Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'll give this a spin since TD is unlikely to work for me for a while. Setting the bar low for my first try and gonna :toxx: for 4K words in March towards a dumb book that I don't know what it's gonna be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How should I verify my word poops? I use Scrivener, but I suppose I could copy/paste into a gdoc if that's the preferred method.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

sebmojo posted:

how we all doing, fellas/fellarinas

I was over half my goal when I last typed stuff up, I have a bunch more handwritten sheets to type up because I'm a crazyperson who likes to make things harder than they need to be. Should be golden for this month.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Here's my thing for March: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LOw2mFLPiwEdYVRxP31Um6sXcbQX7SDyG_lBRfFFuqc/edit?usp=sharing

Just a little over 4k words. I still have a lot more of handwritten stuff to type up, but I tend to not think of anything handwritten as "real" until it's digital, since I do a lot of editing on the fly as I type it. Plus maybe the house will burn down and it'll be like it never existed.

Also I doubt anyone would, but don't actually read that, it's full of dumb spelling and typing mistakes, bad grammar, and just flat out awful writing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I also need to sit out for April, unfortunately. Hoping to up my goal in May to compensate a little.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm having trouble getting back into the habit of regular writing, so I'm gonna be gentle on myself and :toxx: 5k words, in any project.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So this will sound silly, but this is what a writer friend of mine does, and I've found it strangely helpful too: Start a story badly. Or write something in early on that is intentionally very dumb and bad, like a character doing something totally unmotivated or just an awfully constructed sentence or something. Then tell yourself, "eh I'll fix it in the edit." Then keep writing, and when you're worried about whether the story is good or if you're starting it right or if you're ending it right, just tell yourself "eh I'll fix it in the edit."

It's totally a dumb mental trick thing, but for me it got me over my perfectionist tendencies. "Pre-marring" the story like this kind of forces me to accept that it's not going to be right until I do some edit passes anyway, and that I may as well just pound keys until its done, since I won't know what the final product looks like when I start it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I definitely hit my goal for the month, I just gotta consolidate it since it was a handful of shorter stories. Will post word count in the next day or so.

Edit:

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 1, 2018

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I nearly hit it last month so I'm gonna :toxx: for 7k.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

fuuuuuuck I just barely made m'toxx this month.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Alright I :toxx: for 7k again this month. Barely made it last month, hopefully I smack 7k across its filthy mouth this time.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I think I hit almost 8k or slightly above, will post proof later today.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

dreadmojo posted:

, I'll have it done in an hour or so.

lol you put me all to shame, good work you ache-fingered lunatics

Is "New Zealand" English like normal English, but with all the nouns replaced with "kiwi"

"It is a kiwi universally acknowledged, that a kiwi in possession of a good kiwi, must be in want of a kiwi"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sitting Here posted:

I did three thunderdomes this month (I can track down links if i absolutely have to), which technically puts me at my goal, but more excitingly, I started a project that's going to consist of a bunch of interconnected vignettes surrounding an inexplicable phenomenon in an ordinary town.

This will be a "living" document that I update with my monthly progress. For future reference, at the time of posting, this doc is 3885 words long.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZbfdUh_CdrrDcyrSyV6Fl_4dgq5pGWrpBvpm8uS1_4g/edit?usp=sharing

Just quoting to say this is extremely my poo poo and I'm very excited to see where you go with it