Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Don't believe what they tell you on the big news stations" says the guy on the literal biggest news station in America :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BOWN!!!!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

You post all those horror-inspired Key and Peele sketches and forget how they turned a silly meme video into a twisted comic-horror short film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k-Dd71CqnM

I mean I know they're doing other, great stuff but I really wouldn't mind just one more season of Key and Peele, especially in this political climate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
just make an app that lets you use Alexa to play INFOCOM games

oh man that would be pretty fun

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love the MCU movies but I still haven't watched like, 90% of the Netflix Marvel shows. I don't even know why, I liked Daredevil S1 and Jessica Jones alright.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Daria is wildly obnoxious in 2018. Reboot away, that's some toxic, self-absorbed, overly-cynical Gen X poo poo.

The first season of Daria was the only good one anyway. Or maybe it had 2 good seasons? Whenever Daria got a boyfriend, the show went to crap and never recovered.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

Dr Katz got revived as an audio series in Audible like a year or so ago, I liked the few episodes I listened to while I had a trial.

Whaaaaaaaat?! Oh man, I gotta hear that. Dr Katz was amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

All people are horny creeps, some of us just know how to hide it better.

fixed that for ya

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
man i remember when A&E showed nothing but Northern Exposure, AbFab, and OG Law & Order. man that was a good programming schedule to wake and bake to lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bull3964 posted:

My favorite trope is the one where someone takes swig right after getting hurt or doing something scary as if that one shot of alcohol is going to do gently caress all.

If you're not an alcoholic, one shot of liquor can make you feel a little better very quickly.

Of course that's not why it's in TV shows or movies...

" Imagine a world where HEROIN was legal, but possession of coffee was punishable by up to 50 years in jail. In other words, you could run down to the nearest convenience store just about any time of day or night and purchase any amount of liquid heroin you wanted. A whole BOTTLE of heroin would be about $3. Or you could go to a heroin den and sit and shoot up with all your shooting buddies until 2 am -- then you'd get on the expressway and DRIVE HOME. Or, for that matter, where the authorities had made heroin so much a part of the BUSINESS world that, nobody closed a big business deal without having a few shots of smack with the client. And there would be billboards all over the roads for the coolest brands of heroin, showing beautiful models skin-popping beside a waterfall. And on TV -- well, not only would there be all these ads showing your favorite sports heroes shooting their favorite brand of heroin, but in any party scene, or any scene of ANY TV SHOW where people were shown relaxing or having a good time, they always were taking a few sniffs of smack.

The leaders of a world like that would have to be pretty insane, right? I mean, it would be obvious that the leaders themselves were not only heroin users, but stood to gain quite a bit from the entire population (aside from the few anti-heroin fanatics) leaning on this substance to relax.

But let's take it a step further. Imagine if these people made coffee illegal. Because they said it was addicting, and it lead to harder stuff -- like EXPRESSO. But yet untold millions of people had been drinking coffee for thousands of years and NO ONE HAD EVER O.D.'d. You drink it and it sharpens you up a BIT and then later you crash a BIT. But it was so illegal that smugglers were getting fantastically rich having contraband coffee beans flown up from South America. And there was this whole subculture of "BEAN HEADS," people who were into coffee partly as a rebellion against the establishment -- and the whole reason that coffee lead to harder stuff, like NYQUIL, was because to BUY coffee you had to go to a DEALER's house, where you'd encounter people who WERE Nyquil users. On top of that, a one-ounce baggy of COFFEE BEANS would cost like $100 just for ordinary MAXWELL HOUSE grade. And people would be arrested and spend their whole lives in jail, maybe even be executed for using coffee, which is RELATIVELY harmless, while this whole planet of JUNKIES was going scot-free.

IMAGINE WHAT A HORRIBLE, TOPSY-TURVY WORLD THAT WOULD BE, friends. Where they made a POWERFUL CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DEPRESSANT not only legal but GLAMOROUS, while an organically grown, harmless bean off a bush could wreck your life ONLY BECAUSE OF THE LAWS AGAINST IT.

But...

But...

THAT COULD NEVER HAPPEN HERE. NO, not in THIS world. NAH.... NO WAY."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I'm severely triggered that wherever that c/p came from they spelled espresso 'expresso'. Or said it out loud idk is it a monologue or stand up bit? lmao

it was transcribed, yeah. it's part of Ivan Stang's "drug rant" from roughly a million years ago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Croatoan posted:

Hey so I loved Preacher the comic but season 1 was a bore. I couldn't get past episode 3 or something. I saw a trailer introducing Herr Starr and I wanna get back into it. Any good jumping on points where I could just read a synopsis of what happened before? Most importantly, does it pick up?

Season 2 is fantastic but many disagree with me on that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

Eh. Single father with a friendly relationship with his lesbian ex, good job that leaves him feeling fulfilled, stable group of seemingly (at first glance) normal friends including a good (non creepy) relationship with his sister, in decent shape with no noticeable scars or weird facial hair. Ross is probably a solid catch until you get to know him.

The 90s were slim pickins for everybody

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would never accuse Seinfeld of being "realistic" but yeah the stuff like where they lived and the diner were pretty believable. Elaine especially was certainly making decent money, because it was the big Book Boom of the 90s, before the Internet made books illegal.

edit: like remember around '95 when suddenly every town in America had a Books-a-Million or some other massive book store and they were somehow always full of people

edit2: i actually went to a Books-a-Million a year or two ago and it was a ghost town, and the coffee bar section was bigger than the book sections

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Chandler made good money at a job nobody knew or understood.

early90swhiteguy.txt lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

HIMYM at least made it a joke eventually.

The episode where Kramer pretends to work at an office and they just roll with it is completely believable. If anything, it's unrealistic that they fired him instead of saying "We must have lost your payroll information, can you give it to us again?" :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

David Schwimmer is just :discourse: when it comes to playing a creepy awful nerd monster

He was also fantastic as Papa Kardashian

...or is that what you meant? :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
did you know that ROSS stores are named after Ross from Friends

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

And here I am never seeing an episode of Friends or Seinfeld.

I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to post in Chat anymore until you've watched "The Contest".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've still never got past the first episodes of The Wire AND The Shield

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

This is just ridiculous coming from you

I know that to be objectively true, but I just keep watching other things instead :(

Season 2 of GLOW is off to a great start. "Cheers is about an invisible woman named Vera."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Ep 8 of GLOW S2 is hilarious.

I was about to say that GLOW continuing to be great is helping redeem Kohan, but having checked I see that she's just a producer. Huh, I thought she had created it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

:same:

It's had its ups and downs but I still care about p much all of the characters and want to see them get into whatever dumb antics laced w/ horrid melancholy comes next.

i dipped in S2 and y'all makin' me wanna watch it again, especially since Rarity is one of the very few people round here that knows Sense8 fuckin' rips

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Holy poo poo episode 8 of GLOW hahahaha

I did not expect this, and uh, :suspense:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chairman Capone posted:

I really like how Penny Dreadful adapted Dr. Jekyll (and at the end, Lord Hyde) in season 3.

Welp now I gotta watch season 3.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Anyone else watching Kiss Me First on Netflix? British show. It's kind of a cross between several different Black Mirror episodes with some truly hilarious CGI for the "game world" but it's really good so far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

It seems very YA right now, but if you dig that stuff.

It's got a lot of nudity and sex for a YA show...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

YA books are sexy as hell usually. Also if it's a UK show they are hella lenient about swearing and tits/dicks in shows for teens.

you should check it out, it's about lesbian gamer girls :wink:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Seriously though it's pretty good, on episode 5 now and it's going some interesting places.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DC Murderverse posted:

or you could watch Pose

seriously though watch Pose it's like a less depressing This is Us about queer POC

edit: you will cry just as much but they will be happy life affirming tears instead of depressing tears about malfunctioning crockpots

I'm already one of the two people on here watching Pose. It's amazing. I love it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

"Nancy Downs (The Craft, 1996)

lmao no way, that's what I guessed but I was sure I was wrong

also Carmen Sandiego and Max Headroom on the wall, nice

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

But is that Jem? In 96? How old am I?

Definitely Jem yeah lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I prefer Pope Throwback and Crystal Pope

less laughter posted:

and then the movie, Cherry Pope Zero

zoux posted:

Can't wait for season 3: Pope Classic

lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ShakeZula posted:

The Young Pope suuuuucked

WRONG!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I don't have sound rn but from the text, is he defending sex monsters? gently caress that guy then.

Look man he's just asking questions!!!!

(yeah he's kind of a doofus but as said his Tribe documentary is great)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Alright sorry Sepinwall, Luke Cage in fact does draaaag through the middle. Outstanding finale though, and especially the very last scene. But imo next season should be actually mostly about Luke Cage rather than everyone else

Funny, I just started watching season 1 of that today. Up to episode 4 and it's really fuckin' good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Luke Cage has by far the best music of any MCU production

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

My head is still spinning at how everyone was totally right about Cobra Kai

QUIET!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Death Note was fun as gently caress.

Yeah even though I know nothing about the anime I really liked it. My wife has watched all the anime and says the movie was pretty faithful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bruceski posted:

Most guys can't even measure 8 inches reliably.

...because they have no point of reference?