Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's Whedon's current project? That Batgirl movie he was making for Warner Bros. fell through, didn't it? Is he back in TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That premise sounds familiar to me. I am not well-up on Victoriana schlock but I'm sure "Victorian X-Men" has been done.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dino De Laurentiis wanted to make more movies and told Harris that if he didn't write novels for him to adapt he'd get someone else to do it, so Harris wrote Hannibal and Hannibal Rising. I have heard that he made the first one deliberately pulpy and ridiculous in the hopes that nobody would take an adaptation seriously.

Hannibal Rising was probably done just for the money. It's the one which is about how Hannibal wanted to gently caress his Japanese aunt and follows the bushido code as a serial killer and that kind of thing. I think Harris decided at some point it was just easier to pander to the fans who like Hannibal because he's a badass, cultured, genius Renaissance man and not an arrogant psychopath who murders people for petty reasons.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 5, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's interesting, though, that since at least the 1970s, far more Best Picture winners were in the top 10 highest-grossing movies of the year than were not. That's only stopped being the case in the past 15 years or so.

For example, Best Picture winners from 1970 to 1979 that were in the top five for their respective release years were Patton, The French Connection, The Sting, The Godfather, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Rocky and Kramer vs Kramer and that's more than half. The three remaining winners (The Godfather Part II, Annie Hall and The Deer Hunter) were all in the top 10.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 9, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Even so, there wasn't a really big break between what made the most money and what won the big awards until the early 2000s. The last movies that won Best Picture which were also in the top 10 movies the years they came out were Gladiator and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking forward to the Baffled! reboot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is original BSG from 1978?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

It's def not for everyone.

Who is it for? (I haven't watched it.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How does the Rock fit in an ongoing TV show (even if it's doing short seasons) with all these movies he's in?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking earlier about what the longest tv series I have binged is in terms of episode numbers. I think it might be The X-Files which has 202 episodes and two movies (I haven't seen either of the more recent series, which add 16 more episodes) but if I cheated it would be watching SG-1 back to back with Atlantis since that's 214 episodes of SG-1, two SG-1 movies and 100 episodes of Atlantis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Lost did an episode which was all about Matthew Fox's tattoos?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Oh man, I remember those early 90's attempts to jump on the Simpson's bandwagon. I was just entering adolescence so it was cool to be able to watch cartoons but with grown up jokes. Too bad they were all terrible.

My abiding memory of Father of the Pride is when it had an episode guest-starring Eddie Murphy... as Donkey from Shrek.

Of course, I've always been amused by Jeffrey Katzenberg's comments, which are doubtless an apposite insight on the show's approach to humour:

quote:

According to Katzenberg, Siegfried & Roy's reactions were more positive: "They laughed. A lot. They kept asking us to create more contradiction. Literally, one's blond and one's dark, and every aspect of their life is as black and white as that. They are always playful with one another, always playing tricks on one another. They encouraged us to have fun with that."

Nothing funnier than contradiction, right?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Not the Nine O'Clock News but I've only seen the "greatest hits" episodes so the rest of it was probably bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think season one of Futurama is still very good because they had about a decade of Simpsons experience by that point. I'm sure someone will correct me but off the top of my head I can't think of any really terrible episodes of Futurama from the first season. Looking at the list, the only one I think is a weaker story is "My Three Suns".

(My favourite episodes are all in season three.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Other than characters whose actors died, are there any characters who were really big in early Simpsons who have just faded away or disappeared with the passage of time?

Like, in early South Park, characters like Officer Barbrady, Stan's Uncle Jimbo and Dr Mephesto are prominent supporting characters, but they haven't been now for years and years.

Characters who feel like relics of the early years, I suppose, whose presence in an episode alone reminds you of how old it is.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 17, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

swickles posted:

Barbrady figured heavily in a season or two ago.

Fair enough - I haven't seen any of the last few years of South Park (never really felt like sitting down and watching the serialised ones).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I have also never seen a Star Wars film.

Now I know this isn't true because I distinctly remember you said in BSS that you didn't like Last Jedi. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's usually "critics hate it, fans love it" but does it often go the other way?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Star Wars, the trailer for the new cartoon is out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know virtually nothing about Jersey Shore but I'd heard about the Situation, which sounds like a nickname he gave himself rather than one he got from other people. Which is it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

esperterra posted:

It's a nickname for his abs, becuase they're so ripped up he has a situation going on down there.

Almost definitely gave it to himself.

See, to me, "the Situation" sounds like an Asher Roth parody character who's a suspect in an episode of SVU.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

So I'm wondering who they'll cast in the Golden Girls reboot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Plz tell me how amazing hair and glam rock were.

Ziggy Stardust is a pretty good album.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I said 20 years or so up to the 2000s. 1972 is 28 years prior and thus exempt from my comment.

My mistake.

There's not really any mainstream rock music I find especially exciting the past 20 years ago. Foo Fighters are usually fine but they're getting close to being a 30 year old band.

I'm reminded of Alice Cooper saying nearly 10 years ago that he thought Katy Perry and Lady Gaga are better rock stars than most actual rock artists because they have more personality, while most rock stars a) dressed like lumberjacks; and b) came off like the idea of being a rock star embarrasses them.

Somebody like Kanye is more of a rock star than, say, Chris Martin. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just remembered when Billboard reported Mumford & Sons having a number-one album with the headline "ROCK RULES THE CHARTS".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

asecondduck posted:

My first concert as a teen was Nickelback (I won free tickets from a radio station without realizing what the prize was) and while even back then I knew their music sucked I have to admit they did put on a darn good show, with tons of pyrotechnics, moving around the stage, audience interaction, lasers, etc.

Man, I think "Rockstar" by Nickelback is my least favourite hit song of the past 20 years. There are worse ones but I can't think of one I like less.

Most of my favourite new music of the past decade or so is stuff I discovered via the Craig Charles Funk & Soul Show on BBC Radio 6. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Music/television crossover fact: today is five years to the day that Miley Cyrus twerked against Robin Thicke at the MTV awards.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

So you just don't like rock music

They evoke the wild, shirtless lyrics of Mark Farner, the bong-rattling bass of Mel Schacher and the competent drumwork of Don Brewer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah see that's what I mean. You can't just say everything with a guitar in it is rock, that's way too wide an umbrella. Sure there was some good music, but hardly any that I'd call like, good ol' fashioned Rock and Roll.

Sure, Bob Seger was saying that in 1978. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
JD McPherson had a really good roots rock album out just last year but you wouldn't know because it didn't get played on the radio. And I enjoyed that Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats album that came out earlier this year; he has a band that knows how to swing. Vintage Trouble are another good band from within the last decade. And of course you can't beat a bit of Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings. They're a soul band but they know how to swing. That's very important.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 25, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All that being said, my favourite singer is actually Mel Tormé.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I'm genuinely amazed that throughout the whole #MeToo campaign, none of the usual suspects have gone, "Never forget Fatty Arbuckle! :qq::qq::qq:" to try and downplay the bad stuff all these guys have done, but I suppose nobody remembers who Fatty Arbuckle was. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

esperterra posted:

Hope it's a great season for her, though, I wish she'd get an Emmy for it already but it's weird to try and slot her in as a comedic lead when her biggest strength on the show is the dramatic stuff they give Fiona-- not to say she isn't funny as heck, too.

It's crazy how that Emmy has been given to Julia Louis-Dreyfuss every single year for the past six years or so.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

It's ridiculous that the Jack Ryan character goes on to become a history professor, stock market trader, and then the president of the USA.

According to Wikipedia:

quote:

The son of a Baltimore police detective and a nurse, Jack Ryan is a former U.S. Marine who became a history teacher at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. Ryan later joins the Central Intelligence Agency, as analyst and occasional field officer, eventually leaving it as Deputy Director. He later served as National Security Advisor and Vice President before suddenly becoming President of the United States following a terrorist attack on the United States Capitol. Ryan went on to serve two non-consecutive terms and mostly dealt with international crises in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia.

He also has a knighthood from the time he rescued the Prince of Wales from kidnappers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They do something similar with Linda Hunt's character in NCIS: Los Angeles.

Wikipedia posted:

According to Hetty's NCIS Personnel File, which is accessed by Nell and appears on-screen in the Season 2 finale, "Familia",[3] Hetty:

currently holds the position of OSP Operations Manager;
attended the Defense Language Institute and is fluent in Russian, German, Mandarin, Spanish, Czech, Romanian, Hebrew, Arabic, Hungarian, and Pashto;
earned a Master of Fine Arts degree from the Sorbonne;
is a graduate of the Ecole de la Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne;
is skilled in Hapkido, Wushu, and Eskrima;
won a Bronze Medal competing in the Small-Bore Rifle event at the 1964 Summer Olympics, held in Tokyo, Japan (in real life, this event was not held at the 1964 Olympics);
is a recipient of the Defense Intelligence Agency Award of Merit and a CIA Intelligence Star;
is a member of the Order of Orange Nassau;
had a prior career in motion picture and stage costuming;
is a published novelist;
is a pilot;
holds the Women's Senior Division record for the ascent of K2; and
was born on February 29, 1948.[4]

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I assume it's partly comedic. I am reliably informed (my mother and sister never miss an episode) that NCIS: LA is "the funny one".

What shows are in the Donald P. Bellisario's NCIS Shared Television Universe (the "DPBNCISSTVU" if you will)? There's JAG, NCIS, NCIS LA, NCIS New Orleans, the Hawaii 5-0 remake, the Magnum PI remake - any others?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 31, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't it Clive Cussler who writes himself into his novels showing up to give the characters advice or explaining where the final clue they need is?

Surprised nobody's tried to do Dirk Pitt as a tv show. Sure, it's failed twice as movies, but Hollywood's never let that stop them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't realize criticizing 50+ year old pulp novels was considered edgy. If you want, I can blow your mind with my searing critique of I Love Lucy.

Rex Stout is better than most of the Golden Age detective novelists from England.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Regy Rusty posted:

Rex Stout is indeed better but that doesn't mean Christie also isn't great.

Indeed not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Flash Forward, The Event, The One Where Electricity Don't Work, what else

Vanished, Terra Nova, Alcatraz etc.

One show from that era cancelled after one season that should have continued: Kidnapped, with Jeremy Sisto and Delroy Lindo.