Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Did Narcos get its production team rotated or something? Narcos: Mexico is way better than the last season was.

Cali cartel isn't nearly as interesting as the Mexican drug war from a narrative perspective. The Escobar story had a natural narrative arc, rise - dominance - fall. Also they basically promoted a whole slate of background characters to main cast for season 3. So going from Wagner Moura to the B-team, going back to a cast featuring Luis Pena and Diego Luna is going to be a big step up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nobody commenting on the new Narcos show? The problem with having kiki as the lead is anyone who watched like the first few episodes of the first season already knows how this ends :(

Pretty much this. Pretty interested in seeing how they're gonna play it out though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Deutschland '86 finished it's new season last night and it was pretty good. I just hope I don't have to wait another 3 years for Deutschland '89.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Big Mouth was renewed for season 3.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
for people with netflix that like westerns and the coen brothers i can't recommend the ballad of buster scruggs enough, just watched it and it was amazing

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Luvcow posted:

for people with netflix that like westerns and the coen brothers i can't recommend the ballad of buster scruggs enough, just watched it and it was amazing

I couldn't stop laughing at the 1st story. Just a perfect thing for me to watch after finishing RDR2

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh my god. I can't believe they went there on room 104

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Luvcow posted:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love Westerns, the Coen Brothers, and especially Tom Waits, so here's +1 for Buster Scruggs. After the first part felt like a cross between The Three Amigos and Deadpool, the rest of the movie was far more gut-wrenching and filled with existential dread, but I still highly recommend it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno, I thought the Dudley Dursley one was just grim. I was pretty happy with the others, but man.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t really like the last two stories at all other than the showdown between Mr. Arthur and the Natives in the fifth one, and the Franco one is sorta too thin, but the other three are great

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Luvcow posted:

I'm mayyyyybe 10 minutes in, he just shot the guy using the mirror. This is like a masterclass in how to IMMEDIATELY endear your audience to a character. I loving love his guy already.

EDIT: well i think everybody who's watched knows why this edit is here: lol

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 18, 2018

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Finished Narcos: Mexico last night. Really good overall, and they actually did a really great job bringing back Pablo and his crew as well as the Cali crew to show how the Mexican cartels got into cocaine trafficking.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I personally taught that particular part was tad gratuitous, but I guess there was no getting around it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone watch Forever? I didn't see a thread. Really amazing season of tv imo, it reminded me of a good novella

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't think it ever got a thread but it was definitely one of my favorite shows of the year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone check out Origin on Youtube yet

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it’s so weird to see something you’ve never heard of that only came out a few years ago be spoken about as if it was this huge mainstream sensation when you were paying attention at the time and know for sure it wasn’t

- me, after reading a bunch of reviews of the my brilliant friend adaptation

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Haven't seen Simpsons seasons in full since I was young when it was on during syndication. Earlier this year I bought seasons 1-9 and after watching the show every day syndicated for about 5 years from 1995 to 2000 or so, I really missed it and wanted to collect and revisit the golden years. When they came out on DVD I stopped watching past three because of expense. I just finished season 4 and I'm in the middle of 5. I'm finding 5 considerably worse than 4 so far, which was the best and most memorable of all the seasons for me.

I struggled to remember some of the details of season 5 episodes and now I know why: the series quality takes a noticeable change during 5. A lot of us Simpsons fans like to complain about how Homer went from lovable and well meaning idiot who loves his family to absolute mentally handicapped rear end in a top hat. Yet this happens in the middle of what many call the golden years of The Simpsons - season 5. In the episode Marge on the Lam many gags revolve around Homer - how he has a power sander from Flanders and is using it on the house carpet, getting his hands stuck in a soda machine, him having science experiments done on him which reduce him to giggling heavy. He's a big child in this episode, and when Marge makes a friend in Ruth he becomes a jealous, vindictive rear end in a top hat about it. Later in the season in Boy Scoutz N The Hood he not only tries to talk Bart out of asking him to go on a father-son raft trip, he eats all of their food rations, and wastes their water after getting them stranded at sea. Homer was always an idiot but not this bad. And he wasn't rear end in a top hat to the point of eating the last of rations or wasting water either. People say the Simpsons start to decline in season 8 or so, but the cracks are already to form. Marge on the Lam was a terrible episode to me that smelled of later Simpsons, yet here it is in what is dubbed a golden age season.

Also, whenever I watch new Simpsons episodes I always hate how it'll start with something completely irrelevant and it'll eventually turn into a completely different story. What disappoints me watching these later golden age episodes is that they do the same exact poo poo. It's not even A plot or B plot shenanigans, it's completely unrelated actions leading to something different. For example, in one episode Homer gets a free trampoline from Krusty, uses it to sell neighborhood kids into paying to jump on it, which gets them all injured. This leads into Marge nagging and then realizing that she nags, which turns the entire story into about self help cultism and a scathing critique on hyper individuality. On another, in the aforementioned Boy Scoutz N The Hood Bart and Milhouse buy a super squishee with nothing syrup and go on a binge, to which Bart awakens to have joined the boy scouts. In this episode, the random lead in story works but it doesn't always work for me. I find myself more charmed by episodes like Rosebud, Brothers From The Same Planet, Last Exit To Springfield, or Life on the Fast Lane. That generally have endings that are related to the beginnings. And while funny, there's lots of "remember the time when...?" moments that feel Family Guy esque.

Basically, rewatching classic Simpsons has made me put them on a lower pedastal than before. It's still fantastic, it's still great, but not perfect, and has its own flaws and excesses. While I'm still loving it and I'm catching things I never thought of or noticed when I watched it as a child, I'm finding Seinfeld to be to be the better show to be honest. And The Critic. I'm also realizing that I seem one of the few people that prefers seasons 1-4 than later Simpsons. It's more grounded. Season 5 and up seem to be more zany and surreal which doesn't appeal to me as much.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

it’s so weird to see something you’ve never heard of that only came out a few years ago be spoken about as if it was this huge mainstream sensation when you were paying attention at the time and know for sure it wasn’t

- me, after reading a bunch of reviews of the my brilliant friend adaptation

It really was...among the type of people that read literary fiction. Which isn't mainstream but does include the types of people critics are, know, or aspire to be.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

whowhatwhere posted:

It really was...among the type of people that read literary fiction. Which isn't mainstream but does include the types of people critics are, know, or aspire to be.

yeah this is my thing, if they said “in literary fields” it would make perfect sense but I’ve seen multiple articles talking about how everyone read these books and how they were a sensation in a way that’s usually only for YA genre stuff and it’s just so obviously wrong to anyone with any perspective

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: app fuckup

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So Netflix's "Dogs" had me crying before the opening credits of the first episode

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I don’t know what to think about Simpsons season 5. I think there’s real lows but also some amazing highs. Last Temptation of Homer was S+ Simpsons.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Honestly the rambling first acts used to be a plus. The idea that you weren’t sure where this was going, even in reruns, it was fun.

It’s just that they also started forgetting how to end stories and generally let plotting go to poo poo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:wtc: have I seen the last two weeks before Last Week... :nms:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Looten Plunder posted:

So Netflix's "Dogs" had me crying before the opening credits of the first episode
Personally, I feel opening every episode with a montage of dogs being shot in the head was in poor taste.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Himuro posted:

I'm also realizing that I seem one of the few people that prefers seasons 1-4 than later Simpsons. It's more grounded. Season 5 and up seem to be more zany and surreal which doesn't appeal to me as much.

I’m probably the same, and I definitely have more affection for Season 1 than a lot of people do. It’s super rough in places and it could just be nostalgia, but there’s a lot to love there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sorry if this has already been posted.

https://twitter.com/frankiemuniz/status/1063066289151692802

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Is the cat okay?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
He just doesn't want us to know he adopted a bear from Darkest Peru.

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Things I would have never expected in 2018: a Julia Davis power-hour on HBO Sunday primetime.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Life is unfair

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wow, how airtight is his house to build up 3 feet of water from a single tap?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Joe Pesci at it again

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Can someone translate this post for me please

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

zoux posted:

Cali cartel isn't nearly as interesting as the Mexican drug war from a narrative perspective. The Escobar story had a natural narrative arc, rise - dominance - fall.

They still kinda botched it IMO, regardless of the actual real-life story.

They went too far in making Cali seem non-threatening, the main guy got captured too early and was too delusional and jovial, whereas his brother was too incompetent and weak.

Pacho, who was charismatic, wasn't involved enough in the main plot. Chepe was a completely superfluous character.

The two DEA guys weren't given enough to do either and Peña didn't really work as a 'boss.'

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Himuro posted:

Basically, rewatching classic Simpsons has made me put them on a lower pedastal than before. It's still fantastic, it's still great, but not perfect, and has its own flaws and excesses. While I'm still loving it and I'm catching things I never thought of or noticed when I watched it as a child, I'm finding Seinfeld to be to be the better show to be honest. And The Critic. I'm also realizing that I seem one of the few people that prefers seasons 1-4 than later Simpsons. It's more grounded. Season 5 and up seem to be more zany and surreal which doesn't appeal to me as much.

I don't disagree, but I have a different takeaway - modern simpsons isn't really as bad as everyone likes to say it is and is still pretty ok as TV goes now. That being said, it's still bad in comparison, but the golden age seasons are even better now that I get some of the political/etc jokes that were over my head before.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

IRQ posted:

I don't disagree, but I have a different takeaway - modern simpsons isn't really as bad as everyone likes to say it is and is still pretty ok as TV goes now. That being said, it's still bad in comparison, but the golden age seasons are even better now that I get some of the political/etc jokes that were over my head before.

No, modern Simpsons is terrible. It might not be the worst show in the world, but there's no reason for it to still be around, as you can pick out over two dozen smarter, funnier, more engaging and heartfelt comedies at fuckin random, both animated and non-animated. The difference is that in its prime, Simpsons was the top of the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8M2tg2RkIQ

Just look at this poo poo. There's no way you can pass this off as some clever, ironic anti-comedy or something, it just blows rear end.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that’s one of the worst things I’ve ever seen and I can’t believe Simpsons is peddling that point of view