Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Is it just A Quiet Place but with sight and Sandra Bullock? Because, if so, I am down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bird Box was better than Bright, but that's not saying a whole lot :haw:

Also count me into the gently caress Lena Dunham camp. The only good thing to come out of Girls was Adam Driver.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mu Zeta posted:

She defended some sexual predator guy and attacked the victim and later admitted she was wrong. I think she also molested her little sister and wrote about it somewhere.

Didn't she later admit she was LYING about having evidence that exonerated the predator? That's like a whole huge of a difference to me than "admitted she was wrong." Because like, you can make a simple human mistake of giving someone you love/respect the benefit of the doubt. But lying for them is something else entirely.

The sister thing is weird but I think in no way a "molestation." But also why the gently caress are you writing in your book that you did something that very easily could be seen as molesting your sister?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also count me into the gently caress Lena Dunham camp. The only good thing to come out of Girls was Adam Driver.

I loved Girls, from start to finish (the episode were Adam Driver and the Ray character spends the day together might be my favorite). While I agree that some of the early hate against Lena Dunham was nothing but misogynistic, it is pretty much impossible to defend her in anyway now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

esperterra posted:

Is it just A Quiet Place but with sight and Sandra Bullock? Because, if so, I am down.

It gets that because of the sensory themes but they’re really not that similar

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

It gets that because of the sensory themes but they’re really not that similar

Even better! I would have been happy with them being more similar, but I'm def more interested hearing that-- and I was planning to check it out anyway. The trailer gave off hella Quiet Place vibes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I've never seen this A Quiet Place, but the basics of Bird Box is that it's post-apoc survival stuff with mysterious demon-things that you're not supposed to look at.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

I've never seen this A Quiet Place, but the basics of Bird Box is that it's post-apoc survival stuff with mysterious demon-things that you're not supposed to look at.

A Quiet Place is the same basic conceit, but you're not supposed to make sound.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

esperterra posted:

This is what I was led to believe, but then I watched it and it sucked and was nowhere near as good as A Quiet Place.

A Quiet Place is so much better for focusing more on visual storytelling and less on dialogue. Bird Box is like...a little visual storytelling but mostly character exposition dumps.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

She defended some sexual predator guy and attacked the victim and later admitted she was wrong. I think she also molested her little sister and wrote about it somewhere.

Yeah her statement about even started with "well most accusations are correct but did you know 2% of rape accusations are false because this is one of those" and like directly mentioned the problem of friends of rapists saying "well I know the person and he's a good guy he couldn't have done it" then did exactly that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Didn't she later admit she was LYING about having evidence that exonerated the predator? That's like a whole huge of a difference to me than "admitted she was wrong." Because like, you can make a simple human mistake of giving someone you love/respect the benefit of the doubt. But lying for them is something else entirely.

The sister thing is weird but I think in no way a "molestation." But also why the gently caress are you writing in your book that you did something that very easily could be seen as molesting your sister?

Yes. She's a garbage person.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Lena Dunham is an actual trash person tho and I feel it's a p even split of men and women dunking on her, tbf.

Yeah. The reason she's so good at playing Valerie Solanis is because Solanis was "what if Lena Dunham had the balls to actually commit to her ideology"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

I loved Girls, from start to finish (the episode were Adam Driver and the Ray character spends the day together might be my favorite). While I agree that some of the early hate against Lena Dunham was nothing but misogynistic, it is pretty much impossible to defend her in anyway now.

Coincidentally, this episode was written by her accused rapist friend.

But also I quite like the show too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I watched the first three or so seasons of Girls and really enjoyed it. I should probably finish it at some point. Trash people can still make good things.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It’s why I love Tom Cruise movies even though he’s a Scientologist.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

GreenNight posted:

There are some really good Mel Gibson movies...and I really enjoy most of Wagner’s works. :shrug:

Don’t really care for Lena Dunham, but like most people I don’t really care about I just ignore her and don’t care what she says!
:woop:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Watched Live Die Repeat again today and he is a delight in that film.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Edge of Tomorrow is top notch. The original light novel is fun too, tho ends much differently. I wish they'd skewed more toward how that went, but I didn't mind any of the changes in the movie at all tbh. It's so good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

Its hard to hate on the individual members, regardless of their fame. They’re just brainwashed and blackmailed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I watched the first three or so seasons of Girls and really enjoyed it. I should probably finish it at some point. Trash people can still make good things.

I didn't like 1 and 2 much but 3, 4 and 5 are loving gold

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always thought 3-4 were Girls’ slightly weaker period but 5 is one of the best seasons for sure.

Gonna work on my TV 2018 list today or tomorrow but for now here’s a ranking of 2018 films:

21. The House That Jack Built
20. Game Night
19. A Quiet Place
18. Sorry To Bother You
17. BlacKkKlansman
16. Black Panther
15. Isle of Dogs
14. A Star Is Born
13. Hereditary
12. Wildlife
11. Climax
10. Shoplifters
09. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
08. Widows
07. Bodied
06. Leave No Trace
05. Annihilation
04. First Reformed
03. Roma
02. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
01. Suspiria

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Apparently S3 of a series of unfortunate events is out on 1/1? I hadn’t heard anything about it or seen any trailers but it was on the “what’s coming to Netflix” articles I’ve seen. Can’t wait, I love that show.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watched Bandersnatch and I guess it was pretty good for a Donnie Darko remake?

I checked Reddit afterwards and I managed to get all of the endings on a single watchthrough, but I'm used to branching narratives from videogames. I was kind of hoping that Netflix themselves would give you a flowchart a la videogames like Virtue's Last Reward, but their solution was pretty slick.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Apparently S3 of a series of unfortunate events is out on 1/1? I hadn’t heard anything about it or seen any trailers but it was on the “what’s coming to Netflix” articles I’ve seen. Can’t wait, I love that show.

Yeah, it's the last season and it's been hyped a bit over the past month or two. Looking forward to it

I don't think I watched enough full seasons of TV for a top 10 but I know my favorite season was the final season of 12 Monkeys, and my favorite episode was "Love is the Message" from Pose

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Upon some reflection I think the main reason Netflix is chasing interactive entertainment isn't them trying to push the medium of TV further but is more about them making things that can't be pirated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

asecondduck posted:

Upon some reflection I think the main reason Netflix is chasing interactive entertainment isn't them trying to push the medium of TV further but is more about them making things that can't be pirated.

Everything can be pirated.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Everything can be pirated.

I mean, technically, yes, someone could rip all the scenes and create some sort of application that runs the branching and choices, but the work involved is way more than what your average scene releaser has to usually do and also there's no easy way to make something that would work universally in the way that, like, an MKV can be played on pretty much any device in your house.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

asecondduck posted:

I mean, technically, yes, someone could rip all the scenes and create some sort of application that runs the branching and choices, but the work involved is way more than what your average scene releaser has to usually do and also there's no easy way to make something that would work universally in the way that, like, an MKV can be played on pretty much any device in your house.

Some dude is probably working on it right now just to prove it can be done!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

asecondduck posted:

Unless Netflix starts pulling some Psycho Mantis poo poo and dynamically pulling info from your viewing history or whatever it's really not that complicated. Bandersnatch is just binary choices that are less complicated than the poo poo people were doing with laserdisc and VHS 30 years ago, it's something you could emulate with a playlist in VLC in about 30 seconds.

By comparison, something like Night Trap was made in the 80s and was exponentially more complicated since it was about simulating a bunch of real-time events unfolding in a single location split between multiple cameras you could switch between at will, to the point where it's possible to run all the video feeds at once and have the action move from one room to the next in perfect sync.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pmMJ0Nny8o

One of the first things people used YouTube annotations for was pirating old CD-ROM FMV adventure games and VHS interactive story games by letting you make the choices by clicking on the video. Even modern complicated adventure games like Heavy Rain can be "pirated" that way, which is something that Sony themselves did to promote it almost a decade ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjNsqPxO2Ws

And even if technical limitations or lack of interest prevent people from effectively pirating the interactivity, people will probably just settle for doing what they've been doing with Let's Plays of interactive adventure games for about a decade now and just watching a single non-interactive compilation of the "best" playthrough or going back and watching two or three different versions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Night Trap was very much a 90s game, recently got rereleased too!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Night Trap was very much a 90s game, recently got rereleased too!

It was shot in 1987 for the VHS-based NEMO console, the actual game just didn't get released until 1992 because the NEMO was cancelled and the footage was later repurposed for CD-ROM. Polygon did a write-up on the NEMO a few months ago, the game's weird design makes a lot more sense when you consider it was built entirely around the technology of a VHS system that could queue and play multiple streams of footage at once off of the same tape.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2018/10/31/17997106/nemo-hasbro-vhs-console-mark-turmell

I know some people here are hbomberguy fans, his video on the Halcyon is also pretty good. Interactive video is one of those things that people keep bashing their heads against but never quite getting to work in a way that is really fascinating but also kind of depressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9EbCv48z84&t=18s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnPOQr1pxY8

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 29, 2018

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Its hard to hate on the individual members, regardless of their fame. They’re just brainwashed and blackmailed.

None of that is true for Tom Cruise though. He wasn't born into it, and he wasn't an active member while he was with Nicole Kidman. He actively chose to go back, knowing what it is and knowing that he would reap all the benefits of being on top, and none of the negatives all the "regular" members have to put up with.

The man is irredeemable trash and making good movies and risking his life doing stupid stunts doesn't change that at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I'm sympathetic to the idea that many of the member might be there under duress or whatever. But at the same time you hold adults responsable for their own actions and if you're championing the group while there's former members screaming about what's wrong then you have culpability. I think of that story about John Travolta's assistant who escaped the church and sought Travolta's help and he pretended he didn't know her. And at some point protecting yourself is... selfish if there are a whole lot of people suffering.

"Blackmail" also gives me a weird feeling because while I acknowledge that some of it might be people afraid to be out of the closet or people protecting loved ones there's this idea in the back of my head that the more you're covering up because you're being blackmailed makes the thing they're blackmailing you with seem all the worse and more immoral. But I'm also not sure its fair to assume everyone in there is getting blackmailed despite what we know about the church's practice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's incredibly exhausting to hate people because of their associations. I mean, I still do it because gently caress scientology in every way but man it is hard to stay on top of who is and isnt a member of the cult.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Norwegian Rudo posted:

None of that is true for Tom Cruise though. He wasn't born into it, and he wasn't an active member while he was with Nicole Kidman. He actively chose to go back, knowing what it is and knowing that he would reap all the benefits of being on top, and none of the negatives all the "regular" members have to put up with.

The man is irredeemable trash and making good movies and risking his life doing stupid stunts doesn't change that at all.

I'm gonna guess they have at least some dirt on him, despite all that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Easily the most chilling piece of commentary on the modern technological landscape that Black Mirror has ever created.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Benedict Bandersnatch should get on the case

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WRT this bit :

quote:

The streaming platform has not provided an excuse or reason as to why these devices don't work, but they did explain that Black Mirror: Bandersnatch will stream on most smart TVs, on Roku devices, and on game consoles like the PS4 and the Xbox One.

The reason it doesn't work on the Apple TV at least is because the app uses the native video player that Apple provide through APIs to anyone who wants it. Which, naturally, doesn't support whatever system of interactability that Netflix have designed at their own end. If Netflix rolled out their video player, this wouldn't be an issue. I'm guessing it's similar situation for the other devices it doesn't work on, whereas they're probably forced to write code from the bottom up on the ones it does work on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm gonna guess they have at least some dirt on him, despite all that.

So they're forcing him to have church members slave away on his properties and his cars for no pay?