Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

X-O posted:

It's not. It's actually good.

Vikings is definitely a live-action anime. Floki is the most tsundere character of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

muscles like this! posted:

Lance Reddick has always been really funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaWa4ScfQXc

My favorite part is that even though Lance was in on the whole thing (obviously), Eric and Hannibal had no idea he was going to put his fist through the desk. That momentary flash of "OH gently caress" on Eric's face is genuine because I'd be terrified if Lance Reddick's fist was bearing down at me, too.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

lelandjs posted:

Agreed. When it comes to comedies, a beeped swear can be a joke in and of itself. The Middleman uses bleeped swears (complete with censor bars!) to great effect, and the Good Place has a pretty forking funny variation on bleeped swearing. It’s actually weird hearing South Park characters actually say “gently caress” in the video games and uncensored episodes.

Holy moly, someone else who remembers The Middleman! I wish that show had gotten a couple more seasons. It was fun and honestly probably would've been better suited for this decade than the last.

I also still hear "Wendy Watson" in Noser's cadence whenever I see Natalie Morales pop up in something.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

X-O posted:

What the gently caress is this?

I try not to backseat mod but gently caress 'em up, DP

edit: My feelings on Banshee: I wish Job were my girlfriend and boyfriend

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Popelmon posted:

You guys really like this intro? The music is fine but it looks like something that someone's 16 year old nephew cobbled together in an afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwGCIbK4LSg

It's mood setting music, man. You know after that rolls, some poo poo is about to go down.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I like the ending theme to Joel McHale's show the most. I don't even mean that as an insult, I legitimately like that ditty.

PriorMarcus posted:

The main thing I learned this week is that Craig from Parks and Rec got HOT!

Holy poo poo.

If you have TruTV, I recommend watching Billy on the Street. Billy Eichner is a treasure. :allears:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Mu Zeta posted:

I haven't hated a show more than Everything Sucks in years. Most egregious cash grab of all time. gently caress this stupid show up its stupid rear end. Every single second of this show feels designed by committee. Makes sense since it's a Netflix show but still, it feels like a nightmare future where people get exactly what they want and only what they want.

Everything Sucks is a harmless show and people who have this weird, virulent reaction to period shows referencing popular things from said period is extremely weird. Outside of music, I can't remember the show doing anything particularly egregious.

Rocksicles posted:

Jeff Buckley - Halleluja

I'm glad he drowned.

:geno:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

MiddleOne posted:

Man in the High Castle is too dour and uninteresting.

Season 2 was excellent and way better than Season 1. I was hoping S3 would have an airing date by now.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

bentacos posted:

The Joel McHale show continues to be completely my poo poo.

Pizza Ghost is so dumb that I can't help but to like it. Also Timothy Olyphant is attractive as hell now when did this happen

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

GreenNight posted:

Roseanne getting massive ratings hopefully means a Perfect Strangers revival.

This already happened; it was HBO's The Leftovers.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

MiddleOne posted:

Boo. The show actually did find its stride past the first couple of episodes.

Yeah, I will never get the weird anger this show drew for daring to have 90s references in a show set in 1996. I believe it could've been tightened up to an eight episode season easily but it rapidly improved from episode 3 onward.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Croatoan posted:

The Fantastic Four were great in Planetary just FYI.

So is LIS good or not?

I would kill to see a television adaptation of Planetary, especially if it's done right.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon is making the Utopia show written by Gillian Flynn. No David Fincher though.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/19/17256416/amazon-studios-gillian-flynn-channel-4-utopia-series-pickup

This is a scene from the OG british show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47tFA5t_d_o

I'm sad that the original show never finished its story because the Fall and Rise of Wilson Wilson was awesome.

What got me to watch it personally was some goon posting the opening scene from Ep. 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VGtX9xfh0

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Escobarbarian posted:

are people still saying it’s close to real life even though it isn’t

The reason why people say The Handmaid's Tale (the novel at least) is close to real life is because Atwood based the actions of Gilead off of real life events that were happening around the world when that book was published. A lot of Gilead's hosed up actions come directly from what the Taliban and the Khmer Rouge did to hundreds of thousands, just with a Christian theological bent to it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Escobarbarian posted:

I thought a lot of the music choices in Handmaid's Tale s1 were dreadful but gently caress "This Woman's Work" at the beginning of the s2 premiere was really powerful

Yeah, that was a legit strong as hell scene. It also doesn't hurt that This Woman's Work is like one of the three Kate Bush songs I like a lot.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Kings was awesome and I'm still lighting a candle for it yearly. :( Its second season could've been rad.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I love that Dear White People is making still making white people so angry by just existing. It's glorious.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I knew it felt like it's been forever since The Man in the High Castle but I hadn't realized it's been a year and a half with no update on when it's gonna drop.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

bull3964 posted:

No one gets Sundance channel or if they do they don't know what it is.

I repeatedly forget we even have the Sundance Channel and I've watched Rectify and Cleverman on it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Open Source Idiom posted:

Look, I love Gotham, but this Pennyworth prequel sounds insanely pointless.

Like, wtf. Why. What would it even be about?

In some incarnations, Alfred was a MI6 dude that could gently caress poo poo up if he really wanted to so a spy show set in a superhero universe could work.

Or they could just adapt Grayson which was better than it had any right to be.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

esperterra posted:

The new Charmed looks somehow more terrible than the original, and the worst part is I'll watch it anyway.

I watched almost all of Charmed and while that promo for nuCharmed is bad, people seem to forget how loving awful Charmed truly was. It was late 90s as hell, even into the 2000s.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

precision posted:

Pursuant to Colony also, has there ever been a show that added Toby Huss and got worse because of it? That man is a delight in every role I've ever seen him in.

Despite my crush for Lee Pace, I was extremely cynical about Halt and Catch Fire Season 1 due to its blatant attempt to be the "new Mad Men" but Toby Huss' performance kept me coming back. It also helps that the show rapidly improved between S1 and S2 and expanded Huss' role, too.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

swickles posted:

Hyperthyroidism does some crazy poo poo, its not really that surprising.

Yeah, my mom aged like ten years thanks to Graves' Disease. That poo poo will wreck your body hard.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Josh Lyman posted:

I’ve only seen Regina King in Enemy of the State and The Leftovers but she seemed to be playing the same character.

What? Like, the only thing those characters have in common is that they're portrayed by the same actor.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Friend of Dorothy. It's an old slang term for gay dudes.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

EL BROMANCE posted:

They do a bunch of always sunny marathons from what I’ve seen in the epg. Still lame that it went up a pricing tier on Comcast.

Yeah, losing Viceland still has me steamed. At least I can watch Desus and Mero on Youtube.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I ignored Succession because I thought it was yet another prestige drama about rich white people having rich white problems but I was surprised to see that it's actually a black comedy about dysfunctional rich white people having dysfunctional rich white problems. It's odd to me that HBO is marketing it as a big-deal drama because it's fairly funny despite (or because of) the melodrama.

edit: also that opening song is a banger

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 13, 2018

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Popelmon posted:

Succession owns hard. It's basically a 45 minute Arrested Development / Veep Mashup. Don't expect it to be 10 jokes a minute but the characters work in the same way. I'm not really sure why HBO tries to pass it off as a drama, just looking at the showrunners IMDB page will tell you what kind of show it is.

I had the same thoughts as you. The show is way better than advertised and it really should be marketed as a dark comedy because that's pretty much what it is. It also helps if you consider Kendall (the main son) a mixture of Michael Scott and Gob Bluth.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

muscles like this! posted:

So DBZ Kai finally ended and something I found really weird about it was that they kept the epilogue, even though it doesn't really make sense seeing as Super is a thing. For those who don't know/remember the epilogue was a little extra couple of episodes which skips ahead 10 years and has Goku and co doing another world's martial arts tournament where Goku fights Uub, the reincarnation of Kid Buu.

It just seems like a weird thing to keep because Super starts further back so some of the events of the epilogue hadn't happened yet (like Pan being born.) Also Kai wasn't afraid to just straight up cut episodes.

The stuff in the epilogue still happens, iirc. The flash forward at the end of DBZ happens like five or so years after when DB Super takes place since Toriyama said that's still completely in canon.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Escobarbarian posted:

Black Market ep is still probably the worst tho

But The Woman King though. That episode was dreadful.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Matt Zerella posted:

I can't tell if it's intentional or tone deaf or stupidity that Succession played "which side are you on" at the end of a show about 1%ers. What the gently caress. Tfe, do you know anything about this? Am I being whooshed?

I'm fairly certain it's meant to be ironic considering the show's creator and showrunner is Adam McKay who directed and wrote the film version of The Big Short which was specifically about how companies hosed people over hard.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Mu Zeta posted:

Normal Heart and BPM are the better AIDS movies

I remember a couple of years ago, HBO had Normal Heart and Philadelphia playing back to back and that was a loving rough afternoon watch.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

esperterra posted:

There are scenes in Napoleon Dynamite that I loving love. But the movie as a whole is a hot mess, it's true. It was probably the most quoted thing when I was in high school and that poo poo got old. Lotta Vote for Pedro shirts. Lotta Napoleon dances at talent shows.

Napoleon Dynamite came out right when I entering college and boy howdy I got extremely sick of it within months.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Rhyno posted:

I was working in a bar during the heyday of Borat and Chappelle's Show. You don't know a goddamned thing about quoters.

Sir, I respectfully disagree because the freshest hell was having the whitest people possible quote Chappelle's skits verbatim to me because I was "the black kid" in HS. I didn't watch Chappelle's Show until like 2010 and I really enjoyed it but it took almost a decade of distance for me to even watch it.

LadyPictureShow posted:

When I started college, it was the heyday of Chuck Norris ‘jokes’. My senior year of HS was the ‘WHAT?! OH-KAY!’ poo poo.

poo poo got real old before it even peaked in its popularity.

In addendum to that, God how many of us lived through that ‘Whazuuuuuuup?’ thing? Probably all of us.

gently caress, I remember the Lil Jon poo poo, too. The early aughts were just awful. :negative:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

raditts posted:

In my ongoing quest to finally finish watching Breaking Bad and the Wire, I just got through Breaking Bad season 3. What a short and tragic storyline Gale has, :rip: you enthusiastic go-getter. Pinkman doesn't deserve all the second chances he keeps getting.

Gale is like the only pure soul on Breaking Bad. Sure, he cooked meth, but he was legitimately in it for the artistry and for the money to karaoke in weird bars.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Mu Zeta posted:

Someone should re-edit Breaking Bad into like 30 total episodes by getting rid of the breakfast scenes.

mods, arrest this man for crimes against Walter "Flynn" White, Jr.

esperterra posted:

Y'all should be watching Sharp Objects.

:agreed:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

hope and vaseline posted:

Meh, I just want a Shin Godzilla sequel.

I didn't watch Shin Godzilla until a couple of weeks ago and I sincerely regret not seeing it in theaters. It's one of the few films that I've thought about for days after seeing it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

bull3964 posted:

The Man in the High Castle was renewed for a season 4 and season 3 comes out October 5th.

I'm glad S3 is finally coming out but has there been any explanation for the almost two year gap between seasons? Even though we're supposedly in Peak TV©, it feels like a lot of shows disappear for longer stretches of time.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Lurdiak posted:

It was so creepy and like 10x more graphic than the love scenes she'd had with any other character before that point. The show got much rapey-er in general after that point, too. I just really don't enjoy later Buffy, there's a gross undercurrent to it.

The later seasons of Buffy got mean-spirited towards the characters in a way that felt almost comical at times. The Trio and Caleb spring to mind when I think of antagonists that served no other purpose but to make the Scooby Gang suffer that much more.

esperterra posted:

I feel the need to shout out The Body, which is one of if not my favourite episode of Buffy. loving heartwrenching and so drat good-- so drat believable. When Anya breaks down I lose it.

The Body is easily the best episode of the entire series but for some reason the end of the previous episode that lead into it is what I remember the most.

Spoilers just in case: Buffy walking into the living room and going "Mom? Mom? ...Mommy?" in an almost child-like tone when she sees Joyce dead is heartbreaking and such a good moment of acting by SMG in those few seconds.

edit: I almost forgot about Punished Xander from the end of the series:

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

That stinks because Everything Sucks! really improved in its later half and I thought it was a cute little show. :smith: