Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Wifi is horrible and I always get terrible speeds with it. I have a Netgear WNDR4500 and a brand new Macbook Pro and I get speeds of like 1MB/s max and constant dropped packets and it is lovely. When I connect with ethernet everything is super fast though, 20MB/s easy. 2.4GHz, 5GHz, close, far, it is always bad. I also live in the jungle so I see zero other APs besides mine.

Why is wifi so horrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
becausefi

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm standing in your yard wiggling my big weiner to block ur signal

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
works fine for ,e OP

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
as an audiophile i prefer wired fidelity

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stereotype posted:

Wifi is horrible and I always get terrible speeds with it. I have a Netgear WNDR4500 and a brand new Macbook Pro and I get speeds of like 1MB/s max and constant dropped packets and it is lovely. When I connect with ethernet everything is super fast though, 20MB/s easy. 2.4GHz, 5GHz, close, far, it is always bad. I also live in the jungle so I see zero other APs besides mine.

Why is wifi so horrible?

the real reason is that you are using a macbook pro.

in order to economize on board space, apple is the only company fool enough to buy broadcom chips. and they're loving horrible. literally the worst in the industry.

there are no-name chinese clones that perform better

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
that said even with your broadcom chip you may have better luck with a nicer AP

i personally am very fond of ubnt, because they are significantly cheaper than "real" enterprise equipment but almost good.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
your router is broken get a new one

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are no-name chinese clones that perform better

I had a wifi dongle that would pick up wifi through multiple walls when I was doing poo poo in a detached garage it was great

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

indigi posted:

becausefi

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

but what about you're posting :thunk:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

*borat voice* my wifi

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

OldAlias posted:

*borat voice* my wifi

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I get over 20MB/s on my wifi, op

it's good enough

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i personally am very fond of ubnt, because they are significantly cheaper than "real" enterprise equipment but almost good.

thank you for the real help! I figured it was something stupid apple was doing.

to all you jokers joking around: good job very funny.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

thank you for the real help! I figured it was something stupid apple was doing. I’ll look into a new router. this one was like $30 on clearance at Office Depot before they moved to make way for a mega Whole Foods.

to all you jokers joking around: good job very funny.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
that was supposed to be an edit but I’m not going to fix it.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

indigi posted:

becausefi

rip harris :(

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

WiFi is extremely good and an engineering marvel

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Simply do not hold it in that way

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

AS AN OCCUPANT OF HIGH DENSITY HOUSING IN A HIP NEIGHBORHOOD I FIND THE WIFI BANDS INCREDIBLY CROWDED

whoops i had caps-lock on, not retyping that

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

HoboMan posted:

AS AN OCCUPANT OF HIGH DENSITY HOUSING IN A HIP NEIGHBORHOOD I FIND THE WIFI BANDS INCREDIBLY CROWDED

I keep forgetting to change my wifi name but I never bother because I can't think of any good and I'd just change it to "poopoo peepee butts lmao" or something

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Stymie posted:

rip harris :(

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

HoboMan posted:

imo caps lock should invert the capitalization if you press it with text highlighted.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I had this problem op and I rang my internet service provider vodafone and they put me into one of their vodafone tech ninjas who said the following (after I confirmed a normal speed from my wired connection):

wifi speeds lie. your connection and the wifi speed is fine and normal. however if you still think you are experiencing slow speeds I am willing to send a replacement modem for free, and apply a 12 month contract with us. no? ok. thanks for calling.

so in summary op, you’re wrong. ninjas say so.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I had this problem op and I rang my internet service provider vodafone and they put me into one of their vodafone tech ninjas who said the following (after I confirmed a normal speed from my wired connection):

wifi speeds lie. your connection and the wifi speed is fine and normal. however if you still think you are experiencing slow speeds I am willing to send a replacement modem for free, and apply a 12 month contract with us. no? ok. thanks for calling.

so in summary op, you’re wrong. ninjas say so.

shaw kept calling me asking me to upgrade, and I literally told them to gently caress off. they haven't called me since. hope this helps

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I wonder if I got straight up shunted to the do not call list

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the real shocker is that while wifi is a day-to-day headache i get low latency, stable, high bandwidth 4g both in town and in the middle of the woods

have to imagine it is an illustration of the merits of management vs. anarchy on a frequency spectrum

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

wifi is actually good OP. thanks to the Verizon quantum Router I get a stable, reliable wifi connection to watch my favorite movies, videos and sports with virtually no lag. From shopping to booking travel, faster speeds allows me to do so much more in less time.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
*yosposter thinking*: hmm my piece of poo poo router is slow MAYBE ALL WIFI loving SUCKS
me, the intellectual forums poastyer : QUALITY HOME NETWORK EQUIPMENT :chord:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stereotype posted:

I have a Netgear WNDR4500

found ur problem. get to best buy and buy an asus spider router.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

akadajet posted:

found ur problem. get to best buy and buy an asus spider router.

will this make my FPS better

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yo I bought two of these for my parents and they have literally never given them trouble ever. I showed up after a year and it just needed a firmware update

plus the installation process involved pulling cat5 through the attic which meant solid Dad bonding time.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
if you want working wifi you need to pay like a grand for the base stations and then hope to the heavens you have a slightly-less-than-garbage transceiver in your computer, because literally everything consumer grade I've ever had the misfortune of using is completely broken

I mean, this is not that weird, wifi is a godawful pile of hacks trying to solve the lack of bandwidth, horribly congested frequency spectrum and comically underpowered transmitters by throwing a ton of really complex digital signals processing (like software beam forming and poo poo) at the problem, so of course the underpaid Indian firmware developers never get it quite right. There are just so many weird rear end wifi problems you can and will get.

Really, wifi is a really good microcosmical example of everything that is wrong with the tech industry. We have a perfectly reliable, cheap and technically superior solution to the problem: wires. There are literally wires that are a hundred years old and still work perfectly fine. However, this solution is unacceptable because it requires the worst of all horrible and unsexy things you can spend money on, the dreaded infrastructure. That is simply not acceptable, so instead the tech industry throws billions of dollars at increasingly complex but obviously flawed wifi garbage gadgets and eventually comes up with something that almost works decently if you spend a few grand on decent base stations instead of just spending :10bux: on cat5. But living in the future is totally worth the cost, duuuude!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

will this make my FPS better

probably

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my wifi works great. latvia strong

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bought a switch and put everything in my a/v cabinet on ethernet, probably made no difference but feels good and I only have my laptop and phone on wifi

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 30, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TheFluff posted:

if you want working wifi you need to pay like a grand for the base stations and then hope to the heavens you have a slightly-less-than-garbage transceiver in your computer, because literally everything consumer grade I've ever had the misfortune of using is completely broken

I mean, this is not that weird, wifi is a godawful pile of hacks trying to solve the lack of bandwidth, horribly congested frequency spectrum and comically underpowered transmitters by throwing a ton of really complex digital signals processing (like software beam forming and poo poo) at the problem, so of course the underpaid Indian firmware developers never get it quite right. There are just so many weird rear end wifi problems you can and will get.

possibly the second weird thing about wifi is why it didn't end up going down the usb (or arm or whatever) route where one good manufacturer has it figured out and everyone else just copies that with potentially tiny tweaks. there seems to be a lot of duplicated effort for very little gain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought my internet connection was super horrible bc my wifi was so slow but then I finally bought a new router and was like oh, huh, how about that

Turns out that even if your old router was originally sold as being capable of 300Mbps or whatever, it might not actually be able to sustain that for any length of time when multiple devices are connected bc the chipset is from 2007 and the software stack is garbage and it overheats and throttles back

I got a tp-link Archer c8 for under a hundo I think and it sustains at least 150Mbps to any number of devices it's connected to

• Locked thread