Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy 2018!

So I'm going to try and see if we can live without specific TV shows being banned from discussion in this thread. This will probably last a day but at least we tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Korra is my favorite show

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
lmaoooo Crocodile might be the dumbest episode of Black Mirror yet and that's really saying something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
But he really was a great #2! :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The ending for Lost is total trash

FREE IRISH JOE

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Patriot is a masterpiece and if you haven't seen it yet you should be ashamed. You disgust me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HorseRenoir posted:

lmaoooo Crocodile might be the dumbest episode of Black Mirror yet and that's really saying something.

You know what will solve my killing problem? More killing!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thread doesn't have couch in the title how am I supposed to imagine us chatting.... standing like barbarians???

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

"it's not murder if you believe it" - george costanza

MiddleOne posted:

Patriot is a masterpiece and if you haven't seen it yet you should be ashamed. You disgust me.

:same:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MiddleOne posted:

We must convert everyone.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also new thread, new reminder to get your votes in for TVIV's Top 10 Poll for 2017. Only your votes can prevent Toxx from gloating when The Leftovers wins!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

This is 100% me

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Spoilers man.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Eyyy I'm TV TALKIN here.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Thread doesn't have couch in the title how am I supposed to imagine us chatting.... standing like barbarians???

In a big pile like Sea Lions.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What to watch when we complete Mrs Maisel?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ynohtna posted:

idk I'm at a loss with this as well. HaCF and Mrs Maisel were the last two series I finished. Re-watching Six Feet Under right now till something piques my interest.

btw SFU's opening theme is annoyingly catchy and I'll catch myself whistling it without realizing I've been doing it for a while

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 31, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Krazyface posted:

Eyyy I'm TV TALKIN here.

How you doin'???

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

In a big pile like Sea Lions.

I can accept that

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ynohtna posted:

Have you seen The Tick yet? It’s fun, hilarious, and you can bang the whole thing out in an afternoon if you want.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Korea... check
Lost... check

*RUNS INTO THREAD LOOKING AT HIS WATCH, RUNNING OUT OF BREATH*

B-b-b-battlestar Galactica!

Happy New Year.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm on my third watch through of Patriot and it really is amazing.

Also, Chance is really loving good and I probably want to make a huge effort post about why sometime.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Happy 2018!

Please read this article and stop pretending that The West Wing is a good show.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/04/how-liberals-fell-in-love-with-the-west-wing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hello new thread! Hope everyone has a wonderful new year. I dunno if I can ever watch as many shows in 2018 as I did in 2017 (like 112 when I finish the things I have left), but I sure can try!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Happy 2018!

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/04/how-liberals-fell-in-love-with-the-west-wing

Bailed out at the Lin-Manuel Miranda quote. Also the odd comparison between TWW and Scandal of all things? TWW was a good show, that can be enjoyed while realizing that reality and TV are two different things.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Rarity posted:

Also, she finds hiding the first (accidental) killing she didn't even do objectionable but then goes on a killing spree herself a few years later with not a bother on her because of *reasons*.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Bailed out at the Lin-Manuel Miranda quote. Also the odd comparison between TWW and Scandal of all things? TWW was a good show, that can be enjoyed while realizing that reality and TV are two different things.

The LMM quote is used as emphasis of the deleterious effects of TWW as a whole.

And literally the whole article is about how TWW has negatively affected reality, most notably in how it has informed perception of the Obama administration, "brutal liberal owns" are the most highly-valued currency of Dem politicians over good governance, how it has made a bunch of people enter politics who think administrative bureaucracy is super sexy and cool over a literal life and death situation for constituents, how it has created the environment within which neoliberalism flourishes, how it presented the presidency as this Super Serious and Quietly Noble profession that Must Be Respected, how it has glorifies The Process and "noble debate", how it spreads "both sides" rhetoric as necessary, how it establishes a culture of elitism and the (false) supposition that politicans are our Inherent Betters, how it emphasises above all else respect and The Discourse that we see even now how dumbass Dems think you can just debate Nazis away, and on and on and on.

If it had no effect on the current political climate, the one that literally directly led to Trump being elected, it'd be just be a bad, dumb show all about how Rich White People need to save everyone else, especially minorities, from themselves. But there are so many seeds of the mess we are now in politically that, if not planted, were definitely watered and took root because of TWW and its cultural impact, and that article argues persuasively why TWW should be shoved into the dustbin of history.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Happy 2018!

Good lord that guy is trying like hell to show he got a perfect verbal SAT score.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

And literally the whole article is about how TWW has negatively affected reality, most notably in how it has informed perception of the Obama administration, "brutal liberal owns" are the most highly-valued currency of Dem politicians over good governance, how it has made a bunch of people enter politics who think administrative bureaucracy is super sexy and cool over a literal life and death situation for constituents, how it has created the environment within which neoliberalism flourishes, how it presented the presidency as this Super Serious and Quietly Noble profession that Must Be Respected, how it has glorifies The Process and "noble debate", how it spreads "both sides" rhetoric as necessary, how it establishes a culture of elitism and the (false) supposition that politicans are our Inherent Betters, how it emphasises above all else respect and The Discourse that we see even now how dumbass Dems think you can just debate Nazis away, and on and on and on.

If it had no effect on the current political climate, the one that literally directly led to Trump being elected, it'd be just be a bad, dumb show all about how Rich White People need to save everyone else, especially minorities, from themselves. But there are so many seeds of the mess we are now in politically that, if not planted, were definitely watered and took root because of TWW and its cultural impact, and that article argues persuasively why TWW should be shoved into the dustbin of history.

OK, but it was still a good show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Great cast.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Watching Daredevil on Netflix at the moment.

The guy that plays Foggy is such a bad actor that it's distracting in every scene he's in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The West Wing didn't really have a cultural impact.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aphrodite posted:

The West Wing didn't really have a cultural impact.

Certainly impacted this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TTD5-3fuZE

I only like 2 songs on Hamilton

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I have 11 things left on my top 10 list and can't pick one to cut :negative:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Reminder that SyFy is having its New Years' Twilight Zone marathon. I always assume they're going to get rid of it every year because they've had the holiday marathons since 1995 (back when the network mainly showed classic scifi/horror programming).

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Stroked out Dick Clark could count better than Ryan Seacrest did. Happy New years, goons!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

HorseRenoir posted:

Dumber than farting cartoon bear or "Community episode played straight"? I've got to see this.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sir, this is the TV Talkin' thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

It never clicked with me :shrug: