Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Mu Zeta posted:

Surprised there isn't a procedural about using crowd sourcing to help prosecutors put away criminals

Maybe this is what you were getting at but uh, are you familiar with Wisdom of the Crowd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I envision a court room drama that live streams on the internet and people help in real time

If 51% of the audience requests an objection then the guy has to object.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 20, 2018

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I envision a court room drama that live streams on the internet and people help in real time

I think we'll see something like The Running Man or whatnot too, just think of the brand synergy!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

I think we'll see something like The Running Man or whatnot too, just think of the brand synergy!

I think that a TV series adaptation of The Running Man would be pretty cool, especially if go full American Gladiators.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
HBO Now does the whole "play ads for other shows" thing every time you watch anything and often those trailers kinda spoil the show for you (Ballers, I'm looking at you)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bull3964 posted:

See thread title. Everything was cancelled.

In all seriousness though, I don't have anything new I'm planning on watching this year. There was nothing at any of the upfronts that got my interest.

Yeah it's funny, all the things I like are only on the streaming services, at least for new shows. Succession counts, cuz uh HBO Go.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

IRQ posted:

I think you just hit on what Bezos has been looking for.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

TV has been trying to go in that direction for over 20 years. Fear Factor and Survivor were the beginning, then there was that alleged show about people actually being able to kill each other in Russia or whatever and that one in England where they didn't even tell the people the show had been cancelled etc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Insecure is on some next level poo poo this season

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, sure, that is an exaggeration. But if I pay for your service, I don't want to see ads, full stop. I don't care what they're for.

So personally, to me, there's zero difference in seeing an ad for Centrum Silver versus seeing an ad for Girlboss.

Eh, they're like trailers at the movie theater, that's not a big deal.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ads like that do one of two things. As intended they alert me to something I wasn't aware of but might be interested in. If not they give me a minute or two to check my email/texts whatever. I'm fine with them either way.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wouldn't mind ads when I'm watching Netflix. I usually let the full 15s or whatever pass before it auto plays the next episode of a show, anyway, so nbd extending that a bit.

How long are the ads, anyway? Is it like a full takeover of the screen or do they minimize the credits to PIP and play it then?

X-O posted:

Ads like that do one of two things. As intended they alert me to something I wasn't aware of but might be interested in. If not they give me a minute or two to check my email/texts whatever. I'm fine with them either way.

Yeah, if it's a show I'm really into I can use it as a lil break between to peep my phone or whatever. Otherwise I'm probably just binging something in the background while I do something else and give zero fucks if an ad plays b/c I'm only half paying attention anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't care about between episodes ads. If anything I kind of like them. They give me a chance to check out and either stop binging or just check my phone or go to the bathroom or get something to eat or something.

Only streaming ads I get annoyed by are like I'm doing Cloak and Dagger on the Freeform App right now and its 2:30 minute ad breaks just like on TV. That's annoying. I'll let it go because I want to watch the show and its providing me a way to without any added cost or wait. But its definitely a throwback to a time of TV watching I had left behind.

Well, I also get annoyed by the ads that repeat over and over again in short 10-30 second breaks. I don't mind the break but I gradually lose my mind watching the same ad over and over and over again.

But give me the HBO pre/post show thing any time. That's easy to zone out of or do something else and breaks me out of a zombie mode sometimes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Remember when Hulu offered that ad free tier but for like five shows they had to show a 15 second ad before and after the show and the internet was like "OH I THOUGHT YOU SAID AD FREE YOU LIARS", it's like that

I don't pay for Hulu for this reason.

Lycus posted:

Eh, they're like trailers at the movie theater, that's not a big deal.

And while this isn't why I hate theaters it's a part of it.

I just don't want to be advertised at when I paid for something and given the choice I won't.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
GLOW's been picked up for Season 3 :toot:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rarity posted:

About god drat time. I'm sure we'll see it Nov 2019.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I only got an ad free Hulu account like 4 months ago and we only ever see "ads" for the show we're watching if it is either currently airing or returning soon. Otherwise it just rolls from one to the next.

Rarity posted:

Noice!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IRQ posted:

So, you don't pay for Hulu because New Girl and Agents of Shield needed a single 15 second pre and post roll ad to satisfy their licensing agreements?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Fantastic!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rarity posted:

Awwww yisssss

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

IRQ posted:

You're seriously shorting yourself on this one. You don't have to watch the ad at the end and I only ever encounter it before AOS. Ad free Hulu is great.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rarity posted:

Season 2 had a major lack of ladies pissing scenes, hope they remedy that in the next

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

If 51% of the audience requests an objection then the guy has to object.

IIRC Fox tried a call-in vote guilty/not guilty trial show but it lasted all of one episode.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Insecure is on some next level poo poo this season

I've tried to get into that show, esp since a coworker raves about it. But all I can tell about it is that it's about a lovely relationship I don't particularly give a poo poo about. Seems very soap opera to me.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Just caught with the thread and sorry I missed JERSEY SHORE talk because I've been watching it from the start with my partner and it's really been something. Originally I tapped out at S3 because the Ronnie/Sam stuff became unbearable, but watching it again it's amazing that the two worst people to be together managed to find one another.

Ronnie got on that xenadrine rage and managed to flip out constantly, but Sammie still managed to come across as one of the worst women to live. There was a post-S3 interview I read with the producer who all but said that Sammie has to have drama in her life. It got to the point where I started to feel bad for Ronnie. There was a scene where he's dancing at a club and there's a woman dancing near him, as in like 2 foot away and Sammie flipped out over his 'behaviour'. It's easy to see why she declined to return this time around, particularly since Ronnie still carries a torch for her.

The Situation in S3/S4 years manages to be at his lowest so far. He loves stirring up poo poo and is endlessly drugged out and manages to spend the first half of their Italy trip endlessly hitting on Snooki in a bid to ruin her relationship because she turned him down one time. Though it does culminate in the hilarious sight of him headbutting a wall in a rage and giving himself a concussion and having to go to the hospital because he thought it was just going to be drywall.

Finally, Pauly D and Vinny make such a good double-team, though they have their moments of being assholes, particularly when Deena experiments with another girl and they make her feel like poo poo for it. It's a shame too because a lot of the time they're genuinely funny.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC Fox tried a call-in vote guilty/not guilty trial show but it lasted all of one episode.

Law & Order: SVU did this once, I'm almost positive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

L&O did it twice, once on SVU with a rape case of a college professor and a student and then again on CI where they let people decide whether or not a bad guy lived.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really liked that shortlived show Justice on Fox where they show you a murder at the beginning of the episode and then followed the defense team throughout the whole case and then after you get the verdict at the end of the episode they show what really happened and if the person was really guilty or not. Was a cool concept for a show and I think it would do better today than it did. It also had Victor Garber and Eamonn Walker on it so that's a plus.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrVenkman posted:

The Situation in S3/S4 years manages to be at his lowest so far. He loves stirring up poo poo and is endlessly drugged out and manages to spend the first half of their Italy trip endlessly hitting on Snooki in a bid to ruin her relationship because she turned him down one time. Though it does culminate in the hilarious sight of him headbutting a wall in a rage and giving himself a concussion and having to go to the hospital because he thought it was just going to be drywall.

Yeah it's super pathetic but at the same time, lmao

It's so amazing how they go to Italy and manage to not give a single actual gently caress about seeing a new country or whatever nope they just wanna go to the club and lay around hungover and yelling at each other all day

That's one thing you don't really see but if you think about it must drive them insane. They're not allowed anywhere near a cel phone or a computer the whole time they're taping and they're not allowed to just like watch TV or movies. Explains why they seem to spend so much time berating each other over the smallest poo poo - they literally have nothing else to do

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Who needs a cellphone when you have a duckphone tho???

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Needs more Bananaphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQJjx19sRbs

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

I found a reddit post from a year ago where a guy talked to a CSR from Amazon and they said it was a mistake so either it's not fixed after a year or there's a way to do it

Well, these are ads for other Netflix content not for like Citibank so as long as they remain that and skippable, I'll live. I don't think that Netflix would survive putting actual ad breaks in their content.

Between epsiodes on a binge? Because i think that was the plan

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Who needs a cellphone when you have a duckphone tho???

It makes me irrationally pissy when they call and try to get food delivered at 2 AM and don't even know how the gently caress to order

But then I think that the guys running the cameras probably tip the dude a lot

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gdi I think it's time for another Jersey Shore rewatch. I haven't seen Family Vacation yet so may as well do it all at once!! Been a while.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Why thank you MTV.ca I think I will in fact stream the entire series for free ty

That's convenient af

e: lmao I completely forgot about Sammi and Mike vibing at the beginning and nearly hooking up

esperterra fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 21, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

esperterra posted:

Why thank you MTV.ca I think I will in fact stream the entire series for free ty

That's convenient af

e: lmao I completely forgot about Sammi and Mike vibing at the beginning and nearly hooking up

I wonder how much of Mike's subsequent poo poo-stirring is born from him striking out with Sammi?

What also comes out in a new light is when in the most recent season Snooki talks about how her husband kind of doesn't like her talking with Vinny that much. The show implies that its because they hooked up one time, but forgets that she spends essentially all of season 3 pining for him and that they seemed on the verge of having a real relationship. Her husband seems like a dick anyway, but his attitude toward Snooki and Vinny isn't all that surprising.

Also, as noted, it's easy to forget they get no entertainment whatsoever except eachother until they're sent out to drink. It's not shocking that their worst tendencies come out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I always liked Mike tbh. He blows a whole lotta steam, but he's a big ol softie lmao.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My brain is melting from the awful, stop this everyone

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Having met Pauly D I can confirm that he is a loving douchebag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

L&O did it twice, once on SVU with a rape case of a college professor and a student and then again on CI where they let people decide whether or not a bad guy lived.

Hawaii Five-0 did an ep where the whole plot was decided by an internet poll before it aired and the ending was decided by voting while the ep was airing. It's not a great concept because the mystery has to be crafted so that any of 3 endings could have occurred so the whole thing becomes a bit arbitrary.