Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Team Lil' Buddy: Jodariel, Ti'zo, and Mae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Rukey, Jodariel, Ti'zo for team not - boring - human

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
By my count, we have Ti'zo as our forward and Jodariel as our defense.

The vote is tied at 4 each for both Rukey and Mae! Whoever posts one of their names next will take it for them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mae

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

You got it!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

: Onward!

Gfy

: By the Scribes! The sea, I didn’t know it was so beautiful?

: Having escaped the waters of Wyrm Gulf, you now can see what must be the Hulk of Ores, far on the horizon.

: Not everyone has taken well to the sea-voyage, however.

: (Ti’zo is wondering if Hedwyn is feeling better.)

: He requires further rest, Ti’zo. All we can do is to wish him a swift recovery. Reader sir? From this point, our voyage must diverge from Bertrude’s instructions. Please, consult with your companions about which course to take.

: I wonder why. Couldn’t Bertrude just tell us to take the northern or southern pass? Wouldn’t she know if one was safer than the other?

: It basically comes down to if we want another temporary stat boost, or if we want vendor trash.

: Spoilers for whoever is reading this in the LP archive or wherever, but the vote for our next team was Ti’zo, Jodariel, and Mae. Now, what I would have liked to do was take the Fathomless Trench, despite the name, because you, the thread, voted for Ti’zo before they voted for Mae, which is what I meant when I said I would be biased for whoever the thread was leaning towards at the time that these options came up.

: However, I lacked that foresight at the time of this recording and accidentally played a bit ahead. The Rite will still be played with our chosen team, but I had recorded up a little bit past the vote. My bad.

Gfy

: You find Mae gazing down into the depths.

: The water is so very beautiful, and yet, it’s very dangerous? They always said it’s very dangerous, if you fall in, or drink enough of it?

: But, the Scribes, they have protected us, and they are watching, I just know!

: Even out here, in the waters of Underking Ores! They urge us on, I feel it, I just know!

: There is no denying that the north current sends you quickly on your way. Perhaps it is the thought of reaching land again, but you can sense a spring in everybody’s step.

Gfy

: At last you arrive at the Hulk of Ores, after journeying across the sea. It seems the next Rite is to commence here soon, though there is no sign of your next adversaries, yet.

: Lots to do here! As always, let’s start with the blackwagon. It would be rude to keep a companion waiting.

: Now that our blackwagon’s been upgraded and cleaned up, we’ll automatically start filling it with various knicks and knacks from the places we’ve visited as souvenirs. It includes the nautical bell next to the door, as a keepsake from Bertrude’s, and there’s a small fishbowl that’s currently obscured by Jodariel’s right horn that contains a Silver Cudgelhead, as a pet from the Wyrm Gulf.

: Yes, clicking on the bell makes it ding.

: Reader. A moment of your time.

: You ask what is on her mind.

: …I have known Hedwyn since he was a child. Even now, I hesitate to say that he is grown. Nevertheless, there are such things that even I would never say to him directly.

: For instance, I struggle with his confidence, at times. Whether he leads us to our freedom or our doom, I am ambivalent.

: So yeah, like I said a couple updates ago, Jodariel has a stern way with words.

: Speak not a word of this to him, of course, in case that is unclear. I shall tell him in my own way if and when the time requires.

: In any case, when times remind me of his mortal weaknesses, I end up having to consider what should happen should we become separated permanently.

: She trails off a while.

: You should know that I am fully pledged now to this quest of ours. Whether Hedwyn is the one to lead us to its end or not.

: I have my reasons. One of them is him. I expect the same holds true for you.

: That is all I wished to say. Take care, Reader.

: She nods, and brushes past you toward the door.

: Wow, that was a surprisingly tender side that Jodariel just exposed to us. She isn’t exactly a poet, but she’s got some pretty strong Mama Bear feelings for her crew, and particularly Hedwyn. I can’t imagine it was easy for her to word her thoughts to us.

: Now that Jodariel got that off her chest, let’s wash that down with some light reading.

Gfy

: We’ll catch up with Sandra in a bit. As long as we visit her before we leave the Sea of Solis, she’ll be fine. Until then, let’s hit up the Slugmarket.

: The new Talisman available is called a Thorned Knot. Whoever bears it gets an 8% increase to their Aura’s maximum range when it’s cast.

: While that sounds kind of nice, the thing is that 8% isn’t a whole lot. The price tag is only 15 coins, balancing out the very meh bonus with a low cost. Unfortunately, I’d still rather save my money for anything else that Ron may stock later.

: That said, that new Pinch of Stardust costs 5 coins. Gimme gimme.

: With everyone done and out of the way, the last thing left for us to do is to commence the Rite. It’s a pretty good bet that our opponents will be water-based, and we’ll be playing on their turf, so, fingers crossed!

: Having landed at the Hulk of Ores, you and your fellow exiles now participate the hour that the Rites are to commence again.

: (Ti’zo is worried that Hedwyn is still feeling unwell.)

: Wait, I think… what’s that?

: A serpentine creature emerges from the water, followed by several others of its kind. You recognize it as a wyrm of the Sea-Dominion. What they all are doing here, you see plain by their ritual raiments…. The nearest one somehow loosens its mask.

: Music: Quest For Honor

: So it is you that heed the summons to glorious competition against this knight and his brigade!!

: Well, then! Let us do battle now without delay!! More than our freedom is at stake here, but our very honor! And this knight fully intends to reclaim his!

: Oh, and lest this knight forget!!

: He is called Sir Gilman! He salutes you all on behalt of the Pyrehearts! Until the contest!!

: He splashes out of view, just as the stars above begin to shimmer with strange light.

Gfy

: This is a pretty unique layout. The stage is symmetrical, so both teams have to go through the same motions regardless, which is nice.

: Your fellow exiles are gathered on the rotting deck of the Hulk of Ores, as your adversaries clamber into view. Rukey paws up to them.

: Say, what are you wyrms even doing here? Can’t you just swim back to the Commonwealth, or the Sea-Dominion, or wherever it is you’re from?

: Hah, HAH!! An excellent point!! It seems that these adversaries in the Rites are clever, wouldn’t you say, Sire?!

: HARK! This knight wishes to introduce his noble commander!! No wyrm-knight in history has withstood as many front-line battles!

: Doff your helm, Sire, as is our custom! May our adversaries tremble at the sight of you!

: Sir Gilman attends to his commander’s mask, despite his protests.

: Music: Knights Of The Sea

: This knight hereby present to you the great Sir Deluge! A noble visage, is he not?!

: Sir Deluge trembles and squirms.

: Uh… so, yes, you can swim, or no?

: HAH! Of course we knights can swim! All knight of the Sea-Dominion can!!

: But, we are exiles in this land, the same as ye… we can swim, ‘tis true. But, ‘tis summarily impossible to swim back up the river down which we were flushed to end up here! Nay, there is but one way to return!!

: Sir Gilman hesitates, but does as he is told.

: Th-th-this knight knows who you are, Nightwings! And he is not afraid of you!!

: Are you sure?

: He somehow climbs back into his mask, and coils up to his full height.

: Our Very Honor! – Gameplay

: There is little discussion of the Pyrehearts, who seem to have already swam off toward wherever next the stars directed them. Instead, your fellow exiles’ attention turns toward your companion who was absent for the Rite.

: How is Hedwyn?

: The Lone Minstrel makes a sound, but no words form, as yet. Something is troubling him.

: He… I urged him to remain bed-ridden….

: And…?

: Look at that face. Choose your next words carefully, Tariq.

: Off to a bad start, Tariq.

: I am very sorry, but….

: Wait, what…?

: Everyone stares at The Lone Minstrel in stunned silence. The Lone Minstrel breathes a heavy sigh.

: But then…

: Minstrel! I should wring that neck of yours.

: As I was attempting to explain… Hedwyn is already up and about. Despite my having strongly recommended further rest. Those that are unaccustomed to sea voyage, and take ill… they are very likely to experience further symptoms, if they do not remain bed-ridden, or at least sedentary. Hedwyn is running a considerable risk of having to spend another night in great discomfort.

: What are you, a doctor?

: Nay… although, I traveled once with one, extensively.

: Look I appreciate your caution and concern, Tariq. But, I’m pretty well accustomed to discomfort here, and… I had to see how things turned out tonight.

: I haven’t had to stay out of a Rite like that before.

: So, you are back among the living, then, Hedwyn.

: Despite the story of Pyre not explicitly focusing on one character more than another, I think Hedwyn was meant to be the main focus, or the ‘star’ of the plot. He’s easily the most expressive character yet; this picture adds another facial expression to the long list. By my count, he’s had eight expressions so far, while the next most-expressive character, Jodariel, has five.

: Of course, I might also not be paying as close attention as I think.

: Nevertheless, your full recovery requires rest.

: I think we all could use some rest after tonight. Anyway… thank you, everyone, for your concern, and I’m sorry that I worried you, or caused you further burden.

: He turns to you.

: My friend, what do you say we figure out where to go next? I’m beginning to miss being on solid ground.

: You follow him outside where the night sky awaits.

: Anyway, I’ll leave you to your reading. Can’t begin to imagine where we’ll be off to next. We’re well past anywhere in the Downside I’ve ever been. Even Jodi hasn’t gone this far.

: He bids you a good evening, as you turn your attention back to the sky.

Gfy

: Still further north, then.

: Not simply north…. This shall prove difficult.

: What’s the problem?

: Our destination is beyond the Deathless Tempest. A vessel such as ours has little hope of traversing it intact.

: Can’t we go around it?

: Given our confrontation with the Pyrehearts, our chances back in wyrm-held waters would be even worse.

: Also, have you ever tried to sail around a hurricane?

: Your optimism is infectious.

: Isn’t it?

: That’s… her optimistic face, I guess.

: You all concur that rest is in order, for the sea-journey has been taxing to everyone. Come daybreak, you shall have to find a way to sail past the Deathless Tempest.

: Before we wrap it up, we have two special someones that want another word with us.

: Oh! Hi, Mister! I’m so happy right now! I’m happy because I was so worried about Mister Hedwyn for a while there, you know?

: He was so kind to me when we first met. Him, and Miss Jodariel, and Mister Greentail, and you, too!

: But, I just really like him!

: She sighs. She seems happy to be here.

: Say, do you… um…

: She trails off for a moment.

: Do you think he likes me, too?

: Hoo boy.

: My first instinct is to question whether I misread her earlier interaction with Almer, way back when, and that she was actually trying to get his attention for some other reason.

: On the other hand, Mae is the type of person that doesn’t really speak with undertones or filters, and she’s asking if Hedwyn literally likes her. ‘Like’ is a pretty weak word to describe romantic feelings, and she’s asking if Hedwyn appreciates her as a friend, nothing more.

: That said, the last time I tried to read a character and second-guess their reactions to my answer, it went pretty poorly. So… I might as well encourage her?

: She stares at you a moment. Then, she begins to laugh.

: Oh, you’re so silly, Mister! I didn’t mean like him like THAT, that’s so embarrassing!

: Besides I think that maybe he’s a little old, you know?

: I’m going to go cheer him up!! This is a funny story!

: She bounds off, leaving you to ponder what just happened, exactly.

: I’m not sure if this is because I got a good beat on Mae, or on myself. Good for her either way, at least.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 4, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The best character has officially arrived. You can't not love Sir Gilman.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
:same:

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Yeah, Sir Gilman is the greatest character in the game. There's no disputing that point.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I imagine after that excursion into the witch-fen this is a nice little breather of a match.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Glazius posted:

I imagine after that excursion into the witch-fen this is a nice little breather of a match.

In terms of actual gameplay, it's a bit of a switch-up. Wyrms play differently to the other classes we've seen so far and you don't know what they're capable of at this point, but from the outset you can see they don't have much of an aura to speak of and they're very fast. As you saw, Jodi wasn't much help on defence here - she could barely move to intercept them and they could jump into the pyre right across her aura. On the other hand, having the similarly large-aura'd Tizo on attack was a great boon as they couldn't get close.
We'll see more of them in detail once we have one in our party, naturally.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sir Gilman is HIGHLY IRRITATING. However, he is also somehow HIGHLY ENDEARING.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

An honorable wyrm-knight must always strive to be ENGRAGING and ENDEARRITATING to all he meets.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fedule posted:

Sir Gilman is HIGHLY IRRITATING. However, he is also somehow HIGHLY ENDEARING.

I call it the Papyrus Principle.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I just caught up with the thread. Loved this game from start to finish myself.

One thing I learned by accident is that Rukey REALLY doesn't like it if you play that bell like a drum...

Since the thing above is an easter egg, not a spoiler for the plot, I figure it's alright if it's in spoiler tags. If not, let me know. I'll take it down.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Tenebrais posted:

The best character has officially arrived. You can't not love Sir Gilman.

Tall words for a game with Rukey and *ae in it, Reader. We shall see if he proves worthy of such praise.

:allears: I am totally blind to Pyre but I'm enjoying it so far.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I have been enjoying this LP so much that my craving for additional content made me just go ahead and buy the game, which was worth doing, so thank you, Maple Leaf

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

: Before we head out, I promised that we’d give Sandra a quick visit.

: How’s it going?

: There is an undulation I have sensed, Reader, which means, I think, that your blackwagon sails the seas, am I not right?

: Of course I am.

: I scarce remember the sea. It has been a little while since I bathed in it, you understand. My memories of it are wistful, nonetheless. Although, if I remember correctly, the Sea of Solis is a disgusting mockery of the emerald seas near to the Empire.

: Do be careful out there, will you? Now, let me cease my prattling, lest I extend my sentence by another such eternity or two. We had best stick to business.

: Okay, talk to you later, Sandra.

: We’re in the middle of the ocean, and the stars have told us to cross the entire goddamn thing. We’re coming from a fresh win against the Pyrehearts and it’s a brand new day, so morale and energy are both high.

: We’ve got two options here, and like literally every other option in the Downside so far, neither option looks particularly friendly.

: We’ve been using Ti’zo a little more often than Rukey lately, so I’ll show bias towards him and head towards the Frothsea.

Gfy

: The imp Ti’zo has been much more animated even than usual.

: What is it, little one?

: (Ti’zo seems to think something very delicious is in these waters.)

: He keeps on screeching? I don’t think I have ever seen him like this! Wait, what is he—

: Just then, Ti’zo dives into the waters, and vanishes into the depths.

: Oh, I hope he can swim.

: (Ti’zo is very disappointed that whatever he attempted to catch eluded him.)

: Mae begins to sob uncontrollably. The two revel is each other’s misery for a time.

: I wonder if Rukey would have lost anything if we went with him instead. These two are acting like they’ll never eat again.

Gfy

: You and your companions look upon the Deathless Tempest. The stars demand you sail beyond it, yet the very thought is beyond reason.

: Then, something in the nearby water stirs, and from it springs something familiar.

: Gilman’s portraits have been reversed; now he’s looking to the right rather than the left. I wonder what the significance of the direction their bodies are facing has, if any.

: What is it now, wyrm. The Rites are ended. We have no further need of you.

: O, but you do!! And in turn, this knight has further need of you, good lady!

: Out with it, then.

: …Can you believe this, Hedwyn?

: Not really, no.

: Nay, look ye not so surprised!! Your valor in the Rites did stir this poor knight’s soul! He swears to you, upon his long-lost honor as a would-be knight-errant of the Sea-Dominion, that he shall serve you to the end!

: What about your wyrm friends back there? The Pyrehearts?

: This knight can no longer abide such spineless characters, having witnessed true glory in our clash upon the Hulk of Ores! Never before have we been trounced so thoroughly!

: And furthermore!! This knight shall aid your passage through the Deathless Tempest! Is it not so that you seek passage to the north? With this knight’s aid, you shall achieve your wish!

: Sir Gilman continues to persuade you for quite some time. He seems to know a way to cross the storm… some sort of long-held secret among wyrms exiled to these waters.

: Jodariel pulls the rest of you aside, after Hedwyn gives her a look.

: ‘Thing’ is kind of a strong word, considering we already have an imp and a talking dog. What’s a talking, very small sea dragon to our ever-expanding zoo?

: Mostly sure. Sandalwood wants someone for each mask. And this one seems about as good as we’re going to get.

: Better Gilman than Deluge, for sure.

: Jodariel glowers back at the wyrm, who tries his best to look presentable. Hedwyn is more gracious. He tells Sir Gilman that if he promises to help you cross the Deathless Tempest, then he can come along, for now.

: Though, first!! This knight requires your consent! Give unto this knight your blessings, in the name of the Nightwings, and thus shall he go forth!

: Uh… knock ‘em dead?

: As you begin to say something in response, Sir Gilman cries out in triumph. He vanishes into the depths. Yet, through this close encounter with him, you cling to some sense of where he is going, and what he intends to do.

: A Bald-Faced Lie – Gameplay

: As the day wears on, there is still no sign of the wyrm-knight. Your companions grow restless. But then…

: Sir Gilman is sopping wet and visibly shaken. He struggles to maintain decorum.

: … so, no change?

: He is, in short, the very image of a wyrm-knight.

: No change.

: And, more importantly!! That little tempest ought no longer pose a threat for now! Behold!!

: As if on cue, the Deathless Tempest begins to simmer and subside.

Gfy

: Would you look at that… he really did it.

: Of course this knight did it!!

: Now… if it would be all right with you, this knight could really use some shut-eye.

: The wyrm-knight then collapses in exhaustion. You and Hedwyn help him up.

: A deal’s a deal, Sir Gilman. Welcome to the Nightwings.

: It’s not going to get any friendlier in there. Let’s not waste Gilman’s efforts – he did kill the children of the Wyrmdevil, basically.

Gfy

: With Sir Gilman’s aid, you managed to breach the tempest.

: You were true to your word, wyrm, I shall give you that…. But, now what?! We are stranded in this cursed storm.

: A most-excellent question! And from one most-fair!

: Call me that once more and I shall tie you in a knot.

: Aahh! And from one most-spirited, as well! This knight was wise to side with ye!

: Just… where do we turn from here? Answer the question, now.

: Bold move, to ignore a direct order from Jodariel.

: If I may… I can corroborate Sir Gilman’s account. We are close to making landfall.

: Then, let me be the first to say… let’s go.

: Say, uh, Tariq…?

: Aye, Rukey, what is it?

: That lute you’re always carrying around… you know how to play that thing, don’t you?

: Why… I suppose I do.

: Good, ‘cause I was thinking it’s a little gloomy here and we could use a little tune to lighten up the mood, know what I mean?

: Aye… then, let me see what I can do.

: Music: Vagrant Song

: Supergiant Games has a habit of either incorporating music directly into its gameplay (such as here, or in Transistor during some of its boss fights), and/or writing songs with lyrics that directly go with what’s currently happening or is otherwise related to the plot somehow. Darren Korb just really likes making music, I guess.

: Also, if you listen to the song, it tells the story of Unfathomable Plurnes and how she was killed. It’s supplemental and unnecessary to the plot of the game, but, like all the lore in this game so far, it’s pretty badass.

Gfy

: At last your wagon rumbles onto solid, jagged ground: the land called Black Basin. Your fellow exiles unpack the wagon so you can take stock of how best to reach your destination.

: We have two discussions awaiting for us in our blackwagon, so let’s not make them wait any longer.

: Also, while we’re here and now that Sir Gilman is a part of our crew, we’ve unlocked his bio page:

: You approach Sir Gilman, who must have just finished practicing his fencing maneuvers. He regards you with his single eye.

: Hail, Master-Reader!! This knight is determined to train harder, having joined the famous Nightwings!

: He shall ensure that this triumvirate continues to live up to its most-feared reputation.

: THIS IS SUCH AN HONOR! And, this knight has a great deal of honor to regain!

: Having fled the Pyrehearts, this knight fully expects now to conduct the Rites in a most-honorable fashion. To the fullest letter of the law, described within the Books!

: But, this is WRONG!! The exile who refuses to obey the rules, as they were written by the Underking Ores and his seven friends, deserves neither his honor, nor his freedom!

: Thusly does this knight have confidence the Master-Reader shall resist any temptations to conduct the Rites in any underhanded fashion.

: Now, then, this knight must undergo a thorough cleansing, having trained until the point of foulness! So, please excuse him, Master-Reader!

: He slithers off, humming some sort of chivalrous tune.

: Gilman’s heart can’t be all that big; he’s got an itty-bitty body. He should probably calm down, all that ‘chivalry’ is going to cost him years.

: Then again, he might also have five of them.

: Even still, you can’t fault him for his enthusiasm. He may be loud and intense, but at least he’s eager to do the right thing.

: Before we head back out and consider our surroundings and our way forward, we should pay Sandra a visit. We’re in a new biome, after all, and she probably has something snarky to say about it.

: What’s shakin’?

: So, then, we are back on solid land, or something like it, hmm?

: Then, this must be Black Basin… flames and noxious fumes on one side, suffocating forest on the other. Lovely, lovely place. So good of you to take me here. You truly would pursue those blasted stars until the farthest corners of this land, it seems.

: Though, I had better cease my blasphemy, or else the Scrubes themselves just might descend from up on high, and strike me with another much-deserved penalty.

: The thrill of such transgressions, Reader! Sometimes it keeps me going, not that I have any real choice. Now, we had best get back to our normal business, as it were.

: She’s a peach.

: You find that Hedwyn has asked for several volunteers to scout the area, and report back.

: All right, everyone. Don’t go too far, and let’s meet back by dusk.

: Please, use caution. The exiles dwelling in these lands are, well… rather territorial.

: Uh, we’re in a volcano. They can keep it.

: For your part, you remain with the blackwagon to keep watch. You see occasional dark shapes soaring across the sky, but none of them draw near enough for you to see in any detail. Eventually, your companions make their way back, and everyone arrives as planned, or earlier.

: Hi, everyone, I’m back, I have come back!

: Mae returns from the east with little to report, save for word that the glowing molten rock there is very, very hot.

: THIS KNIGHT YET LIVES. Although… he has little else to report.

: Hey, in this climate, don’t sell your accomplishments short.

: The newest member of the group, Sir Gilman, returns from a northern pass, visibly shaken. He appears to have discovered an intense fear of heights.

: (Ti’zo wonders whether any species of fish lives in the pools or rock nearby.)

: The little imp Ti’zo seems disappointed to have left the water behind. He remains with you, near to the wagon.

: Begging your pardon… I do not wish to contradict your strategy, madam, though, in my experience, we shall not remain hidden for long during the climb toward the Nest of Triesta.

: The exiles of the Highwing Remnants… you may have no love for them, inherently, but they have no such qualms with me, for now. I may be able to negotiate safe passage.

: Negotiate? With them?

: Then Hedwyn steps in as The Lone Minstrel bows and backs away.

: Hey… let’s not decide on this just yet

: Music: Shattered Lands

: We’re not going anywhere right now, that much we can agree on. We’ll decide on how best to go ahead come morning. For now, let’s take the rest of the afternoon and get our bearings.

: Jodariel glares at the sky as everyone else disperses.

: I don’t think about this one too hard. The stat buffs and the tutoring are both solid options, but I’m getting a little frustrated at my missteps when it comes to getting some spending money, so I make a beeline for the foraging.

: Whenever you forage for supplies, you’re given two unique options. Like some of our route choices, they come down to ‘do you want X’ or ‘do you want Y.’ Namely, in this case, do we want Stardust, or do we want vendor trash?

: I came here for some spending money, so gimme that vendor trash.

: Well chum, had enough scrounging for one day? Usually there isn’t much, but if you never look you never get! And believe you me it adds up!

: Yes. Yes, this will do nicely.

: Once we’re finished dumpster-diving, there’s nothing left for us in this pit stop, so let’s just mosey on along. I’d rather get to the ‘suffocating forest’ than stay too long in an active hot spot.

: The discussion our party had last night came down to heading west and trying to cut through the desert sands without garnering the attention of the Highwings, or heading south and trying to negotiate with them.

: When it comes to routes suggested by Tariq, it gets a little cloudier as to which I should choose, so I guess I’ll leave that up to myself. And, I’m going to go with Jodariel this time – she’d probably not appreciate it if we had to barter with her sworn enemies, and I feel like I’ve been stiffing her and her suggestions this whole time, so maybe she’ll pull through for us this time.

Gfy

: The shattered lands of Black Shore prove difficult to traverse for the blackwagon. Jodariel searches for a solid path forward, to little avail.

: Fie on these blasted lands. How are we to proceed through this?

: Perhaps I may be of some assistance…. This place is not so unfamiliar to me, nor are its hidden denizens. Please remain with the others until I return, madam. I shall not be long.

: The minstrel disappears into the cliffs before Jodariel can protest. In the meantime, you and she continue to keep watch, sensing unseen eyes.

: The last time that one disappeared on us, we searched for him for days.

: ….But this time, he soon returns.

: I have secured safe passage through the Nest of Triesta. We may proceed.

: Secured safe passage with whom, exactly?

: …She soars away, without a word…. The Lone Minstrel says nothing more, either.

: Jodariel’s scowl deepens. For centuries, the Commonwealth withstood the Highwing Remnants’ treacherous assaults, thanks to soldiers such as she.

: I can never leave Flagging Hands.

: I’m pretty sure this was a ‘heads-I-win-tails-you-lose’ scenario that Pyre threw at me. Either we get caught in the sand and ask the birds to help us out, or we skip the sands and go straight to the birds. Jodariel is going to lose Hope either way, but the choice impacts how much she loses, since following her suggestion led directly to us getting stuck.

: Or, at least, I think. I didn’t pick the other route, after all. Maybe I would have got another 50 Sol for picking the other route, idk

Gfy

: At last you arrive at the Nest of Triesta, where the next Rite is soon to commence. You cannot shake the feeling that unseen eyes watched your wagon’s ascent, and remain watching now.

: Interestingly, nobody’s in a particularly chatty mood right now. That’s cool; less work for me. Before we pop on over to the Slugmarket, let’s check out that book.

Gfy

: This update has been going for a little while, but all that’s left is to visit Ron and get the Rite started. Keep tight!

: First thing’s first, of course.

: The new wares that Ron’s got in stock are the Righteous Flame and the Sunken Shadow Talismans. Sunken Shadow forces any adversary banished by anyone wielding it to remain banished for one second longer, while the Righteous Flame restores the bearer’s Pyre by 5 Pyrepoints whenever the bearer gets a dunk. Also, one of his newer Pinches of Stardust is going for a paltry three coins, so I’m taking that, no contest.

: Sunken Shadow sounds kind of weak, all told; it only comes into effect when the bearer gets the banishment; it’s only for one second; and it costs a whopping 180 Sol. So we couldn’t afford it even if we wanted to.

: Righteous Flame, however, is only going for 65 Sol, and it would work wonders if my opponents get in a few hits themselves when it’s put on one of our speedsters. I’ll go ahead and take that, and end my business with Ron for this visit.

: …They’re leaving, Dad…! Just lookit how much we got this time!

: Well, after the Faerie Mites, you’re actually at a deficit of six coins. But hell, I don’t know what you’re going to do with it. Maybe it’s worth more than that somewhere else.

: You and your fellow exiles gather on the blasted lands called the Nest of Triesta, expecting the imminent commencement of the Rites.

: You see no sign of any adversaries. But then, you hear a whooshing sound above.

: Music: Talon Sheath

: Hold your tongue, little bird. We have not come for talk.

: No. You have come on behalf of your Commonwealth.

: You mean the Commonwealth that cast us down here for crimes as despicable as literacy and dissention? The Commonwealth that throws anyone into some kind of unending hellscape and forces them to play petty games to earn their freedom? We’re representing that Commonwealth?

: Mark well my words, you horned filth: When at last we free ourselves… your home shall burn.

: With that, the Harp swoops off as Jodariel glowers at her.

: It is only then that you realize another Harp has come.

: You have got to be the worst double-agent I have ever seen.

: You know naught of my interest.

: Mm, let’s give this another shot. Hi, my name’s Pamitha Theyn!

: The surly one back there, that was my blood-sister. No need to judge her harshly, though. We’ve only met just now, though I must say, something about you reminds me of her.

: How dare you implicate that I have anything in common with your ilk.

: No, Hedwyn. You cannot be serious.

: Jodi, I’m asking you to trust me on this one.

: Am I perhaps interrupting something? Say, by the by, however did you make it all this way across the sea? Didn’t see you fly in.

: Trust is something I am loath to give away, Hedwyn. But you have set our course thus far, and I have followed. So… do as you must.

: That Sandalwood had better have an explanation for all this.

: Jodariel storms off as Hedwyn turns to you.

: What’s your take on this one, my friend? Our informant wants someone for each mask. I hadn’t expected we’d run into a Harp, yet here she is. What are you getting from her?

: You turn your attention to Pamitha, who has been watching with bemused interest.

: You sense that she is conflicted about something, though you do not know what. You also sense, however, that her motives, here and now, are earnest.

: The game is straight-up telling me that Pamitha is telling the truth and she deserves our trust and to be given a chance. But, on the other hand, it doesn’t look good that a the first Harp we met tells us that she’s gonna burn our home to the ground, and then another Harp, claiming to be the first one’s sister-by-blood, immediately comes along and says ‘yeah, she’s a bit rough, but I’m cool and legit, cross my heart. Let’s team up.’

: This is not only our freedom we’re playing with (which is incentive enough), but apparently the homes of our loved ones, given the other Harp’s threat. Any sensible person would tell Pamitha to piss off, and yet, like I said before, the game said to me, straight-faced, that she can be trusted, ‘here and now.’

: Given the heads-or-tails scenario before, I’m not so sure Pyre can be trusted to tell me what’s best for me and my crew.

: You tell Hedwyn that you have several misgivings about Pamitha, and suggest caution before accepting her into your ranks.

: I share much of your concern about her, my friend. It’s just, I have to give Sandalwood the benefit of the doubt, as well as Pamitha.

: No you don’t. Tell him that we didn’t find a Harp.

: We’ve come this far thanks to a certain faith, and right now it’s telling me to take her with us. I hope you’ll back me up on this, as I’m sure Jodariel won’t like it.

: He then turns to Pamitha.

: Conditions! Why, sure, I love a good condition or two.

: First, after we’re finished here tonight, you come along and make sure that your blood-sister and her friends don’t give us any trouble when we’re headed out.

: Second… you’ll have to find a way to get along with Jodariel, whom you met earlier.

: Brilliant! I had no plans to stick around here anyway. As for your demon friend, no doubt we’ll get on famously.

: Interesting choice of word.

Gfy

: You. What sort of heathen Harp would dare take wing against us?

: Your new companion then loosens the binding of her mask.

: Hello there, Tamitha.

: Pamitha’s blood-sister stares back at her a while before responding.

: What in the Saint’s name are you doing here, with them? Doubtless come to dig your talons in my back again.

: No, Sister. I’ve come to have a word with you.

: What’s life if not a waste of time, dear Sister? Give me a chance, why don’t you. What do you even have to lose, anymore? Besides, I’ve come a long way.

: Silence. You shan’t have come here, and the time for talk is long since past. If only you could see yourself. Again, consorting with my enemies.

: Fine, then, savor their defeat. But, I warn you, stay away from me.

: Pamitha says nothing more as her blood-sister turns away again.

: Pamitha gets your attention.

: Listen to me, Reader darling. The rest of you are ill-equipped to navigate this place. Let me conduct this Rite on your behalf, and my wings will bring you victory.

: Dear Lady! Your words ring true. This knight is flattered that you have not eaten him as is the tendency of your kind.

: This knight hereby volunteers his post in the triumvirate for thee!

: You observe the treacherous terrain. Pamitha should be better suited to the Rites here than the rest of you.

: So, here’s the thing with this Rite in particular.

: The game forces you to choose Pamitha as your offensive lineman. All other characters are too ‘reluctant’ to join the Rites until you select her…

: … with the exception of Gilman, who refuses to join this Rite at all.

: If that’s the case, he doesn’t need that Talisman that grants him Quickness +2, so we may as well give that to Pamitha.

: Why, I thought you’d never ask, there, darling. I accept!

: If the little bird is going to conduct the Rites for us, then I shall not.

: Narrowing our selection down even further, Jodariel refuses to participate in this Rite, or indeed any Rite, where you select Pamitha before her. Likewise, you will not be able to select Pamitha if you choose Jodariel first.

: So, we’re finally at the vote for our next Rite against the Highwing Remnants. Pamitha is forced to be our forward, and Jodariel refuses to have anything to do with Pamitha.

: Who will be our defenseman, and who will be our support? Our options are Hedwyn, Rukey, Mae, and Ti’zo. Five votes will guarantee their spot, and remember, the order you vote for them matters, and you’re only choosing two this time!

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 10, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Drama
:geno: yay :geno:

Priority number one after the rite, somehow getting those two to not murder each other while we're sleeping; by the way Hedwyn, "getting along famously" is not in any way what you asked of her.
Although this is probably the only chance to get an Harp in the group and apparently we need at least one of each (or at least so claims Sandalwood), so he kinda is between a rock and an hard place.

Ugh, why do I feel the group will shortly go along like a wagon on fire?

Hedwyn and Rukey.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Ti'Zo and Hedwyn

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gilman crushing on Jodi is kind of cute, even with Jodi threatening to crush him back.

Anyway, I would vote for Ti'Zo as our guard and Rukey as our center.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Pamitha and Jodariel will get along just fine, guys, like a house on fire! Just let them smolder and burn a while, and then both die out and become ashes. Easy!

We need Hedwyn to play support with Ti'zo on defense. Pamitha is going to need all the help she can get if she's going against her own blood-sister, and Ti'zo's wings and Hedwyn's tactical skills will see us through.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I vote for Hedwyn and Rukey for this Rite: the former because we haven't used him in a while and would make narrative sense that he'd participate along Pamitha; as for Rukey, I believe he's the only one left avaiable that doesn't have a penalty of sorts.

Sparda219
Nov 21, 2007

Just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong and priceless?
I imagine the terrain is going to be a weird and difficult thing to manage, so I say Ti'Zo for defense and Hedwyn for support. Tizo can fly too so he can circumnavigate some of the lava spots and Hedwyn's buffs should be useful! Also he has a lot of inspiration banked, might as well cash in.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So after all that hope loss for Jodariel she can't participate in the rite anyway. Heh.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

HUZZAH :krakken:

Hedwyn, Rukey

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Pamitha is ridiculously OP. One of her skill trees gives her the ability to fly faster, and one of her tier 3 skills (I think the same tree, but I am not sure) makes it so that if she is flying when she scores a goal, she isn't banished. To be blunt, she's the perfect offensive character.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Let's do this one with Hedwyn and Rukey. Also you touched on it in the update but my favourite part of SuperGiant soundtracks is that the vocal songs are always an in-universe performance. Like, if a song has lyrics it's because you found a music dude to open their yap and sing it at you. And I'm not necessarily saying that all games should do it that way but it's something I appreciate.

Are we allowed to talk about 'conversations you didn't get' or is that something to save for later in the LP? I remember some Ti'Zo stuff from the sea that you apparently didn't run into.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Gilman being not only immune but completely oblivious to Jodariel's angry glaring is a wonderful thing.

...although we are going to have to have Words with Jodariel or our new friend about playing nice if they're going to be part of this little field trip to freedom. 'Getting along like a house on fire' is a much easier thing to approve of when you're not the one living in it.

Hedwyn and Rukey seem like the way to go here; neither one got to participate in our last Rite, iirc, so let's see what they can do here! Without Jodariel as our brick wall our defensive line seems a little lackluster, so, uh, full offense mode go?

vdate fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 10, 2018

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Hedwyn and Rukey since they're not running on Hope penalties.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

Let's do this one with Hedwyn and Rukey. Also you touched on it in the update but my favourite part of SuperGiant soundtracks is that the vocal songs are always an in-universe performance. Like, if a song has lyrics it's because you found a music dude to open their yap and sing it at you. And I'm not necessarily saying that all games should do it that way but it's something I appreciate.

Same here, it's those small touches that make the worlds they build feel like something grand and wonderful!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hedwyn and Mae.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Hedwyn got the slot in a landslide victory; it was a little closer between Rukey and Ti'zo, but Rukey is going to be our support. Not the strongest defensive team, but plenty of rushdown offensive opportunities!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

RedMagus posted:

Same here, it's those small touches that make the worlds they build feel like something grand and wonderful!

Agreed. The little metatext explanations of proper noun terms are a neat way to make it feel less like gibberish for folks that don't constantly want to infer things from context (or for things that would be difficult or impossible to imply from context). Plus, there's something about the visuals of the Downside that really catches me. The place is beautiful, even when it's dismal (though Supergiant's distinctive hand-drawn visual style is probably helping it out), and the corpses and aftereffects of the fallen titans we've seen along the way make me endlessly curious about Soliam Murr's Excellent Adventure or whatever the hell it was he did to gather the other seven Scribes along the way.

Do we know if the Scribes ever made it back up to the Empire/Commonwealth? Word of them certainly seems to have done so - Mae doesn't seem like she's been down here long enough to pick it up if it were Downside-exclusive, but something about the passages we get from the book of Rites suggests otherwise.

vdate fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 11, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

vdate posted:

Do we know if the Scribes ever made it back up to the Empire/Commonwealth? Word of them certainly seems to have done so - Mae doesn't seem like she's been down here long enough to pick it up if it were Downside-exclusive, but something about the passages we get from the book of Rites suggests otherwise.

I don't think it's come up yet. One of the later chapters in the Book of Exiles will explain what happens in that regard.

While the Scribes do seem to have had some influence on the Commonwealth, their influence flows through everything in the Downside. Maple Leaf hasn't pointed it out, but if you've been clicking on the names of the saints and seen their portraits you'll notice they're the same as the images on the Mastery screens - each class is associated with one of the scribes:

The Nomads follow Gol Gothian,
The Demons have Soliam Murr,
The Curs have Jomuer Many-Mane,
The Savages have Kaimler Rope-Caller,
The Imps (well, the one imp) have Ha'ub the Swallow

Neither of our newbies have had the chance to level up yet, but Sir Gilman has mentioned the Wyrm scribe Underking Ores, and Tamitha mentioned the Harp scribe Saint Triesta Tithis, so you can draw some connections there.

Not only that, but each of the locations we played a game at is named for a Scribe. The Ridge of Gol, the Spring of Jomuer, the Carin of Ha'ub, the Hulk of Ores, the Nest of Triesta. We also played at the Pit of Milithe, but I don't remember if that scribe has come up yet otherwise.
Each Triumvirate is also associated with one of the scribes, but that won't really be explained until the relevant chapter in the book is unlocked. I did notice, though, that each Triumvirate is first encountered at the location named for its associated scribe.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Does Jodariel's recent hope penalty carry forward to the next rite, or does it never have any effect because she cannot participate in this rite anyway?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Jodariel can't stop getting dunked on: the game.

Btw, are Demons an actual race in this game, or what Jodariel saying about horns growing in if we stay too long in the Downside something not merely a pithy comeback after we lowered her hope that one time.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

EagerSleeper posted:

Jodariel can't stop getting dunked on: the game.

Btw, are Demons an actual race in this game, or what Jodariel saying about horns growing in if we stay too long in the Downside something not merely a pithy comeback after we lowered her hope that one time.

I guess it's not too much of a spoiler to say:

Demons are humans that have been in the Downside for an extended period of time. The longer their horns, the longer they've been down there.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jodariel says she's known Hedwyn since he was young, but she's been down here an awful lot longer than he has. It'll be interesting to hear more about their history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I'm more wondering if the absurd size is also a function of the Downside, or if Jodariel was always 10+ feet tall (judging by her in-Rite sprite compared to Hedwyn's or Mae's) and nearly half that across the shoulders.

• Locked thread