Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Happy 2018!

Please read this article and stop pretending that The West Wing is a good show.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/04/how-liberals-fell-in-love-with-the-west-wing

Good lord that guy is trying like hell to show he got a perfect verbal SAT score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pentyne posted:

Way to completely miss the point. I assume you mean the person who said the experience ended her dream of being a comedian and his follow up was to mock the idea that someone's dream could be so easily squashed if it really was their "dream"

He was still 100% that Louis CK was in the wrong but that the allegations were hilarious as gently caress to read about when you knew him. The only little support bit was Chappelle saying "did they really have to take everything from him? Was he really as bad as Weinstein etc?"

This feels like they read a headline somewhere and didn't bother reading the story or try putting it into context.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

If you don't want your dead body seen publicly then maybe don't kill yourself in a public place. Especially one literally called the Suicide Forest because it's a place where people go to kill themselves publicly.

Unless the outrage is that the dude made money off of it in which case how is that different from literally any news or true crime show or documentary ever.

How are you allowed to be a person?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh this whole thing reminds me, Do You Want to See a Dead Body? is really funny. Its on YouTube Red, but half the episodes are available for free.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

It being foggy to Dan is actually totally believable because of how much of an alcoholic he is.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The best part is how Mulder should totally be one of the "9/11 was an inside job" kooks but they don't have the balls to do that.

Of course it wasn't an inside job, but they totally used some technology from an alien space ship crash in the mountains of Afghanistan.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

J-Spot posted:

Animaniacs could lose everything that isn't the Waners or Pinky & the Brain and nothing of value would be lost. I guess Slappy Squirrel had a few good moments but then they did that "Very Special Episode" where she gets dementia or something and it pretty much ruined the character for me.

Also Good Idea, Bad Idea needs to stay.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Why did the foot statue in season 1 only have 4 toes?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve been rewatching Frisky Dingo for the first time in years. I didn’t realize Taquil I’d voiced by Killer Mike. That’s awesome, Killer Mike is the man.

Wasn't there someone else kind of famous that voiced a character, but was never credited because if they credited him then they would have to pay him the minimum amount for a SAG member, which they couldn't afford?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

All the clone trooper arcs are amazing and very dark.

Edit: The animation gets better and better just wait until the battle on Mandalore, when its just two guys fighting with lightsabers and the hanger door opens behind them revealing a massive and gorgeous battle scene.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

What? It has plenty of decapitations and murders and poo poo. Just this past season it had the empire using a weapon that disintegrated a bunch of people.

If you're talking about actual storytelling then I dunno. Rebels is one of the few official Star Wars things to like even touch on the fact that the force isn't just good/evil.

Rebels also features a droid with no regard for human life in Chopper, who delights in spacing storm troopers every other episode.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

GreenNight posted:

It's also doing reshoots again.

I mean, it worked for Rogue 1, so maybe this will too?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's insane to me that this was resolved with a public apology that was then accepted. That hasn't happened once with any of the other poo poo coming out about men in politics and entertainment. It's remarkable.

Has anyone else apologized in a way that felt genuine and demonstrated actual remorse?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

precision posted:

one hopes and presumes the Snow Crash series will age up YT to, well, anything north of 17. she's 15 in the book :yikes:

Yeah, she is totally going to be a high school senior. Either that or keep her the same age but remove the part where Raven fucks her in a maybe brainwashed state.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Holy poo poo, I know reddit is considered a toxic place, but I always just thought that meant the subreddits that were blantantly misogynist, racist, creepy, whatever. I typically only read the front page or all as a news/video/gif aggregator. The news reddit had the Aziz story and holy loving poo poo every loving commemt is about how this "millenial" woman is really the one in the wrong for retroactively withdrawing consent.

Like its not a few comments, but literally all the top ranked ones with no dissent. What. The. gently caress.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pentyne posted:

Jesus what a loving ego. It's one thing to push back against criticism, but yelling about how young and hip you are and nobody cool would ever bother listening to your critic makes it really hard for people to take you seriously.

It's not enough that the whole Aziz Ansair thing is polarizing as gently caress, but even the author herself is now stepping into it and making it worse when any competent journalist or PR rep would say "Don't loving do this, just say you stand by everything in the article".

It seriously reads like how Trump tweets.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Back when it I was headline news I loved it for a quick update. Right now I just use it for forensic files when I want to fall asleep on night shifts.

How is the Orville if I liked TNG as a concept and thought the show was kinda slow? I liked a lot of the actors but 90s me got kinda bored by filler episodes. Loved stuff like the borg or the time loop episode though.

You will like it. Its TNG but people don't pretend to be all high brow. They have fun with karaoke and Seinfeld, not string quartets and they call each other dicks when warranted.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

precision posted:

weird, i distinctly recall Versace's murder being a pretty massive deal

I grew up in South Florida and was only 14 when he was killed and it was definitely a big deal, at least in South Florida.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Never heard anything about Versace. Definitely nowhere near the level of the OJ case.

That's like saying a terrorist attack is nowhere near the level of 9/11.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

My wife wrote a thing about Aziz that is actually the real lesson to take away from this story:

https://ravishly.com/aziz-ansaris-sexual-misconduct

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Man how is TV Chat talking about one note actors this long without a mention of Jason Mantzoukas.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Has anyone caught LA to Vegas? Any good?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I wonder if any of that is due to the holidays. I got my aunt and uncle a couple months subscription for Christmas, and know lots of people who gave Netflix gift cards as gifts.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

I guess a lot of people wanted to watch Bright

If you just jump in head first and accept that Bright is a Lord of the Rings sequel set 2000 years later, its actually a fun movie.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

IRQ posted:

TVIV likes literally everything Marvel shits out no matter what it is so I believe it.

Black Lightning is DC.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Whats with Hulu on a computer? I got it last night and used my Amazon Fire to watch it on TV and the app was easy to use and navigate and build a playlist. But I am trying to watch it on the train ride home now on my laptop and I can't access that playlist anywhere, only what the series that I watched last night. Is there some setting I am missing?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Timby posted:

Paul Bettany has walked from season 3 of The Crown (which has yet to be officially approved), citing "scheduling difficulties."

Vision solo movie confirmed.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

ACS sure has a lot of Latin people playing Italians.

I think they are making amends for Scarface.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Agreed. When it comes to comedies, a beeped swear can be a joke in and of itself. The Middleman uses bleeped swears (complete with censor bars!) to great effect, and the Good Place has a pretty forking funny variation on bleeped swearing. It’s actually weird hearing South Park characters actually say “gently caress” in the video games and uncensored episodes.

Yeah, it is situational but the bleeping can sometimes be funnier than the swearing. For instance in the South Park where they say "poo poo" a lot and they discuss the rules on how you are allowed to say it, bleeping it out when it breaks the rules, but not when it doesn't.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Learned today that Ellen DeGeneres is 16 years older than Portia de Rossi and feeling a bit weirded out by the age gap

You should read up on Sarah Paulson.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Whaaat Sarah Paulson is gay?

Men are pig scum though.

Yeah, and dating the woman who played the mom on Two and a Half Men.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Whats your game here buddy?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also a lot of newspaper writers pay is tied to presence on social media as well.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

Have literally never heard of them except for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFF5X6Clvwo

Guys! Hey guys! You know that incredibly popular thing even my mom has heard of? Yeah I have never heard of it, except for like one instance which is how I recognized I should respond by saying how I have never heard of them! Imagine Dragons, uh I mean Dream Serpents, never heard of em. :smuggo:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Randallteal posted:

Are they actually super popular? I thought they were basically just a farm for obnoxious ad/commercial music. Never met a fan in real life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagine_Dragons#Awards_and_nominations

You will also find a link to the wikipedia article devoted to just their awards and nominations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I just started watching Runaways, and I am a little worried that I went to a mystic murder school built by Pride:

Pride logo:

University of Florida logo:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

How much did Lyft have to pay to be the ride sharing service of choice in Runaways?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

precision posted:

AP Bio is great

I liked the first two episodes, but if they don't make a few changes its gonna get real annoying real fast. Like the main character is a little too over the top. His smugness needs to be a little more subtle.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

less laughter posted:

meanwhile the concept of "making a joke" has been around for millennia

Four millennia actually...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-joke-odd/worlds-oldest-joke-traced-back-to-1900-bc-idUSKUA14785120080801

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

First 2? I thought they only released the pilot last night and the season actually starts in a month?

By the way, does anybody know why NBC broadcast sitcoms OTA last night but had an episode of Jimmy Fallon streaming during those time slots on DTVNow?

First three episodes are on Hulu.