Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

drat it is loving cold outside. I think I'm getting old and soft.
I've spent prolonged periods in extreme cold before, but now I can barely handle waiting for my car to warm up on the way to work.

I hate cold, but oddly, I tolerated the 17-24 degree F temps outside pretty much all day during my plumbing escapade.
I'd like to thank the Carhartt jacked I found in the trunk of a car in the wrecking yard, and, similarly, the Carhartt toque I found somewhere I don't recall. I had to wear a different coat to work this morning because I got mud all over the Carhartt. Need to make sure that gets washed ASAP.
The fact that the temperature in the hole where I had to work with my hands was probably 65F, since it was 3' down, probably helped. The sun was also out, which helped, and wind was very mild.

All tolled, I really expected to hurt more from working in the cold and my out-of-shape rear end having to shovel dirt. The worst I've got is my ribs hurt from lying on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

That's not gone well.

Rock Auto only lists two Motorcraft part numbers for the knuckle, left and right MEF75 and MEF74, for all years 2003-2011. I don't think there's a difference between Service and Civilian on that part, or the bearing packs.

There is a split in the bearing pack part numbers @ Feb 2005. for some reason, but I'm betting that electrical properties or connectors on the ABS sensors.

I think you've either got a mis-machined knuckle, or need better mechanics.

They sent a civvie bearing pack and all the ABS stuff was completely different and wouldn't hook up to my car right, they were gonna try it. I looked at the knuckle myself and the bores were definitely different. Apparently it's not a press fit like I imagined, but the bearing pack on my car is still physically larger, so it wouldn't work in that knuckle.

Manager brought up the part number thing as well. If you look on this ebay shot, there's the casting number, 3W13-3K171.

On mine, there's an A1 above and to the right of that number; the part they sent had C3. Best we can figure that's got something to do with it. Talking to the manager he seems like his head's screwed on straight so I'm taking him at his word for now. He's gonna try junkyards tomorrow to see if they have any Interceptors to pull a part directly off, otherwise he said he's gonna contact Ford directly to try and sort this poo poo out.

Might just be that they got sent "03 and up" parts that don't account for that bearing change in 05? I dunno, we'll see.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
On Ford parts that's typically the revision number so A1 is the original and C3 means 3rd revision of the physical part and 3rd revision of the coating. There may or may not be a functional change that would make them not interchangeable but every one I've seen hasn't affected it. The XXXX-XXXXX code is the part number, usualy the revision is a -X# right after but castings can sometimes play by different rules because brake manufacturers have a lot more control of the design than usual.

edit: can you tell me if you can find a foundry name or brake manufacturer name cast into yours?

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 3, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Like 90% of the reason to eat there is for the onion volcano and/or train, what's the point in delivering it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR3Y_9Y74L0

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Ha, Costco has the battery for 99 bucks.

Looks like I'mma piss off my former co-workers at Advance :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Costco's battery warranty is the best because they don't even waste your time in testing it. You say it's bad, it's bad. Combine that with batteries that live 18-24 months and a warranty term that I'm pretty sure resets every time you exchange it, and it's a free battery forever.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I had to go get a thermostat for the car from canadian tire on new years, and there was a loooooooong line-up of people at the parts desk all shuffling bloated frost-coated car batteries along the floor in front of them, and the store had a whole bunch of printed out signs that said "We don't warranty frozen batteries" New years was the first day above -25*C in a week

Whole lotta people having a really lovely day.

Also, the big gently caress-off batteries for large trucks go on sale regularly for $89, and you can get posts that screw onto them for regular vehicles. Definitely the way to go if you have the space.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Costco's battery warranty is the best because they don't even waste your time in testing it. You say it's bad, it's bad. Combine that with batteries that live 18-24 months and a warranty term that I'm pretty sure resets every time you exchange it, and it's a free battery forever.

Costco batteries around here are made by Johnson Controls, IE: Interstate. It's hands down the best place I've found to buy a battery if you have a membership.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:cripes: Even my weird rear end electric plan may not save me this month. Looked at the smartmetertexas website, I've been using 80 kwh a loving day since the cold snap hit. I've already sailed past 1000 kwh, and have 11 days left in the billing cycle. I can't break 1499 kwh, or my rate quadruples (for all usage, not just anything past 1500).

I want to find whoever decided putting an electric water heater outside in an uninsulated closet was a good idea. Just went outside and turned it down (way, way down). At least we're going back to a more normal weather pattern in a couple of days. Electric heat sucks too, but I've kept it pretty low (60); it's only running about 5-10 minutes an hour.

Goober Peas posted:

So I have a beef with Uber Eats - the app won't let me tip when I place the order. And it won't let me tip until 5-10 minutes after the order has been delivered. Which is usually when I'm eating what got delivered. And then I forget until a week later when I open the app and see there's a closed order asking me if I want to leave a tip. Then I look like a goober when I leave a tip a week after delivery.

Yeah that's an annoyance. When people ask how to tip in the app, I tell them to wait 15 minutes and open the app back up. I've had tips come in 2 weeks after the delivery with them, friend has had them show up a month later.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

kimbo305 posted:

I dunno which city you're in, but I can access dozens of places with free delivery (plus tip) on Grubhub (Foodler RIP). The delivery times certainly vary.
I used Foodler so much that when Grubhub bought them, they gave me $310 in gift card credit.

... delivery... food?

I'm confused.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jymmybob posted:

On Ford parts that's typically the revision number so A1 is the original and C3 means 3rd revision of the physical part and 3rd revision of the coating. There may or may not be a functional change that would make them not interchangeable but every one I've seen hasn't affected it. The XXXX-XXXXX code is the part number, usualy the revision is a -X# right after but castings can sometimes play by different rules because brake manufacturers have a lot more control of the design than usual.

edit: can you tell me if you can find a foundry name or brake manufacturer name cast into yours?

Part's still at the shop, I'm home now. Don't have a good picture of the castings on mine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That is such a weird and lovely lottery.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
Meanwhile it was in the high 40F's today..... in Anchorage loving Alaska.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Advance's are made by Johnson Controls, too. The $70 difference paid for my membership, the 42mo (instead of Advance's 36mo) warranty is just icing. Same battery, lower price with better warranty? Sign me the hell up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Locator posted:

So far 2018 is going well. Work sent out an email that thanks to the expected savings from the new corporate tax code, everyone is getting a one time bonus of $1000 later this month.

lol they're throwing you crumbs

IOwnCalculus posted:

not if you dropped it on the corner and chipped a chunk off :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BraveUlysses posted:

I much prefer this crumb over what most companies are likely to give to their employees for the change. Also, that's well north of $11 million for the company to issue that check to everyone, so I find it hard to bitch about it. The hourly helpdesk people have to be ecstatic!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Seminal Flu posted:

That is such a weird and lovely lottery.
Welcome to the wonderful and entertaining person that is yu-gi-ho (Some Texas Redneck, AKA STR).

BraveUlysses posted:

It's still a $1000 bonus. Less after taxes, less less after the relevant tax cuts.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 3, 2018

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Can't sleep and I'm hoping that storm clears it soon or my flight home from Ireland Thursday is going to be delayed :/

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
WHAT DO YOU CALL EURETHANE ARACHNIDS

Adiabatic posted:

Poly ticks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
loving pipes froze and now I need to replace the inlet valve in my washer for $80 and epoxy leaking water pipe joint before giving up and re soldering it when it doesn't work. gently caress 2018.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I agree, this cold can gently caress right off. I will need to buy 300 gallons of LP next week plus a $275 electric bill from stock tank heaters. And we didn’t even get snow to make it look pretty.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm in that season where my hands, face, and feet are dry and itchy and no amount of lotion/moisturizer/other potions help. Glad it only happens once a year and only lasts about 2 weeks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Locator posted:

I much prefer this crumb over what most companies are likely to give to their employees for the change. Also, that's well north of $11 million for the company to issue that check to everyone, so I find it hard to bitch about it. The hourly helpdesk people have to be ecstatic!

i misread it the first time as 100 but imo its absolutely crumbs if they're attributing it to the tax cuts

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

DICK DICER posted:

WHAT DO YOU CALL EURETHANE ARACHNIDS

loving el oh el.
GOOD DAY SIR!

Stream of consciousness rambling to catch up to thread activity.

I left home for Chicago to attend a few meetings this week (you may have noticed an exponential uptick in my snapchat posting). It was a stark reminder that I barely leave the house (back in VT)... I walked a few blocks for dinner, and man that windchill along the river is coooooold, but I can hack it. For what amounted to the chipotle/moe's equivalent of indian fast food, it was surprisingly delicious. Between that, the rather large beer and Caramel M&Ms, I'm sufficiently stuffed that I should probably crawl into bed and commence my food coma since I won't be interrupted by tiny children tonight. Along those lines, as much as they can anger and frustrate me, my kids are damned amazing, and I can't help but smile at the other kids I see out and about in this world. I know it's not for everyone, and that's all cool, but I never thought I'd really be such a "dad." It's really pretty amazing.

There's some hosed up poo poo going on in this world, but there are definitely parts I'm glad are in my day to day life, and sometimes the nice reminder is getting a small break and looking at the world. Step back, take a breath and be/do good, goons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chicago's a great city to visit. Glad you didn't get murdered.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Chicago's a great city to visit. Glad you didn't get murdered.

You didnt say that when I came through :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Along those lines, as much as they can anger and frustrate me, my kids are damned amazing, and I can't help but smile at the other kids I see out and about in this world. I know it's not for everyone, and that's all cool, but I never thought I'd really be such a "dad." It's really pretty amazing.

Same. If I'm just out running an errand without my kid and I see someone else with a child riding on their shoulders in Costco, I get all :3:

Rhyno posted:

Chicago's a great city to visit.

I've spent a total of eight hours there and I want to go back.

Really I think I want to expand my travels to categories other than "AZ", "SoCal", and "Indianapolis". The amount of time I've spent in places that don't fit those three is way too small.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

I'm in that season where my hands, face, and feet are dry and itchy and no amount of lotion/moisturizer/other potions help. Glad it only happens once a year and only lasts about 2 weeks.

Sir, I woke up this morning the most ashy windburnt person on planet Earth, like literally I could rub my forehead and it looked like falling snow, and my hands looked like a cracked hellscape. Fifteen minutes after I applied this I was fine: Badger Balm. This poo poo is like Bag Balm (used for chapped bovine exposed skin in the Dakotas) on steroids, but gentle enough for humans. I've been using it for 6 years now in the super dry Alaska winters, and a tin goes in my day bag everywhere, a little goes a long dang way, won't cause breakouts if you use it on your face, and I cant recommend it enough.

Also, have a hella good stoner/sludge metal album guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljOpWcO9Gbw

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well there we go, Goon Meet in Chicago.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
you bring the hotsauce.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Enough to fill a bathtub.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

i misread it the first time as 100 but imo its absolutely crumbs if they're attributing it to the tax cuts

You are quite the cheery fellow! It's still $1000 before taxes that was completely unexpected, and I'm salaried so it's not often I get unexpected extra money. Stop pissing in my Cheerios man, it's a lot better than fixing frozen pipes while not getting extra money.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Locator posted:

You are quite the cheery fellow! It's still $1000 before taxes that was completely unexpected, and I'm salaried so it's not often I get unexpected extra money. Stop pissing in my Cheerios man, it's a lot better than fixing frozen pipes while not getting extra money.

Hey bro don't take my criticism of the disaster tax bill as a swipe at you, I hope this money helps you out or allows you to do something fun with it.

I'm not calling it crumbs in the sense that it's an insignificant amount of money to you, it's crumbs compared to the extra money they will keep to enrich themselves.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 3, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Goober Peas posted:

I recommend using moisturizer and then about an hour later using some sort of corticosteroid (Hydrocortisone is what you can get OTC. I have stronger stuff because I get rashes all the time. Winter skin is an issue. Nickel sucks rear end. Also, I'm mildly allergic to the sun, so that's awesome.). Apparently the moisturizer lets the medication work better, or that's what my doctor told me.
Also, use like an actual body wash, not soap. I use some aveeno unscented body wash stuff, which apparently isn't "manly" but neither are forearms covered in rashes, sooooo. That combined with the unscented/no color All detergent has kept me from breaking out in rash on the regular.
Your rash/itch is also probably some sort of allergic reaction, though more mild. You only get it in the winter because the lack of moisture makes your skin less protected or something. Take away the irritants and that will help even if you can't keep the moisture in your skin.

Oh, try taking one of those 24 allergy meds. I use loratadine daily, which my doctor says is kosher.

For the feet, try Kerasal.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm not calling it crumbs in the sense that it's an insignificant amount of money to you, it's crumbs compared to the extra money they will keep to enrich themselves.

Ignoring the politics, the company will actually very likely use the extra money to pay off the latest acquisition. My company doesn't like debt at all, and only expands (by acquisition) when the debt from the previous big move has been completely paid off and a big chunk of the next one is cash in the bank.

It would be pretty nice if they'd use some of it to expand the merit raise pool though, as that's the one thing that I really think needs to be improved at this place for employee moral.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Locator posted:

It would be pretty nice if they'd use some of it to expand the merit raise pool though, as that's the one thing that I really think needs to be improved at this place for employee moral.

Yep. I'm convinced for the workload/responsibility most folks making under 100k are way underpaid these days anyway and probably quite a few making over that for that matter with the cost of living in certain areas.

The latest RCR video is a quickie review of an LS swapped RX7 and the comments are so butthurt. It's great.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

All the power companies in the area have asked people to reduce their thermostat and avoid any unnecessary power consumption because they're struggling to keep up. Heat pumps are the norm in TN and they suck when it's under ~40F, yesterday morning it was 9 at my house and the heat pump was just barely keeping the house at 62 (we sleep with it cool). Plugged in space heaters to take a little load off the heat pump and closed vents in the spare bedrooms. Have a couple more mornings in the 10-15 range then it'll start warming back up.

I'll be glad when this cold snap is over.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Plugged in space heaters to take a little load off the heat pump

I'm, uh, not sure if that's what your poco has in mind.

You'll find as many opinions as assholes....but if you have a way to monitor kWh usage, it may be worth experimenting with running on emergency heat, which disables the heat pump and runs on auxiliary. As a straight comparison, the heat pump is far more efficient, down even lower than the temps you're seeing.

But from what I've read, few figure in the time that the unit spends in defrost (where it switches to a/c and runs aux heat, to melt ice off the condenser coil), because it's complicated and it depends on the defrost timer, efficiency of the unit, and heat loss of the home. There has to be a break even point, where the kwh is the same and you're much more comfortable inside.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ilkhan posted:

Welcome to the wonderful and entertaining person that is yu-gi-ho (his old name I don't remember).

He was, and is, Some Texas Redneck, AKA STR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

angryrobots posted:

I'm, uh, not sure if that's what your poco has in mind.

You'll find as many opinions as assholes....but if you have a way to monitor kWh usage, it may be worth experimenting with running on emergency heat, which disables the heat pump and runs on auxiliary. As a straight comparison, the heat pump is far more efficient, down even lower than the temps you're seeing.

But from what I've read, few figure in the time that the unit spends in defrost (where it switches to a/c and runs aux heat, to melt ice off the condenser coil), because it's complicated and it depends on the defrost timer, efficiency of the unit, and heat loss of the home. There has to be a break even point, where the kwh is the same and you're much more comfortable inside.

Space heaters were only to let the heat pump not run 100% of the time, nothing to do with their request for less consumption. We dropped the house temp down when we left in the morning to help reduce our usage during the 7-11am high consumption period they were worried about.

• Locked thread