Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Decided to rewatch always sunny in Philadelphia for the fourth time. All time top 10 show for anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’ve heard good (read: batshit insane) things about Legends of Tomorrow, so I decided to jump in despite having no knowledge or interest in the CW DC universe.

It seems kinda terrible so far, but I’ve read that it doesn’t get good until season 2. Can I just skip to season 2, or will I be completely lost? Is there some summary video I can watch? Should I even do this?

The writers of season 1 expected you to take seriously the objective of assassinating an immortal in three different time periods simultaneously. The writers of season 2 onwards would have something just as absurd but play it for comedy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:siren: Important Announcement :siren:

There's now less than a week to get your lists in for this year's TVIV Top 10 Poll of the Year thread! :supaburn:

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Re: Legends of Tomorrow:

If you find yourself doubting if you should continue watching, at least watch this video and decide afterwards:

:siren:MASSIVE SPOILER WARNING FOR END OF SEASON 3!!!:siren:
Only click if you don't care or plan on not continuing watching!

https://youtu.be/WAIw3_NZ77M

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thank you, bou, for validating my choice not to watch that terrible looking show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What in the gently caress was that

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Escobarbarian posted:

That was the final boss fight against the season 3 big bad.

The monster got big; so they had to form Beebo-Megazord

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Lord Bude posted:

That was the final boss fight against the season 3 big bad.

The monster got big; so they had to form Beebo-Megazord

What? completely out of context? That's like just telling someone a punchline and no joke.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
New Black Mirror ep tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0xWpBYlNM

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Escobarbarian posted:

Beebo is like the tickle me Elmo of the LoT universe. It shows up in the background as a toy doll every so often. So when some sort of Satan was revealed as the seasons ultimate bad guy, the heroes assembled the legally distinct definitely not infinity stones and summoned an anti-satan from their hearts.

Super excited to see how they pull this off. For those that don't know, the rumor is they shot 300+ minutes, 5 or so hours of footage for this, and it'll be Netflix’s first attempt at a choose your own adventure story.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 27, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've only watched half an episode of Black Mirror, but that looks dope. Basically Ready Player One but not awful and cloying.

bring back old gbs posted:

Beebo is like the tickle me Elmo of the LoT universe. It shows up in the background as a toy doll every so often. So when some sort of Satan was revealed as the seasons ultimate bad guy, the heroes assembled the legally distinct definitely not infinity stones and summoned an anti-satan from their hearts.

So just Ghostbusters, but worse and with a gratuitous fight scene?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoT is amazing and is the high bar by which all comic books shows will someday be measured.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Basically after season 1 the show turned into a ton of fun. It's not some loving high brow TV where it will win awards and make you cry, but it's fun TV which I've been missing.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

bring back old gbs posted:

Super excited to see how they pull this off. For those that don't know, the rumor is they shot 300+ minutes, 5 or so hours of footage for this, and it'll be Netflix’s first attempt at a choose your own adventure story.

Strictly speaking there is the Minecraft show which I don't know how it works mechanistically but when I started it was very choose your own adventure and seemed to remember at least some choices from episode to episode.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That's a port of the Telltale Minecraft game. I haven't played that one but the pattern for their games is that it gives you the illusion of choice but by and large you go through all the same plot beats no matter what you choose, so it's really more of a customized experience than a true CYOA.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I still miss Snart, no matter how amazing Legends of Tomorrow has become since he was a cast member in Season 1. He's my favorite character in the whole drat Arrowverse, but at least my two runner-up favorites are also on Legends now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Laterite posted:

I'd say the Jonah Hex episode (S1E11) is worth watching, as are the last 2 episodes of the season (15&16). IIRC the Jonah Hex one was sort of the first time they start leaning into the "Time Idiots" self-awareness.

Yeah, if you're a big enough comic fan there's a lot of fun easter eggs and characters like Jonah Hex, Connor Hawke, Degan, etc in S1. Honestly, I don't think S1 is nearly as bad as people say. Don't get me wrong, its not good. Like I said, the main plot sucks and the main characters are drags and that's a tough sell. But a lot of what people love about Legends is there and if you just don't get too worked up about it and know that it gets better and finds itself as it goes then its fine.

Basically, watch a few episodes and ask yourself this question. Do you hate the Hawks and Savage and their story? Do you like some of the rest of the idiots and the time and comic hijinks? Then you'll be fine continuing. It will payoff.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There was a one-off joke a few episodes ago where Brandon Routh grew a mustache and it made everything worse.

The actor who once played Superman....grew a mustache...and screwed everything up.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t90ptFyjrY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ehoPo1Vh84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CehO3_lvMdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfgoGJ6wQgE

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Someone watched Smile Time too many times

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Also, Caity Lotz is perfect and I will brook no argument otherwise.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, if you're a big enough comic fan there's a lot of fun easter eggs and characters like Jonah Hex, Connor Hawke, Degan, etc in S1. Honestly, I don't think S1 is nearly as bad as people say. Don't get me wrong, its not good. Like I said, the main plot sucks and the main characters are drags and that's a tough sell. But a lot of what people love about Legends is there and if you just don't get too worked up about it and know that it gets better and finds itself as it goes then its fine.

Basically, watch a few episodes and ask yourself this question. Do you hate the Hawks and Savage and their story? Do you like some of the rest of the idiots and the time and comic hijinks? Then you'll be fine continuing. It will payoff.

Yeah, looking back through the episode summaries I started remembering other fun and/or crazy moments from that season, it's just that there was so much awful with the Hawk people and Savage that dragged it down. I also watched it in mini-binges off my DVR so the fun stuff did stick with me a little more. I could definitely see where someone watching from week to week would get frustrated and check out after a few episodes.

E: And actually, even Savage wasn't so bad by the end. The actor (and/or the writers) seemed to get more of a handle on what he was all about, and how ridiculous the whole thing was. The one where he and Kendra were in the '50s was fairly decent.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 27, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Argue posted:

That's a port of the Telltale Minecraft game. I haven't played that one but the pattern for their games is that it gives you the illusion of choice but by and large you go through all the same plot beats no matter what you choose, so it's really more of a customized experience than a true CYOA.

Not really? Most CYOA books are just one true narrative, a few much shorter possible divergences from that main path, and a bunch of instant deaths. Telltale games were about as reactive as long narrative-driven games get, aside from the linearity caused by them being episodic titles they were up there with games like Alpha Protocol in terms of having the same few major plot beats and set pieces but a ton of variance in the characters and reactions when they were at their best.

I think that's just an inherent problem that interaxtive stories are going to have so long as people have these unrealistic expectations, if they have a ton of variance then they're going to have to be very short due to the resources increasing exponentially with every major divergence and if they're longer stories with major consequences for decisions then inevitably you're going to have a bunch of people who have a bad experience because they made the "wrong" choices.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
AHS Cult is so good oh my god

Lena Dunham was born to play Valerie Solanis

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh hey, Angie Tribeca is back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfZv1pvWldE

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
gently caress yes! Disappointed there was no Geils in the trailer though, is he no longer in the show?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are there any good TV watching apps? TV Time seems pretty cool, but it's going to take forever to go through and individually click each show I've watched already

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

loving finally

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wonder how lot will be seen in a decade

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Calaveron posted:

Wonder how lot will be seen in a decade

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Huh I thought it was finished for sure.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

precision posted:

AHS Cult is so good oh my god

Lena Dunham was born to play Valerie Solanis

and no one else

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

McSpanky posted:

and no one else

She's also great in Girls but is also basically playing herself cranked to 11 so idk if that counts

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Lena Dunham is interesting because she was gifted the easiest path to success and managed to be horrible enough to have everyone have issues with her. And then she continued to get jobs.

What a loving blessed life.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah having your first movie you directed when you were like 23 go into the Criterion Collection must have been sweet. That's like Paul Thomas Anderson level of skill.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Edit: wrong thread

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Lena Dunhan owns purely for how merely mentioning her in passing makes a bunch of dudes materialize to holler the same tired talking points about nepotism and how fat/ugly/annoying she is. That kind of dedication to putting a female in her place is usually limited to videogames and comic books, not Criterion Collection filmmakers.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lena Dunham is an actual trash person tho and I feel it's a p even split of men and women dunking on her, tbf.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

One time I tried to watch Girls and didn't like it at all and beyond that I have no idea who Lena Dunham is other than she pisses people off and some poo poo about her sister maybe?

Now, generally I'm a fan of someone who pisses off the internet like that, but I also just heard she's a trash person.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She defended some sexual predator guy and attacked the victim and later admitted she was wrong. I think she also molested her little sister and wrote about it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/NetflixFilm/status/1078735051406204928
RIP Bright

I thought it was pretty good