Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lurdiak posted:

Season 2 of Broadchurch would be a lot better if it wasn't for these two morons from the previous case who keep standing around dramatically, yelling, and having angry sex. I keep hoping the one that's obviously the murderer kills the other so they'll be in fewer scenes.

I skipped the second season of Broadchurch entirely when the murderer from the first season plead not guilty in the trial. Third season was okay though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

zoux posted:

I mean he's been talking poo poo about "snowflakes" and "sjws" online for a while now
Doesn't Shatner farm his twitter out to a social media manager? Shatner's an rear end in a top hat, that's well documented, but I wouldn't necessarily cite his twitter as proof of that, beyond hiring assholes to run it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

no one has posted the Ringer article about best TV episodes in here? Discuss away!

My biggest beefs:

*the Top Chef episode listed is entertaining TV, which I suppose is the point, but it's such a terrible representation of the show that it's kinda insulting to say it's the best. It literally almost killed the entire show dead.
*Parks and Rec's finale is not the best episode of the show, as much as I enjoy it. It feels more like an epilogue than anything
*WHERE THE gently caress IS HANNIBAL?!?!?

Where the gently caress is Veronica Mars? I'm not sure if the Justified episode they chose was the best (I think Decoy is better), but it was from the best season. And I'm not sure if they got the right episode of The Americans.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I liked their list of irrational number one episodes more. In part because it meant on his podcast today talking about the main list I got to hear Bill Simmons try to pronounce Haruhi Suzumiya, which was an adventure.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

hahaha what even IS this ringer website? drat there’s a lot of garbage on this list
It's the pop culture site Bill Simmons founded after was fired from ESPN. A bunch of the site's writers and editors came from his previous vanity site at ESPN called Grantland.

Sirotan posted:

ER made it onto that list but somehow they did not pick the episode where Lucy gets stabbed to death, smdh

Huh, I was convinced that episode aired in the 90's, and wasn't eligible, but nope 2000.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And s5 was just bad.

Fringe has one of my all time favorite series finales.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

There's that short bit with Walter and Peter on the street, and Walter tells Peter he remembers everything from the previous timeline and they hug and that payoff was so wonderful.

It did such a good job of paying off everything from "Astrid is a beautiful name" to the white tulip at the end. If you were even slightly invested in the show it was very rewarding, and makes the room dusty :unsmith:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Croatoan posted:

Walter did some bad things

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

At that point it was fairly accurate. Rock music was terrible for like 20 years up to that point.

Unless you have really found memories of Extreme and Seven Mary Three.

This is insanity.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Plz tell me how amazing hair and glam rock were.

Why would I have to do that when there's bands like Metallica, U2, and REM at their peak? Springsteen and Petty are still forces. You've got the rise of "alternative", Nirvana and the whole Seattle scene, NIN, loving Radiohead, GnR, Garbage, Smashing Pumpkins, The motherfucking Tragically Hip. The 80's and 90's had some great goddamn rock

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

If we're veering off into Alternative that is it's own genre. I'm basing this on the buttrock of the 80s and 90s.

But Hootie sucks and DMB is the most overrated poo poo ever.
If you're only taking two lovely sub genres and applying them to the whole enchilada that's...still insane.

Mu Zeta posted:

I genuinely love DMB because they were my first concert ever.

My man :hfive: I've been to 40+ DMB/DM+F/D&T shows. That said, they haven't put out a good album in almost a decade.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

The last album I liked was Lillywhite Sessions and it's a bootleg.

I have a soft spot for Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King (RIP LeRoi) and Busted Stuff, everything else since BTCS has been mediocre to bad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

asecondduck posted:

[Edit: I would be hard pressed to identify a good rock album released in the past few years though]

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals self-titled was a really strong rock album, but that came out eight years ago. Silversun Pickups have never put out a bad album, and I love Umphrey's McGee.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

pahuyuth posted:

Oh I finally started Justified after all these years. I'm a few episodes into S2.

Season 2 of Justified is so, so good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

pahuyuth posted:

There was at least one line or scene in Fringe that directly referenced the name X-Files

It's also playing on a tv in the background of a second (?) season episode.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

You had Justified, you have Get Shorty, so my question is, where's the Elmoreverse, tv? :D

Justified was the closed to an Elmoreverse show since it was by far and away the longest lived and had the most time to mine Leonard's catalog. The problem is that the rights to Leonard's books are all over the place, which is what lead to Gugino playing Karen "Goodall" or Stephen Root's Mike Reardon being a reskinned Maximum Bob.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I finished Justified the other day. It was good. Maybe ranks in my 10 favourites all round, maybe a few places above Miami Vice.

Other Elmore Leonard novels which would be good bases for television programmes: well, Get Shorty, obviously; Glitz would probably be good for something (I know it had a tv movie adaptation about 30 years ago with Jimmy Smits, but it'd make a good miniseries); possibly Cat Chaser; Killshot; there's probably more that aren't occurring to me.

You could probably make a pretty good show around Harry Arno's character trying to scrape by as an aging bookie in Miami without adapting either Pronto or Riding the Rap.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I liked Claire Foy in The Crown, but Keri Russell never getting an Emmy for The Americans...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

esperterra posted:

If it's finally the FBI future we were promised I am way down, idc how they get there.

But yeah in general this could be a big miss lol. Excited either way to get the cast back together, whomever returns.

https://twitter.com/RobThomas/status/1042859027938471936
https://twitter.com/RobThomas/status/1042870470272380929

I...wasn't crazy about the books. Not being told from Veronica's perspective was a really weird decision.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Uhhhhh

Also I don't really care about what else was on at the exact same time. Western in space is not a unique setting.

And original flavor BSG had Mr. Bonanza himself Lorne Greene too. However, aside from the episode with the gunslinging Cylon, the Western flavor of BSG was drowned out by its disco trappings, and urge to mimic every genre of movie under the sun. Firefly, by contrast, was almost painfully overt in its Western in Space setting. The show had a high-low approach to technology that probably felt unique to a lot of people. For instance, Mal doesn't have a ray gun, he carries a six shooter (that might be a ray gun, but it looks like a six shooter), the costumes all looked more appropriate or a Western, there were even literal cows. It was a very steampunk sensibility, for better or worse. So no, it certainly wasn't the first Western, but Space, but it was probably the loudest about it.

Personally i wouldn't mind a Firefly reboot, the universe itself was pretty interesting which a modern take would probably do better justice (*cough*Asianrepresentation*cough*) than Whedon either could in 2002 or was interested in doing, and there was a ton of the world left unexplored, but I also don't really care about a continuation of the original show.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 7, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Luvcow posted:

vaguely remembered this from when i was kid so i googled it:

lol

Is that the show where either the Bravestarr or Sherlock Holmes falls through a time vortex? Because that's literally the only thing I think I remember about that show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The writing staff for the new Veronica Mars is an eclectic group.
https://twitter.com/RobThomas/status/1044429232753979392

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Was that cancelled? There was a super people plotting to take over the future from the past.

Fringe ended years ago.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Ulio posted:

Any good shows about Law enforcement? Anything with CIA or FBI or SWAT even military.

I have seen Brooklyn 99 but looking for a more "serious" show.

Homicide: Life on the Streets

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

isn't there an American show called SWAT?

Two in fact, and a not terrible movie as well.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Look Eleanor's still kind of a trash person, she's got work to do.

That along with no hot fruit are Mike Schur's two biggest failings.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I watched three or four episodes of the Jack Ryan series and so,etching happened in each one that made me mad at the show so I stopped watching it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Amanda Schull in 12 monkeys looks distractingly like Emily Bett Rickards, so I keep expecting her to like, nuke a small town or something.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Season 5 of The Americans is, for better or worse, entirely setting the table for season 6.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Fourth season, Never Again. Jodie Foster was the voice of a "demonic" tattoo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which season had the episode where they get this rapid ageing sickness which turns Scully into an old lady and turns Mulder into Pruneface from Dick Tracy?

That was real early like the second season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

They could of been a little less ham-fisted about it.

Ham-fisted politics, on a CW show? :monocle:

e: my biggest concern about the Veronica Mars revival has been answered
https://twitter.com/RobThomas/status/1052199847799877632

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Medullah posted:

I'm genuinely surprised Quantum Leap hasn't been relaunched. Though I guess it does fall under the "Time Travel" genre that hasn't fared that well lately. How about we do a double header and relaunch Timecop, the series based on a movie?

Alan Sepinwall has been clamoring for a Jennifer Garner lead Quantum Leap reboot so much he actually asked Garner about it when he interviewed her for Camping.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

pahuyuth posted:

So CBS All Access has ordered an animated Star Trek comedy headed by one of the Rick and Morty writers.

Way to bury the lede, it's the guy who ran the TNG season 8 twitter account

https://twitter.com/TNG_S8/status/718945762931920896

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

There's a few things that appear to have been rewritten and retconned but I have never watched a time travel story as coherent as 12M. I can't recommend this show enough and if you watch the entire series I don't doubt that you'll have the time of your life.

I've finished the first two seasons, just started the season 3 premiere and ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm really not feeling this Cassie storyline.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Luvcow posted:

tldr: he was having a psychotic episode while off his meds and cut his hand off

Still pretty :stare: though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Was there any in Newsradio? I feel like the writers were fairly woke or were at least willing to admit to some problems like when Catherine pointed out there's no other black people.
They made a few gay jokes at Matthew's expense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouSb9P--_i4

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

esperterra posted:

tbh I feel that's less a gay joke and more a joke about Dave Foley's work on Kids in the Hall, where he was in drag a lot b/c Foley deadass makes a beautiful queen.

Lisa being pissed off that Dave looks better in her dress than she does was a good running gag.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

esperterra posted:

But I can't help loving it still, personally.

I will defend the quiz sequence from The One With The Embryos as one of the all-time funniest set pieces to my dying breath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

X-O posted:

Now Bruce Springsteen? That one I don't get at all.

Springsteen from 1973-1984 is about as good as rock music gets, and he's still amazing in concert.