Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

India was upset that they took a revered figure and turned him into a party head. Nothing too complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lots of Indians were offended by the portrayal of Gandhi as a party guy, and I think there were protest fasts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

God I hope they never played Civ IV

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

EL BROMANCE posted:

India was upset that they took a revered figure and turned him into a party head. Nothing too complicated.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No talk of 'opening bobs', I challenge the authenticity!

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

I don't get it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Coulda been worse, they could have portrayed him accurately.

(Gandhi did good stuff but he was totally a megaracist)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
#saveshadowhunters

No really, season 1 was cheesy fun but drat season 2 and 3 went dark places. Plus Clary is a gorgeous redhead that I, a straight woman, want to see more of on my TV screen

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Erotic Wakes posted:

I don't get it.

There was a thread in GBS about crazy FB comments by horny Indian men. Most of them were comments on women’s pics like ‘big nipples big life’ ‘show bobs’ ‘show vagene’ ‘lovely milks’

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lived with a girl from India for a year and a half and yeah that poo poo is very widespread

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol: all this time I figured that "big nipples big life" was some kind of acceptance slogan for natural big boobs

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
All men are horny creeps, some of us just know how to hide it better.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Escobarbarian posted:

Lived with a girl from India for a year and a half and yeah that poo poo is very widespread

See also: messages I would get back when I was on OKC.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

Also the second season of The Terror:

First season will be hard to top, especially since it won't have excellent source material to draw on, but they did such a good job they've earned the benefit of the doubt, I think.

The big hurdle I see with Terror S2 is that I think S1 benefited so much from the look and feel of being trapped in the ice. It was beautiful and absolutely terrifying. Its hard to replicate that. But on the flip side Japanese internment camps obviously deal more with the horror of man than the horror of nature and the show runners absolutely have earned the benefit of the doubt that they can make it work.

Its just always hard when the bar is set as high as S1 set it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

All people are horny creeps, some of us just know how to hide it better.

fixed that for ya

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

The big hurdle I see with Terror S2 is that I think S1 benefited so much from the look and feel of being trapped in the ice. It was beautiful and absolutely terrifying. Its hard to replicate that. But on the flip side Japanese internment camps obviously deal more with the horror of man than the horror of nature and the show runners absolutely have earned the benefit of the doubt that they can make it work.

Its just always hard when the bar is set as high as S1 set it.

If you liked that feel, you should read the book. While the series is excellent, it doesn't (and can't) really communicate just the oppressive, grinding nature of the cold, the ice, the cramped quarters, the sickness and mental anguish these dudes went through. The thing that stuck with me the most is the brutality of the cold, it actually makes you feel cold. You get hints of that in the show, for example when touching bare metal rips off skin, but in the book it's honestly scarier than El Oso del Muerte.

Simmons, again is an islamophobic bigot who lost his mind after 9/11, but his older or his non-political stuff is really sharp. He really excels at creating these oppressive, fever-mad dreamscapes where the characters can't grasp reality. He does this with Calcutta in his first book, a Song for Kali, and he does it with the carnival in The Terror. In the book that event is confusing, frightening and almost Lovecraftian in the way it inflicts madness on its participants. It's directly influenced by Masque of the Red Death in fact.

Simmons is mostly thought of as a scifi author because he wrote one of the 10 best scifi novels of all time, but most of his horror books are excellent as well. I can't speak for his recent stuff, The Terror is the only post 9/11 book of his I read.

All of this is to say if you liked the show it's worth reading the book.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LadyPictureShow posted:

Kappas?

Pfft, you’re thinking too small, friend-o! The guards of an internment camp are being hunted by a bloodthirsty shirime

Kappa are loving terrifying, what are you talking about

if you find one in the water and don't have a cucumber to give it, it'll literally reach into your rear end in a top hat and rip your entire intestinal tract out

e: or you can bow to it and it'll bow back and accidentally dump all the water out of its head-dish, leaving it effectively powerless... and if you then refill the water, the kappa owes a life debt to you and has to serve you

Japanese folklore is loving bonkers in places

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 22, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

If you liked that feel, you should read the book. While the series is excellent, it doesn't (and can't) really communicate just the oppressive, grinding nature of the cold, the ice, the cramped quarters, the sickness and mental anguish these dudes went through. The thing that stuck with me the most is the brutality of the cold, it actually makes you feel cold. You get hints of that in the show, for example when touching bare metal rips off skin, but in the book it's honestly scarier than El Oso del Muerte.

Simmons, again is an islamophobic bigot who lost his mind after 9/11, but his older or his non-political stuff is really sharp. He really excels at creating these oppressive, fever-mad dreamscapes where the characters can't grasp reality. He does this with Calcutta in his first book, a Song for Kali, and he does it with the carnival in The Terror. In the book that event is confusing, frightening and almost Lovecraftian in the way it inflicts madness on its participants. It's directly influenced by Masque of the Red Death in fact.

Simmons is mostly thought of as a scifi author because he wrote one of the 10 best scifi novels of all time, but most of his horror books are excellent as well. I can't speak for his recent stuff, The Terror is the only post 9/11 book of his I read.

All of this is to say if you liked the show it's worth reading the book.

I'll definitely put it on my library read list.

Yeah, the Carnival was an odd element of the Terror because I do get what they were going for with that and it sounds like the book goes more that way, but the way it played in the TV show it fell a little flat and almost felt like Crozier was just mad that his crew was getting their gay on. I guess they just had a hard time recreating that feel that the book went for while staying within the realms of reality. The beauty of how writing can use language to make things sound more fantastic than just showing it on camera does.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LadyPictureShow posted:

There was a thread in GBS about crazy FB comments by horny Indian men. Most of them were comments on women’s pics like ‘big nipples big life’ ‘show bobs’ ‘show vagene’ ‘lovely milks’

It got goldmined. It's pretty amazing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Timeless is officially dead and it’s never coming back, even with time travel shenanigans.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gonz posted:

Timeless is officially dead and it’s never coming back, even with time travel shenanigans.

Season 2 wasn't very good.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gonz posted:

I'm fine with that. I didn't like how it ended.

Though thanks to the show I found out who Robert Johnson and his contribution to music.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Kappa are loving terrifying, what are you talking about

if you find one in the water and don't have a cucumber to give it, it'll literally reach into your rear end in a top hat and rip your entire intestinal tract out

e: or you can bow to it and it'll bow back and accidentally dump all the water out of its head-dish, leaving it effectively powerless... and if you then refill the water, the kappa owes a life debt to you and has to serve you

Japanese folklore is loving bonkers in places

An old Japanese man is killed by uncaring internment camp guards.

One night, one of the camp guards, Smithers, goes missing. A pile of entrails are found not far from where he was last seen, but no body.

Several nights later, in the fog, a junior guard, Ayers, sees who he thinks is his missing friend. He cautiously approaches...

‘Smithers? Is that you?’
He smiles and says nothing, hands moving to undo his belt buckle, pants falling to the ground. He turns around, bends over...
*closeup up Ayers’s eye, widening in shock*

-cut to intro-

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's time to rewatch AbFab for the umpteenth time and it never stops being so perfect.

Jennifer Saunders is so young and thin lmfao

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hollywood Reporter saying Netflix fired their PR chief. Used the n-word at least twice at work, including once to 2 black HR employees who were trying to confront him about the first instance

Netflix CEO's internal memo posted:

All:

I’ve made a decision to let go of Jonathan Friedland. Jonathan contributed greatly in many areas, but his descriptive use of the N-word on at least two occasions at work showed unacceptably low racial awareness and sensitivity, and is not in line with our values as a company.

The first incident was several months ago in a PR meeting about sensitive words. Several people afterwards told him how inappropriate and hurtful his use of the N-word was, and Jonathan apologised to those that had been in the meeting. We hoped this was an awful anomaly never to be repeated.

Three months later he spoke to a meeting of our Black Employees @ Netflix group and did not bring it up, which was understood by many in the meeting to mean he didn’t care and didn’t accept accountability for his words.

The second incident, which I only heard about this week, was a few days after the first incident; this time Jonathan said the N-word again to two of our Black employees in HR who were trying to help him deal with the original offense. The second incident confirmed a deep lack of understanding, and convinced me to let Jonathan go now.

As I reflect on this, at this first incident, I should have done more to use it as a learning moment for everyone at Netflix about how painful and ugly that word is, and that it should not be used. I realize that my privilege has made me intellectualize or otherwise minimize race issues like this. I need to set a better example by learning and listening more so I can be the leader we need.

Depending on where you live or grew up in the world, understanding and sensitivities around the history and use of the N-word can vary. Debate on the use of the word is active around the world (example) as the use of it in popular media like music and film have created some confusion as to whether or not there is ever a time when the use of the N-word is acceptable. For non-Black people, the word should not be spoken as there is almost no context in which it is appropriate or constructive (even when singing a song or reading a script). There is not a way to neutralize the emotion and history behind the word in any context. The use of the phrase “N-word” was created as a euphemism, and the norm, with the intention of providing an acceptable replacement and moving people away from using the specific word. When a person violates this norm, it creates resentment, intense frustration, and great offense for many. Our show Dear White People covers some of this ground.

Going forward, we are going to find ways to educate and help our employees broadly understand the many difficult ways that race, nationality, gender identity and privilege play out in society and our organization. We seek to be great at inclusion, across many dimensions, and these incidents show we are uneven at best. We have already started to engage outside experts to help us learn faster.

Jonathan has been a great contributor and he built a diverse global team creating awareness for Netflix, strengthening our reputation around the world, and helping make us into the successful company we are today. Many of us have worked closely with Jonathan for a long time, and have mixed emotions. Unfortunately, his lack of judgment in this area was too big for him to remain. We care deeply about our employees feeling safe and supported at Netflix.

Much of this information will be in the press shortly. But any detail not in the press is confidential to employees.

-Reed

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do you even work at a company like that in 2018 and be so completely ignorant? what the hell

I've started watching Detroiters and it's completely hilarious. Laughed out loud so much already. Highly recommended.

How are Pose and Succession, if anyone's watching them? Seen some positive comments about Pose (from esperterra and precision, iirc?) but nothing about Succession.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timby posted:

It got goldmined. It's pretty amazing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/indianpeoplefacebook/ is pretty funny.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Escobarbarian posted:

How do you even work at a company like that in 2018 and be so completely ignorant? what the hell

"but... but trump won!!"

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

LadyPictureShow posted:

OK but what does that have to do with Indian people not liking making fun of Gandhi?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

gandhi was DTF

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Escobarbarian posted:

I've started watching Detroiters and it's completely hilarious. Laughed out loud so much already. Highly recommended.

How are Pose and Succession, if anyone's watching them? Seen some positive comments about Pose (from esperterra and precision, iirc?) but nothing about Succession.

Succession owns hard. It's basically a 45 minute Arrested Development / Veep Mashup. Don't expect it to be 10 jokes a minute but the characters work in the same way. I'm not really sure why HBO tries to pass it off as a drama, just looking at the showrunners IMDB page will tell you what kind of show it is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reg E Cathey's last role is in this season's Luke Cage. Man, what a loss that was.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Erotic Wakes posted:

OK but what does that have to do with Indian people not liking making fun of Gandhi?

It’s irrefutable proof that Indian men are terrible horndogs, so Ghandi being portrayed as a party boy in Clone High probably wasn’t fat off, is the point people were getting at.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Popelmon posted:

Succession owns hard. It's basically a 45 minute Arrested Development / Veep Mashup. Don't expect it to be 10 jokes a minute but the characters work in the same way. I'm not really sure why HBO tries to pass it off as a drama, just looking at the showrunners IMDB page will tell you what kind of show it is.

I had the same thoughts as you. The show is way better than advertised and it really should be marketed as a dark comedy because that's pretty much what it is. It also helps if you consider Kendall (the main son) a mixture of Michael Scott and Gob Bluth.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Succession is so good and it drives me nuts that it’s pitched as a drama. So much of it is filmed handheld with a ton of punch-ins in that Thick of It/Office style. Another fun fact, it was shot entirely in 35mm

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice, thanks all!!! I was definitely hoping for more of a comedy with it being a Jesse Armstrong show. Also I love Kieran Culkin.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

Succession is so good and it drives me nuts that it’s pitched as a drama. So much of it is filmed handheld with a ton of punch-ins in that Thick of It/Office style. Another fun fact, it was shot entirely in 35mm

As someone who has recently been thrown from a point of knowing literally nothing into having to film professionally I'd been feeling real bad about the fact that I can't shoot stable for poo poo without a tripod, but then Succession made me feel all better about it by the camera waggling around like an idiot too. :allears:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

feedmyleg posted:

I saw Janeane Garofalo doing standup a couple years ago. It gave me a really good sense of what Daria would be like as a modern adult. And it was very sad.

A modern Daria could be good given the right perspective. And that perspective is that Daria's lovely self absorbed attitude is bad and her smug, judgemental, cynical, and hypocritical outlook on the world (which she snidely espouses from the sidelines while never presenting any real solutions or participating in any activities that would work toward real change) is a poor reflection of her character. Match her up with the current generation of kids who are actually thoughtful, introspective, and politically active while not thinking they're above everything and it has some potential for an interesting series.

Make her a snide smartass who is right about everything and you've missed the point.

If you revive it, just set it in the 90s. Nostalgia is big right now and I doubt the kids today are clamoring for a revival of a 90s MTV show. This is also my opinion on mission hill; besides, you age it 20 years and you're gonna lose wally and gus.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I will watch Supernatural one day.

There's just so much of it.

I wonder if super old people who just watch tv all day go back and watch all old good television from their era.

Dunno if I'm the only one who had parents like this but my mom always asked me why I don't just wait to watch all the good tv shows when I'm super old and have nothing to do all day but chill in the retirement home or whatever, then I can marathon 50 years worth of Sopranos and Game of Thrones level television back-to-back without ever having to wait for a new episode or season.

I think she was trying to get me to go outside and play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

-Blackadder- posted:

I wonder if super old people who just watch tv all day go back and watch all old good television from their era.

Dunno if I'm the only one who had parents like this but my mom always asked me why I don't just wait to watch all the good tv shows when I'm super old and have nothing to do all day but chill in the retirement home or whatever, then I can marathon 50 years worth of Sopranos and Game of Thrones level television back-to-back without ever having to wait for a new episode or season.

I think she was trying to get me to go outside and play.

My parents watch old westerns all the loving time. Although more the movies than the serials