Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

I doubt Kennedy's going to rule that partisan gerrymandering is ok, he just might not feel they've proven it in WI with a standard that can be applied nationwide. But NC's facts are just so hilariously blatant.

Reminder that the previous racial gerrymandering case was open and shut because somebody literally sent an email that said "hey can you send me information on voting patterns for black voters?" And then immediately did like 4 things to target black voters

Edit: wait, I'm thinking of the NC voter suppression thing. It's why we had restored early voting days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
nah they did that as well as part of the initial state district mapmaking process in 2011

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If it can be semi-competently proven that the motive was partisan gerrymandering and not racial (or at the very loving least present evidence that a Republican majority was the primary objective), what's the constitutional basis to rule against this? I'm in favor of both multi-member districts (states, or hell, the US) decided by PR, as well as setting the constitution on fire and re-writing everything to my favor; but what's the legal basis to separate racial from partisan gerrymandering? Intent? When emails don't exist and it's just Texas Democrats dressing up in chicken suits and living in Oklahoma City hotels, what does a judge do?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Aliquid posted:

If it can be semi-competently proven that the motive was partisan gerrymandering and not racial (or at the very loving least present evidence that a Republican majority was the primary objective), what's the constitutional basis to rule against this? I'm in favor of both multi-member districts (states, or hell, the US) decided by PR, as well as setting the constitution on fire and re-writing everything to my favor; but what's the legal basis to separate racial from partisan gerrymandering? Intent? When emails don't exist and it's just Texas Democrats dressing up in chicken suits and living in Oklahoma City hotels, what does a judge do?

Racial gerrymandering is specifically disallowed because there are specific laws and constitutional amendments prohibiting racial discrimination in voting.

There are a number of hooks you can use for non-racial partisan gerrymandering - it's discrimination on the basis of first amendment rights - but the basic theory is that look, this is a democracy, and that means that the people need to have a meaningful ability to replace their representatives. The problem is how you draw the line, but in this case, where a Republican specifically listed out what his preferred outcome was and that the only reason it wasn't more extreme was he thought it was mathmatically impossible, fits any standard.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Forms are filled out and going to get them notarized. Later this week I file my papers to officially be on a ballot. For those wondering how Indiana does it’s ballot entry for non federal offices here are the steps You have to take.

1. There are specific forms for office that have to be printed off and filled out. Depending on if it is a local office or political office there will be a form to back it up. I had to fill out three forms in total. Indiana Form Can-12 states my financial conflicts of interest (what businesses and jobs me and my family have ties to) the Can 2(intent to be placed on the Ballot for a non political elected position) and the Can 37 (for precinct chair which IS a political position, this form is also used for electing Delegates for the party conventions ). All three of these must be signed in front of a notary

2. If you are getting placed on a primary ballot in Indiana You have to prove party affiliation and that you are in the proper district lines. To do the prior you can do it in one of two ways.

One is if you voted in the past primary you had to declare at the polling location which ballot you wanted which confirms your party affiliation (Indiana is open primary). If you go to the voter registration office for your party they can confirm that and also confirm for you that you are eligible to run in that township/city/county/ etc. the other option being getting the County chair for the party writing an affirmation to you being eligible for the ballot. If you do that option you will need to still confirm that you are eligible to run in that area so you still have to go to voter reg office for that. County rules vary so double check that those rules are fully accurate for you.

3. Once you have your forms and they are notorized and you have documentation confirming that you are eligible on all accounts, Filing with the clerk is the final step and they should hopefully double check everything to make sure you have met the qualifications. Your mileage may vary depending on how willing they are to work with you but they should confirm if you made it. The states election website will update once a day to confirm who state wide is running.

Will share my personal experiences once I officially file later this week ( I have to sign in front of the notary Tuesday). I will try to share time it took from entrance to exit to give you an idea.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The VA GOP appears to have learned from the election and has not (and does not plan to) file any bills in the VA General Assembly or Senate about right-wing hot button issues.

They also cite the absence of known shithead Bob Marshall, the delegate Danica Roem beat as another major reason.

http://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...01db217601.html

quote:

After election wipeout, Va. House Republicans avoid hot-button bills on abortion, LGBT rights

In addition to more than a dozen departed Republicans, something else seems to have gone missing this year from the Virginia House of Delegates: conservative bills on contentious social issues like abortion and LGBT rights.

More than 1,300 pieces of legislation have been filed in the House so far, but there are no bathroom bills, no bills to protect opposition to gay marriage and no bills to restrict access to abortion.

The filing deadline isn’t until Friday, but many of the Republican lawmakers who attached their names to headline-grabbing bills in past sessions say they won’t push the legislation again in the 2018 session. Several GOP legislators attributed the shift directly to the election last year, when Democrats easily kept control of the Executive Mansion and picked up an additional 15 seats in the House.

“I just think people see the new reality in which we exist,” said House Majority Leader Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah, who is not planning to file legislation similar to his 2016 religious freedom bill that LGBT rights advocates called a “license to discriminate.”

With Republicans now holding a slim, 51-49 majority, a few GOP defections could have doomed social-issue bills that passed the House in previous years. Gov. Ralph Northam, a Democrat who was sworn into office Saturday, has pledged to veto such bills should they make it to his desk.

Gilbert said there was no order from above instructing the Republican rank-and-file to avoid hot-button social issues. The shift was “organic,” he said, driven by the fact that the Republican position is clearly no stronger this year than it was in previous sessions when the House GOP passed social-issue legislation only to see it vetoed by then-Gov. Terry McAuliffe.

“People are free to put in things that they feel strongly about,” Gilbert said. “But I think a lot of folks are not going to want to beat their head against the wall either.”

Gilbert’s 2016 bill would have granted broad legal protections to private entities that don’t support gay marriage or transgender people. Gilbert described the bill as a protective measure to prevent religious people from being punished by government due to their faith, but Democrats and activist groups denounced the bill as sanctioning discrimination against LGBT people.

Del. Nick Freitas, R-Culpeper, who sponsored a similar religious-freedom bill last year, said he too is not planning a similar push in 2018. The partisan makeup of the legislature and the governor’s office, Freitas said, “obviously has an effect on which issues you should make a priority.”

Now running for U.S. Senate as perhaps the most mainstream-friendly candidate in a Republican primary field that includes Corey Stewart and E.W. Jackson, Freitas said he put in the religious freedom bill last year because he wanted to be reassured that an executive order McAuliffe signed to ban companies that discriminate against LGBT people from getting state contracts wouldn’t strip funding from religious entities that do charitable work.

Even though McAuliffe vetoed the bill, Freitas said, he was convinced McAuliffe’s order wouldn’t have the impact he feared it might.

“The point I wanted to make was, there are a lot of ways that we can ensure greater equality in Virginia,” Freitas said. “But trying to make a political point on the backs of poor, hungry, sick and addicted people who rely on a lot of these religious charities to support them was not the way to do it.”

On abortion rights, the most sweeping Republican proposal to pass the House in recent years — a bill to ban most abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy — seems to be gone.

The bill’s patron in past years — Del. Dave LaRock, R-Loudoun — said he has no plans to file it again his year because of the “different balance” in the legislature.

LaRock said he wasn’t advised to abandon the bill, but the Republicans want to focus on making “incremental improvements” on economic issues and transportation to “allow our more practical focuses to be the most visible.”

LaRock has filed a few abortion-related bills, but none as sweeping as the 20-week ban. One of his bills dealing with perinatal hospice would require health care providers to inform women whose fetuses have abnormalities that make life outside the womb unviable about alternative care options that don’t involve terminating the pregnancy.

Another would require written parental consent before students could take family life classes at public schools.

To some extent, the toned-down tenor of the House Republican bills can be chalked up to the new absence of one particular delegate.

“Bob Marshall’s not here anymore,” House Minority Leader David Toscano, D-Charlottesville, said when asked about the tamer crop of GOP bills. “That takes away about 20 bills right there.”

Former Del. Bob Marshall, a Prince William Republican who lost his seat last year, was behind many of the most socially conservative bills introduced during his two decades in the House.

Del. Danica Roem, D-Prince William, a former journalist who made history by becoming the first transgender person elected to the state legislature, said she announced her candidacy just as Marshall introduced a North Carolina-style bill to block transgender people from using the bathroom that corresponds to their gender identity. A year later, she said, “those bills are not here.”

“But I am,” Roem said.

“The fact that no anti-LGBT bills have been filed so far this session means that legislators have heard loud and clear that voters will not tolerate legislators who don’t support gay and transgender Virginians,” said Joseph Papa, a spokesman for Equality Virginia, an LGBT-rights group that monitors the General Assembly.

Alexsis Rodgers, a spokeswoman for Virginia League of Planned Parenthood, said her organization has also noticed the absence of “egregious” abortion bills in the early stages of the 60-day session.

“We’re keeping a watchful eye out for anything that might still pop up, but I’m very hopeful that this will be a productive session where we make progress for reproductive health and rights,” Rodgers said in an email.

The trend is also not lost on The Family Foundation, a conservative organization that advocates pro-life policies and traditional views on marriage.

Chris Freund, a spokesman for The Family Foundation, said the perennial debate about funding for Planned Parenthood could emerge in the budget process.

But by and large, Freund said, Republican lawmakers “recognize the division.”

“It’s a 50-50 state,” Freund said. “And I think that they’re going to want to get through this session and find the things that are as bipartisan as possible.”

Though the GOP majority may be avoiding the most contentious social debates, several Republicans said Democrats seem to be filing more bills than ever on abortion and LGBT issues.

Adding to the usual bills to enshrine abortion as an unassailable right for women and establish stronger anti-discrimination and hate-crime laws protecting LGBT people, House Democrats have filed bills to require the state government health plan to cover gender transition services, ban all “sexual orientation change efforts” by health care providers or counselors and remove a rule that requires two additional doctors to determine a woman’s life is in danger before a third-trimester abortion can be performed.

Things are looking up in the Commonwealth! :unsmith:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

axeil posted:

The VA GOP appears to have learned from the election and has not (and does not plan to) file any bills in the VA General Assembly or Senate about right-wing hot button issues.

They also cite the absence of known shithead Bob Marshall, the delegate Danica Roem beat as another major reason.

http://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...01db217601.html

Things are looking up in the Commonwealth! :unsmith:

Good. Moving the Overton window doesn't just allow for more left ideas to be suggested in the policy space, it also disallows extremist right ones.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Here's a story from Teen Vogue about four special elections tomorrow: Wisconsin State Assembly and Senate, South Carolina State House, and Pennsylvania State House.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Here's a story from Teen Vogue about four special elections tomorrow

I'm too old.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

farraday posted:

I'm too old.

teen vogue rules

e: I misremembered - it was a cosmopolitan interview that ivanka trump walked out of after being asked about her maternity leave plan, not teen vogue. So cosmopolitan rules, actually. But teen vogue does have some interesting think pieces on why ivanka trump's white house office and security clearance are problematic. So teen vogue still rules too.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 16, 2018

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

awesmoe posted:

teen vogue rules

e: I misremembered - it was a cosmopolitan interview that ivanka trump walked out of after being asked about her maternity leave plan, not teen vogue. So cosmopolitan rules, actually. But teen vogue does have some interesting think pieces on why ivanka trump's white house office and security clearance are problematic. So teen vogue still rules too.

Hard political interviews are one thing, guides to local special elections are ... just....
I'm not sure they're on the radar of most newspapers and teen vogue is making sure whatever tiny intersection of its readers may exist in 4 state districts know there's an election.

What is this even.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

farraday posted:

Hard political interviews are one thing, guides to local special elections are ... just....
I'm not sure they're on the radar of most newspapers and teen vogue is making sure whatever tiny intersection of its readers may exist in 4 state districts know there's an election.

What is this even.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Welteroth#Influence_on_Teen_Vogue

but: https://fashionista.com/2018/01/elaine-welteroth-leaves-teen-vogue :(

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I guess her brand of progressive writing for teens is no longer in vogue.

I'll show myself out.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

farraday posted:

What is this even.

A good thing?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I guess her brand of progressive writing for teens is no longer in vogue.

I'll show myself out.

She probably has a better job offer.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

awesmoe posted:

teen vogue rules

The Teen Vogue Guide to Anal Sex is, concise, informative, and one of the most bizarre cultural artifacts of the past twenty years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The Teen Vogue Guide to Anal Sex is, concise, informative, and one of the most bizarre cultural artifacts of the past twenty years.

There's probably some pretty stiff competition for that.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Former Governor Chris Christie

:toot:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Summer Lee kick off went pretty well
https://twitter.com/pghDSAPAC/status/953061880297410561
Hope we can kick that Costa scum out of the city and make Fetterman look like an idiot supporting him over our endorsed DSA member candidate

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Local elections in Wisconsin looked promising!
https://twitter.com/thedlcc/status/953468228008857601

Trump won that seat by nearly 20 points last time. Holy gently caress

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ActorAaronBooth/status/953468401619521536

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Former Governor Chris Christie

:toot:

I can't believe this state is going to turn into a giant weed garden

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Because I was curious: Dems only won one of these - but the one they won in Wisconsin has the state GOP in an absolute panic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-republicans/

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

evilweasel posted:

Because I was curious: Dems only won one of these - but the one they won in Wisconsin has the state GOP in an absolute panic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-republicans/

I think your link is broken.
here it is again.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lawman 0 posted:

I can't believe this state is going to turn into a giant weed garden

Well it is the Garden state. It should have been from day one

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
T-Paw has ruled out running for either MN-Sen seat in 2018, but is leaving the door open to running for governor.

Still nervous that a chunk of Minnesotans will vote for Klobuchar and then for Smith's opponent out of "fairness" and "balance".

Dem gov race looks like a 5 way battle headed up by Chris Coleman (outgoing St Paul mayor), Tim Walz (congressman from Mankato, endorsed by popular ex mpls mayor Rybak and Walter Mondale), and Erin Murphy (state rep from wealthy st paul district, endorsed by most of the D women in senate and Our Revolution MN). Also possible are auditor Rebecca Otto and AG Lori Swanson, who have actually won statewide before.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/JesseFFerguson/status/953737444360417280

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spiffster posted:

Local elections in Wisconsin looked promising!
https://twitter.com/thedlcc/status/953468228008857601

Trump won that seat by nearly 20 points last time. Holy gently caress

:golfclap: I don't live in her district but I'm glad she won. :unsmith:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

:allears:

That's right, Senate Rules Committee, bury the endlessly popular piece of legislation. 2019 is two years away next year and both houses will be up then.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

:golfclap: I don't live in her district but I'm glad she won. :unsmith:

Sometimes you gotta be happy for others. I’m Not even in the state :unsmith:

Was going to file today but work got slammed and my notary couldn’t get my files done. Looking like Monday is the day. Can’t wait to be on a drat ballot :aaaaa:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spiffster posted:

Was going to file today but work got slammed and my notary couldn’t get my files done. Looking like Monday is the day. Can’t wait to be on a drat ballot :aaaaa:

Yeah I was furiously googling on Monday to make sure I didn't have to go register vote for her, since my current registration is not where I'm living due to college. :patriot:

Aw poo poo, whatcha running for?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/sbauerAP/status/953478800628690949

:3:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Went to a local (SE Michigan) democratic club meeting tonight, and got to listen to both Dana Nessel, who's running for AG, and Abdul El-Sayed, who's running for governor. Gotta say, I really liked them both, especially Abdul-guy's young, intelligent, charismatic, and ambitious, and got to the root of a lot of critical issues that are facing the state. Definitely gonna try to put in some time volunteering for the guy when I get a chance.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah I was furiously googling on Monday to make sure I didn't have to go register vote for her, since my current registration is not where I'm living due to college. :patriot:

Aw poo poo, whatcha running for?

On the ballot for two things. One is more political oriented though. Precinct Chair for the Democrats in my Township and also advisory board for the township as well. The Chair is focused on driving out and registering people to vote and doing basic things like promoting candidates and what not while the latter position is actually helping shape the township. Think legislator but much smaller.

My wife who is a goon on the forums is also running for state Delegate to help shape the Indiana Dems platform for 2018 and beyond.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Went to a local (SE Michigan) democratic club meeting tonight, and got to listen to both Dana Nessel, who's running for AG, and Abdul El-Sayed, who's running for governor. Gotta say, I really liked them both, especially Abdul-guy's young, intelligent, charismatic, and ambitious, and got to the root of a lot of critical issues that are facing the state. Definitely gonna try to put in some time volunteering for the guy when I get a chance.

My wife and I are rooting hard for El-Sayed from just across the border to the south. She grew up Muslim in SE Asia and is happy to see herself in local Midwestern American politics even if she doesn't buy into most of the doctrine these days.

Spiffster posted:

On the ballot for two things. One is more political oriented though. Precinct Chair for the Democrats in my Township and also advisory board for the township as well. The Chair is focused on driving out and registering people to vote and doing basic things like promoting candidates and what not while the latter position is actually helping shape the township. Think legislator but much smaller.

My wife who is a goon on the forums is also running for state Delegate to help shape the Indiana Dems platform for 2018 and beyond.

Haven't replied to all your posts recently but I'm following the process stuff avidly for when I have time some day to get involved like you're doing. Keep us posted on how it goes.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Spiffster posted:

If you're comfortable at some point, post your campaign site so we can fund you! Will also be a good test case to see if your opposition looks up your post history and uses it against you. :getin:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The Macaroni posted:

If you're comfortable at some point, post your campaign site so we can fund you! Will also be a good test case to see if your opposition looks up your post history and uses it against you. :getin:

Not sure if I will get a campaign site. This is pretty small scale stuff. Will talk with the party reps though for guidance once it’s official though.

Gotta cover campaign finance rules and what not

As for post history, in for a penny, in for a pound. :getin:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Spiffster posted:

Not sure if I will get a campaign site. This is pretty small scale stuff. Will talk with the party reps though for guidance once it’s official though.

Gotta cover campaign finance rules and what not

As for post history, in for a penny, in for a pound. :getin:

I long for the day a major political candidate has to explain goatse on national television.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Quorum posted:

I long for the day a major political candidate has to explain goatse on national television.

Only if I can get the huge cardboard print of it as a prop and present it on the senate floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
:laffo:

https://twitter.com/lawrencehurley/status/954132182490116096
https://twitter.com/scotusreporter/status/954132667087323137

• Locked thread