Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This Saturday Cozi added the A-Team, and the first two episodes definitely weirded me out because Face was played by some other guy. On Sunday I watched a 70's exploitation film called "The Muthers." This combination made me wonder why exploitation films haven't been mined for TV adaptation.

The A-Team was very much an exploitation film turned TV show, and no one really has done it since. With how much the plot of most exploitation films meander a single movie could totally be padded out to at least 6 episodes easily.

Then again, maybe I just want to see a show about lady pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

doesn't sound interesting to me.

I stopped listening to Harmontown a while back because he was just so far up his own rear end I couldn't take it anymore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

With Harvey Weinstein it's one thing. But Aziz is like 80 pounds and shops in the boys clothing section. He's an rear end in a top hat but I don't really see it in the same ballpark as Weinstein or Kevin Spacey.

I mean yeah, he's scrawny, but you might as well be saying that she should have given him a Stone Cold Stunner and escaped.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Josh Lyman posted:

Why would you even drink red wine on a first date? It stains your teeth and lips smdh

I like red wine

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think the last one I saw was Quantum of Solace, and I can't even remember poo poo about that one

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vegetable posted:

Also I've been watching random episodes of Black Mirror. San Junipero is boring as poo poo and also really poorly directed and written. I guess I don't understand.

San Junipero works for people like my mom, who doesn't like TV that's not a multi-camera sitcom or a procedural. It's the Hallmark Hall of Fame episode of Black Mirror

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Popelmon posted:

Van Helsing is pretty decent so far (I'm on ep 5). A bit like Underworld and I always liked those stupid, stupid movies.

I'm glad that someone else liked those stupid movies, I should check out Van Helsing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rarity posted:

...I've been waiting for this day.

Person of Interest is hot garbage :colbert:

I didn't care for it either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
NO dogs are good dogs :catbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Rarity you're agreeing with Iron Crowned? Girl you just lost by default.

Like you've never agreed with me before

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I hope you know this invalidates everything you say from this point on for the rest of your life

This thread has taught me otherwise

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Josh Lyman posted:

Scream Queens had a good pilot too.

After that, ehhh

Yeah, I thought the pilot was decent, but I gave up about 3 episodes later

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

raditts posted:

We had a Splatfest about this 2 1/2 years ago. Dogs won.

It turns out that more people are becoming aware of the sinister machinations of Big Dog

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

raditts posted:

Why was this what bothers you and not the decade+ of billions of variations on "i can haz cheezburger" and "kitteh" and other related cat memes

The dogs aren't even doing anything entertaining, they have a stick and it's apparently a big loving deal. People are coming around to realize that dogs suck, so Big Dog is spewing propaganda as hard as it can to convince people that dogs are good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

raditts posted:

have you considered that dogs are in fact good and it is you who is dumb and wrong

Nope, because I'm not in the pocket of Big Dog

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Iron Crowned being wrong is like the sun rising in the east.

You just wait, one of these days, you'll discover that I have been right the whole time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

precision posted:

mash is good tho

I never cared for it :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

I think he knew that but I didn't know they made a drill with a screw holder like that, that's neat.

:yossame:

I know what I'm going to forget to get my dad for Xmas this year!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

STAC Goat posted:

I think it's just a basic symptom of the binge watching era. You u sit and watch the same thing for days on end and eventually you just naturally get kind of tired of it but you keep watching through to the end. It's part of why I always binge a couple of shows (and usually shows with different tones) at the same time so I can switch back and forth when my mood changes or I've had enough of one. Plus I watch sports and news and other stuff. But I think reviewers and a lot of fans just go 100% into binging these shows when they come out and that contributes to the constant "pacing" or "it was too long" criticisms.

I feel like this has really been my issue with watching new seasons of shows on streaming lately. There's been several shows that I do like, but this year I get to about the half way point, and just forget about it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'd like to see a show that consists of several 3-6 episode arcs over a season.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I should have said I'd also like it to be a good show

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Not to mention the only reason the X-Files got an arc was because Gillian Anderson got prenant

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mobby_6kl posted:

I feel like the X-Files is a special case because at some point the arc just becomes a nonsensical mess, and I'm sure someone here will point out that it was always that way. But I actually really enjoyed all the shady conspiracy stuff in smoke-filled rooms until, like, the first movie. At the same time of course, some of the top episodes ever were MotW.

I think the reason that the X-Files got away with it's arc so long is because it was always thwarted by their superiors. Mulder gets close to learning something and Skinner bureaucracies it out of the way. A few episodes later Cancer Man just shows up and hides it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shageletic posted:

I'm loving doing it, Spectrum is trying to convince to pay 200+ for my fast internet and cable, gently caress these people. And my apt doesn't connect to any other cable company so they really don't give a poo poo.

Cutting the cord next month, just sticking with the 64 dollar basic internet b/c I literally have no other options AFAIK (Fios MIGHT be coming here in 6-12 mths according to them).

What do people do other than have Netflix/hulu/amazon etc, to get basic cable options. I have a hazy memory of some sort of digital antenna thing you can buy to get the basic channels? Idk.

It's just called an antenna, if you're close to a city, you should be able to get most of it on any old antenna. Check Antennaweb.org and TVfool.com to figure out what you should be able to get. If you live farther out, you'll probably want to look into an attic or outdoor antenna (you'll probably want to do this anyway unless you're renting).

If you're still using an old TV with a tube, or one of those transitional flat screens that didn't have a tuner (rare), you will need to buy a digital converter box, they're $30-$50.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bruceski posted:

My window looks right across the river at the main broadcast antenna for the city, so I just have some small $10 rabbit-ears attached to the top of my TV by velcro to save on table space (I honestly think those Command strips should be enshrined next to duct tape, wonderfully handy things). If you haven't dealt with broadcast TV before:

--"digital antenna" is the same as "antenna" these days unless you have an old TV (assuming you're in America where we changed over 10 years ago, not sure about the rest of the world)
--unless you're somewhere that gets a really bad signal, the various boosters and special antenna formations and such are going to be mostly snake oil. Two ears and a loop is the basic design.
--There are websites around to check broadcast in your area like https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps and that's a good baseline, though that'll be affected by other buildings and such.
--Start cheap. Better to get a $10 thing that doesn't work then to spend $100 on one that you didn't need.

On top of your TV is the absolute worst place for your antenna. Electronic devices put out a ton of EM that will interfere with signals. I cut my cord well before the DTV changeover, and I admit that it's probably better now with flat screens that don't have to charge up a big electron tube. When it comes to antenna placement, you really want to put it as high, and far away from any electronics that you can.

I am going to disagree with the signal booster comment, because I do run a signal amplifier, and I can certainly get better reception for some of the weaker channels. The downside with the amplifiers is that it will also amplify interference with the signal, so YMMV.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lelandjs posted:

Also, knowing where your local channels are coming from is key for antenna placement if you're more than 10 miles away from the broadcast tower. TV Fool is really handy for that.

Annoyingly enough, where I am in Connecticut there are Fox, CBS, and NBC affiliates in Hartford (the closest city), but because there was an existent ABC channel north of them in western Mass and an another south in New Haven there isn't a Hartford ABC affiliate. So to watch Jeopardy I had to angle my antenna juuuust right to get the Massachusetts ABC channel. If I tried to get the Hartford ABC channel it would mess up my reception for all the others. If the weather's bad, it doesn't come in at all.

But on a clear day, I can get over 50 channels (though 12 of those are duplicates). I could probably get better signal if I moved the antenna outside but the attic works well enough.

I currently get 61 channels from both the Cincinnati and Dayton markets, weirdly enough, despite being closer to Cincy, I cannot for the life of me find the CBS feed, but Dayton has me covered.

I was getting 69 channels, but one of the "UHF" channels recently shut down taking all those sub channels with it.

Croatoan posted:

Everything else is pretty spot on but the booster comment is not true at all. The Winegard LNA-200 boosted my reception to get about 4 times the channels I got beforehand. I don't live in the boonies but I do live in the suburbs.

One of these days I'm going to upgrade to the Winegard, but for now my cheapass RCA does the trick.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bruceski posted:

Huh. I get a notably worse signal if I put it on the table away from the TV, and any further placement to test (right in the window for instance) would involve getting an extension cable and laying it across traffic paths. My old CRT TV just had a spot on top of the case for the antenna to clip into, so I assumed that was an ideal spot for them.

You'll want to be familiar with where your signals are coming from, and yeah, extension cables. I have a feeling that spot on the old CRTs was just for convenience. I mean if it's working for you, it's working for you.

My current apartment I lucked out and it was wired for cable, so I just cracked open the box and put a splitter in it, so I have my antenna sitting on top of a book shelf in my bedroom. My old apartment, I did have to run an extension cable along some walls to get to the TV.

I guess if it works for you it works, but it's definitely worth doing some research.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lelandjs posted:

It's also worth noting that, even though I get a ton of OTA channels, the networks are usually the only ones with anything worth watching on them. I wish I spoke Spanish better, because there's Telemundo subchannels playing surprisingly awesome recent films, but they're dubbed. There's also a local unaffiliated channel that airs Indian news and movies, which is neat but they're all in... Hindi, I guess?

I really miss MeTV, which the CW affiliate in Boston carried. They always had movies on that starred big name actors before they got big, which was fun. I was excited when the Fox affiliate added a new subchannel called "TBD" but all it is is complications of YouTube videos. They air and advertise episodes of "Tabletop" with Wil Wheaton as if it's some big get and not just something you can watch for free.

TBD is definitely a weird one, and I don't really get the appeal of it. My favorites are Comet (sci-fi), and H&I (uh, it has, NYPD Blue, Star Trek, and Xena).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

Talk to the building management about running a cable to the other side of the building.

:lol:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think I saw like 3 episodes of Roswell back in the day, I just remember that Heigel was voluptuous and Darla from Buffy/Angel was the FBI alien hunter.

I think that as a concept it could be a decent show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McSpanky posted:

OR

and I'm going out on a huge limb here

the average goon age is about 36 by now and not everyone -- especially those without kids -- has the time or gives the shits to keep up with all the latest goings-on in all 500 subgenres of pop media these days.

A few years ago I was interested in a woman in her 40's who was super excited about going to an Imagine Dragons concert.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol: you have an xbone

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Josh Lyman posted:

The Fringe that JJ gave us was basically X-Files though.

The Fringe we eventually got was quite different and much better.

Yeah, I watched a few episodes of Fringe when it first dropped, but I never really got into it and the MOW was just not grabbing me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, from what I can tell by what everything has told me the last few days, This is Us is about a family of ghosts?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Escobarbarian posted:

This Is Us is purportedly a show about a large family but is basically just about a hero dad who died 20 years ago

So only one ghost, and he's not spooky?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it Milo Ventimiglia?

gently caress if I know

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Escobarbarian posted:

It is, so it depends on how spooky you find him.

I certainly wouldn't cast him as a ghost in my TV show :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Escobarbarian posted:

wtf have you people never seen Frasier before

I watched it last night on Cozi

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was actually watching Frasier when I read those posts and missed it.

I guess you're not just ugly in the morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guy Mann posted:

TGIF

Try Getting Into Frasier

I'm not really into Fraiser, but it's decent enough fair to wind down to before I hit the bed