Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

I like long plot arcs over MotW procedurals.

I generally agree, but one specific exception for me is X-Files. I've always maintained that the best episodes of the X-Files are the MotW ones. The plot arc is straight garbage, always has been.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lelandjs posted:

I generally agree, but one specific exception for me is X-Files. I've always maintained that the best episodes of the X-Files are the MotW ones. The plot arc is straight garbage, always has been.

Supernatural as well. It has some great one-off / MOTW episodes, but ever since the show continued past the original five-season arc, they've been struggling for almost a decade to raise the stakes past "the literal end-of-times apocalypse" and it's almost invariably been poo poo. (Coincidentally, the two shows have shared some actors / writers.)

I think plot arcs have their place, specifically in stories that have been fully planned out in advance or else it's almost always a disaster, and MOTWs have their place for short self-contained stories involving the same characters encountering a variety of enemies / situations. It doesn't need to be all one or the other, and either one can be superior to the other depending on the circumstances and the writing.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 23, 2018

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Agents of Shield is TVIV's #10 show of 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

I should have said I'd also like it to be a good show

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Not to mention the only reason the X-Files got an arc was because Gillian Anderson got prenant

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Holy poo poo.

We watched the first two episodes of Banshee on Amazon Prime last night.

Holy. poo poo.

It reminds me a lot of Justified (which we both love), but more "extreme"... in a good way.

Does the quality stay this good?

It looks like only the first two seasons are available for free streaming, which is unfortunate.

Seasons 1-3 are great and have some of the best action scenes I have seen in a tv show.

Season 4 is bad.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I like season-long plot arcs and one-off episodes, but I think the main issue I have with the more drawn out plots is that a lot of American shows are too drat long. There aren’t a whole lot of shows I can name that absolutely need a 22 episode season. So obviously writers are going to struggle to fill out so many episodes with the major plot arc. Then if they do use an episode or two to tell a one-off story people get mad that they’re focusing on stuff no one cares about instead of the main story.

Fortunately, it seems like a lot more shows are doing shorter seasons these days or they’re anthology-type shows. I’ve also been watching a lot of Twilight Zone on Netflix and it rules. It is really nice to just be able to pick out a random episode and watch it, instead of having to watch dozens of hours to catch up on something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Are there that many anthology shows? The only one I can think of off the top of my head besides Black Mirror and Electric Dreams, which are both pretty mediocre, is Inside No. 9, which I just found out about a few weeks ago and is pretty great from the few episodes I've seen so far.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I was thinking Black Mirror as well as stuff like American Crime Story where the seasons are self-contained.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

Agents of Shield is TVIV's #10 show of 2017

lol

edit: good shows with smaller arcs might include Angel (Buffy to a much lesser extent), Red Riding, Alias (aka cliffhanger city), and some of the better Law and Orders, and Farscape.

edit 2: American Horror Story Season 2 is a goddamn classic

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 23, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
my mum was like “hey watch whatever you want” and I noticed my dad had the season premiere of High Maintenence so I put it on and then there was a very explicit threesome montage

also it was a pretty good episode but I prefer the ones that focus on one or two stories instead of hopping around

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lelandjs posted:

I feel like the X-Files is a special case because at some point the arc just becomes a nonsensical mess, and I'm sure someone here will point out that it was always that way. But I actually really enjoyed all the shady conspiracy stuff in smoke-filled rooms until, like, the first movie. At the same time of course, some of the top episodes ever were MotW.

Fenris13 posted:

The UK seasons of Strike Back do this pretty well,the first season was two episode arcs, but each episode was 90ish minutes. This new season is 2 5 episode arcs and the first one was pretty good.
Speaking of Strike Back, this was the show I wanted to watch but I couldn't remember the exact name and ended up watching Strike instead. It was... ok, but not at all what I expected.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

raditts posted:

Are there that many anthology shows? The only one I can think of off the top of my head besides Black Mirror and Electric Dreams, which are both pretty mediocre, is Inside No. 9, which I just found out about a few weeks ago and is pretty great from the few episodes I've seen so far.

Feud

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Longmire did a good job of balancing case of the week with the overarching plot stuff pretty well. The first two Netflix seasons moved to having some 2-3 episode cases too, which I liked. Still haven’t seen the final season since I got distracted with a lot of other stuff but I’m hoping to get to it when I’m in the right mood for it.

Been watching Legion and the Orville on Hulu the past few days. You guys were right when you said I’d like the Orville. It has the stuff that makes me want to like Trek, but with more of a sense of fun and a faster pacing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If raditts is asking for ones where every episode is different I guess Feud and AHS and stuff don’t count

High Maintenence and Easy both half-count I guess? They have kinda-recurring characters but are mostly self-contained episodic stories

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mobby_6kl posted:

I feel like the X-Files is a special case because at some point the arc just becomes a nonsensical mess, and I'm sure someone here will point out that it was always that way. But I actually really enjoyed all the shady conspiracy stuff in smoke-filled rooms until, like, the first movie. At the same time of course, some of the top episodes ever were MotW.

I think the reason that the X-Files got away with it's arc so long is because it was always thwarted by their superiors. Mulder gets close to learning something and Skinner bureaucracies it out of the way. A few episodes later Cancer Man just shows up and hides it.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Escobarbarian posted:

my mum was like “hey watch whatever you want” and I noticed my dad had the season premiere of High Maintenence so I put it on and then there was a very explicit threesome montage

also it was a pretty good episode but I prefer the ones that focus on one or two stories instead of hopping around

This reminds me, please don't watch The Deuce with your mom like I did.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually turned around on that episode after the final scene which brought it together in a really great way

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

raditts posted:

Amazon also has Lore and Hulu has Dimension 404.

Neither are Earth shattering amazing, but I enjoyed both well enough.

Hulu, I believe, is supposed to have a horror anthology at some point and All Access is doing their Twilight Zone reboot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

22-24 episode seasons kill any chance of good arcs, so I just watch sitcoms on network and leave dramas to movies and cable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its starting to become more common for the 24 episode network shows to split their seasons themselves into 2 12 episode plots. It isn't the case all the time and a lot still just do a big dramatic cliffhanger for Winter finales. But I feel like they're inching towards having two unique antagonists and plots a season. That's a lot easier to digest, and I suspect a lot easier to manage as filmmakers. Agents of SHIELD has done a good job with that the last few years, even going into 8 episode thirds last year.

Of course there's still a lot of "filler" a lot of time and a lot of shows just really drag out the one plot and just have a dramatic Act 2 moment at the half way point or something. But it works sometimes, and "filler" can be fun as described with shows like X-Files and Supernatural.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

I like long plot arcs over MotW procedurals.

Unless the show is Breaking Bad or The Wire or on that level I really disagree. And even those shows knew that an episode must stand on its own first and advance the story second.

lelandjs posted:

I think it’s more that shows like Lost, 24, The Sopranos, and The Wire, as well as the rise of binging such plot-heavy shows, showed that younger audiences want season long plot arcs.

I think people want them because it inherently creates cliffhangers and connectiveness and theorizing, not because it actually makes the show better. People enjoy wondering what's going to happen next more than they enjoy things that are happening on screen now.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 23, 2018

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Feeling too lovely to do anything this week but watch tv/movies, anything aside from Ozark come out in the past year or so that's on on Netflix that's really good?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Zerilan posted:

Feeling too lovely to do anything this week but watch tv/movies, anything aside from Ozark come out in the past year or so that's on on Netflix that's really good?

American Vandal!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Popelmon posted:

American Vandal!

Stranger Things S2
Godless
Castlevania (only 4 episodes, a fun watch)
Longmire
Bloodline
Black Mirror
The Crown
Travelers
Punisher (waaaay different then you'd expect from the trailer, more slow burn then shoot outs every episode)
Mindhunter
Frontier (Jason Momoa as a hard rear end frontier hunter fighting a terrorist war against the Hudson Bay Company)
White Gold

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Popelmon posted:

American Vandal!

this is the correct answer. You will not believe how compelling the question "Who drew the dicks?" will become.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zerilan posted:

Nthing American Vandal, absolutely incredible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I binged American Vandal with a friend and not only did we laugh our asses off, we were legit on the edge of our seat with suspense at the end of every episode. It's so good.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

I've always maintained that the best episodes of the X-Files are the MotW ones. The plot arc is straight garbage, always has been.

I don't think there is anyone on this planet not named Chris Carter that doesn't think that.

raditts posted:

Room 104, American Crime Story, American Horror Story, Fargo, True Detective, High Maintenance, Feud are all ones I've watched in the last couple of years.

Isn't Unsolved Mysteries coming back with some big name director attached?

There is an Australian Crime Drama in the vein of ACS called Underbelly that is a fun watch (the quality can vary season to season based on the story they choose). The upcoming season is a Chopper Read one which might be fun.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Holy poo poo I just found out that Wentworth Miller aka Captain Cold aka Leonard Snart aka that Prison Break dude wrote Stoker? WTF!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The bigger WTF! is that it was directed by a guy that doesn't speak English

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just finished all of Hannibal in a month and I’m already jonesing for something similar. I had planned on watching American Gods, but I’m not sure there’s much of a point now that Fuller and some of the cast have bailed. FWIW, I’ve read and enjoyed the original book. Thoughts?

Also, Baskets is fantastic and Louie Anderson deserves all the Emmys for his portrayal of Ms. Baskets. I honestly forget he’s a man in a wig sometimes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

remusclaw posted:

I love you, you love me, now approaching hour three.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Also, Baskets is fantastic and Louie Anderson deserves all the Emmys for his portrayal of Ms. Baskets. I honestly forget he’s a man in a wig sometimes.

That performance is one of the most human things on television, especially in season 2 with the romance plot. The Mattress King was amazing.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

precision posted:

That performance is one of the most human things on television, especially in season 2 with the romance plot. The Mattress King was amazing.

Louie Anderson as Christine is seriously one of the sweetest portrayals of a mom I’ve seen on tv in a really long time. The hospital episode from season one was honestly really touching, and not something I expected from a show whose premise is ‘Zach Galifinakis is a failed clown working in a rodeo and his mom is played by Louie Anderson in drag’

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah and with season 3 being Christine takes over the rodeo i'm psyched as.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

From what I remember: skip the MMA fighter episode and the episode with Hood's prison flashbacks (and the latter MIGHT be okay given no actual rape happens and dick-biting happens instead). Otherwise, you're clear.

nate fisher posted:

I would skip ahead on the MMA fighter one to the actual fight, because Christ what a fight.

am0kgonzo posted:

Seasons 1-3 are great and have some of the best action scenes I have seen in a tv show.

Season 4 is bad.

The MMA fighter was episode 3. We watched it tonight, and I really appreciate the heads-up. I thought the victim was going to be the slutty Amish girl at the bar, but as soon as that poor cocktail waitress went into the fighter's trailer, I knew what would happen, and I fast-forwarded to spare my wife seeing it. Watching the brutal fight that followed was so cathartic. It was one of the most brutal and violent fights I've ever seen, up there with the fight between Dan Dority and Mr. Hearst's man on Deadwood. I can't think of much else that would even come close.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love that scene, it tells us so much about Hood's character and it's the most violent and bloody fist fight I could recall seeing at the time it aired.

YOU LIKE HITTIN LITTLE GIRLS????

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Mick was on fire tonight.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The MMA fighter was episode 3. We watched it tonight, and I really appreciate the heads-up. I thought the victim was going to be the slutty Amish girl at the bar, but as soon as that poor cocktail waitress went into the fighter's trailer, I knew what would happen, and I fast-forwarded to spare my wife seeing it. Watching the brutal fight that followed was so cathartic. It was one of the most brutal and violent fights I've ever seen, up there with the fight between Dan Dority and Mr. Hearst's man on Deadwood. I can't think of much else that would even come close.

Dude, this show gets loving VICIOUS. Wait until you see some of the fights and set-pieces it has in store.

One note: Every bad guy in Season 1 perpetrates a sexual assault of some kind and it’s always avenged by Hood. They knock it off in Season 2 (and even show awareness by bringing the trope back for an episode only to invert it a bit), but it might start to gently caress with your wife after a while.

In fact, there’s another near-rape in Episode 5 (it starts with a biker gang riding into town); the victim gets rescued at the last second but it might come close enough to pull the trigger, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hood vs the biker gang is insane.

Everyone go watch Banshee.