Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Kashuno posted:

Everything you just said is like the exact problem with people who claim vanilla Town. You are helping scum way more than us

I'd actually kinda like to know more about this position because I've heard it brought up before but never gotten a satisfactory explanation why it's believed this is the case, particularly on Day 1. (I know he's not exactly claiming VT here, but I'd still like to understand the point.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Vanilla town is an non-self-verifiable claim of a role of extremely low value for the NK

It puts power roles at greater risk and cannot be proven by itself, meaning it’s a completely free scum fakeclaim at all times, just behind miller.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

GeneX posted:

...what?

Explain. Not the definition of rolefishing, but rather why on earth you think Kashuno is doing it

How is giving a rough idea of combat effectiveness anything like claiming VT?

While it might slightly inform Texas' targeting choices, it also gives support players info, as well as making it less likely for us to get wiped out.

Yeah, it's my personal opinion/decision to share it, but general info (ranged support, ranged damage dealing, melee damage dealing) gives great information for battle planning without giving much more information to the other thread than they already have from our rank preferences.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

GeneX posted:

Vanilla town is an non-self-verifiable claim of a role of extremely low value for the NK

It puts power roles at greater risk and cannot be proven by itself, meaning it’s a completely free scum fakeclaim at all times, just behind miller.

Sure, but it can be disproven very easily by town PRs if they're ever seen moving in the night, etc, so it doesn't seem to me like it's that much of a "free claim."

This is a little bit of a tangent so we don't need to go down this road too much farther, but the logic just doesn't add up to me.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

How is giving a rough idea of combat effectiveness anything like claiming VT?

While it might slightly inform Texas' targeting choices, it also gives support players info, as well as making it less likely for us to get wiped out.

Yeah, it's my personal opinion/decision to share it, but general info (ranged support, ranged damage dealing, melee damage dealing) gives great information for battle planning without giving much more information to the other thread than they already have from our rank preferences.

but, like, that's not rolefishing

Kashuno was asking you to NOT give out role info, not fishing for info

I think I need a nap

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

GeneX posted:

but, like, that's not rolefishing

Kashuno was asking you to NOT give out role info, not fishing for info

I think I need a nap

I didn't give out role info. I didn't give any hint whatsoever as to whether I was a pawn, knight, bishop, or queen.

Coming out and saying, "Oh look Tobbs is basically claiming VT" is asking for that info, which I'm not sharing.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I didn't give out role info. I didn't give any hint whatsoever as to whether I was a pawn, knight, bishop, or queen.

Coming out and saying, "Oh look Tobbs is basically claiming VT" is asking for that info, which I'm not sharing.

Kid thinks ol' Tobbs got their wires crossed. Accusing Kash of trying to get information out of them Kash doesn't was disseminated through the camp in either case. Way Kid sees it, Tobbs claiming some form of bullet sponge is asking for coordinated sabotage - or, more likely, for everyone to ignore them.

Doesn't sit right with the Kid.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Tobbs this is a weird reach even for you. I’m saying the tank claim is similar to a BT claim because of the following:

“I can take a beating but not do much damage” is similar to a VT claim, in that you have given the opposing team a lot of information without helping Town much. It tells their team to either ignore you and spread their attacks elsewhere, OR to bang you down in a massive attack. It ALSO tells the scum team in our thread information about who not to target with their abilities because you outright stated you are low damage and therefore unlikely to assist much in terms of killing the other side. You gave both the other thread and the scum team far more information than you have given Town, and furthermore painted yourself in a way that the other team could ignore you in combat

Not good for Town, very good for not Town. You are therefore not town

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

Tobbs this is a weird reach even for you. I’m saying the tank claim is similar to a BT claim because of the following:

“I can take a beating but not do much damage” is similar to a VT claim, in that you have given the opposing team a lot of information without helping Town much. It tells their team to either ignore you and spread their attacks elsewhere, OR to bang you down in a massive attack. It ALSO tells the scum team in our thread information about who not to target with their abilities because you outright stated you are low damage and therefore unlikely to assist much in terms of killing the other side. You gave both the other thread and the scum team far more information than you have given Town, and furthermore painted yourself in a way that the other team could ignore you in combat

Not good for Town, very good for not Town. You are therefore not town

Basically all of this is wrong. I can't decide if you're being myopic on purpose, because you're scum, or if you just don't care enough to think about the words you're typing.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Basically all of this is wrong. I can't decide if you're being myopic on purpose, because you're scum, or if you just don't care enough to think about the words you're typing.

No dude, I'm pretty sure it's right, and also your flailing is not a good look

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Kid rethinks his suspicions a bit, given the conversation.

##vote Tobbs

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Even though he probably should have kept it to himself or maybe been a little more circumspect, I see nothing really wrong with Tobbs giving up some information.

And just saying that he can take a lot of damage but might not deal a lot out isn't exactly game breaking information.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Tobbs is town, friends. He admirably pressure cased me. He’s just loud.

Gene, I said that your writing style is consistent with the Christmas dealie. However, your actual substance is different than that game. Is this a conscious effort on your part?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Your Personal Muse posted:

This is my take on it as well. Well, except he hasn't cased me.

I'm having a little trouble with you right now YPM. I know we've only played a few games together, but I remember that we tended to butt heads often. However, I haven't really seen anything from you yet that has pinged me and I find myself thinking your posts have been pretty good. I just don't know if that's a good or a bad thing right now.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Gene, I said that your writing style is consistent with the Christmas dealie. However, your actual substance is different than that game. Is this a conscious effort on your part?

I think the benefits of not explaining all my thoughts crossed my mind once or twice (notably when deciding against writing out why I interpreted any given answer set in a specific way), but if my posts are very different, it's not intentional

if we're doing tobbs opinions I can't quite figure out whether his flinging poo at Kashuno and everything else is unbalanced scum or angry town

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I’d be willing to buy the Tobbs is Town with really dumb opinions, becaus ethat is his style

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
Tanking, in any game, only works if the opponent has a reason to focus you over other targets. By telling the other team this, Tobbs' removed that reason. Its possible he said that on purpose because of some ability he has, or maybe it was just a dumb mistake. The only alignment relevant thing I can see is that scum have a reason to want to go into battle but not get targeted, so maybe Tobbs' is purposefully trying to avoid damage in combat so he can dish out maximum hurt to the Glorious Mexican Army without getting killed himself. There's too many other possibilities though, so I'm just gonna keep an eye on him for now.

I'm more suspicious of people who have been actively buddying up this game, like MMT/TMM in the beginning, or Quid and Hal later on in the thread. As little content as you generally get D1, that kind of behavior stands out to me because it sets other players up to have a blind spot towards you later in the game.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

TMMadman posted:

This is my take on it as well. Well, except he hasn't cased me.

I'm having a little trouble with you right now YPM. I know we've only played a few games together, but I remember that we tended to butt heads often. However, I haven't really seen anything from you yet that has pinged me and I find myself thinking your posts have been pretty good. I just don't know if that's a good or a bad thing right now.

I’m sorry that I haven’t insulted you ten posts in or called you scum. I understand why you’d be troubled by that

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Tobbs is probably town. All I'm seeing is a ton of people meta-gaming based on previous games, even though Podima has explicitly said he has changed things up so meta-gaming the thread won't work. Meta-gamers are probably the scum, tbh. They get wrong information put into the thread, while seeming helpful but taking out guys that are actually trying to work out the rules of this thread

##vote Kashuno

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

Slaan posted:

Tobbs is probably town. All I'm seeing is a ton of people meta-gaming based on previous games, even though Podima has explicitly said he has changed things up so meta-gaming the thread won't work. Meta-gamers are probably the scum, tbh. They get wrong information put into the thread, while seeming helpful but taking out guys that are actually trying to work out the rules of this thread

##vote Kashuno

You... call out people for metagaming, then vote for the guy screaming at people to stop metagaming?

Thats uh, a bad vote.

Also I guess I'll ##unvote my joke vote now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

##vote Kashuno

W..wha

I’m not sure how you vote me after that statement.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Kid brings up somethin' to call attention to, assuming that's the case:

Gamerofthegame posted:

trap sprung!!

##vote slaan

for actual detective work tho

I feel like tobbs is doing this weird kind of disinformation thing, like

all feel like less then genuine observations to feel pro-town in the beginning

ps there's like a whole 24 hours or something usually to skim the thread for sick ability tells if need be there isn't much of a reason to read the hill billies now

Kid keeps looking back at this little exchange, realizing it was right before ol' Tobbs' attempt to case Muse. Kid's soft spoken, but he's trying to catch things others miss.

Especially since Gamer notably dropped the 'case' without pretense afterward. Way Kid figures, if we're rolling with the assumption that case proved Tobbs' innocence, Gamer comes out looking all the shadier for it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah, I forgot to ##unvote.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

and by that I mean ##unvote

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
Holy poo poo dude you really are all over the place.

Slaan posted:

I don't. Put me in coach, estoy listo para jugar

AAA

"I want to be in the front forever and always put into the fight!"

Slaan posted:

Well sure, but otoh kill all battle lovers. Something off about them imo. They LIKE killing!

Probably a joke vote but directly contradicts his earlier stance.

Slaan posted:

Healing, giving front row armor/shields, giving damage boosts, etc could all be useful back row roles

And scum with melee skills can almost certainly hit their own row and/or back row. Not being able to would be silly

Metagaming/setup spec. Also strikes me as oddly informed about scum abilities.

Slaan posted:

##vote Kashuno

Then this bad post. Calls out people for setup spec, which I agree is useless, then drops a vote on Kash, who has spent the game yelling at people to stop setup spec'ing/metagaming. Aside from the lovely vote, Slaan also participated in setup spec so why the sudden change of opinion?

##vote Slaan

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Now you’re just trolling me 😡

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

What I'm seeing is Tobbs trying to get basic information put out that that he thinks is useful for battlefield strategy.

Then Kashuno and others massively overthinking things and pointing to rules that may or may not actually work like they are claiming. I'll take more information, not making GBS threads on it, thanks.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Now you’re just trolling me 😡

My vote was never a real one.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Truth Quark posted:

Holy poo poo dude you really are all over the place.

"I want to be in the front forever and always put into the fight!"

Probably a joke vote but directly contradicts his earlier stance.

Metagaming/setup spec. Also strikes me as oddly informed about scum abilities.

Then this bad post. Calls out people for setup spec, which I agree is useless, then drops a vote on Kash, who has spent the game yelling at people to stop setup spec'ing/metagaming. Aside from the lovely vote, Slaan also participated in setup spec so why the sudden change of opinion?

##vote Slaan

Those were all clearly joke votes, except the "potential" abilities. That was telling people to chill about the front/back row stuff because we don't know if that is possible yet.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

Slaan posted:

What I'm seeing is Tobbs trying to get basic information put out that that he thinks is useful for battlefield strategy.

Then Kashuno and others massively overthinking things and pointing to rules that may or may not actually work like they are claiming. I'll take more information, not making GBS threads on it, thanks.

Well that explains the vote a bit more, and while it makes sense to me I still want to know: do you think Tobbs' revelation about his role helps town and why?

I'll leave the argument about whether the rest of the speculation is useful or not to town to other more knowledgeable players.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:cheers: Three reminders for people as they put in actions: :cheers:
:siren: 1. Please submit actions using the actual name of your ability! There are 50 of you (for now...) and if I have to do detective work to figure out which ability you might be talking about when you say "stab XYZ," that will be a problem.
2. Please submit your actions using Column E of your character sheet, rather than PMing me. (If this is a serious issue for you, let me know and we'll work through it.)
3. Day action/item usage submissions (or lack thereof) are locked in when the hammer falls for your thread. All Day actions/item effects resolve simultaneously at the end of the phase.

:cheers: Happy New Year to everyone! :cheers:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We put people that say they are tanks on the front row. If they are tanks, they take all the battlefield damage and survive proving themselves helpful there. And any scum would have a harder time knocking the front row out with direct damage abilities. This is particularly good in the first battle; we don't know how it'll shape up yet. If we have nothing but self-proclaimed tanks, then we lose fewer people than the Texans and have guys proven to be reliable for later use.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

And being a Tank is only useful on the battlefield. So if the scum/enemy soldiers go after them, then we lose little. The players with better abilities are safely anonymous

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
Sure, but how does revealing that information help town more than scum? Kashuno and I have both explained how it actively hurts town. None of us know how Tobbs' role works, whether it forces people to target him or if he just soaks up damage better. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume scum can pick their targets (crazy I know), so what happens if they just ignore Tobbs completely and go after other targets instead of targeting the self proclaimed tank?

Your answer is very wishy-washy and seems like you're avoiding really answering the question. I'm happy with my vote for now.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

It doesn't work, unless everyone indicates if they are tank or not. Having a wall of meat helps; having a single guy the other guys know to avoid actively hurts us.

I agree that only one or two people doing it just helps scum more.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

Slaan posted:

It doesn't work, unless everyone indicates if they are tank or not. Having a wall of meat helps; having a single guy the other guys know to avoid actively hurts us.

I agree that only one or two people doing it just helps scum more.

So... you're role fishing then? You want more people to reveal their combat roles? Scum have a traditional NK if I'm not mistaken, so outside of traditional BPs and stuff I assume they have ways of dealing with players who have claimed to be difficult to kill by reducing their hp to 0.

Like revealing our combat roles in more detail will eventually be useful I think, but not this early and definitely not just one or two guys. It just gives scum information on who to target at night to make the game easier for the filthy Texans.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Slaan posted:

We put people that say they are tanks on the front row. If they are tanks, they take all the battlefield damage and survive proving themselves helpful there. And any scum would have a harder time knocking the front row out with direct damage abilities. This is particularly good in the first battle; we don't know how it'll shape up yet. If we have nothing but self-proclaimed tanks, then we lose fewer people than the Texans and have guys proven to be reliable for later use.

Slaan posted:

And being a Tank is only useful on the battlefield. So if the scum/enemy soldiers go after them, then we lose little. The players with better abilities are safely anonymous

You seem pretty invested in calling the dogs off Tobbs. This doesn't really look good for either of you.

though "town tobbs trips over his own dick" is definitely plausible

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Not really. I'm just giving examples of how it could help because you asked and to help prove that Tobbs was probably acting town, not trying to call out targets for scum.

I think we need to wait and see myself. We don't know how the rules will end up working. Either we go all in on it (and only for relatively useless tanks. We don't want to call out healers, etc for scum to target) or nobody says anything. Using tanks strategically would require a critical mass to be effective, but that won't be reached voluntarily. People roles are only going to come out over time naturally.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

GeneX posted:

Easiest way to quickly collect and compare info, and once I did the texas thread I figured I should do it for us too since I thought it could be used as a scumhunting aid (+it’s probably helpful to have around for KB)

Why did you do Texas first? That's what's weird to me. Imo priority one is sussing out the scum in our thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god look people he other thread is people who can read(?) and make battle plans off of what we post they aren’t loving robots. REVEALING SPECIFICS ABOUT YOUR ABILTIIES AND ROLES FOR NO GAIN IS NON TOWN SO PLEASE SHUT THE gently caress UP

Don’t @ me

• Locked thread