 10 points to [Generic Dem Candidate]. He's probably finished too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Anyone have a layman's explanation for why some rich Republican wants to put a middleman layer between Californian voters and their state legislature, and whether it has a decent chance of passing? I never know what ridiculous ballot measures get through on a well-funded campaign over there.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Anyone have a layman's explanation for why some rich Republican wants to put a middleman layer between Californian voters and their state legislature, and whether it has a decent chance of passing? I never know what ridiculous ballot measures get through on a well-funded campaign over there.

In a blue state like California I’d assume that it means trying to add more voices to the process and dilute the state from solid blue to more of a light blue. But I could be misreading the bill proposed

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The first red flag is asynchronous elections - voting being on a different day will cause the candidates to lean much further to the right than normal.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spiffster posted:

In a blue state like California I’d assume that it means trying to add more voices to the process and dilute the state from solid blue to more of a light blue. But I could be misreading the bill proposed

You are and that's what they're hoping for. The bill doesn't add seats to the legislature, but it sure as hell tries to say that it does. The "neighborhood reps" or whatever the hell they're called have little power outside of electing (and recalling) their state rep and voting on bills. Writing and amending bills is solely in the hands of the "working group." Not to mention that, unless you're a member of the working group, you're paid a a single loving dollar. But! You still have to be involve in the state body to know what to vote on. I also like that these seats don't need to be filled.

It must be noted that "reducing legislative costs" is the reasoning provided in the initiative. Which is why this dumbass system is suggested instead of just increasing the size of the legislature.

Unsurprisingly, it's being pushed by one of the CA Republicans running for governor. In fact, he is the only supporter of this. I hope the CA Dems make swift moves against it.

Niton posted:

The first red flag is asynchronous elections - voting being on a different day will cause the candidates to lean much further to the right than normal.

You misread and the general elections aren't. The election of these neighborhood reps is the same as aways. The "working group reps" are elected in December by those reps, not by the voters.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
But wouldn’t that still have the same effect? By adding all these people to the community groups they add more people into the fray and confuse the gently caress out of everything, in turn slowing things down in turn making the state less blue. It also would allow more people to effectively be bribable because that dollar compensation didn’t go unnoticed, I’ve seen interns with higher compensation, at least they get donuts sometimes. Why spend millions lobbying one or two key people that can name their price when you can spend a fraction of that on people who are already under compensated for their time and efforts.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

nm

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My friend is famous lol

He squatted on a couple domains with some foresight concering Paul Soglin. Soglin's campaign manager reached out to him and he offered to hand them over for free in exchange for a job on the campaign. She ignored his request and demanded the domains. He put them up for auction and linked the WIGOP communications director in the same email as kind of a gently caress-you. In turn, WGOP contacted the AP.

https://www.apnews.com/2875a246e72548b7903f83b87df83a00/Soglin-supporter-offers-domain-names-for-$30,000

This is beautiful.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Madison goons, I need you. Anyone affiliated with the Soglin campaign? I want gossip

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Aliquid posted:

Madison goons, I need you. Anyone affiliated with the Soglin campaign? I want gossip
There's a Madison thread over in Goon Meets, might have luck there?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Aliquid posted:

Soglin is an awful mayor who has made Madisons homeless problem worse and let Madisons iconic State Street deteriorate into a pile of luxury student condos because he's in the pocket of the hotel industry.

If he is the dem candidate for Governor, Scott Walker will win with historic margins and declare himself emperor for life.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spiffster posted:

But wouldn’t that still have the same effect? By adding all these people to the community groups they add more people into the fray and confuse the gently caress out of everything, in turn slowing things down in turn making the state less blue. It also would allow more people to effectively be bribable because that dollar compensation didn’t go unnoticed, I’ve seen interns with higher compensation, at least they get donuts sometimes. Why spend millions lobbying one or two key people that can name their price when you can spend a fraction of that on people who are already under compensated for their time and efforts.

Not really. Most of the work of the legislature is in writing bills, not just the voting. Since those outside of the "Working Groups" have no power, except voting and removal of the real reps, these thousands of new reps don't have much sway over things. As a fun exercise, each of the 10K districts would, on average, by contested among ~4.5k voters.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Looks like North Carolina's back on the menu, boys.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
meh, this is like the third time the districts have been struck since 2011. the court order will get appealed and put on hold, and worst case scenario they're forced to draw new maps they'll time it so that they're inevitably found unconstitutional yet again after this year's elections

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there is a difference between the last time the boundaries were struck and now, which is the democratic governor. so there's at least a ghost of a chance of a neutral map being decided on, but i'm still expecting roy cooper to sign whatever gerrymandered pile of poo poo the republicans on the redistricting committee hand him, in the spirit of bipartisanship

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Venuz Patrol posted:

there is a difference between the last time the boundaries were struck and now, which is the democratic governor. so there's at least a ghost of a chance of a neutral map being decided on, but i'm still expecting roy cooper to sign whatever gerrymandered pile of poo poo the republicans on the redistricting committee hand him, in the spirit of bipartisanship

cooper's irrelevant since legislative maps in nc are exempt from governor veto

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
oh. theres literally no chance of the map rewrite benefiting democrats, then.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if by some miracle the order holds and assuming the ga doesn't bother meeting the deadline or rushes through something lovely and the court exercises its option to draw their own maps, then maybe. and i'm not joking about the not meeting deadline thing either. the state legislative maps, which have also been repeatedly struck, redrawn, struck for the same reasons are currently being redrawn by an third party hired by the federal courts because the republicans simply refused to make new maps that met constitutional requirements

another problem wrt federal congressional maps is we have nearly 800k people per district due to rapid population growth and just barely missing out on an extra seat in the 2011 reapportionment. in fact michigan has one more rep than we do despite having at least 500kabout 300k fewer people currently. so urban, presumably democratic-voting populations get diluted no matter what for the time being because you gotta squeeze that many extra people into each district until 2021

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 10, 2018

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I assume most of the population growth is in Mecklenberg county?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
them and raleigh

wake county's population surpassed mecklenburg a couple years back

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The last bit of the article said the judges "cautioned that the court would begin preparations to issue a map of its own if it found the new district lines deficient", so at least the Republicans will have to weigh the risks on how much they can advantage themselves without the court substituting its own nonpartisan map for theirs.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

cis autodrag posted:

Soglin is an awful mayor who has made Madisons homeless problem worse and let Madisons iconic State Street deteriorate into a pile of luxury student condos because he's in the pocket of the hotel industry.

If he is the dem candidate for Governor, Scott Walker will win with historic margins and declare himself emperor for life.

Ick.

There's at least six people running for this primary last I checked though, is anyone really a shoe-in?

Twitter keeps advertising this one car salesmen looking white guy to me as a candidate for Wisconsin governor and I'm super suspicious but I can't remember his name.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Hell yeah, Fourth Circuit wins again. Flipping them from one of the most conservative appeals courts in the nation to one of the most liberal is one of the understated success stories of Obama's presidency.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

The last bit of the article said the judges "cautioned that the court would begin preparations to issue a map of its own if it found the new district lines deficient", so at least the Republicans will have to weigh the risks on how much they can advantage themselves without the court substituting its own nonpartisan map for theirs.

lol no like i said they'll tie it up in court

the same thing happened this time last year with state legislative districts including an order to hold special elections this year, which they successfully had blocked

they stalled as long as possible afterward, finally submitting maps they knew would get tossed in august, which triggered the court to hire the third party, who only took two weeks to draw up maps, which are currently still being hemmed and hawed over, while the deadline to file for party primaries is in a few weeks

the ncgop has zero intent to comply with anything coming from the federal court. there's zero repercussion for what they've done so far and they're just stalling for as much time as possible to try and squeeze out one more electoral cycle using unconstitutional maps. this has been going on since 2011 and it's been the same horseshit over and over and it won't stop until these people are exiled to an island prison colony or the moon

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Sorry if this has been posted already, but to the surprise of approximately nobody, Sheriff Joe is running for Senate in AZ.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/us/joe-arpaio-senate-arizona.html

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Northam has a majority female cabinet in VA. First time in Commonwealth history!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.e55840f85ff8

He's also said he wants the legislature passing universal background checks for guns and a Medicaid expansion as well as:

quote:

During the 60-day legislative session, Northam also plans to pursue proposals to:

Have Virginia join the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, a market-based program to reduce carbon emissions.
Ensure that campaign contribution funds donated to candidates and elected officials cannot be spent for personal use.
Raise the threshold for felony larceny from $200 to $1,000.
Implement a Borrower’s Bill of Rights and create a state ombudsman for student loans.

http://www.insidenova.com/news/poli...be1a49c213.html

And in bad news, WaPo has discovered thousands of Virginians may be voting in the wrong House of Delegates district.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/local/virginia-wrong-districts/?utm_term=.9df4e09d7282

WaPo posted:

Thousands of Virginia voters may be registered in the wrong state House district, raising the possibility of election disputes.

In a statewide analysis, The Washington Post found addresses of about 6,000 registered voters that appear to lie outside a map of the assigned House district. If their turnout tracked the state average, more than 2,800 mistaken state House votes could have been cast in November. Six of the 100 delegate races were decided by fewer than 500 votes. One was decided by a coin flip.

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 10, 2018

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That’s going to be a nightmare. Holy poo poo :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

New Jersey stuff - Republicans have made the 5th congressional district (my district) one of their top seats to target, so Josh Gottheimer, our center-left representative (way better than the MAGA rep) is building a huge war chest to be ready for November. I'm waiting to see what challenges emerge from the left, because Gottheimer had some questionable votes (voted against disaster relief for god knows what loving reason) this year, but I'll be voting for him again because this district is finally tilting to the left after years and years of Republican nonsense. http://observer.com/2017/12/year-in-review-gottheimer-is-building-a-wall-of-money/

Phil Murphy is trying to do a tax workaround for the elimination of SALT and the hard cap on state and local taxes - I don't want to dilute the goal with a lovely explanation, so here's a link.

I think I'm gonna try and get involved this year or next year after I finish up school

• Locked thread