Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

swickles posted:

Hey Hulu subscribers, I am leaving the US for a week. Does it work outside of the US? Is it like Netflix where they have a whole different library? Is a VPN a viable option?

I don't have Hulu but if it doesn't work outside the US I don't see why a VPN wouldn't fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

swickles posted:

Hey Hulu subscribers, I am leaving the US for a week. Does it work outside of the US?

No :(

swickles posted:

Is it like Netflix where they have a whole different library?

No :(

swickles posted:

Is a VPN a viable option?

Possibly - most data-center IP addresses are blocked, but there's a few VPNs out there that specifically advertise Hulu compatibility.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I love how in Frasier very late in the series they decided to make Daphne an expert rat breeder just for that one scene and it’s never brought up again

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

I love how in Frasier very late in the series they decided to make Daphne an expert rat breeder just for that one scene and it’s never brought up again

They did some weird poo poo with Daphne (and, to a lesser extent, Niles) because half the show's gimmick was the "will they or won't they" thing, and once they decided to get them together they had absolutely no idea what to do from there.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Daphne Moon, the live-in physical therapist, maid, psychic, rat breeder, and child TV star. Truly one of the most grounded fictional characters of our modern era.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joe Pera talks with You is like the polar opposite of most Adult Swim shows. Just so very low key and kind.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

God drat I love Jeff Bezos. That rich, bald, bastard. I'm definitely renewing Prime.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Amazon Studios is in talks to revive one of CEO Jeff Bezos' favorite properties.

The retailer and streaming outlet is near a deal to revive the space drama The Expanse for a fourth season just 10 days after Syfy canceled the series. Amazon Studios declined comment as sources note the deal is not closed.

So it could happen, and I hope it does, but nothing is confirmed yet.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

raditts posted:

I don't have Hulu but if it doesn't work outside the US I don't see why a VPN wouldn't fix that.

Because Netflix, and presumably Hulu, have gotten more aggressive towards VPNs in the last few years, now that they're available internationally. Most VPNs don't work and the few that still do eventually don't. I haven't been able to get around it either, I had a box on AWS and another on a very obscure hosting provider in Texas, and Netflix was wise to me using both of them. I would assume, but haven't tried to verify for myself, that it's the same with Hulu.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm team Jeff for picking up The Expanse (maybe).

But i can still see him becoming Hank Scorpio.

Argue posted:

Because Netflix, and presumably Hulu, have gotten more aggressive towards VPNs in the last few years, now that they're available internationally. Most VPNs don't work and the few that still do eventually don't. I haven't been able to get around it either, I had a box on AWS and another on a very obscure hosting provider in Texas, and Netflix was wise to me using both of them. I would assume, but haven't tried to verify for myself, that it's the same with Hulu.

I can still watch American netlfix on mine, but i don't know if other countries work.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I am interested in hearing what your VPN provider is.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Joe Pera talks with You is like the polar opposite of most Adult Swim shows. Just so very low key and kind.

Joe Pera Talks You to Sleep (the first special), was the weirdest watch because of that. I remember spending the whole run wondering when it was going to go horror show, but it was just weirdly pleasant.

Last week they ran it back to back with This House Has People In It, which is probably the hardest tone whiplash that I can imagine.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Whats the other alternative to VPNs? My mate does that and it works fine.

DNS is what I was thinking. Try that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y’all all apologize to Jeff Bezos for making fun of his LOTR series

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Argue posted:

I am interested in hearing what your VPN provider is.

One of the big ones 4 letters, starts with N.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jeff Bezos seems like an actually cool guy

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

precision posted:

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah a total cool dude whose company holds local governments hostage because they dare ask an infrastructure and residental space consuming megacorporation to pay a fractionally higher tax rate while exploiting their workers to the point where they're priced out of their own city. I for one am thrilled that I will live to see an individual man be worth one trillion dollars at some point in the next few years!

At least I'll be able to buy health insurance from the same people who sell me socks and cat food, that will be convenient.

*cough*

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

Y’all all apologize to Jeff Bezos for making fun of his LOTR series

No. LOTR series is still dumb as poo poo.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Trump's hatred of Bezos is the perfect example of the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yeah a total cool dude whose company holds local governments hostage because they dare ask an infrastructure and residental space consuming megacorporation to pay a fractionally higher tax rate while exploiting their workers to the point where they're priced out of their own city. I for one am thrilled that I will live to see an individual man be worth one trillion dollars at some point in the next few years!

At least I'll be able to buy health insurance from the same people who sell me socks and cat food, that will be convenient.

*cough*

https://mobile.twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/875714916723826689

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't know about any of that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the next 5 years all Whole Foods will be automated with no employees.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

I got laid off from a really solid job because he wanted to buy the Washington Post company so all their subsidiaries slashed operating costs as hard as possible. It was a fuckin bloodbath.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

In the next 5 years all Whole Foods will be automated with no employees.

I'm terrified that Whole Foods will buy out my local co-op

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got laid off from a really solid job because he wanted to buy the Washington Post company so all their subsidiaries slashed operating costs as hard as possible. It was a fuckin bloodbath.
I thought he left WaPo pretty much alone when he took over. :confused:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I mean I'm a giant hypocrite to be critical of amazon because I've been using them since 2001 and still buy stuff from them. But there's no reason they can't treat their workers and the communities they exploit fairly, other than pure greed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

precision posted:

I didn't know about any of that.

He's the richest man in the world, there was never any chance hes not evil

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Regy Rusty posted:

He's the richest man in the world, there was never any chance hes not evil

I like that all of Trump's crybabying is because he's jealous of how successful and wealthy Bezos is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I mean I'm a giant hypocrite to be critical of amazon because I've been using them since 2001 and still buy stuff from them. But there's no reason they can't treat their workers and the communities they exploit fairly, other than pure greed.

I don't blame the execs. They want to make money and are ruthless about it. I blame the government for letting it happen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I like that all of Trump's crybabying is because he's jealous of how successful and wealthy Bezos is.

Plus nothing that he wants to do has anything to do with hedging the monopolies and runaway growth of corporations like Amazon, he just wants to do some small petty thing to make himself feel powerful.

Still I'm glad if the Expanse gets saved.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Is Trump gonna start hate-tweeting about The Expanse now that Bezos's saved it?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't blame the execs. They want to make money and are ruthless about it. I blame the government for letting it happen.

Why not both? A company can be profitable and moral. Bezos could give up 99% of his wealth and still be worth hundreds of millions. Capitalism might be the explanation but it shouldn't be the justification. Eat the rich, ya'll.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Because rich people are inherently bad, it's in their nature. Governments should know this. There's a reason a giant corporation like Amazon couldn't exist in any other country. At least European countries have the balls to go after Google and Facebook over privacy concerns.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought he left WaPo pretty much alone when he took over. :confused:

He did, but just his interest meant that WaPo cut down on everything to make the deal as attractive as possible.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Another one

https://twitter.com/Snoodit/status/998752512252329985

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, Bezos is as much of a douchebag libertarian techbro as Elon Musk and Travis Kalanick; he just has a slightly better rap because his company is so embedded in popular culture that he can scoot by. The way he's been hosting a dating game to see which city gives him the best sweetheart deal on HQ2 is absolutely nauseating.

Man, Dylan McDermott has not had good luck since leaving The Practice, has he?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fox should cancel their broadcasting fees.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Timby posted:

Yeah, Bezos is as much of a douchebag libertarian techbro as Elon Musk and Travis Kalanick; he just has a slightly better rap because his company is so embedded in popular culture that he can scoot by.

Trump deciding to despise him also gives him some good PR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Welp, my fox watching is going to consist of, um...

The Gifted (really doubt this will make it past season 2 unless it moves to FX.)
Gotham (final season)
Bob's Burgers
And I guess Simpsons and Family Guy out of pure inertia.

I lost:
New Girl
The Mick
LA to Vegas
B99
X-Files

So, my Fox viewing was literally cut in half, more so even since Gotham is getting a cut down series order.

Maybe this means Ghosted will get picked up, but that seems really unlikely since it hasn't been on the schedule since Jan even though they ordered new episodes.

I remember the show-runners for LA to Vegas saying Fox wanted them to pitch them an "Event" season 2 premier and wanted them to expand the scope of the show.

I don't recall seeing anything new on their slate for 2018 that I found remotely interesting.

Edit: I forgot about The Orville, so that's something at least.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 22, 2018