Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

precision posted:

Tin Star owns tho

Tin Star was the worst show I watched last year and I felt bad for Tim Roth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

precision posted:

really? explain? i thought it was great :shrug:

I actually thought the first episode had some promise but it went astray starting with the reveal about who the real badguys are, and how loving incompetent they are.

Often, the characters do things that are neither in line with their character or make logical sense. At one point, three people decide they need to cover up a murder... of a man who had illegally broken and entered a house while armed with a silenced pistol to murder them all. At one point, a character gets stockholm syndrome in literally 2 hours. Hendrick's character, who we're ostensibly supposed to root for later in the series, wants to blackmail the company she works for to improve her position and threatens a witness's life to do it. She's literally the same as the corporate bad guy.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, in the first episode when they find the pilot. They're a thousand miles off course because their radio went out and they turned back to Fiji.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah but even so the trench they were found in was faaaaar away from Fiji. Like it's 1500 miles from Fiji to mainland Australia and nearly 2000 to Sydney itself. It's another 2500 miles from Sydney to Bali, which is where I think the "plane" was located. It'd be like if JFK Junior's plane was found in the waters off Los Angeles instead of Martha's Vineyard and nobody says a thing.

It's a bad show.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Ansari's demeanor in his sets and in candid moments always set off a little alarm that something was off with the guy. He never comes off as sincere to me.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm trying to remember what I think is a series... but may be a movie... or a videogame?

It's sci fi, with ships that jump, and said jumps are controlled by... a woman? who's in a pod a la Minority report; I remember her waking up suddenly and yelling "Jump!" and the ship jumping, but that's kind of all I have.

Did I just mix up a bunch of stuff and hallucinate it?

That's a cylon basestar in Battlestar Galactica.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The really bonkers thing about that The Passage TV show is that it is based on the novel of the same name but the TV show is literally just the first chapter.

I just watched the trailer and was amazed that they assembled this cast of actors I sort of recognize for flashback sequences that make up 10% of the first book.

Oh, that's the show then? You're not gonna do the whole thing that people read the books for? Vampire post-apoc a hundred years after everyone is dead?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

esperterra posted:

Every time we see Patty's Greek?? Italian?? Spanish??? idk mediterreanean-rear end family they're having a huge dinner and eating spanikopita or some poo poo

I appreciate this tho

She's Armenian and it's a very stereotypical LA view of the Armenian community. I'm only two episodes into season 2 but I'm really digging Mark Duplass. Although he played a very similar character in Creep.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Like, if someone has said or done something wrong then its wrong. Period. Taking their side and compromising your values because he's on your team is just not having values.

Yeah, the bad guy sometimes "wins" because he doesn't play fair. Being right is often harder than just doing whatever's convenient. That's why the other thing is convenient.

And in the grand scheme of things if the worst thing that happens here is that Mike Cernovich celebrates on twitter that he ruined GotG3 then that's a pretty inconsequential win in a much larger war.

Don't listen to bad faith arguments.

James Gunn very obviously evolved in his humor.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Joel McHale's Netflix show was basically the cheapest show ever made and was the show on Netflix where Netflix actors came to hawk their Netflix shows. Netflix has all that data though, so it must have been doing extremely poorly, even when considering it as promotion.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

drunkill posted:

Also the Mass Effect theme at 20 seconds....

netflix pls

I noticed it too and got my hopes up for something out of left field.

But instead it was the OA Part II.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

zoux posted:

The OA was real bad imo with the most ridiculous finale climax of all time

To be clear, I was using the OA as a punchline, I'm not looking forward to it beyond the wonderfully ridiculous gif fodder.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Is it possible to get the VM cast back together for this? Surely, they must be doing other things? Also, why does this get brought back when Firefly is still dead in the ground?

Firefly is loving over, they made a movie and killed major characters and everything.

Plus, Nathan got this "old rookie" cop show coming up.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

can Ozark fans just admit that it’s clearly a sly parody of prestige TV crime drama bullshit. because it’s that or the writers actually believe this super dark and adult brooding people get waterboarded because it’s hardcore thing is actually legit

Better Call Saul and Ozark both feature American reps of Mexican drug cartels suffocating people with plastic bags this season. Not sure I understand your argument.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I think the only new network show I'm going to watch is the one based on The Passage but even then I'm not super thrilled since it seems like it is ignoring the actual premise of the book.

oh jeez I forgot they were doing that.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SubInsider/status/1022944761429286912

What a difference three months makes.

Any theories to why they missed last quarter but came up big in the summer

International growth. The Netflix originals from other countries besides the US are starting to spin up and a lot of them look very interesting tbh.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Total loving clown move by Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I mean, it is true that most network shows are budgeted per episode like that. But it's not usually that difficult to get around when you have a competent producer and it's not like studios aren't familiar with streaming models that release all episodes at once.