Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

First new episode of Arrested Development is too preoccupied with playing catch-up to be all that great. Hope the rest improves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't seen the last few episodes but I'm really enjoying Westworld this season

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol what

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I hated letterboxing too as a kid but in my defense I was too young and stupid to know any better. I didn't even realize they cut off parts of the screen, ugh.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm not a letterbox hater, but in the VHS era, most TVs just weren't that big. Cropping and pan/scan, allowed you to see the picture better than letter boxing.

Oh, I forgot we were talking about VHS. Yeah, I can see how that might be better in that situation.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lurdiak posted:

Letterboxing sucked rear end because most people had pretty small CRT tvs back then and the extra compression made really hard to see anything, especially if the movie had a ridiculously wide aspect ratio like Spartacus. Sure, directors flipped their poo poo about pan and scan because it messed with every decision they made about blocking and framing, but there was really no perfect solution. The idea of a movie seen at home even comparing to the theater experience is a very new one.

Yeah I didn't realize we were talking about the VHS era at the time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think I'll ever watch 13 Reasons Why, I just can't get past the premise, which is both too bleak for my tastes and honestly kind of offensive.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got my dad to start watching Fargo before the second season aired and he will not stop bugging me about a fourth season. If only he'd take my other recommendations and loving watch The Good Place, goddammit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Last night was episode 9, I assume of 10 like the first.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The only thing I'm not really feeling at all this season is Dolores' story. It feels kind of one-note.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

Gas lighting?

You don't know what Gaslighting is?

It comes from the play Gaslight, where (to my recollection) a woman has her perception of reality broken down by her abusive husband when he starts denying her memory of events constantly. It's a form of abuse that basically boils down to "denying something that both parties know to be true to make the abused question their sanity/memory/etc."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

I know what gaslighting is, I don't think lying to your partner about having an affair qualifies

I guess imo it would depend on whether or not she had proof. Still lovely obviously.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Been watching Friends and oh my god, I can’t believe Ross and Rachel broke up! Do you guys think they really were on a break or not?

- TVIV in 2050

I probably won't even watch the second season of Legion and don't care about spoilers for it but this is the general chat thread, dude. People come in here not expecting (honestly still pretty recent) spoilers. You're being a dick about this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The nice meltdown is coming from inside the thread

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

lmao this from the guy who can't even handle someone else mentioning that he is a fan of the show Jessica Jones without flying off the handle like an absolute lunatic

are you okay

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

also my problem was that you seemed incapable of talking about it without being a condescending dick

like uhhhhhhhh right now, about this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyone here watch Brockmire? The AV Club keeps pushing it and I want to know what the hell it actually is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apple's making an immigration anthology series co-written by Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon of The Big Sick fame.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, Jordan Peele is keeping busy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IRQ posted:

Who knew his true passion was horror?

What happened to Key? I'm much more into comedy.

Keegan's in Shane Black's new Predator movie... and he was in that weird Skyrim for Amazon Echo joke at Bethesda's E3 showcase!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnEW6dX_BmU

e: he's also got that Netflix show Friends from College

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

STAC Goat posted:

Its weird because on one level I think you could argue that Key has had the more high profile career where people would actually recognize him while Peele has objectively been more successful but I still sometimes accidently confuse him with Jeffrey Wright.

But that was real bad.

I didn't watch it, but I did hear that. I think it's getting a second season though, so I thought it worth mentioning.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It can be real and also a joke.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Super goes out of its way to keep continuity with the epilogue, aside from introducing new stuff the epilogue didn't mention.

I think what he's getting at is that Super absolutely fucks the powerscale in a way that the epilogue is fundamentally incapable of acknowledging.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Croatoan posted:

So Harlan Ellison is going to write the new Star Trek TNG series. Man this day can't get any better!

Uhhhhh

e: I think it's a joke, but even still

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The last time I saw one was in Korra four years ago.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That just makes me remember one of my favorite episodes of Community, the first fake clip show episode, which ended up actually being one of the most expensive and difficult episodes of that season production-wise.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's the same showrunner, but most people seem to feel the exact opposite way you do.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

For the record, 5 was about where I started really getting into the season so it's probably just a matter of taste.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Did someone say Korra!?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hakkesshu posted:

Evan Rachel Wood loving seriously

She's got maybe the least compelling role in that show imo which is saying something.

e: just give her award to Jeffrey Wright, he always looks so sad all the time in everything, and that way he and Sterling K. Brown can both win

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Luke Cage wouldn't be eligible this year, pretty sure.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's an okay show with the most notable things about it being the cast and how grisly it is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

was the word "house" blue in the script

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

STAC Goat posted:

Like, if someone has said or done something wrong then its wrong. Period. Taking their side and compromising your values because he's on your team is just not having values.

Yeah, the bad guy sometimes "wins" because he doesn't play fair. Being right is often harder than just doing whatever's convenient. That's why the other thing is convenient.

And in the grand scheme of things if the worst thing that happens here is that Mike Cernovich celebrates on twitter that he ruined GotG3 then that's a pretty inconsequential win in a much larger war.

That's not the worst thing that can happen here, chuds are going to use this to push out anyone they dislike.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh poo poo, they just announced Frances McDormand is playing God in Good Omens! What a loving cast in that show, my god.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It starts a little slow with the first few episodes but I'm on episode 5 and it's settled into a nice rhythm. Also apparently episode 7 has a bonkers premise and is amazing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My take on this is that I no longer feel qualified to have an opinion on it. It's just weird from so many angles now.

Like, obviously he should lose his job if he did it, and shouldn't if he didn't, but this whole mess is so overcomplicated, jeez.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cloak and Dagger is honestly really great, just watched episode 7 and it was a loving trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The hero we deserve