Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Carlosologist posted:

New Jersey stuff - Republicans have made the 5th congressional district (my district) one of their top seats to target, so Josh Gottheimer, our center-left representative (way better than the MAGA rep) is building a huge war chest to be ready for November. I'm waiting to see what challenges emerge from the left, because Gottheimer had some questionable votes (voted against disaster relief for god knows what loving reason) this year, but I'll be voting for him again because this district is finally tilting to the left after years and years of Republican nonsense. http://observer.com/2017/12/year-in-review-gottheimer-is-building-a-wall-of-money/

Phil Murphy is trying to do a tax workaround for the elimination of SALT and the hard cap on state and local taxes - I don't want to dilute the goal with a lovely explanation, so here's a link.

I think I'm gonna try and get involved this year or next year after I finish up school

The work-around is basically set up a charity that funds state projects; allow you to deduct donations to that charity 1:1 from your state taxes, then claim the charitable deduction (not capped) on your federal taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Per WaPo, there will be no special election declared before the House of Delegates sits, meaning the 28th is certified as of now. 51-49 GOP in Virginia.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Per WaPo, there will be no special election declared before the House of Delegates sits, meaning the 28th is certified as of now. 51-49 GOP in Virginia.

What happens if someone happens to dangle no-show lucrative executive office jobs in front of House members? Special election, or the seat is just vacant?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

evilweasel posted:

The work-around is basically set up a charity that funds state projects; allow you to deduct donations to that charity 1:1 from your state taxes, then claim the charitable deduction (not capped) on your federal taxes.

oh, that's actually a really cool and good idea! thanks for the explanation

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

evilweasel posted:

What happens if someone happens to dangle no-show lucrative executive office jobs in front of House members? Special election, or the seat is just vacant?

The former. We haven't had news of any such appointments, though, so I assume nobody has been willing to be the first one to jump ship yet. (Alternatively, they're just waiting to vote in a Republican Speaker before they sell out their party.)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Sorry if this has been posted already, but to the surprise of approximately nobody, Sheriff Joe is running for Senate in AZ.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/us/joe-arpaio-senate-arizona.html

Good.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Ego-bot posted:

It's also looking like it'll be Feinstein and de Leon going head-to-head in November. If there's no President, Senator or Governor for conservatives to vote for it makes them much more likely to stay at home. It's pretty much a nightmare scenario for house Republicans in California. I think there's 7 of them in districts that Clinton won.

Issa's probably done. Mccarthy or Nunes getting voted out would be amazing.

Issa just announced he's not running for re-election this year. Guess he decided to spend more time stealing cars and burning down his own buildings for the insurance money with his family.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

axeil posted:

He's also said he wants the legislature passing universal background checks for guns and a Medicaid expansion as well as:
:thunk: Hold the phone, I thought we were supposed to ignore everything Northam says?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Remember the Clinic I mentioned earlier in the thread? Yeah Walorski was posting statements saying she was going to do everything in her power to keep them from opening and somehow got the health commissioner to reject their medical license so it is now revoked. They are going to appeal the decision but it’s Indiana in a heavy catholic area with a red state backing so it’s going to be rough. This article doesn’t mention her specifically but she was bragging about this on face book and her previous statements show she did something.

My primary goal as of now is to do whatever it takes to make sure Walorski is done. She has not held a town hall in years, does crap like this and embarrasses this state on a regular basis. :rant:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kilroy posted:

:thunk: Hold the phone, I thought we were supposed to ignore everything Northam says?

Eh, make fun of him for the stuff he's still wrong about, not the stuff he's blundered into being right about.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lightning Knight posted:

Eh, make fun of him for the stuff he's still wrong about, not the stuff he's blundered into being right about.

The stuff he got hit for suggesting earlier was the blunder. Everything in Axeil's post is stuff that's been part of the campaign since forever. (It's also good and, relevantly, mostly stuff that can potentially earn one or two Republican defectors to pass. We'll see if the almost-deadlock increases the risk of Republican defectors or causes them to tighten their ranks.)

Quorum fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 10, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/951142875848368128

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/951174402531508224

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I live in Wyoming and wish for something resembling the 2006 district-at-large US House election where the Democratic nominee has a chance, but I think Gary Trauner only ever had a chance because even Republicans were over Barbara Cubin. Cynthia Lummis bailed in 2016 so she was just around for long enough that her entire tenure in the House was voting against the Democrats and Obama. There's no way in hell that Liz Cheney is getting voted out of office unless coal in Wyoming completely dies by the end of the summer.

And I think that's really what it will take for a Democrat to win a senate seat or US house seat in Wyoming--Republicans promising to bring back coal jobs and that industry never being able to revive. This state lost one percent of its population in 2016 and likely about as much in 2017 while people who lost their oil or coal jobs migrate to North Dakota. Meanwhile, Boise and Salt Lake City are going through population growths of all loving places in the Rocky Mountain West.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 11, 2018

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/951311878063558657

To be more clear, he was the one doing the blackmailing.

He gone, right? posted:

In a recording obtained by News 4, a woman says she had a sexual encounter with Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens and that he tried to blackmail her to keep the encounter quiet.

The details were provided to News 4 by the woman’s ex-husband, claiming the sexual relationship happened between his now ex-wife and Greitens in March 2015. News 4 is not naming the woman and she has not made an on-the-record comment about the story.

According to the ex-husband, the recording was made just days after Greitens’ and the woman’s first sexual encounter. And also that Greitens took a photograph during the encounter to use as “blackmail” according to the ex-husband.
[snip]

The woman said that when the sexual encounter began that Saturday and said it was consensual.

Woman: "He said: "I'll make you feel better. I'll make you feel good. Come downstairs. I want to show you how to do a proper pull-up. And I knew he was being sexual and I still let him. And he used some sort of tape, I don't what it was, and taped my hands to these rings and then put a blindfold on me.”

She went on to say that some of his actions-scared her.

Woman: "I didn't even know. I feel like I don't even know. I was just numb. I just stood there and didn't (expletive) know."

She went on, describing what Greitens allegedly did next that made her feel sick.

Woman: “He stepped back, I saw a flash through the blindfold and he said: "you're never going to mention my name, otherwise there will be pictures of me everywhere."

There's an extra element in this story-it's not the woman coming forward, but her exhusband. He claims it's because they've been receiving investigation and harassment from law enforcement and reporters-to the point of leaving voicemails on their daughters phone. It's clearly newsworthy and should be the end of his career (and he was a rising star, to the extent this GOP has them), but the ex sending a secret recording of a conversation with his then-wife to media outlets is... :chloe:

e: additional context-
https://twitter.com/JackSuntrup/status/951317714265608192

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 11, 2018

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

gently caress Eric Greitens

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Spiffster posted:

Remember the Clinic I mentioned earlier in the thread? Yeah Walorski was posting statements saying she was going to do everything in her power to keep them from opening and somehow got the health commissioner to reject their medical license so it is now revoked. They are going to appeal the decision but it’s Indiana in a heavy catholic area with a red state backing so it’s going to be rough. This article doesn’t mention her specifically but she was bragging about this on face book and her previous statements show she did something.

My primary goal as of now is to do whatever it takes to make sure Walorski is done. She has not held a town hall in years, does crap like this and embarrasses this state on a regular basis. :rant:

Walorski took Donnelly's old seat when he pulled off the Senate win in 2012 right? Maybe you'll have some luck from his reelection campaign as I imagine he'll want to shore up his old base.

I'm stuck in the old Bloody Eighth and I'd like to see Bucshon out on his rear end. William Tanoos is our man for the moment, though former Evansville mayor Jonathan Weinzapfel is also considering a run. Tanoos starred in a movie about a grandson of Eugene Debbs running for governor, which would be hilarious to see become a campaign issue. Weinzapfel would probably win the primary if he gets in, but he hasn't announced yet.

Good luck and give 'em hell.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
T-Mac's official portrait as Governor will show him working on restoring voting rights for felons as he considers it his best accomplishment.

Terry McAuliffe may have been the best VA Governor in something like 20 years, which blows my mind.

http://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...51d10869fc.html

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I was looking at the PVI for governor races, and is there a chance that the blue wave reaches there as well? Right now we hold 20 governorships, and assuming we hold all our current seats, I think there is a possibility that we win in Maine, New Mexico, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, Florida, and Wisconsin. those are all range between D+5 and R+3, and I think there's a chance we even out the gubernatorial map. Obviously, Dem candidates need to be in tune with local issues and provide actual solutions as opposed to "Trump bad, vote me!!!"

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Spiffster posted:

Ugggggh, yeah it's pretty frustrating how obviously this is being held up in bad faith. And it's also maddening how many otherwise liberal Catholics I know who keep voting for her because of this kind of stuff. She (some PAC) will absolutely pull this out as a victory in campaign ads this year if things get close. But I worry that it won't because the dem candidates are all new to politics and don't have a lot of name recognition (aside from the business and university associations), and this has been a problem since Walorski got voted in.

Paracaidas posted:

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/951311878063558657

To be more clear, he was the one doing the blackmailing.

There's an extra element in this story-it's not the woman coming forward, but her exhusband. He claims it's because they've been receiving investigation and harassment from law enforcement and reporters-to the point of leaving voicemails on their daughters phone. It's clearly newsworthy and should be the end of his career (and he was a rising star, to the extent this GOP has them), but the ex sending a secret recording of a conversation with his then-wife to media outlets is... :chloe:

e: additional context-
https://twitter.com/JackSuntrup/status/951317714265608192
:wow:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
x-post from Trump thread:

:stare:

I'm speechless. He needs to go to prison.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Dear fuckinglord that Missouri Governor :smithicide:

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

our fat governor who refused to do a debate without seats and changed parties awhile back from democrat to republican did his annual state of the state last night

he had lots of props https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elWE465A3cE

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
DSA chapters in the southeast are organizing a series of talks by Tim Faust on medicare for all:

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/950902196887019520

Though details are not finalized for all of the talks, the majority of them will be broadcast either via youtube or facebook. More importantly for the purposes of this thread, the vast majority of them will also include local democratic candidates. In Arkansas, it includes democratic candidates for AR-1, AR-2 and AR-4:

http://www.paulspencer2018.com/healthcareforalltownhall

In Georgia, it will include a local candidate for GA-09

https://twitter.com/NortheastGADSA/status/951637346188910592

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

What in the world is up with Minnesota's 7th district? R+12 and held by a Dem? If it was in the south I'd assume it was a district that hadn't quite caught up w/ realignment, but in the upper midwest I have no idea.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the other big thing about Eric loving Greitens is that he has managed to piss off a lot of senior GOP legislators, including his own LtGov, with some of his stupid decisions. plus he was a huge proponent of Right-To-Work-For-Less, which he signed but can be over-ruled by a referendum (and groups here got something like 400,000 registered signatures on a petition so we're getting that referendum).

his AG is also trying to run for Senate later this year so it'll be interesting to see how it proceeds. but the number of 50 Shades jokes have been off the charts.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Troy Queef posted:

his AG is also trying to run for Senate later this year so it'll be interesting to see how it proceeds. but the number of 50 Shades jokes have been off the charts.

I have zero faith in this garbage rear end terrible state in general, but I'm still not sure what to make of McCaskill's re-election chances. I know next to nothing about Hawley.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Doctor Teeth posted:

What in the world is up with Minnesota's 7th district? R+12 and held by a Dem? If it was in the south I'd assume it was a district that hadn't quite caught up w/ realignment, but in the upper midwest I have no idea.

Peterson is a longterm incumbent, one of the more conservative Dems in the house, and carries a big stick on Ag which is crucial for his (gigantic and sparsely populated) district. As a note, he won reelection despite Trump taking his district 62-31.

Depending on your flavor of left, he's either the sort of politician that cost the Dems the Midwest and Rust Belt or he's the sort of politician Dems need to take it back.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lol no like i said they'll tie it up in court

the ncgop has zero intent to comply with anything coming from the federal court. there's zero repercussion for what they've done so far and they're just stalling for as much time as possible to try and squeeze out one more electoral cycle using unconstitutional maps. this has been going on since 2011 and it's been the same horseshit over and over and it won't stop until these people are exiled to an island prison colony or the moon

as i was saying

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article194451309.html

quote:

RALEIGH — Republican lawmakers are appealing to the U.S. Supreme Court to block the ruling this week that struck down North Carolina’s congressional districts – at least temporarily – and they want an answer by Jan. 22.

Phil Strach, the Raleigh-based attorney representing Republican lawmakers in the partisan gerrymandering case, stated in his 22-page request for an emergency stay on the order issued Tuesday that a three-judge panel “has used an entirely novel legal theory to hopelessly disrupt North Carolina’s upcoming congressional elections.”

quote:

“Simply put, after taking months to issue an opinion adopting multiple entirely novel theories of partisan gerrymandering, the three-judge court has given the General Assembly just two weeks to draw a third congressional map, which is sufficiently unlikely to pass the court’s muster that the court has already decided to have a special master draw a competing map,” Strach said in his court filing. “Having already ignored the prerogatives of the political branches to play the primary role in elections to that degree, it is no surprise that the district court apparently does not even intend to decide which map to impose in time to comply with upcoming voter assignment and filing periods.”

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Would a supreme court ruling on gerrymanding in north carolina have repercussions elsewhere in the country, or would it be completely localized?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they heard a similar case from wisconsin last october

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Venuz Patrol posted:

Would a supreme court ruling on gerrymanding in north carolina have repercussions elsewhere in the country, or would it be completely localized?

The argument is that political gerrymandering violates the constitution, so it would have repercussions everywhere.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
also worth noting one of the nc state senators who drew the rejected maps had this to say after previous ones were rejected for illegal racial gerrymander

quote:

In an effort to make it clear that race had not been considered in the drawing of the 2016 maps, Lewis made a comment that provided the underpinnings for the partisan gerrymander case.

“I propose that we draw the maps to give a partisan advantage to 10 Republicans and three Democrats because I do not believe it’s possible to draw a map with eleven Republicans and two Democrats,” Lewis said at the time.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Doctor Teeth posted:

gently caress Eric Greitens

Jesus Christ a thousand times this fellow Missourian. Nixon was the only thing keeping us from being kansas and now we're on the way, with nothing realistically stopping us or even slowing us down till 2020.

Fight. On.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

"How dare the court assume that we'd not comply with their decision like we have several other times" :argh: - NC GOP

Venuz Patrol posted:

The better question would be: what does the Supreme Court's decision regarding this stay mean for the Wisconsin case? And, actually, could this force them to issue the Wisconsin ruling early?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BirdOfPlay posted:

The better question would be: what does the Supreme Court's decision regarding this stay mean for the Wisconsin case? And, actually, could this force them to issue the Wisconsin ruling early?

If they deny a stay that's relatively good for the Wisconsin case, it suggests Kennedy has not decided those cases are nonjusticible. However the evidence here is so hilariously blatant I could see a stay being denied: usually "how much is too much" is a hard question, but a Republican laying out the specific election result he wants to make happen and writing it in the instructions for the map, and hitting that in the election, seems like a gimme.

Nothing can force the Supreme Court to issue the Wisconsin ruling early. They won't, because it's a Big loving Deal if it goes the challengers' way and will want to get the details exactly right since it will lead to a lot more litigation.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

If they deny a stay that's relatively good for the Wisconsin case, it suggests Kennedy has not decided those cases are nonjusticible. However the evidence here is so hilariously blatant I could see a stay being denied: usually "how much is too much" is a hard question, but a Republican laying out the specific election result he wants to make happen and writing it in the instructions for the map, and hitting that in the election, seems like a gimme.

Nothing can force the Supreme Court to issue the Wisconsin ruling early. They won't, because it's a Big loving Deal if it goes the challengers' way and will want to get the details exactly right since it will lead to a lot more litigation.

Wouldn't they be able to just roll the NC decision into the WI one?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Wouldn't they be able to just roll the NC decision into the WI one?

Yes but they may not see a need to given how blatant the facts are.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Yes but they may not see a need to given how blatant the facts are.

Well, unless they are going to rule in WI that everything is fine, then you'd expect them to think NC is fine too.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Well, unless they are going to rule in WI that everything is fine, then you'd expect them to think NC is fine too.

I doubt Kennedy's going to rule that partisan gerrymandering is ok, he just might not feel they've proven it in WI with a standard that can be applied nationwide. But NC's facts are just so hilariously blatant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

joepinetree posted:

DSA chapters in the southeast are organizing a series of talks by Tim Faust on medicare for all:

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/950902196887019520

Though details are not finalized for all of the talks, the majority of them will be broadcast either via youtube or facebook. More importantly for the purposes of this thread, the vast majority of them will also include local democratic candidates. In Arkansas, it includes democratic candidates for AR-1, AR-2 and AR-4:

http://www.paulspencer2018.com/healthcareforalltownhall

In Georgia, it will include a local candidate for GA-09

https://twitter.com/NortheastGADSA/status/951637346188910592

Im involved with Asheville (North Carolina) DSA and we are hosting him on January 30th at the West Asheville Public Library , 7pm.

Alas we havent brought in any candidates :\

• Locked thread