Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The LMM quote is used as emphasis of the deleterious effects of TWW as a whole.

And literally the whole article is about how TWW has negatively affected reality, most notably in how it has informed perception of the Obama administration, "brutal liberal owns" are the most highly-valued currency of Dem politicians over good governance, how it has made a bunch of people enter politics who think administrative bureaucracy is super sexy and cool over a literal life and death situation for constituents, how it has created the environment within which neoliberalism flourishes, how it presented the presidency as this Super Serious and Quietly Noble profession that Must Be Respected, how it has glorifies The Process and "noble debate", how it spreads "both sides" rhetoric as necessary, how it establishes a culture of elitism and the (false) supposition that politicans are our Inherent Betters, how it emphasises above all else respect and The Discourse that we see even now how dumbass Dems think you can just debate Nazis away, and on and on and on.

If it had no effect on the current political climate, the one that literally directly led to Trump being elected, it'd be just be a bad, dumb show all about how Rich White People need to save everyone else, especially minorities, from themselves. But there are so many seeds of the mess we are now in politically that, if not planted, were definitely watered and took root because of TWW and its cultural impact, and that article argues persuasively why TWW should be shoved into the dustbin of history.

OK, but it was still a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Timby posted:

I enjoy The Wire and think it has some very memorable characters and episodes, but Andre Braugher, Kyle Secor, Melissa Leo and Yaphet Kotto out-act all of them.

I also appreciate Homicide for showing much more of Baltimore City and the County, whereas The Wire mostly lived in the western part of the city (which had a lot of goobers saying "Baltimore's such a shithole lollllllll" after watching the show).

I'm with you on all of this. Homicide is my number one as well. And I'll add an obligatory "Three Men and Adena is the greatest hour of television ever made" to what you said.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so uh I caught some of tonight's Vikings

why did nobody tell me this show is basically anime

It's not. It's actually good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Popelmon posted:

Or in other words: the intro is loving garbage.

What the gently caress is this?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bull3964 posted:

Only if you have a Kaby Lake processor or above and use the Edge browser.

If you have an Nvidia 10 series card it doesn’t matter if you have a Kaby Lake. I have a GTX 1060 and I get 4K through Edge or the Microsoft Store’s Netflix app. You have to also have Windows 10 up to date.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bull3964 posted:

That's a pretty big change from before. Kaby Lake was required for the DRM.

There’s other requirements like HDCP 2.2 and so forth but yeah, no longer do have to have a Kaby Lake.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4583/~/4k-uhd-netflix-content-on-nvidia-gpus

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've never been a Taylor Kitsch fan but Waco has completely turned me around. Just a phenomenal performance.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, it's that good. So much so that I hope they release it on Blu/4K so I can buy it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That Lost in Space series looks crazy expensive, but fun. Toby Stephens, Molly Parker, and Parker Posey guarantee the performances will be good. Let’s hope the writing can measure up to the performances and visuals.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

The Jeff Daniels character is juggling a wife and two girlfriends.

Not sure how familiar you are with the story of the real person, but apparently they toned that down quite a bit for the show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NBC was just barely the number two network last year behind CBS. They're doing just fine now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm three episodes into Wild Wild Country on Netflix and this is one of the best docuseries I've ever seen. It's amazingly well edited and put together and the story is just unreal. I had no prior knowledge of this subject and considering the scale of it that's kind of hard to believe that I'd never heard of it before.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Finally finished up Wild Wild Country today. So there's no way this really happened right? The hours of footage and all of this so called evidence has to be made up by some really overzealous writer right? At least once or twice an episode there's some twist that seems far too outrageous to have actually happened. How has there never been a movie or something made of this story?

Yes I know it's all real, but it's just full on bonkers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

One movie about his early life, not at all about the events in Oregon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't give two shits about what whacked out views she has in real life, the Roseanne reboot was real good and I hope they work out a way to bring it back full time. It was always one of my favorite sitcoms anyway and it feels like they didn't even miss a beat.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have a question: what's the story behind the scars Edward James Olmos has on his cheeks?

I believe it was a really bad case of acne. Like really bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

The British performed Hamilton and it's pretty dang good. They ennunciate the words much more and the production seems way slicker, maybe a little too slick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ECzlMYRKLg

This is like watching a high school performance actually. Very unimpressive.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

swickles posted:

I liked John Mulaney's new special, but man its so obvious how when he goes on any talk show he just does 2 minutes from his set with the host.

That's what most stand up comics promoting their specials do.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

His new special is fantastic, too

The horse in a hospital joke was fantastic and just got better and made more sense the longer it went.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really enjoyed the first episode of Cobra Kai. Of course Karate Kid was a pretty big part of my childhood even though I was too young to see until a few years after it came out. I had it on VHS and wore it out almost as much as Ghostbusters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Oh no, Johnny is painted as a huge rear end in a top hat, not a hero. But so is Daniel.

True to the movie then as Daniel was consistently portrayed as an rear end in a top hat in each of the films. Just not as big of one comparatively.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Having access to the entire Conan catalog is something I'd never even dared to dream of because it seemed completely impossible for a variety of reasons. This is amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've seen the first but not sure about the second. Which one is the one where he goes to Japan, Part III?

The second one

I feel you definitely need to have seen Karate Kid and at least the first 10 minutes of Karate Kid 2 (since it picks up immediately after the first one goes to credits) in order to really get all you can out of Cobra Kai.

Watch all three though because Terry Silver's villain in the third one is a gift to humanity.

I genuinely enjoy all three movies.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I would imagine for creative reasons. Maybe whoever was putting the episodes together in question thought a title sequence killed the pacing of something.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Brooklyn Nine Nine was actually one of the like three or four network shows I was still watching. My TV schedule has taken a major slash over the last year. I went from like 18 months ago watching most of the shows on CW to not watching any now as every single one has lost my interest and none of the new ones are any good. So as far as network shows go I'm down to AP Bio which I will continue to watch weekly since by some miracle it was renewed and This is Us which I've switched to watching in chunks when there's like five or six episodes stored up. Everything else I watch is from Cable/Streaming.

Here's a list of everything cancelled so far this year.

BROADCAST

“Alex, Inc.” (ABC)
“The Brave” (NBC)
“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” (FOX)
“The Crossing” (ABC)
“Deception” (ABC)
“The Exorcist” (FOX)
“Great News” (NBC)
“Harry” (Syndicated) – ending in summer 2018
“Inhumans” (ABC)
“Kevin (Probably) Saves the World” (ABC)
“The Last Man on Earth” (FOX)
“Life Sentence” (The CW)
“Living Biblically” (CBS)
“Lucifer” (FOX)
“The Mayor” (ABC)
“Me, Myself & I” (CBS)
“The Mick” (FOX)
“The Night Shift” (NBC)
“Quantico” (ABC)
“Rise” (NBC)
“Taken” (NBC)
“Ten Days in the Valley” (ABC)
“Valor” (The CW)
“Wisdom of the Crowd” (CBS)
“Zoo” (CBS)

CABLE/STREAMING

“Ash vs. Evil Dead” (Starz)
“Barstool Van Talk” (ESPN2)
“Beyond” (Freeform)
“Chance” (Hulu)
“Chelsea” (Netflix)
“Damnation” (USA)
“Dice” (Showtime)
“Difficult People” (Hulu)
“Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency” (BBC America)
“Disjointed” (Netflix)
“Everything Sucks!” (Netflix)
“Game Shakers” (Nick)
“Graves” (Epix)
“Haters Back Off” (Netflix)
“Here and Now” (HBO)
“I Love Dick” (Amazon)
“Jean-Claude Van Johnson” (Amazon)
“Lady Dynamite” (Netflix)
“The Librarians” (TNT)
“Lopez” (TV Land)
“The Mist” (Spike)
“Mozart in the Jungle” (Amazon)
“Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn” (Nickelodeon)
“One Mississippi” (Amazon)
“The Path” (Hulu)
“Playing House” (USA)
“The Quad” (BET)
“School of Rock” (Nickelodeon)
“Seven Seconds” (Netflix)
“Still the King” (CMT)
“Throwing Shade” (TV Land)
“White Famous” (Showtime)

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 12, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

New Amsterdam? Uh, wasn't that the show about the immortal cop from ages ago?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So yeah, Upfronts are happening this week. I usually make threads but I just don't really care about any upcoming network stuff. Sorry. But it'll probably all be bad anyway.

EDIT: Deadly Class looks good. Love the comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

For anyone else who was trying to figure out what The Passage trailer background music was covering.

https://youtu.be/6hYPk5m6uuM

In retrospect, maybe the wrong Chromatics song, but it was definitely a Chromatics song.

The song in the Passage trailer is Running Up That Hill by Placebo. The Chromatics version is a cover. The original is Kate Bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KEEXyRL0qE

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ahahahahaha what in the gently caress

20+ shows just got cancelled so this could live?

Also since when are trailers 6 minutes long :psyduck:

Upfront trailers are not you or I. They are for advertisers. That's why they almost always spoiler a whole pilot so the advertisers know what they're buying ads on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Amazing that next season will be the season with the most content for the network I’ve watched more hours of than any other in a decade yet it will be the first season I will be watching zero of that content.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Amazon making the proper move today as it has renewed The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel for a third season.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

phosdex posted:

Does season 2 have a release date yet?

November this year.

MiddleOne posted:

Before the second season even is released?

Yes: http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/marvelous-mrs-maisel-renewed-season-three-amy-sherman-palladino-1202817025/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1010941900277178368

Spicy take David.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, I think saying that he could be one of the greatest presidents ever because he's shown us how terrible he is and has opened the doors for someone even more outside the box to maybe get a chance is a bad take. Also the part where he says nobody has been able to intellectually counter Trump is pretty funny.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zack Morris has time stopping powers and is an actual psychopath. He'd do well in that environment.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes please. I loved that series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't normally recommend TV shows much these days because I don't watch many new ones really but I have a new one I've been loving. It's called Condor and it's the Audience Network. If you have DirecTV or ATT Uverse and like political thrillers give it a look. It's based on the same material as one of my favorite movies, Three Days of the Condor, and has a lot of people you'd know in it. It's real good so far but it's also totally in my wheelhouse so that probably plays some part in my love of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfiYZ7UIWco

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 2, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Michael Rappaport gets a pass for life for his amazing documentary on A Tribe Called Quest. Seriously if you like them it's a must watch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

Luke Cage has by far the best music of any MCU production

Kind of unfair to compare any other show to one that had people like Rakim and KRS One even doing live performances in it honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Going back to Netflix chat, I've found that their original content pretty much goes like this:

Movies: Pretty much mostly garbage across the board.
TV: The very definition of a mixed bag. Some great stuff, some really terrible poo poo.
Documentaries: Pretty much mostly excellent across the board.

The latter category is what's keeping me subscribed pretty much on a monthly basis these days.