Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
With Great News, is there a point where the mom becomes less grating and boundary-overstepping? I loved 30 Rock, and Nicole Richie was great in the episodes I saw, but I couldn't get past my dislike of the mom.

IRQ posted:

But you know what ISN'T coming out in 2018?

Season 4 of Mr. Robot :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Pretty sure there was another guy around at the time that might dispute that most powerful person in the world epithet.

Also...who was Hatshepsut!? But, seriously, who was Sobekneferu?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just finished all of Hannibal in a month and I’m already jonesing for something similar. I had planned on watching American Gods, but I’m not sure there’s much of a point now that Fuller and some of the cast have bailed. FWIW, I’ve read and enjoyed the original book. Thoughts?

There really isn't anything similar to Hannibal on TV. American Gods is good and has Brian Reitzell's music and Fuller's lavish visuals, and is worth watching on its own.

Mindhunter draws its inspiration from the same sources as Thomas Harris's novels, Mr. Robot is as gay and well-made, and Riverdale may be even purpler than Hannibal. But none of those shows are fundamentally like it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HanabaL03 posted:

The third episode of Counterpart is the equivalent of “Walkabout” in :lost:

I’m hooked. God drat.

Also anyone know why the AV club has nothing on Counterpart?

People still read AV Club? The AV Club posts things that aren't food articles/Game of Thrones(experts)/(newbies)?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Danger 5 is amazing!

...season 1 anyway.

Season 2's still hilarious. New Pierre is just as good as old Pierre, and I love how relentlessly Christmassy and grimdark it gets.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There was still a lot of good in season 4 of Broad City but the finale left an incredibly sour taste for me. Like, reaffirming their friendship in the episode's final scene didn't undercut how much I myself would no longer want to be the others' friend had I been Abbi or Ilana after the events of the episode.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

He keeps lucking into extraordinary projects that wind up hugely over budget and behind schedule and then when they get renewed despite their meager ratings he drops them as soon as his next flight of fancy comes along.

The man writes entertaining, idiosyncratic TV that he's passionate about, and he's cultivated a stable of actors who take parts in his productions because he's making them. It's absurd to paint him as some dilettante when he scratched out three gorgeous seasons of Hannibal on increasingly smaller budgets, to the point where he paid for the Siouxie Sioux song in the finale out of pocket. The projects that he's on are usually extraordinary because of his influence.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Five years and now I have to change my avatar

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Bright was apparently their all time best movie and critics ripped that one. Also the Adam Sandler movies do really well too. No accounting for taste.

I probably say this every year, but I'm about caught up on this season of the Expanse, and it astonishes me at how much this is exactly the sci fi show I've been waiting for my whole life. Every aspect: writing, acting, characterization, pacing, production, SFX is absolute top tier quality. And it's by far the hardest sci fi show ever, and rather than hinder the show they use “realistic”limitations to highten drama and create spectacular scenes. I just saw a scene where a guy was walking through a ship with a lot of dead crewmen who are still attached to the deck with mag boots, so it's this dude dodging around these corpses that look like they are all still standing up. It wasn't a long scene but it was striking.

That's a funny example to give, as Doctor Who did an episode last year that mined that concept for a few scenes with its bad guy, which was later revealed to be the work of capitalism. It was a far better season of the show than the last few.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That article features a terrifying picture of Jimmy Carr. Since you've got him and Katharine Ryan, why not just call up Noel Fielding, Richard Ayoade, Jonathan Ross, and David Mitchell, and churn out thirteen weeks' worth of a decent Big Fat Quiz?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

No word, really. Honestly, given how much of a colossal cock Fuller is behind the scenes, I doubt a fourth season of Hannibal would have ever been made.

Don't get me wrong, it's never coming back, but "would have ever"? I feel like you're implying third-season production drama beyond the abysmal ratings and I'd like to know more.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Season 4 had the episode where Gretchen and Lindsay take those teens hostage in the abandoned mall, which was one of the most horrifying/funny things I'd seen in a long time.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

So it's Sense8 for straight people?

DrVenkman posted:

Just finished up HANNIBAL S3. I'm not sure why people are so eager to have it come back again. Yes the performances are great and visually it's great, but I really don't know what more they could do with it. I'm not that interested in just seeing them retell the events of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, particular since it doesn't do the greatest job of incorporating RED DRAGON.

It always walked the line, but the third season really leans on the idea of him as a supervillain, which easily became the worst part of the source material.

Yeah, the Red Dragon arc is a major stumble for the show (why does Freddie go from working at TMZ to the National Enquirer? Why does Francis work at the film processing facility if he finds his victims online? Why is he such a comparatively boring rapist/murderer?). There is a lot of good stuff, like Reba's contrast with Will, and the finale, but I'd rather the show end with Will only embracing his darkness to kill Hannibal in cold blood than actually doing murder husbands. It's weird that it came off of a fantastic adaptation of Hannibal in the first half of the season. Bedelia cut her own leg off to appease Hannibal because Will told her he'd bust him out and she's batshit crazy, and that's that. :colbert:

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 30, 2018

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: not quote

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's just one of those lists designed to provoke interest by putting really lovely picks in there alongside obvious ones like The Suitcase and Pine Barrens.

I was most triggered by the inclusion of Battlestar and total absence of The Shield on their "best finales" list.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The big appeal of Fringe, beyond Anna Torv's Tatiana Maslany-esque library of characters, is watching John Noble as a cuddly, horrifyingly unethical old beagle

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you look at it beyond Walter kidnapping his counterpart's son and fundamentally breaking their universe, like if you ignore Walter having done that, he's basically got the personality of an old, friendly dog. He's caring, intelligent, forgetful, and quirky.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

Either that or whatever the hell Riverdale is.

Riverdale is the only Fuller show to escape his curse

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

esperterra posted:

Fuller has nothing to do with Riverdale, tho.

Nah, but it borrows pretty heavily from Hannibal's look and its purple, wordplay-and-innuendo-laden dialogue.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I can't remember - did the Hannibal tv show incorporate anything from Hannibal Rising such as Hannibal's samurai training?

Yeah, they visit Hannibal's childhood home in Lithuania for an episode, and while his Japanese aunt would've been too old by the show's timeline, the estate's caretaker is played by Tao Okamoto and serves the same narrative role.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gotham is always a pleasure to watch, largely because it's filmed on location in NYC and they do a great job of mashing up the Burton films and Arkham games' aesthetics. I am glad to see that their version of Bane is just a buff version of their Penguin.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hell yes going to watch Homecoming this weekend have been thirsting for more Sam Esmail and season 4 of Mr. Robot in spring 2019 can't come soon enough

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you don't have the budget to depict multiple animals in your Beast Boy tv show, you have gravely erred

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

The previously unnamed Disney streaming service was revealed today to have the very creative name 'Disney+' and will have five separate sub-channels for the price of one. This includes Star Wars, Marvel, National Geographic, Pixar, and general Disney. It's coming out in the end of 2019.

https://www.slashfilm.com/disney-plus/

Lol at eight movies and three? tv shows constituting The Star Wars Channel, maybe Chris Hardwick can host the Talk Wars or something to fill out the programming

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hakkesshu posted:

Wow this guy sounds like a real turd and maybe we should just kind of let his work die

Let IP go to waste? People have heard of him! That's money in the bank!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So does this Chris McQuarrie guy consciously try to look like George Lucas or what?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
First episode of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel S2 is great, but I don't like that Midge is siding with her dad as he proves what a lovely husband he is. Look how happy your mom is! Let her live out her midlife crisis with a cute dog!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel episode 3 - very glad Abe has turned around and started supporting his wife. Joel is *trying* but the nicest thing I can say is that he's...complex. Rose is also totally my favourite character now.

edit: glad to see record store cat again

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, it looks like every other "prestigious" Disney live-action remake of a cartoon "property" from the past ten years