Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGMxoIL5RGM

Wish this was the whole clip. Sad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm59Xu2SGpo

Dave Foley was a hottie in drag ngl, I guess he got hit on a lot when they'd do the Jocelyn sketches lmao

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAKsCy26xbw

I'm fallin down a KITH hole

esperterra fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I want to say it was Newsradio where they did a joke about Dave realizing he's more attractive as a woman than a man.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ty vimeo for providing me with the clip I wanted to find

https://vimeo.com/278712358

God I love it when people break during sketches.

muscles like this! posted:

I want to say it was Newsradio where they did a joke about Dave realizing he's more attractive as a woman than a man.

Yeah, that sounds about right lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I reference this sketch all the time and no one ever gets it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

Almost certainly accurate; NewsRadio was never afraid to make subtle KitH callbacks.

Obligatory NewsRadio moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC9_WKVH_Xs

(I love this bit even more now because I did actually have to start walking with a cane a few months ago.)

Speaking of sketch company, while That Mitchell & Webb look never quite clicked for me, they did have some classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ofnDdi-vfw

My ex-wife had a couple of friends who would not shut the gently caress up about Sir Digby Chicken Caesar for like a year, though, which ruined that sketch for me, just like dumbass nerds in high school endlessly spouting lines from Monty Python and the Holy Grail turned me off from Monty Python for about a decade straight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Newsradio was such an incredible show. The heatwave episode, good lord.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah when they reveal that Matthew was fantasizing about Bill kissing Catherine I lost it.

Also the episode where it turns out Bill is paying Milos the janitor to steal Joe's gelato.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:agreed:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah the John Mulaney epsidoe of SNL was basically "lets give Mulaney his own sketch show" because half the skits were things he wrote years ago as an SNL writer. Lobster Diner and Drag Brunch were written by him a decade ago and only got made because he was hosting. I guess what I am saying is give Mulaney a skit show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, I remember reading that Lobster Diner had been sitting in a cabinet somewhere since Mulaney's writing days and he begged Lorne to let him finally do it.

I'm so glad that happened, though. My God, the sheer absurdity of it is so much that almost none of the performers in it can keep themselves from breaking during it, even McKinnon, who's probably the best among the current cast about not corpsing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's been a long time since I watched KOTH and I forgot how transcendentally hilarious it often was.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

precision posted:

it's been a long time since I watched KOTH and I forgot how transcendentally hilarious it often was.

It's funny that it was the same time as the greatest then decline of the Simpsons but KOTH on a whole is almost perfect.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Timby posted:

My ex-wife had a couple of friends who would not shut the gently caress up about Sir Digby Chicken Caesar for like a year, though, which ruined that sketch for me, just like dumbass nerds in high school endlessly spouting lines from Monty Python and the Holy Grail turned me off from Monty Python for about a decade straight.

Chicken Caesar is a weird one for me, as it sits between being really funny but quite gross and mean.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just gonna second Timby about the latest Mulaney special, it’s easily his best stand-up yet and is so fuckin good

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This week's Castle Rock took a detour into Twin Peaks by way of The Black Tapes and I am 100% here for it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://vimeo.com/126322279

This thread needs more cowbell.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Disenchantment is amazing, very funny stuff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve only seen the first episode of Disenchantment so far but I really liked it yeah

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve only seen the first episode of Disenchantment so far but I really liked it yeah

YOU'RE RUINING OUR LIVES!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

IRQ posted:

Well MAD Tv was definitely consistent, that's accurate.

MAD TV had a couple great years in the early days after finding their feet, then a sleady decline that got a slight uptick when key and peele were on there and had more creative control, then back to the steady decline until becoming totally unwatchable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIeuBPDUzB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NwBaQTQOeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNFNTVyZCgY

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 17, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

MAD TV had a couple great years in the early days after finding their feet, then a sleady decline that got a slight uptick when key and peele were on there

somehow i did not even know this was a thing holy poo poo

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timby posted:

I'm so glad that happened, though. My God, the sheer absurdity of it is so much that almost none of the performers in it can keep themselves from breaking during it, even McKinnon, who's probably the best among the current cast about not corpsing.

SNL could use more completely absurd skits. Some of the best sketches in recent memory are completely absurd (Lobster Dinner, Davis S. Pumpkins).

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Yeesh the first episode of Enchantment was garbage. Does it get any better?

Edit: "Narrator Voice: It doesn't"

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 17, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Charles manson and his nemesis Detective Duchovny are having a guitar jam session.

precision posted:

somehow i did not even know this was a thing holy poo poo

Key was on there for years! Coach Hines is one of Mad TV's most famous characters!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 17, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Popelmon posted:

Yeesh the first episode of Enchantment was garbage. Does it get any better?

Yes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I kinda feel like it’s figuring out what it wants to be on the fly. First few episodes are very much the writers themselves getting a feel for the characters and the world. It’s never going to be as good as Simpsons and Futurama, but I’m still enjoying it for sure.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
How many episodes in is that? I just got finished the third one and it was real bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m on 6 now. But I was enjoying myself from the beginning

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Futurama had a really loving good pilot, but I also felt that show didn't become the classic it was until season 2. The beginning of that show was particularly weird since as I recall the first season was only aired as 9 episodes and completely out of order, so it's not like there was a throughline to follow.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Same with Simpsons, really. First season is good, but seasons 2-3 are where it really entered the stratosphere

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm going to go on record and say that season one of the Simpsons is bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think season one of Futurama is still very good because they had about a decade of Simpsons experience by that point. I'm sure someone will correct me but off the top of my head I can't think of any really terrible episodes of Futurama from the first season. Looking at the list, the only one I think is a weaker story is "My Three Suns".

(My favourite episodes are all in season three.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm gonna fight you irl.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The animation is bad and the voices are weird

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Back in the late 90's when my local fox affiliate would run two episodes of the Simpsons back to back at 6pm, getting a season 1 episode was the worst thing that could happen in Simpsons reruns.

These days, there is so much worse, and that started when they went to Africa and Fox ran that episode about every time they decided not to run Futurama. And then when the next season started, it wound up in the rerun feed :suicide:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Moaning Lisa, Life on the Fast Lane, Homer’s Odyssey, Krusty Gets Busted.....are you insane

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Foxs was always like "and now a bonus episode of the Simpsons!" ant it was always a lie, because no one wanted that, we wanted new episodes of Futurama

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

The animation is bad and the voices are weird

The voices in the first episode of Futurama were completely different too, everyone sounded sleepy and the whole episode was about that job chip that never came up again because they needed an excuse to get everyone together. Comedy pilots and animation pilots are notoriously bad, it finds its feet in the first few episodes and after that it's fine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

The voices in the first episode of Futurama were completely different too, everyone sounded sleepy and the whole episode was about that job chip that never came up again because they needed an excuse to get everyone together. Comedy pilots and animation pilots are notoriously bad, it finds its feet in the first few episodes and after that it's fine.

I see we are in agreement then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

The animation is bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1N-1C4cqEQ