Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Last night I pulled up Netflix to find something to watch but couldn't really decide and got distracted with my phone... and then this thing just started playing over a screensaver. And boy was it briefly confusing and unnerving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm actually having a hard time coming up with a role where NPH isn't a villain.

I mean, Doogie Howser, I guess. But I haven't seen that in a long time so I can't be sure of it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Didn't the island move locations? So its theoretically possible that the island was in a place that made sense and then moved?

Lost was dumb.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They were kept in captivity by Dharma but I can't remember if they brought them there or if them being there was part of what they were investigating about the island.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Guy Mann posted:

It's a pretty good show so long as you don't mind that the explanation for why weird things happen on a magic island is because it's a magic island.

I don't think the magic island is the issue. There's plenty of shows I enjoy who have similar explanations or resolutions. I think its a question of what the show sells. Lost spent years selling a complicated web of conspiracy and mystery as its primary selling point and the reason to watch the show (and even obsess over it) and when you do that you're going to face some tough scrutiny when you finally provide the answers. Some people were satisfied with what they got, others weren't.

I mean, Lost did a thing where they spent like years promoting a series of numbers, questioning what their deeper meaning was, and going so far as to place them in other tv shows and mediums to expand the excitement and if I'm remembering correctly it turned out to just be a serial number.

I think its kind of hard to argue that Lost wasn't "dumb" a lot of the time, especially with payoffs. That doesn't mean it wasn't a compelling character piece. Or that if you avoid getting too invested in the mysteries and watching it now miss the years long poo poo show of hype around the mysteries you can enjoy it for that character stuff. But the show is definitely dumb at a lot of points, especially its conspiracy and mystery stuff.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, was that that weird lighthouse and magic telescope thing? That least season is really a blur for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was some kind of Egyptian half animal god with four toes or something.

Which is probably a better example of Lost's "that makes sense but it wasn't worth X years of hype to hear" question/answer problem.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Some part of me always views Lin Manuel Miranda as House's crazy roommate the last time I really enjoyed that show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Looten Plunder posted:

My TV calendar app had The Good Place returning last week but the various sites I obtain said show don't have any new episodes. Did it actually come back last week?

Yeah, there was a new episode last week. I watched it on Hulu. It didn't show up in the "Keep Watching" section so I kind of have to go find it, though. Because Hulu's interface is garbage.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, most of these cases are about men in positions of huge power who have gotten away with abuses for years to multiple victims. Harmon basically already suffered his fall from power for his behavior and Gantz just seemed to want him to stop being full of poo poo and admit what he'd done.

I'm hesitant to really praise Harmon or anything because besides him still being the bad guy in this story and it seeming like it raises all kind of questions about Community, its cast and crew, and the stuff involving Gantz's firing and Harmon's return... doesn't he do this sort of thing all the time and then just keep being an rear end in a top hat? I mean, maybe I'm being unfair but it didn't help that his whole speech ended with "I'm going to go drink."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DivisionPost posted:

Possible. But I think he gave the most honest, thorough apology one could hope to hear, one that Ganz accepted, and all we can do is see what comes after, whether he starts living up to his word or falls back into those old habits. I could see it going either way. But his victim forgave him, and though that doesn't erase what he did, we might as well give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

If other people lay down accusations in the future, though? Absolutely, gently caress him.

Yeah, I fully admit I just don't like the guy and before I knew he had sexually harassed one of his writers I had already reached the "You know what? gently caress Dan Harmon. I'm done." stage.

So sorry. Probably a knee jerk response to seeing Harmon get pats on the back. That's my bad. It ain't about how i feel about the guy.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 11, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its super super bleak but I'm not sure I'd call it bad. I'm not sure I'd call it good either. Pilot's bad and first few episodes are stuck in one place but they eventually get out of there and the show opens up a bit. But I still haven't ventured into S2 because S1 just crushed my loving soul. S2 just ended and I think there's a S3 coming. If nothing else, its not a show that does what you expect.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's definitely a S2 and wiki tells me an upcoming S3. So no guarantees but its all open right now.

S1 had a kind of resolution on the season but clear hanger for next season feel.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Santa Clarita Diet is something I watched all of but had literally escaped my memory entirely until I just saw its name mentioned. It was just that memorable!

Its problem is its perfectly delightful but then once it finally starts to get kind of meaty the season just ends unresolved like theres a bunch of episodes missing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. I just ended up walking away feeling like they came up with the idea, cast the show... and then stopped. They never seemed to actually figure out where to go with it so they just filmed the first act of the story and then stopped.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

See, I learned the Murphy pattern and just dont bother anymore.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

raditts posted:

I'm not sure which show you're talking about, but it's only been in the last 15 years or so that TV channels didn't regularly run reruns of old shows. Like, who didn't grow up in the 90s and watch Gilligan's Island or I Dream of Jeannie on summer afternoons
OP's talking about The Avengers, which in fairness is legit old and way less common in reruns when I was a kid (and I'm kind of old). Still, I caught some episodes alongside Adam West Batman and Green Hornet episodes some weekends. Enough to know who Steed and Mrs. Peel are. And there was a bad movie in the 90s. But it was more of kind of show my dad watched when he was a kid than one I caught on Nick at Nite or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lurdiak posted:

Monster Squad is more fun than it is good, to be honest. That movie has no structure.

Yeah, to me this is like people being excited about a revival of Car 54 Where Are You?.

I mean, I used to watch that with Get Smart, Gomer Pyle USMC, and The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis so its still a thin line here about how old we are and how much Nick at Nite we watched.

And probably how often your dad made you watch shows from his childhood like mine did.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 19, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

I liked Get Smart but I don't think that kind of humor plays anymore. Just like you don't see Mel Brooks type movies or parodies like Hot Shots or Naked Gun anymore.

I would watch the gently caress out of a Mr Ed revival though.

Oh, I'm not advocating it any more than I think Vaudeville will return. But like the Avengers is just a spy show with flashy gear and a sexy leading lady. That's kind of always in style.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't say I've ever felt strongly about needing more or less Eliza Dushku.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If I didn't know any better I'd think that Heathers trailer was made by Ryan Murphy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just have no idea how to put my opinion about that trailer. Like I love the movie. It feels weird to say the trailer is... too catty? Too immature? Too snarky? None of that makes sense because the original was all those things. I guess the original just had an edge and a seriousness to it? It was dark humor. That trailer just feels more like Mean Girls or a Murphy thing or something. Maybe its just hard to duplicate the ability/chemistry of Winona Ryder and Christian Slater?

I don't know, I'm probably just old and can't relate to kids stuff or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm kind of fine with him in The Good Place, mainly because they specifically use him sparingly as a literal mistake of an excuse for a human being.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

I have yet to see the Netflix show that critics didn’t bitch about the pacing. I wonder how much of it is from the requirement that they have to watch the show as fast as possible to get the reviews out. Making something work saps the enjoyment out of it

I think it's just a basic symptom of the binge watching era. You u sit and watch the same thing for days on end and eventually you just naturally get kind of tired of it but you keep watching through to the end. It's part of why I always binge a couple of shows (and usually shows with different tones) at the same time so I can switch back and forth when my mood changes or I've had enough of one. Plus I watch sports and news and other stuff. But I think reviewers and a lot of fans just go 100% into binging these shows when they come out and that contributes to the constant "pacing" or "it was too long" criticisms.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I usually couple an hour long drama with a half hour comedy so I can mix them up depending on mood.

Yeah, I usually go comedy/drama light/heavy. I don't really like to binge two deep shows at once because if I get into one over the other I might lose interest in the other. But something light I can just relax with when I don't feel like fully investing in the other is perfect. Right now my "light" is Psych and it's long enough that it's taken me through a couple of "heavy"s including Punisher and Runaways and I'm picking a new one.

lelandjs posted:

Though as a counterpoint, if Runaways had been released all at once, I probably would have liked it a little more. Having to wait week-to-week with (relatively little) plot momentum kinda killed it for me.
Oh 4 out of 5 times I prefer to binge a show. I waited and binged Runaways when it was all released. I just think it's the difference of watching all the episodes in a couple of days and watching it over a week or two between other stuff. I just like to let my interest level dictate the pace.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its starting to become more common for the 24 episode network shows to split their seasons themselves into 2 12 episode plots. It isn't the case all the time and a lot still just do a big dramatic cliffhanger for Winter finales. But I feel like they're inching towards having two unique antagonists and plots a season. That's a lot easier to digest, and I suspect a lot easier to manage as filmmakers. Agents of SHIELD has done a good job with that the last few years, even going into 8 episode thirds last year.

Of course there's still a lot of "filler" a lot of time and a lot of shows just really drag out the one plot and just have a dramatic Act 2 moment at the half way point or something. But it works sometimes, and "filler" can be fun as described with shows like X-Files and Supernatural.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

swickles posted:

Black Lightning is DC.

I think the breakdown of this war is actually like Marvel, Arrowverse, Justice League, and anything else touched by Whedon vs Zach Snyder's movies and maybe Wonder Woman? I'm not clear where Wonder Woman falls.

I haven't watched Black Lightning yet. I'll probably give it a look tonight. My prediction is TVIV's opinion of it will follow the same path as Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, and many other shows. There will be a lot of praise in S1 of new things and unique appeals from similar shows. In S2 there will start to be complaints about its patterns and habits that are starting to wear thing on some. by S3 it will be dismissed as a derivative mess where nothing truly matters.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bull3964 posted:

That's not just CW shows, that's TVIV boilerplate for every show.

Season 3 writing becomes "lazy" and the characters will be caricatures of what they once were. There will either be too many episodes and the pacing will be too uneven or not enough episodes to let the concept breath. They really need to jettison 'x' character for next season because they are insufferable and have run their course.

Yeah, its a basic pattern that hold some truth but seems to say more about the viewer's tastes than the show's flaws. 90% of network shows follow a basic pattern of S1 growing pains and learning what works and what doesn't, S2 really leaning in on what works and what they learned from S1, and in S3 they're settled in and have a bit of a formula. Some viewers obviously hate this and prefer shows that blow everything up every season or drive make plots that change everything each season. So they just get tired with a show that isn't interested in doing that, but just wants to perfect its formula.

"Formulaic" shouldn't be a bad word. It isn't for everyone but there's plenty of people who love shows or movies specifically because they're formulaic. No one goes into a Fast and Furious movie to see what amazing macguffin is written for the plot. They just want to see the formula they enjoy done well.

I know Supernatural is a formulaic show that is doing the same poo poo its been doing for a decade. I know its meta plots are often flimsy and result in wiping the slate clean. I watch because I like that forumula and have for over a decade. I like being able to watch that show once a week.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Good Place is an interesting case to me because in large parts its everything goods want in blowing poo poo up and doing something different. But also Michael Schur's got a good record of great comedies that kind of settle into a formula of character chemistry, relationships, and in jokes. And like, there's definitely an element of that in The Good Place and its characters.

The Good Place is a show that SHOULD have a clear end date in mind but I wonder if Schur/NBC has that or if goons will grow tired of the character formulas before it does. I can definitely see it getting the patented TVIV S3 backlash.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Escobarbarian posted:

so to clarify, the argument here is "TVIV turns on every show in its third season because the show with the worst fanbase ever had idiots complain about the quality even though it was the best one yet"?

also didn't the Flash backlash start with s2?

You know good and well its not "every show" and if anyone said "every show" it was hyperbole and you literally just brought up a show as a counter example and when someone said it did the same thing you called its fanbase the "worst." I even pointed out that shows like The Good Place that break formulas appeal to these goons who have these complaints and thus "break the mold".

I think Flash was a pretty good example of the pattern.

S1: This is fun and different from that mopey Arrow that has all these relationships and lies and melodrama.
S2: I'm getting tired of the melodrama and relationship stuff that was there in S1 too but I'm getting sick of it.
S3: Every year its the same mopey melodrama CW poo poo.

And as I said, I don't even think these complaints are necessarily wrong. But they're more about the individual's tastes and patterns than the show's a lot of time. Flash always had melodrama and dark character themes. The show started with Barry tormented by his mother's death, his father's incarceration, and his starcrossed romantic interest. Some viewers just glossed past that stuff when they were having fun with the show and gradually got more and more annoyed by it. And there's nothing wrong with them just getting tired of Flash's formula and losing interest in it. But some posters basically treat quitting a show like a breakup.

Agents of SHIELD is a good example of the alternative. It started off very formulaic and goons were highly critical, but as its gone on its picked up a pattern of dramatically shaking up the status quo each season or more resulting in the goon opinion getting very positive on it.

This isn't a "goons are wrong" theory. Its a "theres a majority taste in TVIV" one.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 25, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's also the old classic teenage "trend" mindset. That two or three seasons is the right amount for something you thought was cool to now be something that other people think is cool and you don't really want to agree with those people. Kids have been doing that forever about everything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bringing this full circle, I just watched the first two episodes of Black Lightning and I will agree that it's good. Costume is kind of goofy and the superheroing is thus far the weakest part. But I think the show benefits from having their world preestablished so it's not a hero origin story (like we've got dozens of now) but rather a story of an old hero having an existential crisis about a decade of successes and failures. And a lot of the themes and topics you'd expect from a show about African American heroes, criminals, cops, and neighborhoods so far done pretty well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

swickles posted:

Whats with Hulu on a computer? I got it last night and used my Amazon Fire to watch it on TV and the app was easy to use and navigate and build a playlist. But I am trying to watch it on the train ride home now on my laptop and I can't access that playlist anywhere, only what the series that I watched last night. Is there some setting I am missing?

I think you should be able to access your "Watchlist" if you hover over your username in the top right corner?

But basically Hulu's interface is total garbage. Which sucks because their queue they had forever and got rid of a year or two ago was kind of perfect, IMO. Now its just a mess of recommendations, new episodes, half watched stuff, and things on my watchlist popping up at any given time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't have a problem with Netflix. Its easy to browse by genre and while the recommendation bars are always hit and miss they sometimes tip me off to something. And its recently gotten a lot easier to scroll away from the main recommendations and to the traditional genre categories and stuff. And the "Resume Watching" bar is basically the exact thing Hulu is missing.

My only real problem with Netflix is the randomization of the bars that sometimes leaves me searching for my Watchlist/Resume Watching.

But its also kind of a different thing than Hulu because a big part of the problem with Hulu is new episodes getting added 1 at a time. The old Queue was an easy way to just see everything that's been added and sorted by your show or the date, while now its just all really random if you don't know what you're looking for.

Plus I just find it annoying that if I watch a new episode Hulu always tries to start some random show on my watchlist after that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bull3964 posted:

Watchlist is still a thing in the new Hulu interface, it just takes a few more clicks to get to.

It is, but in the old Hulu queue you just got new and unwatched episodes clearly laid out. Now its just a bunch of tiles of shows and some fine print about what's unwatched or new.

precision posted:

Whenever I used Hulu on the Roku or PS4 it does have a "Keep Watching" tab though :confused:

I know this because every time I start it up my wife's anime shows are all on there

I have a "Keep Watching" on my FireTV but shows disappear from it and shows I've finished/caught up with remain on it. And from a purely aesthetic view I find the scrolling option to be way less clear than either the list it used to have or the smaller scrolling bar Netflix has.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Charmed was on like all day, every day during that post-college unemployed job search stay home alone all day period of my life and I remember way, way too much about that show. Its a personal shame.

bull3964 posted:

"Damnation" cancelled after one season.

Was that any good? I still have it sitting on my DVR and I'm debating picking it up as one of my new binges as I'm currently without any after finishing Psych and Gifted. I'll skip it if it was bad or had a frustratingly unresolved ending.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

muscles like this! posted:

I have no idea what Dirty Money is.

Its a Netflix docu-anthology about corporate corruption.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is buying Twitter followers really a punishable offense?

I mean... is there some direct benefit to that besides pretending you're more popular than you really are?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, fair. I was sincerely asking if I was missing some actual benefit he was cheating with this. Apparently there might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. I zoned out of Suits a few seasons back but it was pretty early on that Mike's story really became a lot of baggage for the show that was really difficult to right around without just rehashing the same stuff. I like Mike and losing Meghan Markle is a tragedy, but the show is probably better off focusing on Harvey and law firm soap opera stuff.

Which it kept TRYING to do but ultimately everything had to keep coming back to Mike because it was just way too much baggage.