Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
That is the proper way to format a date. EVERYBODY can clearly see that this is the most logical way to organize dates, especially if we're filing them or sorting them on computers.

However, there is still great contention between Europeans and Americans as to how to label dates if you're simply doing months and days.

The most obvious and logical conclusion (and the one that follows the year/month/day) format is to label things month/day, ie December 31st (or 31 December for you Europeans) = 12/31 (month/day).

Why this is a more superior system is two-fold:

When you are dealing with large amounts of files that are simply labeled by the dates they were created, it is much easier to organize everything from largest blocks to smallest blocks (again, year/month/day).

To use December again as an example, if I have a bunch of files from December 1st to December 31st (or 1 December to 31 December for you Europeans), it makes sense to label them 12/(1-31), instead of (1-31)/12. In the former case, everything is nicely organized under the month of December (12), rather than a gigantic mish-mash of poo poo if you were to label files 1/12, 2/12, 3/12, 4/12, etc.

The second point of argument is that heavier weighted things always go first. If something weighs 2.5 kilograms, you say "two and a half kilograms," or "two point five kilograms," or "five and a half pounds" if you're American. You'd never say "half a kilogram and then two more" unless you were being deliberately obtuse.

So the next time a European gets snippy with me about the metric system (which, by the way, most Americans do know and use quite interchangeably), I'll get on them about their inferior dating system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
:yikes:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
MMXVII

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Month day year

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's a lot of words just to admit you're a failure of a human being.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Logic is irrelevant. Just acknowledge and accept that the american way is the best way.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Logic is irrelevant. Just acknowledge and accept that the american way is the best way.

...but I did?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jesus Christ posted:

...but I did?

it's month/day/year

cameoflage
Dec 29, 2017

The month is like by far the most descriptive term for work except like for historians

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

yeah I eat rear end posted:

it's month/day/year

Don't get me wrong, I use month/day/year for pretty much everything, but if we're going to try to settle with the Europeans we're going to have to agree on a standard and it should be year/month/day. I feel that's a good compromise.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I structure my life and days around metric time.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

yeah when I organize stuff for myself I always do year/month/day because it works out better in computer folders and stuff like that

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
You're saying "Europeans" when I think you actually mean "the rest of the world".

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It is a good thing tomorrow is a vacation day, I tell you whut.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

a hole-y ghost posted:

yeah when I organize stuff for myself I always do year/month/day because it works out better in computer folders and stuff like that

This is the correct answer. Case closed!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Sorry but the best format is Unix time. 1514722546

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
It should be day-month-year. If I ask someone the date it's not because I don't know the month, let alone year. Give me the most relevant info first, don't waste my valuable time.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I'm fine with year/month/day. But I'm a computer nerd who cares about nerdy stuff like dates being string-sortable, so who cares about that. Happy new year!

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 1, 2018

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Month day year for sure

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

ubachung posted:

It should be day-month-year. If I ask someone the date it's not because I don't know the month, let alone year. Give me the most relevant info first, don't waste my valuable time.

If you ask someone for the date and they don't just say like the seventh or whatever they probably have autism

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean you can go on about big endian or little endian but really risc processing and floating point processors made that argument irrelevant in the 90s and 2000s so the best way to encode a date is really however you want because you don’t need to worry about bitwise gold process memory that uses a general address range of the size of the least significant bit op I mean jeez. :shrug:

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

ubachung posted:

Close thread.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

just use a full DTG for everything

312047RDEC17

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Regardless of format, it should be easy enough to figure out unless you're a moron.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

actually nevermind, use the Julian date

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ubachung posted:

31 folders. each has all 12 months in it.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

31 folders. each has all 12 months in it.

You can store data however you want, this is about the formatting of dates.

ubachung posted:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
MARS TIME

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Bullshit.

Month should always be abbreviated to avoid consternation and confusion.

Example:
12-APR-17
APR-12-17

When I get old paper that comes across my desk and it is dated "12/11/16" causes me to pause a bit.
(However, DD-MM-YY is better in every way.)

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I propose a compromise of Day-Year-Month

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

http://metric1.org/8601.pdf

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
Happy New Year's you loving assholes

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I propose a compromise of Day-Year-Month

Please dont troll

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Woden posted:

You can store data however you want, this is about the formatting of dates.

ubachung posted:

Ehh not really true. If you’re looking at something in a different year, knowing the year before the month is more logically useful.

yesterday/today/tomorrow when appropriate
ddd for current week (Monday)
ddd d for current month (Monday the 2nd)
MM/dd or MMM d for current year (01/2 or January 2nd)
yyyy/MM/dd or yyyy MMM d otherwise (2017/01/02 or 2017 January 2nd)

yyyy-MM-dd or yyyyMMdd for file storage obviously (2017-01-02 or 20170102)
integer offset from common base for data storage (e.g. excel, database)

Hope this helps you with your soon to be forgotten thread.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

doverhog
May 31, 2013

And please stop using the names of months for fucks sake, they have a goddamn number for a reason.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

doverhog posted:

this is an unhelpful example... is tomorrow 02.01 or 01.02?

doverhog posted:

And please stop using the names of months for fucks sake, they have a goddamn number for a reason.

joined May 31, 2013 - ya know I really wish that said 05.31.2013 ya big dummy

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Thanks for calling me big. :drac:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

Ruggan posted:

Ehh not really true. If you’re looking at something in a different year, knowing the year before the month is more logically useful.

yesterday/today/tomorrow when appropriate
ddd for current week (Monday)
ddd d for current month (Monday the 2nd)
MM/dd or MMM d for current year (01/2 or January 2nd)
yyyy/MM/dd or yyyy MMM d otherwise (2017/01/02 or 2017 January 2nd)

yyyy-MM-dd or yyyyMMdd for file storage obviously (2017-01-02 or 20170102)
integer offset from common base for data storage (e.g. excel, database)

Hope this helps you with your soon to be forgotten thread.

Just use grep or something you nerd, the rest of us benefit greatly from not having to read the year and month every single time we just need the date.

• Locked thread