Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
His name is actually Ethangp Eck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did see Wellington Paranormal is out, which totally rules, but I知 still waiting on the sixth and final episode to come online before I binge it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

a bitchin jetski posted:

That's cool. I'm totally on board with it being a higher budget Channel Zero set in the King-O-Verse.

This season was slow to start but it is pretty good now.

Yeah, I'm 100% fine with this. It's what was planned and should have happened with Stranger Things.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The hell kind of name is Ethang

Dong Lover has had a successful career.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I did see Wellington Paranormal is out, which totally rules, but I知 still waiting on the sixth and final episode to come online before I binge it.

Oh drat, I didn't think that was coming out this year. Looks like reviews are pretty solid. Don't suppose there's any legal way to watch this in the states?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I dont feel like watching The Sinner, why did Biel do the murder

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is there a new Daily Show thread or is relegated to DND

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh man, I remember those early 90's attempts to jump on the Simpson's bandwagon. I was just entering adolescence so it was cool to be able to watch cartoons but with grown up jokes. Too bad they were all terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Oh man, I remember those early 90's attempts to jump on the Simpson's bandwagon. I was just entering adolescence so it was cool to be able to watch cartoons but with grown up jokes. Too bad they were all terrible.

Of that entire list, only Mission Hill is remotely watchable and even that has aged horribly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The worst 90s animated shows I remember watching were Fantastic Four and Iron Man. They have to be afghanistanimation. That Capitol Critters show looks ugly as hell but even that is a masterpiece compared to Iron Man.

intro is metal though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y63i2NR9-LE

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Of that entire list, only Mission Hill is remotely watchable and even that has aged horribly.

Clerks: The Animated Series was and is great. Arguably the best thing Smith has ever been involved with.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

esperterra posted:

Like I get that it's supposed to be satire, but doesn't feel like satire all the time even tho it's very clearly written to be? If that makes sense??

It was created by a long time writer of Dexter

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fish Police is literally something the Simpsons would invent to make fun of shows like Fish Police.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

On what service?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it's only out in New Zealand legally

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm the same, i have the last one qued up to download tomorrow. I'll watch it all afterwards.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I just saw that Clerks is on there so you're wrong on both counts.

lol, Gary and Mike. That's a flashback.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just rewatched Mission Hill and I don't think it has aged at all. Like, it was always supposed to be about that era, its like watching Downton Abbey and saying it has aged horribly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

asecondduck posted:

Clerks: The Animated Series was and is great. Arguably the best thing Smith has ever been involved with.

Also written by a showrunner at Veep!

Really, that article is a goldmine for imdb research.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh forgot to mention, Succession had an excellent season finale which could have doubled as a series finale since it capped off one of its main characters arc so well.

I hope that's it for that character, b/c it was beautifully done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Clerks TAS has aged the worst of everything on that list and wasn't that good to begin with. Also everything Kevin Smith has ever done is garbage.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Succession is so good

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Shageletic posted:

Oh forgot to mention, Succession had an excellent season finale which could have doubled as a series finale since it capped off one of its main characters arc so well.

I hope that's it for that character, b/c it was beautifully done.

I dunno, I'm hoping S2 delves into the rise of Tom Wambsgans and Greg the Egg as full-on ultrawealthy supervillains. (I know ultrawealthy supervillians is redundant but I'm just adding that for flair)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

My abiding memory of Father of the Pride is when it had an episode guest-starring Eddie Murphy... as Donkey from Shrek.

Of course, I've always been amused by Jeffrey Katzenberg's comments, which are doubtless an apposite insight on the show's approach to humour:

quote:

According to Katzenberg, Siegfried & Roy's reactions were more positive: "They laughed. A lot. They kept asking us to create more contradiction. Literally, one's blond and one's dark, and every aspect of their life is as black and white as that. They are always playful with one another, always playing tricks on one another. They encouraged us to have fun with that."

Nothing funnier than contradiction, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

My abiding memory of Father of the Pride is when it had an episode guest-starring Eddie Murphy... as Donkey from Shrek.

I remember it being hyped as gently caress by NBC. It's one of those deals where they just saturate with ads but you can tell that it's gonna be a miserable failure. The exemplar of this, both in terms of over-marketing and scale of failure, is Emily's Reasons Why Not. Or any of the sci fi future cop shows Fox tries to do every season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember that episode. Donkey from Shrek was a big celebrity in the Father of the Pride universe

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I keep wondering if that early FOX show where George C. Scott played the President was any good, but I always forget about it before I remember to find it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Succession is so good

I was looking at some reviews about the finale (like this https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/8/6/17655554/succession-season-finale-recap-exit-survey) and I just thought of a great moment they missed.

Shiv sitting down with Gerri, and just owning poo poo, and Gerri saying approvingly "you used to be such a nice girl."

it's the surprise hit of 2018.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The Oblongs had some great throw away lines

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Alan Smithee posted:

If I remember right, Sinner S1 spoilers: When she was a sheltered teen with abusive parents she met an obviously creepy guy she started sneaking around with. Her even more sheltered super-ill sister wanted to live a little before dying so they go to a party with the dude. In the long flashback the guy she murders in the first episode slips some drugs to and then has sex with her underage sister, who then dies mid-sexing. He breaks some bones while trying to do CPR and Biel freaks and attacks him in the same way she kills him with the knife X years later when the same music from the party starts playing at the beach. The guy's doctor dad, disguised with a mask, then cleans up the mess by keeping Biel in a hidden room for 2 months and constantly drugging her until her memory is hosed. When she gets out her parents are no support at all, blaming her for her sister's death and thinking they just ran away. There was also some pharmaceutical drug ring involving all these guys which is another reason the Doctor dad didn't want scrutiny of the death. At the beach with her husband and kid years later, the music starts from a boom box, she sees the dude who (unintentionally) killed her sister, and snaps.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like calling Insatiable one of the worst Netflix shows betrays, if nothing else, an ignorance of the depth of Netflix's catalogue. Remember Hemlock Grove? Yeah, nobody does.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Alan Smithee posted:

The dude accidentally killed her sister and she was having a flashback.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Insatiable keeps getting better and better lmao. I've gone from thinking it's mostly boring with some highs, to being really invested tbh. I feel like a lot of people just saw the trailer, or the bad fat suit in episode one, and chose to not engage further w/o heavy bias. The trailer was awful tho I can't deny that lmao, I definitely went into this expecting it to be at least pointless if not outright bad, but I don't think it's either of those things. Maybe people just gave up after the pilot? It's definitely the worst episode of the series b/c it seemed to have no idea what kind of show it wanted to be, imo.

The across the board vitriol for the show I've seen from critics online blows my mind tbh. There isn't really a lot of fat-shaming going on, the only people in the show who engage in it are either clearly bad people from the start, or the lead character herself, who constantly has her friends and other people she meets telling her that being hot on the outside doesn't matter if you're ugly on the inside-- which she is. She's a horrible person and the show is in no way shy about letting the viewer know that. I'm digging it.

For an admittedly uneven dark comedy that has a couple hiccups with how it handles its tonal shifts from the ridiculous moments to the serious ones, I think it handles a lot of issues p tastefully as well. I can definitely relate to this self destructive af relationship with weight and general self esteem for onesself. I also really like the way it handles one of the leads coming to terms w/ her sexuality. It's messy and awkward and in a good way. It could probably be shorter tho. At least the first few episodes kind of dragged. It really picks up around the mid point, though.

This show is going to have to do some really impressive bombing in the back end for me to come out of it thinking it's bad. Like lmao there's no way this show is worse than something like Girlboss even if it turns into a hot mess for the next 5 or whatever episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

:agreed:

Here's the thread, which I'm gonna repost this good post in:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865984

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's not like there's a show in existence that isn't liked by at least one person.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So basically if you think catcalling is ok you値l like Insatiable?

I COULDN探 RESIST sorry esp

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

lmfao that was a good one, no prob

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

lmaoooooo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I by no means think everyone should watch and love the show, I'm just fascinated by the near unanimous critical opinions of Netflix making a pact with the devil and releasing the antichrist in a 12 episode format lmao

Then I go and look at viewer opinions and it's the more often than not the complete opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

I by no means think everyone should watch and love the show, I'm just fascinated by the near unanimous critical opinions of Netflix making a pact with the devil and releasing the antichrist in a 12 episode format lmao

Then I go and look at viewer opinions and it's the more often than not the complete opposite.

Everyone poo poo all over The Cloverfield Paradox but I actually liked it well enough.

On the other hand, the "modern fantasy + Will Smith" combo also seemed perfect but Bright just got dumber and dumber the more I watched of it. Lots of people love Bright, though.