Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«18 »
mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

+1 Hand
Wisps: 3 I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Grimey Drawer

A wisp flutters in the audience. A green room? Ah, that would make it so much easier to interact with this place!

+1 Vic

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

+1 Vic

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Just a heads up that I'm still here. Update is coming but it'll probably be a few more days. Thank you for your patience!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Come back I'm sorry I made you write a spy story about a prisoner convincing his captors all their allies are part of a secessionist conspiracy!

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

vorebane posted:

Come back I'm sorry I made you write a spy story about a prisoner convincing his captors all their allies are part of a secessionist conspiracy!

Don't worry, its not like your stuff was any harder to work in than anyone else's. Life just hasn't been most conductive to elfgaming the past week, but I do have stuff coming, rest assured.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I hereby absolve you of guilt, the LP curse is real and strong and bad and I don't like it.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

"Darling?"

"A-are you okay?"

"Kiss me."

quote:

The Hand has infused Tsohg into the entire dead half of the void island. | 8

+The intention is to bring Life.
Tsohg embodies Life.
Tsohg was available from Hand's previous action.
-> Empowered result.

-Low roll: The Hand falls to 0/3 HP and dies(?)
-> The Horrusk are 7/8 ready!

The dead half has come to life! A living mass. Pure. Unconcerned with illusory virtues like Thought. It can devour all matter. The only limit on it's size is the amount of Tsohg it has.

The uninverted half will no doubt be consumed.

The Hand spent a while observing the results of it's labor. Everything was alive again! Altough something was off. The space around the island was all weird and warped. Must have been that large scale Inversion that happened recently. A cause for concern? Eh, it'll probably fix itself.

(The massive Inversion performed by The Hand on it's last turn has partially broken space around the void island. The effects so far are limited to spatial anomalies randomly shattering things on the island.)

Then the island started to draw further away. No, the Hand was being pulled upwards! Too tired to resist, it's palm was quickly drawn up to Middle's edge and caught in a slimy grip.

After an intense tug o' war the divine appendage snapped in two. The Horrusk slurped up their side like a strand of spaghetti. But what of the rest? What had this arm even been connected to? Surely a spirit hadn't found a loophole around the death that gods normally faced up here?

-~X~-

Boodica and Adoboo stared each other down while Nottum tried to make sense of the situation. Things were about to erupt to outright violence before Xenon stepped in. All present were shocked to silence, letting the god's words to be heard clearly. "In a just world, Heroes would never fight." The three Heroes present all had their reservations about each other but resolving the situation with words was starting to look like a really good idea.

Boodica was not quite comfortable with returning the Worn Walking Staff to the deadnecks' custody, but in the end she handed it over. Xenon had given his word that it'd be for the best and she wasn't about to talk back to him. At least with Xenon's arrangement she and the Daughters would have free access to the Ecto-Terminal. But still, that Adoboo. Everything about him screamed "guilty". Hadn't Xenon said the deadnecks had been behind the theft of the Best Intentions? "Well my dear constable, if I'm guilty then so are you." What. The cook pointed theatrically to the skies. "Yes, just like you I stole a remnant from it's rightful holders. And yes, just like you I did it under the orders of a god. You can hardly blame me for doing it. It's not like I could have opposed a divine mandate." Never mind that Ria had never technically given such orders. It wasn't like Boodica could verify that. She had no choice but to grudgingly accept that the loss of the Best Intentions was a closed case.

At Xenon's will a great building had risen from the shores of the northern lake. The Hall of Heroes, a meeting place and a memorial to all of Middle's Heroes. A place meant to foster a connection between them all. The Ecto-Fold path would bring them together here to meet under the eyes of Adoboo, whom Xenon had just placed in charge of the place. A development the cook was quite happy with. Having other Heroes over should prove interesting. Not that it would always be in a good way... Oh great its Nottum again, wiping ichor off his sword, no doubt come to brag about his kills. "I think that was the last of them. Your, erm, village is clear of those monsters at last!" Adoboo forced his face to remain neutral. "...Yes. Well, off you go then. I'm sure you have places to be and things to do."

Good thing he had stashed some eggs in the lake before Nottum showed up.

(Some Horrusk by the northern lake survived Nottum's extermination, having been hidden by Adoboo.)

---

quote:

Xenon has created the Hall of Heroes and placed Adoboo as it's custodian | 8

low roll: Xenon falls to 2/3 HP.

The Hall acts as a meeting place for Heroes, fostering a connection between them and keeping records of their lives. Being near the Ecto-Terminal makes it accessible to Heroes all across Middle.
Due to Xenon encouraging Nottum to perform great feats, and Adoboo's Fervent nature, the Heroes coming to the Hall are pushed towards believing that their true purpose is to be the best at what they do.
The Heroes have come to know of the Curse of Villainy.

-~X~-

So this was how it was going to end? To starve in some tyrant's basement. Then so be it. Triton had long since made peace with death. He'd never talk. Never reveal his friends to these demons. He could feel them hounding him. The jailers' will to break him, but also something else. Some unseen force tapping on his head, tirelessly looking for a way in. They were wasting their time. Triton had seen the truth. A truth he had hard time putting into words, but he knew that the mind was inviolable, as long as you knew it was so. His captors wouldn't get anything out of him. His allies would be safe for now. He was happy with this, yet couldn't stop wishing there was more he could do. Then inspiration struck him, like it had twice before. His tormentors were waiting for a thought from him, but he could think of what he wished, did he not? Rather than bar out the spies, why not tell them whatever he wanted? He'd just invented the perfect lie to misdirect them.
Invented? Well, not really. The last two times he hadn't realized it, but now he was aware of his own mind and could see that this revelation had come from somewhere else. From some unannounced visitor. He slowly raised his head. The cell was completely dark yet his eye focused on something. "...I agree."

quote:

Calar has empowered his captured follower into a Hero | 19

+High roll: Misdirecting mind readers is an upgrade to calarity rather than an unique skill.
+High roll: extra traits

Triton
Unbreakable Will, Steadfast, Wise, Actor, master of Calarity

Soon the Top Brass and golemego alike were tearing up their old plans. The anti mind control crowd had been just a diversion! Proxies sent to distract the city's leaders from the true threat! But from where? The protestors had first appeared soon after the discovery of the gemego tunnels. Were the golemego precursors still around!? Was Crystar behind this?! Those goody goody Jerichrochetians?!!?!? Whatever was up they couldn't waste their time on the calarites.

(The Top Brass and golemego are chasing a phantom threat, calarites have been filed under "annoying, but irrelevant". Publicly agreeing with their message can still get you in trouble but they have learned how to live and recruit without attracting attention.)

-~X~-

"Well here we are again. Not sorry for popping in unannounced."

Sharpie's knights crowded into the room shady room. The kicked over furniture and spread evenly around the house's occupants. The leaders of the golemego. Even Node itself was present, facets still slimy from half eaten roast.

"Figured I'd pop in to see how you're taking the news that your grandparents might still be around, down there. Must be a sore subject, you know, seeing they were so much better than you." He wasn't looking for an answer. One of his knights already had his warhammer resting on Node's top, ready to strike if it tried to open it's mouth. Sharpie always wore his Mindweave around ol' Killer Kube, not because he was afraid of it's powers, but to stop it from communicating through telepathy. The golemego hated talking with their mouths so he forced them to do it as often as possible. "I never liked your attitude. I figured that you'd bring some life to the local politics. That you did. Having to struggle to keep their power has kept the Top Brass from going soft. They've really learned something from this experience." Sharpie narrowed his eyes, not that anyone could see them. "But I'm not sure I'd say the same of you." Sharpie nonchalantly ran his wing over his head to raise up his plumage, only for it to collapse down around his head again. His viscosity wasn't what it used to be. Bah, whatever. Time to resolve things here. The golemego had always been bad news. Some of the ḱnights called them monsters and Sharpie didn't really disagree with that. Not that being a monster was necessarily a bad thing. Turgid had been a people-eating beast but he hadn't been that bad once you got to know him. But these cyclopean creeps, everything about them rubbed him wrong. It wasn't like the Top Brass or Sharpie had been the kindest of rulers either but letting the golemego have their way would be even worse. The whole city would probably be reduced to Blissful or who knows what.

"Well I've seen enough of your leadership."

"Verdict: you failed."

"Morons."

-~X~-

Margerite's god given quest hadn't gone too well so far. The endless stream of lollipops flowing from the Neverending Bounty made her easy to track, limiting any scheming opportunities. At least she had caused some mayhem with her wish. Crystar kept her golemego thought police in line with sweet treats, the streets being littered with candy kept them too distracted to keep to their patrol schedule. On the other hand they were also very motivated to find the source of those treats. Margerite sighed (not too loudly, mind you) she had been hauling the remnant with her all this time. Sure it was a giant liability but it was also super important was it not? Like, stuff of myths and like. Not that she had much energy left to care. Yet... if she let it fall into the hands of an oppressive regime the world would remember her as nothing but a coward and a failure.

She threw the horn as far as she could, and ran.

(Lollipops are present in inconvenient numbers through the City of Light. They have acquired the Neverending Bounty.)

---

"Cleanup crew to the west plaza." Crystar tensed in frustration. It felt like telling people to sweep the city of lollipops was all she did these days. It was then that the god Calar spoke to her. He spoke of free will and the value of independent discovery. Hearing such accusation from someone she couldn't easily dismiss wrenched her heart. ...No. She shouldn't be having doubts. It was all a trick. A lie to get her to leave herself open. So what if she had hurt some people. She deserved some priviledges for all she did for her followers. The City of Light was the safest place to live. Her subjects lived like royalty compared to the dirty peasants below. Yet though...

She walked over to her balcony overlooking the city. There her subjects lived their lives. All of their needs met. Safe in the knowledge that someone was looking after them. How could anyone call them unfortunate? They were happy. But did it really matter? Soon enough another problem would come up and she'd need to save them once more. Was it really worth it to fight an endless battle to keep the city prosperous? Once upon time she would have said yes, she would always stand by her people. But now... She looked at herself. Even her light had faded with the eras. Would death one day claim even her? She was growing weaker. Eventually she wouldn't be able to help her subjects. Not be able to save them from themselves. She could see it in her mind. Lying in her palace, immobilized by her own weight. Being too tired to raise a limb. Forced to watch the city slowly sputter out. Watching everything she built be consumed by the selfish fools of below. Ever since she had returned from the Above this world had felt too cold, too dark. Too empty. Perhaps it was just her own failing health but recently the world had been feeling very dark indeed.

Then there was Vic, right in front of her, over the balcony's edge, standing in thin air.

"YOU SAW WHAT WE WANTED YOU TO SEE!"

How dare he? How dare he! Vic was already gone but Crystar screamed out "Silence! What I saw was my goddess and no one else!" She had been rescued. That she knew for certain. It was no trick, no play, no matter what this wretch said. Or was it? Could she really know for certain? Yes. Yes she could. What happened Above had been real. She turned her eye down towards Middle. It was this world she couldn't trust. It was poisoned to the core by traitors and beguilers.

Let them have it.

-~X~-

In the Hall of Heroes stood a great round table, and around it Xenon's champions. Nottum, Adoboo, Boodica and Negrandi. They had also extended invitations to Rav but nobody had shown up yet. Not even Clamp... Adoboo was disappointed, but no matter. They'd bring everyone over soon enough. And was it not fitting in a way that the first meeting of Heroes was between Xenon's own chosen? Then as if summoned, the god appeared before them. Vic that is.
He left them with nothing but weird little cards and cryptic words. They looked at their... gifts(?), searching for answers but finding none. The cards obviously had writing on them but try as they might they couldn't read them. The text was there yet wasn't, trying to make sense of what they were seeing only confused them further. It reminded them of something from a dream, perhaps a nightmare. Boodica feared she might have caught a glimpse of it in the waking world.

quote:

Vic has created revealed the backstage. | 12

It is something that has always been there. You can't see it, yet you might already be there.
It is nowhere, yet part of the Middle, and the Ecto-Fold path goes everywhere on Middle.

In less cryptic terms it is a place(?) that's hard to reach, and strange in nature.

People going there could find something useful. They could also lose something.

After a day of introductions and talks a deadneck barged into the meeting room. "Chef! We got the answer." That got Adoboo's attention. "From Rav?" The messenger fidgeted. "But, uh, there was also another thing, from Jerrywhatever."

"The tree is blooming."

The four Heroes froze in place. They knew what this meant. Each laid a hand on the great table bearing Xenon's symbol.

-~X~-

I recommend fullscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbqV7UUfdvg

Jvie fucked around with this message at Apr 18, 2018 around 01:23

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

The third era of gods has ended.

-~X~-

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

Woo! Even better than I hoped!

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Wow! I wasn't expecting that!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo.

Oh man. Armatur was retroactively right on the money in making the Wailing Wall - toughened antithesis of Tsogh.
It keeps the wails out. It keeps the wails out!

Excellent effort on everything, Jvie! Man, this was a humdinger of an age's ending, good job to the current gods and drat good job on that wicked awesome trailer, Jvie. And best of luck to the Middle and the next batch of Gods...

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

I'm really looking forward to the Hero options this time around.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

So hey, this isn't yet. Push it over the top, ladies and gents!

edit: Much better!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at Apr 18, 2018 around 11:20

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

It was an honour to muck about in Middle, hopefully I'll remember to stack up my wisping in future! I also have to thank orokos for all those high rolls.

e: 'd

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Aaaand we're gold. Thank you everyone.
But Jvie, why isn't the next update up yet, I can hear you asking. To which I can only say, yeah, I have taken my sweet time already. Good news is that I haven't disappeared, the game will continue! The bad news is that its still going to take a bit longer. I'm planning something different for this intermission.

There's still something we need to do to really wrap up era 3. Its the...

DIVINE REMNANTS posted:

Surviving gods: Vic: 1, Calar: 1, Xenon: 2.

If your god survived to the end of the era, they will leave behind a remnant of their influence. It's power is determined by your remaining HP.
  • 3HP - Artifact. Great, lasting remnant of your power, it can be used once per Era.
  • 2HP - Miracle. Powerful but fragile. It can be used only once before being gone.
  • 1HP - Idol. Weak remains continually affecting the world. They give a minor passive effect to their surroundings.

If your god has survived, indicate three concepts that describe the remnant's effect (Eg. Tool, Flying, Weapon), or give a suggestion for a effect what you want.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Vic's Idol: Lights, Camera, Action!

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at May 2, 2018 around 23:34

Prince of Space
Apr 17, 2016

Hell Gem

Xenon's Miracle: Shield, Truth, Reflection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Calar's idol : seeking, weapon against horrusk

«18 »