Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

STAC Goat posted:

Oh God, that Death Wish remake that seems so, so poorly thought out is made by Eli Roth? That just makes so much sense now.

I liked in various degrees Eli Roth's first 3 movies (Cabin Fever and the first 2 Hostiles) and his Grindhouse trailer was awesome, but man everything he has touched since has been complete poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hakkesshu posted:

Every Marvel season could stand to be a bit shorter for sure but I don't think it's as crushing a problem as people make it out to be.

Oh it was a crushing problem with Jessica Jones season 1. That show had so much potential, but by the time I got to the last episode I never ever wanted to see another episode of JJ again. It is a bad show.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The Circle was bad. Also I have no idea why they changed the book ending. In the book Mae actually betrays Ty (the guy that Boyega plays in the movie), and she goes all-in with the 2 other founding partners (the ones played by Hanks and Oswalt) in pushing the Circle's idea of a lack of privacy.

Still while that ending would have been better nothing could have saved this movie.

HorseRenoir posted:

Jessica Jones was so bad I couldn't even finish the first season. There are interesting ideas and a good cast, but the writing is awful and it's horribly paced. JJ is one of those shows where they only had enough story for a short arc or a movie, so they have to keep artificially extending the story by having everyone act like idiots. JJ would have been much better if the Killgrave stuff were condensed to the second half of the season and they spent the first half letting you settle in with the cast instead of immediately going full bore with the "this is a serious show about rape for adults" thing

I'm not really surprised that there's been virtually no hype for S2, JJ was so singlemindedly focused on the Killgrave story that I'm not sure what a second season would even entail.

I don't know if you made it to the hospital showdown, but for a second I was like 'oh this is all going to be worth it'. Instead this whole setup was nothing more than a 'wet fart'.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 8, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rarity posted:

I need a new TV show to watch while I chill in bed on Saturday mornings. Should I go with Altered Carbon, Counterpart, American Gods S1 or ACS S2?

I love both Counterpart and American Gods. Honestly if I had to pick I think Counterpart is better than American Gods, but American Gods is such a different type of watch. It is so visual and fun to watch while Counterpart is so serious (but funny in its own way). Altered Carbon overall was a disappointment, and not worth watching when you have other great series to watch.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

Of this list, ACS s2 is probably the best. But you can’t go wrong with Counterpart or American Gods either.

I know I’m going to feel like an idiot but what is ACS?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just remembered Love season 3 is out today, and we all know it is the best Netflix show released this week.

esperterra posted:

American Crime Story.

Oh yes. I loved season 1, but I've been saving season 2 up for a binge watch.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rocksicles posted:

Hey, i'm 42. But i earned that without a wedding, divorce or kids. Boom.

45, two weddings, once divorce, and 3 kids (youngest one turned 18 last week). YouTube is our browse because we don't have anything to watch channel. I don't think my kids even know what Network TV is. It is either Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, or HBO GO, or the show doesn't exist. I bet they think Lost is a Netflix show.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 19, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

I was in fifth grade in 1985. Pretty sure I'm almost the oldest one here. In my defense, I'm incredibly immature.

I was in 7th grade in 1985. Also I suffer from immaturity.

Rhyno posted:

I don't think I've seen a dropoff in quality comparable to Jessica Jones from season 1 to 2.

Season 2 must be really bad, because season 1 was not that good at all.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 20, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

GreenNight posted:

He was in Ladybugs, which I liked when I was a kid.

He also was Bill in the original IT miniseries.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

GreenNight posted:

That movie gave me so many nightmares. Good times watching it when you're like 6.

Although I am older I can relate. Just replace IT with Salem's Lot.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Shageletic posted:

Counterpart is pound for pound the smartest, most interesting, most exciting TV I've seen in years.

I agree. Very early contender for show of the year.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Tortolia posted:

Yeah, Santa Clarita season 2 is hilarious so far. Definitely an improvement on the first.

I thought season 1 was better than most critics gave it credit for, but season 2 has been amazing. It has become one of the best shows on Netflix (hell on TV period). The term ‘Nazi lobsters’ will stick with me forever.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

esperterra posted:

Altered Carbon is great, and yeah the thread is pretty rough on it. I thought it was kind of amazing, personally. It's fairly schlocky but that's how I want my cyberpunk noir to be tbh, trashy as gently caress.

I loved that show. Especially after a certain character shows up.

I liked most of Altered Carbon, especially the first 6 episodes (I even liked the flashbacks). I also love noir and trashy sci-fi. The only real complaints I had was the writing, the actress that played Ortega was bad, and once a certain character shows up the overall quality really drops (episode 8 & 9 were really bad). Honestly the finale is one of the worst things I've watched this year. It was done in such an amateurish way that almost feels like it is from another show.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

I was hoping this movie was good just to piss off the nerds who derail every loving thread in every loving forum for pages and pages of increasing lame attempts to dunk on RP1

The backlash to RP1 is a thousand times worse than the book.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rocksicles posted:

Hows the wig game?
I fell off the wall around Pastor Tim and the race to stop the daughter telling everyone.

I like The Americans a lot, but I agree that there was a slight dip in quality when Pastor Time came around. Also the show handled the kids in some of the worst ways. It got to the point I would groan in misery every time Paige was on screen. They have gotten better with it, and now I don't mind her at all. Still poo poo like that is why it never made my top 5 for the year.

In all fairness many shows don't seem to know how to handle the kids, but Santa Clarita Diet does it better than any show right now.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

STAC Goat posted:

I definitely don't want to get into the D&D stuff here and any value judgements or political opinions that send us derailing. But yeah, it doesn't seem remotely out of character or off for Roseanne Conner to have voted Trump in 2018 based on who she was in the 90s. She's very much a prototypical white blue color Trump voter his populist rhetoric appealed to and which appear to have put him over the edge in key places in 2016.

Yep. I can also imagine Roseanne Conner becoming an Islamophobe after 9/11 just like Roseanne Barr did.

I loved the original, but I am sorry I can't past how awful I find Roseanne Barr now.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

most large cities in America, if you're a neo-Nazi skinhead and it's obvious, you will in fact get constantly harassed by SHARPs and probably also beaten up. i really haven't noticed that happening any less, if anything it happens more now

I have such fond memories of SHARPs beating the poo poo out Neo-Nazis at a Bad Brains show in Wilmington, NC.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

STAC Goat posted:

Or just pay attention because CBS offers me free months more than anything. I only sign up for it a few months out of the year but I don't think I ever pay for anything but the second month.

Similarly I went to cancel Hulu yesterday after my 3 month gift certificate was due to run out next week and they went and offered me another free month. So maybe I'll have time to rewatch Always Sunny and watch Handmaid's Tale like I never got around to.

I canceled Hulu a couple of months ago, only to find out that Sprint (who I’ve been with since 99) gives you Hulu for free. That’s the good news. The bad news I’m still a Sprint user (that unlimited data I can’t let go).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Arist posted:

I just watched the first episode of Ugly Delicious and that show seems great.

I like the first episode, but not so much the next episode. I need to pick it up again so I can see the two local restaurants he did here in Knoxville.

Mu Zeta posted:

I like it a lot. David Chang complains a lot about white people though.

Chang and Sean Brock are two of my favorite chefs to watch. I mostly enjoy whatever they do.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

It is being released first on Amazon before AMC, but you still have to pay $24.99 for the whole season. I am pretty sure it will be free this summer on Prime.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

pahuyuth posted:

nooo not The Gunny :(

RIP Devil Dog. Full Metal Jacket was one of the reasons I decided to be a Marine. It made Parris Island this mythical place to me that I had to find out if I could survive it or not.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 16, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Never knew (but not surprised) that he lived in Asheville.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

less laughter posted:

You shouldn't have slept on Outlander.

Outlander is one of my guilty pleasures, and Menzies is top notch in it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Counterpart is the best thing I’ve watched this year. That is all.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
This makes me so so happy

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh4-BwHgYGt/?hl=en&taken-by=michaeldorman81

It's Michael Dorman in the studio laying down new tracks for season 2 of The Patriot.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I finally caught up with The Americans this season. Overall I am a fan of the show, but I don't think it belongs in the top tier of dramas. While it does have several flaws (uneven characters, unbelievable situations, annoying story lines), my main issue is I have always felt like it is just missing something that other prestige dramas have. I am not sure what it is (the writing?), but never once have I felt that wow factor while watching it. Don't get me wrong there are some great scenes in the show (my favorite still might be in the first episode with Tusk), but it has never stuck with me (not a season or even an episode) like other shows that aired during the same time (Mad Men, The Leftovers, Halt & Catch Fire, etc.). It is like a solid B+ show to me.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 25, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

And how's that workin out

I guess 2020 will be the real test.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Season 1 of The Leftovers I dropped after the 2nd week (I think) when the series originally aired. That said I came back to season 1 right before season 2 aired, and binged it in a week or so. While it wasn't as good as season 2 I still thought it was great. Overall Lindelof knocked it out of the ball park, and made one of the best HBO shows in recent years. Miles ahead of the current HBO shows.

zoux posted:

If you like everything to be explained and all loose ends to be tied up, you will not like the Leftovers.

PaybackJack posted:

I knew going in what kind of bullshit stringing along I could expect given Lindelof's involvement in terms of the greater mystery...

I think Lindelof did a great job with The Leftovers, and I was perfectly fine with what they tied up (which was a lot) and I am OK with what they didn't (a few things still bug me). I never felt like I was being stringed along once.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The best part of the Karate Kid is when he tells that one dude to ‘stay gold’.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Barry reminds me a little of Breaking Bad in the sense that it goes to some really dark places. Bill Hader deserves an Emmy nod after this last episode.

Also I caught up on Silicon Valley. While I still like the show, I also feel like it has run its course. I can't remember the last time it made me laugh really hard (sucks because it is use to). I hope they do the smart thing and make next season the last season.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Eezee posted:

That describes most comedy shows right now. I like them enough to keep watching, but while I still think they are funny, none of them makes me actually laugh all that much.
I also haven't really seen any interesting new ones come out in the last year or so, maybe I'm missing something?

True. They just lose their freshness over time. About new comedies I thought Future Man was the funniest thing I have seen in years, and Corey Wolf Hart was the best new character of 2017.

Also NoHo Hank from Barry is currently in the lead for best new character of 2018. He should have gotten more screen time.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

Siffy cancelled The Expanse. Season 3 is the last.

Jesus Christ what a stupid decision.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

It is good to hear that they only had 1st run rights. Why I hate that it has been dropped I have a good feeling about someone picking it up.

Also sucks because it was the only show I actually enjoyed on that lovely channel that didn't have Ronald Moore's name attached.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Zerilan posted:

Just discovered Patriot on amazon prime video today and binged through it, one of the best originals I've seen on a streaming service so far.

I need you to stream this over and over. Even when you are not home, stream the Patriot on repeat. Inflate those numbers so we get a season 3.

Going by Dorman's Instagram season 2 should be out this fall, or January of 2019.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Looten Plunder posted:

This is locked and loaded for a top 5 spot on my end of year list. Amazing stuff.

Agreed. Man when this show went dark it really went dark.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

Jeremy Sisto will always be Brenda's lovely brother to me.

The final shot of him and Brenda in the series was perfect.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

The Expanse's ratings were flat last episode even after all the internet angst so...

I know it was the highest rated episode the show has had in over 2 years, but nowhere close to its max. I feel like the only hope is either Syfy is shamed into one last season or Amazon Studios. Outside of that its over.

Shame because the show is really peaking right now. That last episode was at least a 1000 times better than the usual garbage they show.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My kids (well the youngest is 18) have been watching True Detective season 1. I walked by and episode 4 was on, so I had to watch it with them. The whole biker bar to the stash house last half of it is still amazing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Matt Zerella posted:

John from Cincinnati

But I still trust HBO.

Carnivale I think was the first time a cancellation pissed me off. That said I did actually send a physical letter to Chris Albrecht of HBO telling him if The Wire was canceled I would never subscribe (this was after season 3) to HBO again, but if they renewed it I would subscribe for life. So far I’ve kept my promise.

Edit: I’m still pissed about Deadwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I mean I'm a giant hypocrite to be critical of amazon because I've been using them since 2001 and still buy stuff from them. But there's no reason they can't treat their workers and the communities they exploit fairly, other than pure greed.

Last year I did the export to spreadsheet your account history thing that Amazon does, and found out I've spent over $30,000 in the last 15+ years. Jesus Christ I had no idea.

Speaking of Amazon the first trailer of their Nicolas Winding Refn series, Too Old To Die Young, has been released. It is exactly what you expect, tons of style and tons violence. The cast looks amazing (you had me at John Hawkes).

https://www.eklecty-city.fr/series/un-teaser-pour-too-old-to-die-young-de-nicolas-winding-refn/

Edit: Refn's movies are sometimes more style than substance. Still I loved Drive, Valhalla Rising, and I think The Neon Demon is an underrated gem of a horror movie (the extra details like him monogramming the movie with NWR as wink to the fashion industry just takes it to the next level). I still need to see Bronson.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 22, 2018