Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Iron Crowned posted:

I just want Arabian Snatch

hell, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I work a 9-5 right now. Weirdly, it's a cook job which is the last place you'd expect to have a loving 9-5 lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jesus christ.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm going to movie derail for a hot second because gently caress wandering into CD this early in the afternoon, but I saw Mary Poppins Returns last night and it surpassed my expectations. Definitely Rob Marshall's best movie since Chicago (tho not as good as Chicago).

Blunt was great, they didn't push her past her vocal range and she's improved a lot since Into the Woods. She coulda been more of a bitch but the script's Mary Poppins was softer than she used to be. There were a lot of really cool setpieces, and the songs were all good tho none of them really jumped out at me. Maybe they'll be more memorable a second go around. Lin-Manuel Miranda was terribly loving annoying but not enough to detract from the movie. I swear he was trying to imitate Van Dyke's terrible cockney accent, despite being an entirely different character and not having even a fraction of the charisma that let Van Dyke get away with sounding so ridiculous.

Missed opportunity to have a Sister Suffragette-esque moment; Emily Mortimer as Jane is very much into social issues as Mrs. Banks was in the original but she never got any songs which kinda sucked. Needed a bop about unionizing or something to round it out imo.

Anyway I recommend Mary Poppins Returns. It might even be more enjoyable for people who don't find LMM irritating as all hell!

e:

also seconding that Sick Note is p good goddamnit. Lindsay Lohan was on point.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I just got out of seeing it. It felt like one of the closest modern interpretations of an old-school Disney movie I've seen, at least in terms of visual style and storytelling. You're right, Lin Manuel Miranda does loving suck. It felt like his character was unnecessary and he was only there because of his popularity with Hamilton and poo poo like that. None of the songs were memorable to me either. But the presentation was nice!

It's a forgettable movie but not bad. In the moment it's like watching a classic Disney movie except not as good. Also feels like watching a movie version of a musical play.

I appreciated the Jane character being a labor organizer.

Yeah, it's a weird movie because I thought it was pretty excellent-- it's nowhere near the original, of course-- in that it's probably the best Disney movie I've seen in aaaaages. But the songs, while mostly good (Streep's number was p awful tho) were super forgettable. The most memorable music moments would be when they'd weave in a bit of orchestration from the original. The only big sequence that really stands out to me was the animated music hall segment, The Cover is Not the Book, I think, and it was more the setpiece itself than the song that stuck with me.

But it was really well made and I had a blast watching it, and Blunt was p much the only person who could have taken the character and had it feel right. I'm eternally grateful they didn't try to have her hit any Julie highs in any of the songs and let her remain just an alto lmao. Her dancing surprised me, too, I wasn't expecting her to keep up so well!

I think my biggest issue with LMM was him being incredibly one note. It was bad enough that Jack was a really lazy rehash of Bert, but even as a copy he didn't have as much variety of character as Van Dyke did in the original. Bert had more emotions than 'wide eyed dumbass smile' in Mary Poppins and LMM is just ... there, I guess. I'm biased against him already but I think I'm not too corrupted or w/e in my opinion of him to complain about how he was in this. It was a choice.

In general Jane needed more to do. Ben Whishaw as Michael was some inspired stuff tho, he really took me there in that one sombre number he had.

Also the (most people know about this but I'll spoiler it anyway? ending thing) Dick Van Dyke scene, as the son of the old bank manager he played in the original, was A++ and that man can still jig for like 95 or however crazy old he is. Seeing him was such a delight.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They should have either gone with a different actor, or rewrote Jack so that he isn't such a redo of the Bert character from the original. LMM may have done better if the character were different, and I'd have probably been less annoyed with him in this movie if they went that route. It also would have done the movie better imo. A lot of it is touching the same beats from the original, and same overall structure of the original entirely, and that's fine imo but not when you're then also trying to capture the same feel as some of the side characters. Do the same story but with a new perspective, I guess?

But yeah I'd recommend it to anyone who loves musicals or the original movie.

e: also if you think about it Mary Poppins is more Bert's movie than Mary's movie w/r/t the character's screen time and impact, and that's kind of the case here with Jack as well (tho Mary's in the mo vie more overall than the original I'd say), and LMM just can't carry it

e2: Bert came off as a surrogate fun father figure to the Banks kids and Jack comes off as a weird cousin lmbo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He had a fake name in the credits iirc, they use the same name in the credits here, it's a cute nod!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You should whip up an OP and make one!

:agreed:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Schitt's Creek is a Canadian national treasure. It's very good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

feedmyleg posted:

Oh poo poo. I just watched the first episode of The Americans. I felt like I just watched an entire season. That was incredible.

I'm v jealous

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

If the first episode grabbed you like that you're in for a treat

Is Tusk in that one? The show has these great set pieces set to iconic songs from the era, there's one with Eminence Front that owns

Yeah, the whole series opens with that Tusk segment iirc

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Shameless US is a rare case of the remake being better imo, but the two shows also have wildly different vibes so that probably helps it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The gerbil is a George Clooney rumour, but I like your version better.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

whowhatwhere posted:

I'd always heard Richard Gere. Maybe that rumor just attaches itself to a new leading man every generation and in ten years it'll be Noah Centineo or something.

Oh you may be right tbh. Gere sounds right. Def an actor with eternally gray hair.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Too busy bein the world's coolest aunt to watch TV!! My sister and I watched some crazy gingerbread competition tho

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

McSpanky posted:

and no one else

She's also great in Girls but is also basically playing herself cranked to 11 so idk if that counts

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lena Dunham is an actual trash person tho and I feel it's a p even split of men and women dunking on her, tbf.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Is it just A Quiet Place but with sight and Sandra Bullock? Because, if so, I am down.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

It gets that because of the sensory themes but they’re really not that similar

Even better! I would have been happy with them being more similar, but I'm def more interested hearing that-- and I was planning to check it out anyway. The trailer gave off hella Quiet Place vibes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

I've never seen this A Quiet Place, but the basics of Bird Box is that it's post-apoc survival stuff with mysterious demon-things that you're not supposed to look at.

A Quiet Place is the same basic conceit, but you're not supposed to make sound.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I watched the first three or so seasons of Girls and really enjoyed it. I should probably finish it at some point. Trash people can still make good things.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Edge of Tomorrow is top notch. The original light novel is fun too, tho ends much differently. I wish they'd skewed more toward how that went, but I didn't mind any of the changes in the movie at all tbh. It's so good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked the first season of Goliath a lot. Didn't bother with 2 tho 'cause as far as I can tell Olivia Thirlby didn't return.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

<3 girl im drunk and i love everyone in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

X-O posted:

Almost 12 years late to the party on this one but is the rest of Veronica Mars S3 as bad as the first four episodes? If so I might just go ahead and call it. That's a lot of hours of TV I don't want to sit through if it doesn't pick up.

I like season 3 a lot, but yeah it doesn't pick up too much. I think I remember liking the back half more than the front half? But it's nowhere near as good as seasons 1 and 2, and suffers immensely from being two different arcs split across each half of the season, rather than a full season arc like the former seasons.

It's good in the sense it's better than most shows, but not as good as VMars should be.

e: also veronica and logan is bae but to each their own ofc

e2: the whole pining after her/after eachother aspect of s3 was bothersome to me tho. mostly because the love interest they introduce in season 3 is so loving lame lmao to the point they kind of dunk on that choice in the movie.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 31, 2018