Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RBA Starblade posted:

My wife really liked Sherlock until she rewatched it (it was my first time looking at it). It's pretty bad but I got a good laugh out of Sherlock's master genius solution to the one bad guy also having a "mind palace" being to just shoot him in the face.

It's a pretty good solution

That was the highlight of the show, let's be honest

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

So am I the only goon still watching Shameless? There hasn't been a thread this year.

Nope! I'm still watching. This season is perfectly fine, but kind of unremarkable. Seems to have picked up in the last couple of episodes (haven't seen the latest yet). I like that not everything is not super poo poo for everyone at the moment. I hope this is the last season too. I really want this to be the end for each character:

-Karl joins West Point and becomes a super soldier
-Fiona gets burned and gets bought down a couple of pegs. I don't want her destitute but i'd like her to not be a know-it-all that forgets her roots.
-Lip stays sober
-Ian takes medication
-Debbie becomes responsible, listens to sound advice people give her and finds he niche
-Frank dies
-Liam gets adopted by a rich, kind family and goes on to live a successful life.
-Kev and V keep doing what they doing but manage to get some sleep.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
It's been renewed for at least one more season with no Fiona or Ian.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone watching A Discovery of Witches?

It's loving gorgeous, the sets, the locations, obviously most of the cast.
The story i could give a gently caress about at this point, i just wanna see some magic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AV Club review of the full first season of Sabrina (B+) They also gave Charmed an A-, seems like it's a good year for rebooted witch shows.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

AV Club review of the full first season of Sabrina (B+) They also gave Charmed an A-, seems like it's a good year for rebooted witch shows.

No Shannon Dougherty or Busty St. Claire. Epic fail/10

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's surprising since word on the pilot seemed to be universally bad.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

That's surprising since word on the pilot seemed to be universally bad.

The monster guy was cool, my jaw is sore from all the feminist stuff jammed down my throat.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh good, now that people are actually talking about Charmed I guess I can repost what I wrote a few pages ago:

Argue posted:

The trailers weren't doing anything for me, but the Charmed reboot was pretty okay, coming from someone who wasn't the biggest fan of the original. The showrunner is Jennie Snyder Urman, who runs Jane the Virgin, so she's earned herself a lot of goodwill and trust from me towards this show.

I appreciated that they explicitly avoided the memory wipe trope that I hate so much in shows and films about strange things living among our midst, but I don't know if they'll keep that up for everyone or just for this one case.

I also liked that the first demon they encountered was defeated with science instead of magic; I was really worried they were gonna go the route of "haha science is nothing compared to magic", or do what the old show did every week and just pull a spell out of nowhere that specifically defeats the demon--which, granted, they did end up doing with the last demon. Hopefully not all episodes will have climaxes that consist of the three of them just reciting random words for two minutes.

Also this show is gonna make the whiny gamergaters real mad because based on the first episode it looks like it's gonna go all in on social issues, even moreso than with JtV; it might have been a bit on the nose but I don't care, at this point it's probably important to be.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Witches and female empowerment themes, who could've seen this coming, I mean besides the Christian church starting in the third century

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They could of been a little less ham-fisted about it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

The monster guy was cool, my jaw is sore from all the feminist stuff jammed down my throat.

What makes you say this?

I haven't seen the show, just wondering.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The villain of the week turns out to be the professor who was reinstated after being cleared of sexual harassment charges, and who also turns out to be a demon that gains power by taking the strength of women. An rear end in a top hat mortal who was defending said professor earlier is witness to his defeat, and the sisters tell their whitelighter not to wipe his memory, turning his words against him "who's going to believe him? It's a he-said-she-said situation". It's silly but I think it's fine; I think there are probably people who need things spelled out for them, and Jane the Virgin's never shied away from this kind of thing either and it's great.

Edit: also I mentioned earlier I really hate memory wipes so I really hope the sisters continue to disallow their whitelighter from casting his gaslighting magic on mortal witnesses.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rocksicles posted:

They could of been a little less ham-fisted about it.

Ham-fisted politics, on a CW show? :monocle:

e: my biggest concern about the Veronica Mars revival has been answered
https://twitter.com/RobThomas/status/1052199847799877632

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

Ham-fisted politics, on a CW show? :monocle:

e: my biggest concern about the Veronica Mars revival has been answered
https://twitter.com/RobThomas/status/1052199847799877632

Proof of God.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Given that Charmed aired just after an episode of Supergirl where a human-passing alien refused to believe alien hatred existed because she hadn't seen it, sounds about par for the course. These shows are not subtle.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I feel like the only CW shows that don't lean hard into social issues are iZombie (which inherently is about discrimination at this point anyway lmbo), The 100, and Riverdale, which has had its attempts at tackling social issues and some of those early episodes ended up being p bad so they just went all in on making the show ridiculous all the time instead.

I guess stuff like Supernatural and whatever remains of Vampire Diaries and its spinoffs maybe don't lean into them but idk I never watched 'em.

e: also it's cool if new Charmed is good but I'll prob never watch it, myself. I never cared much for the concept of the show, for me it was just a vehicle for Alyssa Milano's hair and outfits and some ridiculous camp. It's definitely a show that was so bad there's basically nowhere to go but up in remaking it lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Originals didn't beat you over the head with it, but there were quite a few gay characters.

The least subtle they were about it was when a vampire had a relationship with a werewolf. People on the show had issues with the two species being together, the fact that they were both guys wasn't even mentioned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am not feeling the CW shows at all this year. What the hell happened to me?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

I am not feeling the CW shows at all this year. What the hell happened to me?

YOu turned 30?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm not sure I would personally count gay characters as a social issue CW really 'tackles' any more. They've been a fairly progressive channel for LGBT representation for a long while now. In fact, it's weird when a CW show doesn't have a gay character or three. Which I'm suddenly realizing iZombie hasn't ever really had one.

Weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Iron Crowned posted:

YOu turned 30?

40 in a few months.

My favorite comic book inspired show is Agents of Shield. I am clearly very ill.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not liking bad shows for tweens anymore is the opposite of having something wrong with you

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Not liking bad shows for tweens anymore is the opposite of having something wrong with you

Riverdale is the best show ever.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

40 in a few months.

My favorite comic book inspired show is Agents of Shield. I am clearly very ill.

Rhyno posted:

Riverdale is the best show ever.

WELL WHICH IS IT MR. FLIP FLOP

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Riverdale is a strange unicorn. Somehow the most CW show and least CW show ever, all rolled into one.

I really love how much it just takes the piss out of CW's trashy teen drama staples.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

WELL WHICH IS IT MR. FLIP FLOP

I CLEARLY SAID RIVERDALE IS THE BEST SHOW PERIOD

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Riverdale season 1 was so good but 2 killed my interest completely. I think I made it almost three-quarters of the way through but man they seemingly lost all sense of what made it interesting

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

Riverdale season 1 was so good but 2 killed my interest completely. I think I made it almost three-quarters of the way through but man they seemingly lost all sense of what made it interesting

I agree that season 2 was weaker, but I think it was less the content and more the length. They really had to stretch some poo poo out and I think the show suffered for that. There was still ridiculous poo poo being thrown at the wall every week, but the overarching plots dragged. It should have remained a short season show ala iZombie and The 100, imo, but it's far too popular for CW to get away with that.

Also the musical episode was loving terrible and stopped me from watching the rest of the season 'til after it ended lmao. The plot of the episode was good but I could barely get through actually watching it. That ending of it tho.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

esperterra posted:

e: also it's cool if new Charmed is good but I'll prob never watch it, myself. I never cared much for the concept of the show, for me it was just a vehicle for Alyssa Milano's hair and outfits and some ridiculous camp. It's definitely a show that was so bad there's basically nowhere to go but up in remaking it lol

Yeah, like, didn't loads of the adverts for episodes of the original series literally turn on what the cast was wearing that week?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Season 2 has the Cheryl/Toni mega kiss that prompted me to my feet and got me to yell "HELL YEAH!" at my tv.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, like, didn't loads of the adverts for episodes of the original series literally turn on what the cast was wearing that week?

Would not be surprised at all. Milano's ever changing hair and fashion was definitely a selling point of the show, from what I remember, she was def a bit of a style icon for girls at the time.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The original was produced by Aaron Spelling, so attractive people in attractive outfits is par the course.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The original was produced by Aaron Spelling, so attractive people in attractive outfits is par the course.

That's why I wanted to like Charmed during the first run, but it never stuck for me.

Hot witches, what more could 17 year old me want out of TV? Apparently it was a lot more :negative:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

WITCHES + 6 NIPPLES = CHARMED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7KfXfBqLkg

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

God I miss MADtv.

e: lmfao that tori jab A+

esperterra fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 16, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Charmed was really hurt by running at exactly the same time as Buffy which did women with supernatural powers so much better it highlighted how ridiculous everything in Charmed was

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I don't know if I would say Charmed was necessarily hurt by that, it ran longer than Buffy did and was ridiculously popular despite not being a very good tv show.

e: tho if you mean content wise yeah lmbo buffy certainly ran circles around it. but i don't think many people were looking to charmed for good writing tbf. i certainly wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only person here who expects good writing in everything I watch cos that statement comes up WAY too often