Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

raditts posted:

I thought the first two were kind of lousy, but the one that came out yesterday was great. I was somewhere in the audience for the recording of that one!

He went on for quite a while about the backlash to his trans jokes from the earlier Netflix specials. It definitely seemed like he realized how it was taken and somewhat rephrased the tone and tenor of his jokes to address it. He also went in on Trump pretty hard without sounding super political but more of a "this poo poo is loving insane"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

Chappelle defends Louis CK in his most recent special and calls out on of his accusers.

Way to completely miss the point. I assume you mean the person who said the experience ended her dream of being a comedian and his follow up was to mock the idea that someone's dream could be so easily squashed if it really was their "dream"

He was still 100% that Louis CK was in the wrong but that the allegations were hilarious as gently caress to read about when you knew him. The only little support bit was Chappelle saying "did they really have to take everything from him? Was he really as bad as Weinstein etc?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

swickles posted:

This feels like they read a headline somewhere and didn't bother reading the story or try putting it into context.

I watched both specials but I could already imagine all the clickbait articles about how he was supporting Louis CK or attacking victim etc.

He really emphasised on multiple occasions that his comedy is meant to be funny and make people laugh, and sometimes its mean but its always funny until it happens to you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

Notice how often he says “I” or “me.” Notice how he low-key blames everyone else for misinterpreting him with his “monsoon of negativity” comment. Notice how he brags about his views and his work ethic. Notice how HE HASHTAGS THIS poo poo. “Well, it seems I’ve grossly disrespected the dead with my latest wacky YouTube video, clearly I need to make sure to remember THE BRAND.”

He's pretty tone deaf and self absorbed, to an insane degree. He ended up doxxing Post Malone when he saw that Malone ordered some of his merchandise, so he videotaped himself driving to the house listed on the receipt and delivering personally, in the process showing the entire world where Post Malone lives.

There was a way to handle the suicide forest situation, and it would've been at least to cut the video feed and just keep the audio if you wanted the reactions and then do some talking head stuff or narration about what they saw and how it affected them. Even though he's all contrite and apologizing he 100% knew it'd go mega viral or whatever the equivalent is nowadays.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

False posted:

Amateur questions but can I watch the new Twin Peaks having seen only a few eps of the original (GF has already seen the original and doesn't want to rewatch it? Similar question, can I skip Mr. Robot Season 2 if I saw 1?

Skipping huge parts of OG Twin Peaks? Holy gently caress no, not at all.

There are several schools of thought about watching order and what can and can't be missed, but you need to see the entirety of Season 1, most of season 2, and absolutely the Fire Walk With Me movie. At bare minimum, everything David Lynch had hand in from S2 and some of the less bad episodes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jesus what a loving ego. It's one thing to push back against criticism, but yelling about how young and hip you are and nobody cool would ever bother listening to your critic makes it really hard for people to take you seriously.

It's not enough that the whole Aziz Ansair thing is polarizing as gently caress, but even the author herself is now stepping into it and making it worse when any competent journalist or PR rep would say "Don't loving do this, just say you stand by everything in the article".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

swickles posted:

If you just jump in head first and accept that Bright is a Lord of the Rings sequel set 2000 years later, its actually a fun movie.

As hard as the media went negative against the movie, it was pretty much a straight up popcorn movie that probably would've done really well at the cinema. Netflix has been poo poo talking the critics pretty heavily in the last 24 hours as being detached from what makes something commercially popular.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Popelmon posted:

American Vandal!

Stranger Things S2
Godless
Castlevania (only 4 episodes, a fun watch)
Longmire
Bloodline
Black Mirror
The Crown
Travelers
Punisher (waaaay different then you'd expect from the trailer, more slow burn then shoot outs every episode)
Mindhunter
Frontier (Jason Momoa as a hard rear end frontier hunter fighting a terrorist war against the Hudson Bay Company)
White Gold

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Huh, so Suits was renewed for another season but they're going to have to retool it as Patrick Adams will not be returning (and obviously Meghan Markle is leaving too.) Personally I tapped out two seasons ago when it seemed like they really weren't interested in advancing anything and were just once again rehashing all the stuff with Mike.

They've got a pretty solid side cast they could do a lot with. The whole Mike Ross main plot started to fizzle pretty hard in season 3 and just kept kind of dragging the show down from a ton of other really interesting plots. Plus, its not like the show isn't going to get millions of dollars of free publicity when every article about the new Duchess mentions her starring role on Suits.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I bet Katherine Heigl is involved because she has nowhere else to go.

Isn't she legendarily hard to work with? What reason compels people to keep hiring her?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Welp, I just learned Michael B Jordan was in the Wire.

Also Friday Night Lights.

Of small time actors I've known about for 10+ years Micheal B Jordan is easily one of the best. Not even starring in that disaster Fantastic 4 movie could slow him down one he got some name recognition.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Someone make a Looming Tower thread please.

It's mind boggling that before 9/11 the entire FBI only had 8 arabic speakers and only 1 in New York City. If the showrunners intended to make me hate the CIA then they are doing a great job. All the CIA people are smug assholes.

Going back to people's stories from the culture at the time there was intense rivalry between the FBI and CIA and apparently so extreme that the CIA was withholding information about possible terrorist attacks from the FBI and/or not releasing it because of dozens of petty managers refusing to cooperate across departments.

Like, after the Cold War all there was to do was just cling to a petty fiefdom and make life difficult for people you didn't like since the big threats were gone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I really hate it when the DA loses a case on L&O. I know its realistic but it is still such a lovely feeling.

Also it is really goofy watching it on WE because you see commercials for the really bizarre incestuous reality TV landscape they have. Its just shows feeding into other shows feeding into their own spin offs. One I saw was a show called "Mama June from Not to Hot."

Maybe for L&O classic but on SVU its so comical and contrived and seeing the DA get blindsided and stunned is better then a victory.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nobody. Murphy Brown was weird in that it was HIGE when it was out and completely forgotten as soon as it went off the air.

This applies to so many shows is almost shocking. Of the all major hit shows every year, maybe 1-2 would ever gain enough buzz to become cult favorites or last long enough and be good enough to get serialized and actually get viewers.

The AMCs seem to be the exceptions, because Mad Men, Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad were cultural moments that came to re-define the idea of a prestige drama in the wake of The Sopranos and will probably hold up better then any of the big network shows of the last 10 years. Actually, once you think about it, it's many of the HBO produced shows and the ones that followed in that format that stand above the rest.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Was in a Half Priced Books and saw this book from 1977, and didn't realize it wasn't just a Arrested Development joke:

https://www.amazon.com/My-Name-Not-Bob-Loblaw/dp/0879490713

Its the show that keeps on giving.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I like it a lot. David Chang complains a lot about white people though.

There was way more discussion of race and how its affected food and cuisine in the US then I expected. It was still good and at no point did it seem like his complaints were petty or unfounded, just a general dissatisfaction with the trend for white people to see non-white cuisines as confusing or weird.

The little focus group with the people claiming they'd get intensely ill from MSG and then feeding them a bunch of MSG loaded processed snacks was pretty funny. It does highlight how people tend to see the "foreign" food as the source of their sickness if they get sick like that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Everyone wants to "call it" in the threads for shows with mysteries. Those are always the worst threads. Legends of Tomorrow thread is the best.

True Detective S1 was also pretty notorious for this.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gonz posted:

Gotham season finale lookin' sick as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut2SioiMDbA

It is a triumph of talent that Cameron Monaghan turned out to be so good in his original bit part that he transitioned to full cast and the show ended up almost revolving around him.

I've read that allegedly he wasn't supposed to be the Joker or anything similar, but that a running season plot would be Joker-likes that did crazy and insane things but were all separate people.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Are we now living in a world where billionaire CEOs will literally be like "No, I like that show, buy it and lets get it back on air!"

I'm kind of okay with that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

esperterra posted:

Lafayette is my waifu

His character was supposed to die in season 1, but the actor was so good in the role they decided to expand his role and keep him on.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I will watch Supernatural one day.

There's just so much of it.

Season 1-5 are the entirely of the original, core story. Show was a runaway success so it led into season 6.

Season 6-13 are mild-good at best. Some great, some incredibly bad. With the threat of maybe not getting a new season always over their head until season 11ish it was basically "new story, finish up by the end of season with a hook to the next". By season 8 they found their footing again and it pretty much settled into a routine to maintain a decent level of quality.

Even as someone who's been following since midway season 6, I'll just take a break sometimes and not watch for a few weeks, and then catch the new episodes and just enjoy what's going on and figure out the missing pieces from context.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Medullah posted:

You all talking about Goggins forgetting his Emmy worthy role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoBAzn1QmCo

That is the one Goggins' role that you can obliquely hint at and anyone who's ever seen it will instantly remember.

Like, you'd think it would be a cheap trashy one-off character but he delved into it so deeply and was so charismatic that of course he'd get called back for more.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, CW is basically Superhero soap Operas: The Network now?

Flash and Arrow have shifted wildly in quality over their last 2 seasons and I'm really wondering how long either can last. Arrow in particular went from possibly the best ever in season 6 to some completely nonsensical directions for season 7.

Legends of Tomorrow is the outright best now since the focus is essentially comedy with a thin veneer of drama rather then the hard dark drama they started with at the beginning with the Hawk people and Savage.

Black Lightning is a great start to a franchise and can stay around if they maintain the quality of the writing. The overall theme of a "retired" hero coming back works a lot better then a origin series, especially if they maintain his focus on improving the community is his capacity as the principle.

Supergirl exists I guess? Season 4 is coming up but I haven't heard anything especially positive or negative about it aside from wedding plotline that went nowhere.

It really depends where they want to position the Batwoman show. Is it going to be charming but then constantly bleak like Flash? Super dark and gritty like Arrow? Or a casual fun romp more in the vein of Supergirl/LoT. Even making it a super serious soap opera like Vampire Diaries it could still do well off the strength of the cast.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

precision posted:

it's been a long time since I watched KOTH and I forgot how transcendentally hilarious it often was.

It's funny that it was the same time as the greatest then decline of the Simpsons but KOTH on a whole is almost perfect.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I've never seen The Last Ship and don't know much about it but it seems really unfortunately placed right around the time period where weird stories of rogue government crisis' crises and poo poo got way more serious.

edit: I'm bad at english.

The first season was played completely serious and straight, with nothing but a grim depressing outlook for the future of society, then by the finale of s1 it goes in a completely insane direction and by that point embraces being nothing but a fun campy show with the drama dialed up as high as they can.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

There was of course a flurry of tweets about this, and many more to come. I really don't think the people hyping up the women he victimized as denied great artists who's entire career and future was cut short are really doing anything to advance their cause. Why isn't it enough to just call him out as a serial sexual abuser and predator who used his influence to hurt women who looked up to him?

That really shouldn't be emphasized as something he should pay reparations for because all it does is reinforce the mentality that Chappelle had that maybe those women just had "brittle spirits" and it shouldn't have been an actual obstacle to a "dream.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cael posted:

While I'm not entirely dismissing your core point, let's not take our cues from the guy who in his recent specials is still going "what is UP with those trannys, huh?" and thinks being transgender is a choice.

It's not a cue, I'm implying that by anyone phrasing it as "Louis CK owes these women $$$ for their lost Great Art" it lets people marginalize the entire situation by mocking the idea that every women he harassed was going to be the next megastar and one night in a room alone with him cost them their only chance at success and say that they should've just harden up and moved on to continuing following their dream.

That's not a reasonable outlook to take from the situation, especially as a better response to the people saying "He did his time, give him a chance to make a livelihood again" would be no, he didn't, he's still rich and never faced legal consequences for what he did.

People have been branded as sex offenders for getting caught pissing in public. By every legal definition Louis CK should be a registered sex offender.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

I realize that exists, and as I'm not a big Aziz fan, I didn't follow the story all that closely. I just remember the general takeaway that people weren't happy with the website that posted it because they tried to make it super scandalous and it seemed that people could use it for a "me too goes too far" argument. I'm not arguing that is the case, I'm just saying that was my takeaway from it 6 months ago or whenever it broke.

When some older female talking head on CNN or something lambasted the article the auhtor went on a tired about her being an unpopular old hag with terrible fashion sense and bad hair.

Maybe it was more nuanced then that, but it was a extremly unprofessional response to your writing being criticized.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Jesus christ what is the budget going to be.

It's going to have to be GoT or higher. Since the day they've announced it Cavill has pretty been telling anyone who would listen that he'd take the part without any hesitation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

X-O posted:

Just from that clip it looks like one of those situations where he knew he was in a poo poo film and just made a decision that this was how he was going to play it. And I love when actors do that.

Coincidentally it reminds me of Raul Julia going full ham in the original Street Fighter. Raul Julia knew what he was in and knew what he was doing.

There's also the fact that everything around the production of Street Fighter was insanely mismanaged and poorly handled. I think the actor hired to play Ken had no martial arts experience at all and when he showed up they had to stop production for weeks while he got a crash course in movie fighting. JCVD was coked out of his mind half the time and changing things left and right, and Raul Julia was there to make a fun video game movie because he knew his son would love it.

But the moment he got on set, the signs must've been everywhere he looked that the movie was going to be a disaster and the best thing to do was go all in and just command every scene he was in.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I don't see it being any more than Netflix or Hulu. Maybe tiers if you want no ads or something.

Disney has a chance to brand their streaming service as a essential entertainment platform that has no competition. If they put up their entire Disney media library including the old school Mickey Mouse cartoons tens of millions of people will rush to subscribe. Even people with Netflix and Hulu and Amazon Prime.

Unrelated: Season 4 of the good wife is just a ugly bump in the road and its gets better, right? I'm almost impressed with how completely terrible the characters, writing, and plots are for this season

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

He needs to play Picard in the style of CIA Director Avery Bullock.

Isn't he on record as saying it's one of his favorite/most fun roles he's ever done?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

So, did I read this right? The good cop is a show about a rare kind of cop, who isn't quite as corrupt. This promptly gets him framed, so his dad has to bail him out with real policework (tm)
That sounds atrocious.

That's not even remotely accurate. This is one of the few shows I've seen that doesn't fellate the notion of cops breaking the rules to get justice as being a 100% positive thing.

It's basically a early 2000s USA style procedural focusing on the characters and their relationships rather then tightly scripted drama. There's little to no overarching plot (aside from the mysterious hit and run death of the wife) and its just Tony Danza being Tony Danza and Josh Grobin doing a serviceable job as a put-upon clean cut golden boy Lt Detective who has to live with the reality of this father having been the most corrupt cop in history.

Aside from Tony the other major source of comedic relief is Clay Davis as the detective who's number one rule is "I don't run".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

IRQ posted:

Either that or whatever the hell Riverdale is.

I can see NBC trying to capture the word of mouth buzz Riverdale gets by going for anachronistic dark versions of the campy 50s/60s sitcoms.

Its not like anything else they made in the last 5 years has become a cultural icon. Even This Is Us started getting ignored super quickly after the gimmick got stale.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

The Robin Williams episode is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

If it had been anybody other then him, then yes I'd agree. He made that terrible plot worth watching with enjoyment.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It's kind of weird, I watched the first five seasons of Supernatural and then had no desire to actually continue.

S6: odd one out, since they had to figure out what to do after finishing the main story, lots of random monsters and mythos stuff brought up and likely never returned to
S7: introduces new ultimate bad guys, resolves plot by the end but with the typical Dean/Sam split up ending
S8: Heaven tablets, more mystical Heaven stuff with prophets, big betrayal to set up S9
S9:Backlash from S8, lots of betrayal and deception, have to find a new ultimate weapon that has severe consequences for Dean, splits the bros up again
S10: Backlash from S9 ending, causes chaos, trying,to fix it makes it worse, ending reveals a new ultimate bad guy
S11: Follows up new ultimate enemy from s10, God finally shows up, ending introduces new human enemies who are apparently a threat
S12: Mysterious secret society feuds with the bros, some Lucifer shenanigans, introduces new ultimate character
S13: new ultimate character takes center stage, alternate world is discovered, travels back and forth, Angel shenangians ends with the bros split up again

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Very stupid is an apt description.

It's like a deliberate attempt at making avent garde art in the form of anime. The original source material is bleak and dark as hell which made it famous at the time, but in 2018 this take on "God isn't actually good" has been done to death and trying paint a coat of deep, meaningful philosophical thought over gross out violence porn doesn't really work.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Basically. When he gives a poo poo he always nailed it and he gave a poo poo on this one. It’s a lot of dumb jokes but he cracks on a bunch, which I think is why this works. It’s stuff he thinks is funny instead of a way to milk money out of a studio.

When he did that movie about a fading comedian with cancer with Seth Rogan he said in interviews he started touring again to get in the character's mindset and was so bad at first he was reading off loose pages he kept and by the end he was writing tons of new jokes and performing his routines from memory.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
How desperate is AMC to cling to Walking Dead that they think a movie trilogy for their main actor is a good idea? Didnt Andrew Lincoln want out or did they throw an insane amount of money at him?

At one point they had Mad Men, Hell on Wheels, TWD, Breaking Bad running at the same time. BCS turned out amazing despite the initial problems but its starting to seem like AMC isnt an serious Emmy contender anymore with their current schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

The thing I love most about the incoming streaming collapse is that everyone has forgotten that piracy is still easier than ever.

Disney probably has a secure plan, if they stream all the stuff they own even in rotating cycles they'll make a huge profit.

Netflix, maybe they take a hit and start thinking they need to either go all in on original content or try to ride it out and wait for all the other network specific services to fizzle out.

Aside from Hulu and Prime Video I cant see anything other network specific services taking off and gaining momentum. Especially the CW, they host their entire current line up on Netflix and people can binge up to the current season and then starting watching live(maybe) so why would they spend the money to create and maintain their own streaming service?

Greed maybe, but even if the Big four networks pull all their IPs from Netflix its still got tons of other shows and documentaries, comedy specials etc. that those services cant really provide. Just look at Apple TV with Tim Cook shutting down the attempts to make a dark and gritty crime show.