Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Dammit, my wife and I were really enjoying our December binge-watch of Justified (her first time, my second), but as of today, it is no longer available for free through Amazon Prime. I'm just relieved we made it through Season 3 last night (my favorite season with my favorite villain) and only just started Season 4, which isn't the worst place to stop watching.

I always pay attention to those lists of what gets added to and removed from Netflix and Amazon Prime each month, and I definitely didn't notice Justified being removed at the end of December. Oh well. I just bought my dad the complete series on DVD, so maybe he'll loan us the back half for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I know it was definitely gone yesterday as it's been in my watchlist for awhile, but now it looks like it's back. It's probably some rights renewal thing where it lagged updating.

Hey, this is fantastic. Thanks for the heads-up!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Okay, serious question inspired by another thread.

What is the popular opinion on Ed Pisker? I mean, Hip Hop Family Tree is excellent but he kind of looks like the biggest tool in the box.

Maybe the single best storyteller working in comics at the moment. He has an incredible grasp of cartooning, he takes on these ambitious projects, and he makes them work. Long before he was any kind of name, I had Harvey Pekar's The Beats: A Graphic History, which Piskor drew most of. I have all four Hip Hop Family Tree volumes, which are gorgeous books, after falling in love with the 2014 Free Comic Book Day issue. I can't wait for the matching oversized volumes of X-Men: Grand Design, but to support him, I even went out and bought the #1 issue, and I almost never buy single issues anymore and NEVER double-dip when I know collected editions are coming.

Mike Allred remains my favorite artist working in comics, but Ed Piskor and Tom Scioli have really risen up my list of top talents. There's an interesting podcast where both of them are interviewed at the same time. They're both Pittsburgh pals and even share a studio: https://boingboing.net/2014/08/23/tmsidk30.html

Piskor seems very cocky and brash in this interview and another more recent one (Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men), with none of the typical self-deprecation most pros at least attempt. But he has earned the right to be cocky.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Speaking of revivals, Fox Broadcasting Company President of Entertainment Michael Thorn says talks have begun with the creators of “Prison Break” about a further season: “We are developing a new iteration of Prison Break. It’s very early stages of development.”

I unabashedly loved Prison Break, and even I realized last year's new season was pretty awful. And half the fun was all those great actors chewing the scenery. Without Wentworth Miller, William Fichtner, and Robert Knepper (who I always loved in everything, but now that we know he was an abusive rapist, gently caress that guy) out-crazying each other, it wouldn't be the same.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We watched the first episode of Alone Together, and it was HILARIOUS. If you really hate vapid Millennials, you may hate it no matter what, but it was really funny. It helps that I think Esther Povitsky is adorable, though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Daveed Diggs is going to be the other lead in Snowpiercer, and he's one of the most charismatic presences I've ever seen. I think he's headed for superstardom. He already won a Tony for his dual roles as the Marquis de Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson in the original cast of Hamilton, and I saw him perform live last year with his alternative-noise-rap group clipping. He's another guy like Donald Glover who does EVERYTHING.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I loving loved the dude, him and Louis were among what I considered the best of modern comedy.

Also if Donald Glover is outed as a monster I will blow this motherfucker up.

I agree with everything you just said. Seen them all perform live, love everything they've done, and it's so disappointing -- especially given what outspoken, intelligent, articulate, funny feminists Louis and Aziz are/were.

Donald Glover would break my heart. Same with John Mulaney.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Now that Rarity's 2017 TV poll is over, what would people consider their all-time greatest and/or favorite shows? I was thinking about it and made a list of my favorites. I can't rank dramas and comedies on the same list, though.

Top Ten Dramas:
1. The Wire
2. Breaking Bad
3. Deadwood
4. Game of Thrones (we'll see how it ends, though)
5. Twin Peaks
6. LOST
7. Hannibal
8. Justified
9. Person of Interest
10. Better Call Saul

Top Ten Comedies (this was much harder for me, since I often lose interest and quit watching comedies before they're over):
1. Arrested Development
2. Parks and Recreation
3. 30 Rock
4. The Venture Bros.
5. Childrens Hospital
6. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
7. Louie (I know, I know)
8. Master of None
9. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (just based on the first season; I loved it that much)
10. Comedy Bang Bang

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm gonna ask a question about MOVIES so beware, but I saw Blade Runner 2049 recently so that's three Villenueve movies in a row that I've been very impressed by. How are Enemy and Prisoners?

Enemy is interesting; Prisoners is outstanding. Jake G. is fantastic in both of them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Lethal Weapon didn't make my top ten list for 2017, but it might be the most entertaining and satisfying show my wife and I watch. Having just recently rewatched Lethal Weapon 1-3 on Netflix (they added all four on January 1st), I like Crawford and Wayans and their chemistry even more than Gibson and Glover. Plus, there are actual supporting characters to enjoy: their captain is awesome and supportive, Trish Murtaugh has a strong personality (and is a knockout), and even Leo Getz shows up (played by Thomas Lennon of The State and many other fun things). I also like Scorsese the nerdy medical examiner and Riggs' counselor.

The plots are VERY predictable, but the show looks gorgeous, it's funny, it has a lot of heart, and the stunts are pretty great for network TV. If you like the movies, or any action-crime-comedy-buddy movies and shows, there's a lot to love.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Holy poo poo.

We watched the first two episodes of Banshee on Amazon Prime last night.

Holy. poo poo.

It reminds me a lot of Justified (which we both love), but more "extreme"... in a good way.

Does the quality stay this good?

It looks like only the first two seasons are available for free streaming, which is unfortunate.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Banshee is a great guilty pleasure entertainment that you don’t have to feel guilty about. Tons of extreme violence and nudity mixed with everything from Neo Nazis to Native Americans. The last season is a bit of a letdown but well worth watching all of it.

I hate to ask, but are there any rape scenes? That would be really triggering for my wife, so I'd rather know they're coming to be able to warn her.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Man, The Alienist is one expensive looking show.

Yeah, it was gorgeous. Really brought the era to life. I read the novel (and its sequel, The Angel of Darkness) over 20 years ago, loved them, and I've been waiting for a movie adaptation ever since. This started off slow, but I have sky-high hopes for it to be great.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

From what I remember: skip the MMA fighter episode and the episode with Hood's prison flashbacks (and the latter MIGHT be okay given no actual rape happens and dick-biting happens instead). Otherwise, you're clear.

nate fisher posted:

I would skip ahead on the MMA fighter one to the actual fight, because Christ what a fight.

am0kgonzo posted:

Seasons 1-3 are great and have some of the best action scenes I have seen in a tv show.

Season 4 is bad.

The MMA fighter was episode 3. We watched it tonight, and I really appreciate the heads-up. I thought the victim was going to be the slutty Amish girl at the bar, but as soon as that poor cocktail waitress went into the fighter's trailer, I knew what would happen, and I fast-forwarded to spare my wife seeing it. Watching the brutal fight that followed was so cathartic. It was one of the most brutal and violent fights I've ever seen, up there with the fight between Dan Dority and Mr. Hearst's man on Deadwood. I can't think of much else that would even come close.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Holy poo poo, I just finished the albino episode of Banshee too. This really is the most brutal show I've ever seen. I figured something like that would happen, but still, drat.

Banshee reminds me of Justified quite a bit, but without all the clever dialogue and character development, and turning all the badass Raylan Givens moments up to 11. It's still ridiculously entertaining, and I'm in it for at least the first two seasons that are on Prime. Not sure what I'm gonna do after that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I bought the Strike Back Blu-Rays for my action movie-loving dad a couple years back, after a lot of enthusiastic recommendations right here. He LOVED it. I still haven't watched it, though. I've also bought him DVDs of Spartacus (he loved it, I haven't watched it yet), Prison Break (we both mostly enjoyed it), and most recently Justified (it's one of my favorite shows, he's just starting it). And he loved LOST and Person of Interest, but also watches a lot of bad shows.

I know he will love Punisher because he was my dad's favorite part of Daredevil, but he hates having to watch stuff on the computer. He'd rather pop in a DVD or Blu-Ray and walk on the treadmill for an episode.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I actually enjoy the Fargo series as a whole even more than the movie, especially Season 1, which is drat near perfect. 2 was still really good, and 3 had great moments but couldn't match the greatness of 1 and 2. If you like the movie or the Coen Brothers' work in general (since the Fargo series pays homage to all their movies with subtle references), you must watch it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Five episodes into Banshee, and we have already been fast-forwarding through the intros. Now we need to start paying attention and looking for the changes, like Game of Thrones.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Kessel Run is just going to be Han and Chewie delivering a shipment of Coors beer across the galaxy.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Tonight we watched the Season 1 finale and Season 2 premiere of Banshee. Holy poo poo, so good. Loved deus ex Kai in the beginning, the posse going to rescue Hood , Brock's face turn, the crazy gun battle that ensued, and especially Brock shooting the bazooka guy dead-on in the head, only to have him turn and shoot the other henchman with the bazooka! I whooped out loud for that one. The phone call Kai and Rebecca made at the end was crazy too. Definitely didn't expect that!

And then... Zeljko Ivanek, looking like death! I always like him, especially as an antagonist.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

What about Anna getting her silent assassin rating for that mission. Totes hot.
Not as surprising as the other parts I noted, but still awesome. I love this show so far, and I hate that Amazon Prime only has the first two seasons available. I may have to get a Skinemax subscription for a month (or a week, if possible) to binge-watch the rest.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

The ongoing bromance/frenemies thing between Brock and Hood is amazing,

My first thoughts about them in Season 1 were "Oh poo poo, Brock is going to sell out Hood to Proctor, be Proctor's inside man, or literally stab him in the back," and "Hood is kind of a huge dick to Brock unnecessarily, and it would be better to have allies he can count on to have his back." Then I thought Brock might actually get killed for the selfless decision he made in the Season 1 finale, but then he got thrown under the bus by Racine instead, which might lead to even more bitterness and betrayal. But I love it when former antagonists have that "We're not so different, you and I" bonding moment and team up against common threats.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
And I'm just in Season 2 of Banshee so far, so I'm hoping to avoid spoilers too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Holy poo poo, Banshee continues to amaze and astonish. Season 3, episode 3 was epic: the brutal Burton vs. Nola fight that had already been spoiled for me, but definitely didn't end the way I expected it to. All that, plus Hood's escape from the fat gangster's tractor trailer of torture, and rescuing the FBI agent.

Then Rebecca and Burton had their "DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS?" moment in episode 4, followed by Hood taking out all his frustrations on Proctor, culminating in something I expected the entire time: Assault on Precinct 13, in the Cadi. Gotta go to bed and continue tomorrow!

Yes, I subscribed to Cinemax through Amazon to finish the show, and I wonder if we'll get through the rest of it over our free week.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Burton is the most fascinating character. I hope we learn his backstory at some point.

I also love Job and Sugar's team-ups, and the writers seem to as well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
At the time, Tierney was most recognizable as Joe, the big boss from Reservoir Dogs, who another character described as reminding him of The Thing from Fantastic Four.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Medium talent.

I laughed. That's my favorite insult ever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Shageletic posted:

It's such a loving scam that spectrum app isn't on the playstation network. The only way I can ever check out Adult Swim is using my computer I guess since it sure as poo poo isn't on Cartoon Network Ondemand.

I'm sure you've looked, but we have Bright House/Spectrum, and there is a separate Adult Swim OnDemand channel.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I missed the first hour, and I'm not super-familiar with the show, but Brandon Victor Dixon was incredible as Judas. Stole the whole show. I'm sure he was an incredible Aaron Burr in Hamilton.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Nobody had better come for my Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Based on his part on Arrow/LoT and his natural affinity for comedy, I'd say he was born to play Ted Kord/Blue Beetle.

This is all I think about with him. Such a missed opportunity!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Whoever said Killing Eve was good was right. We just watched the first two episodes on BBC America On Demand, and it is terrific. Don't sleep on this show. If you like any kind of spy or espionage stuff, you'll love it, plus it has some necessary comic relief that almost all spy and espionage stuff lacks (which is why I've never been a big fan of the genre). Sandra Oh is great in it, and I really like the cast around her.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

False posted:

On a more positive note - Utopia rec'd a few pages back is loving awesome. True gem of a cult-show! Great story, well done characters, character arks, moral challenges, and true horror (for humanity) with a great aesthetic.

This is the show David Fincher was supposed to remake for HBO and now Gillian Flynn will be remaking for Amazon, right? Where can we watch it (legally) in the U.S.? It sounds right up my alley.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Monglo posted:

Hey, I've read people recommend Leftovers as a show similar to Lost and just good in general. But I'm 3 episodes in and nothing in this show makes sense - unrelatable characters doing crazy inexplicable things with no rhyme or reason, everyone's insane, crying and self-destructing with no explanation to the viewer. Like, every scene hints at some deeper mystery or motive but in an incredibly indecipherable way.
Show might just not be for me, but, hey, maybe it gets better later on, because at the moments it's all over the place in a very frustrating way.
Should I continue watching?

The prevailing sentiment is that Seasons 2 and 3 are all-time great TV, but you have to slog through Season 1 in order to get to those.

I have yet to make it past the Season 1 pilot.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Had Lethal Weapon already been picked up for a third season before they fired jerkwad?

Normally it would have been an obvious choice for renewal. It had good ratings and decent reviews. But now, and especially the way Season 2 ended, it's still up in the air.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So LW is probably done as well. Great. My schedule has freed up so much!

Thank goodness for The CW, right?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I've committed to cutting Flash and Arrow and not giving them a shot until they're halfway through their next seasons. ANd we bailed off iZombie HARD. Thank god for Riverdale though.

Riverdale is such a joy. This week's episode was insane! And I saw you disliked the Ren Faire episode of iZombie, but the last two have been big improvements. I haven't been the biggest fan of Liv's story arc this season or all the New Seattle/Fillmore Graves stuff, but it's still the most charming and likable cast in any show since Parks & Recreation ended.

I've also fallen off Flash, Arrow, and Legends this season. Stuck with them until the mid-season break in December, loved Crisis on Earth X, but then just lost interest. Ralph Dibny has been great enough to bring me back to Flash temporarily, and I tune in for anything with Len Snart and John Constantine (my favorite Arrowverse characters), but it was just too much TV to keep up with, with diminishing returns.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think the only comedic actor that kills my interest in something faster than Nick Kroll is Jason Mantzoukas. They both fit into that “annoying loud douchebag” role too well.

Add on Danny McBride, too.

And I never like Kroll unless he's collaborating with Mulaney. Oh, Hello! and Big Mouth were both comedy gold, but I think Mulaney could make anyone funnier just by hanging out with them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah actually the network hinted he may be Riggs brother, probably just so the show can still be Riggs and Murtaugh

Except in the season 2 finale, they introduced Riggs' previously-unknown half-brother (who was also raised by Riggs' abusive, gang-affiliated father), and while Riggs was visiting his wife's grave before leaving L.A. with his girlfriend and her son, the new half-brother character shot him and very possibly left him for dead. The season ended with Riggs bleeding out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Killing Eve is my second-favorite show of the year so far, after Atlanta. It is SO GOOD.