Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

In the third world-view of "I totally Forgot."

Seriously though I'll edit it in once I have the chance. They are generally considered a part of Dark Arts, but have little different opinions on things than the normal philosophers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

There was a new kind of candy being given away for free in the city square. That was all it took to motivate all of the Thought Police to abandon their duties and scamper over. The fact that it was being extruded from a giant, quivering, fuming blob-thing didn't really even register. The golemego ate up to the point of vomiting, and then ate again. After a lifetime of lollipops the Terramel was a mind blowing change, both in culinary and physiological sense. The next evening the Thought Police came back for more, and to Microlos's delight there were twice as many of them this time.

The Terramel had given the Police it's propensity to melt in the daylight, allowing them to soften up, divide in two, and then return to safe solidity in the coolness of the night. Microlos noted that his good friends were looking a fair bit smaller than yesterday. That's what dividing does to a goo. Microlos wasn't quite certain of how dividing into smaller and smaller pieces might affect a creature with internal organs, but his new friends seemed to be doing just fine. In theory a golemegoo that was half the size of the original would have a mind that was also half as small, but honestly, the Though Police never had been using theirs to begin with. They wouldn't even notice. They'd be just fine. But that shrinking wasn't so good. Oh well, they'd just have to get used to eating more, that'd fix it. Eating was at least 50% of living good. The first new generation of golemegoo were already taking the lesson to heart by gorging themselves on the remaining lollipops, as well as anything else they could find. But new lollipops were no longer appearing, and even the hidden food stockpile in the palace had run empty, they'd need to come up with something new to eat, a task made difficult by the fact that most of them had no idea whatsoever where food comes from, other than "I just tell the clawed ones to feed me and they do."

The truth was that the city had been subsisting on lollipops and what meager produce the crystal farmers were able to grow in the thin atmosphere. The existing mines had long since been emptied of edible minerals, and the Thought Police ruling the city never realized they should have been prospecting for more. Little late for that now. They were hungry now.

(With the population of golemegoo exploding the City of Light has completely run out of food. The golemegoo have turned to eating the paraiba since they are all that is left, and easy to manipulate telepathically. The more free minded clawed ones are either fleeing the city or preparing for their last stand.)

(The paraiba are, to put it mildly, terrified of the big wobbly thing in the city square.)

Microlos, the golemegoo are too preoccupied with their little lives to think of praying for guidance, but they'd probably do whatever you tell them to. You can order them in addition to your next god action and expect results, but mind that they are quite
Lazy.

(The golemegoo population has not quite doubled, as desperately gorging on candy sent many of them into diabetic coma from which they never woke up.)

(All in all the golemegoo are Smaller than Average, Hungry, and Unhealthy from City of Light Syndrome, or in other words diabetes.)

City of Light posted:

Population 9
7->6 paraiba
2->3 golemego

It came to Microlos's all encompassing, amorphous awareness that one of his new friends had broken from the herd, and left the city. Looks like they were headed for that hole in the mountain over there.

Locus-255 had gone into the City of Light as a lone infiltrator. It returned to Lobos as an army. The hideous balance of power was broken, and the uppity brass-animals were brought low in the most cruel and Correct fashion. Lobos belonged to the golemego. Soon it would belong to Locus-255, to all of them.

(Lobos, the hideaway of Rav's old elite, has been taken over by the newly transformed golemegoo individual/swarm Locus-255. It/they is/are Smart, Vile and expert in Edgertemain)

quote:

Microlos has turned the Thought Police of the City of Light into the golemegoo: 17

+/- Jewel opposes Change, but Tsohg embodies Life, which is tied to Division, net zero effect.

High Power: Even tiny Golemegoo maintain at least some mental presence.

The golemegoo soften in daylight, divide in two and resolidify at night.
They are somewhat vulnerable while soft, but this allows, in theory, their population to double each day.
The dietary requirements for such growth are extreme. Otherwise they keep getting smaller and smaller.

-~X~-

It was a perfectly normal day in Dead Neck City. The flowers were crumbling into dust, the birds weren't singing (they were dead and stuffed). The people were going about the daily routines, tracing the same paths through the sand as yesterday, repeating the same conversations. In a quiet corner (they were all quiet), there reclined one individual. How long he'd been there he couldn't say. The days blended into each other. In his idleness he wondered if he'd ever get up. Maybe he had always been sitting there, always would. He looked up to his neighbor's window. How long had that guy been polishing his drinking mug? A day? Two days? Forever? He couldn't remember, and wasn't sure what to think of that. Not that it would be unpleasant to have always been like this, he was quite comfortable right now, but something felt missing from his... Life? Evil tongues said that nilthos weren't capable of making anything new. That all they were was taken from others. Bah. You only had to look at Adoboo's constant reinvention of cooking to see that was wrong.
But still, maybe that was because he was a Hero. Maybe regular people couldn't do better than to take the thoughts given to them from outside, and mechanically put them together in different patterns. But wasn't that what imagination was for everyone, not just nilthos. Wasn't that what all minds did. Of course the philosophers disagreed. They all had their theories on how the mind was a fount of Ideas, or how it navigated parallel timelines or some other nonsense. They didn't really know what was going on any more than anyone else did. The fact that they all disagreed with each other proved it. "Seekers of Truth" hah. They simply went as far as it took to gain fancy magic powers and called it a day. They had no interest in examining their own biases, in figuring out how the world really worked. Someone should get on that.
But then again, maybe the fact that nobody had solved the world meant that it was impossible. Maybe there was no truth to be gleaned. How would one even approach such a problem?

Then he knew. The answer was simple.

Hats.

The very same day he changed his name to Hatson. Because why not. He had taken his old name for a far dumber reason. His mind was absolutely bursting with hats that needed to be brought into reality. Oh wait, had he just been Chosen by a god? A quick check with a mirror revealed no glowy green eyes. Bummer. Oh well, the hat making would go on. Once he split apart they'd just keep making hats together. He'd need supplies to start production but those would be easy to acquire once he had a prototype of the Path-Helmet to show off.

quote:

Hat has taught hat-making to Hatson: 10

- Result under 11, Hat has fallen to 2/3 HP, not that it matters at all.

Hatson has learned to make Path-Helmets, headgear that allow anyone to travel the Ecto-Fold Path safely. It's use for travel is steadily going up.

With godly hat-wisdom, Hatson is the best haberdasher and milliner in existence by wide, wide margin. He's not a Hero but the hat-lore runs so deep that all of his descendants will stay in the business. The Path-Helmet is a steady seller but all of their hats are sought after status symbols, making the Hatson family/company very rich.

-~X~-

Ipso looked on as his neighbor threw their beer at the wall and floated off ranting crazily about hats. He sighed. Always a strange one that, it had only been a matter of time before he snapped. Well, enough of that. This mug wasn't cleaning itself. But what he saw in the mug weren't crusty booze-stains, it was the whole world.

AJ_Impy posted:

"It is upon you that I place this divine charge! Merge the ways of the light and the ways of the dark! Unify the paths of body and mind!"

Ipso was still reeling from the sheer magnitude of having briefly known and felt Everything. It wasn't until Korbydas was gone that the god's words really sunk in. Him, create an explanation for the whole world? A Grayed Unified Theory? An outright impossible task, yet one that he couldn't imagine himself abandoning. He knew he had been made a Hero. Adoboo would have a whole song and dance up once Ipso showed his face again. But that could wait. He instead remained holed up in his home for days, simply thinking of how he could proceed.

Philosophers all claimed that what gave them the ability to impose their will on the world was the realization of some deep truth. Some sort of enlightement that couldn'ẗ be dressed in words. Not that it stopped them from trying. For example the adherents of First Braid claimed that after studying the sagas enough, you learned to see the whole world in terms of things trying to return to some ideal state of being, trying to Heal, and after that simply focusing on something was enough to make it Heal faster. So did the teachings of the philosophies actually describe anything about the world? Were they simply thought exercises to connect one's mind to some fantastic power? To Ideas? Did the philosophies really differ in ways other than what Ideas they obsessed over? Nobody really knew. It was hard to draw parallels since to Ipso's knowledge, nobody had mastered more than one school of philosophy, meaning that nobody could really compare their core natures to each other. Except, the cutters of Rav's Institute. He'd heard that in the old days they had succesfully spliced the minds of different philosophers together, creating "people" that could draw on the powers of both. Was that the path to true understanding? That horrifying mutilation of minds? If not then what was?

Finally, weak with hunger, Ipso prayed to his god.

"Oh god. The Truth must be found, I see it now. But please, I am wrecked with doubt. Some of the ways people have acquired further understanding terrify me, I wonder if even the theory of everything is worth such acts."

"How far should I be willing to go to create the Grayed Unified Theory?"

(Korbydas, answering your Hero is free.)

quote:

Korbydas has appointed a Hero, Ipso, to pursue the Grayed Unified Theory: 12

Ipso.
(Intelligent, Strong, dabbler in Everything)

-~X~-

Rem, the God of Forebodings arrived upon the island lingering far below Middle. He found a land of red, of metallic scents. The island was dry and crusted like a giant scab torn from some titan's festering wound. No sign remained of the Rostrum Estate or of the natural life that once existed here. The Entity had consumed all. It had been created by the strange, grasping nameless god by infusing the very earth with Tsohg. What had become was pure Life. A mass of pulsing tissue, pocked with what were once trees, now hairs, feelers. Without meaning, without structure, but always growing, always eating, and never, never dying. Rem could see that after consuming all there was available to it, the Entity had starved. After the food ran out the organs had turned on each other. Flesh against flesh, self against self in a mindless autocannibalistic orgy and struggle for survival. Everything eating everything. Nothing ever dying. Eventually the flesh had exhausted itself, run completely out of energy and withered into a gruesome dried out tumor. Not quite alive but not dead either. Lying in dreamless rest, slowly absorbing energy from the Above's light, for a Rebirth.

The god couldn't tell how many times the cycle had repeated itself already.

With a crunching sound, he tore out a piece. Veins crawled like worms within the wound. With a light application of his Power, he shaped the piece into new life. The flesh was eager. It became a swarm of small, flying insects that hungered for the dead. Rem could see that they would eat and multiply, for while they were creatures of rare Inverse Essence, their intestines would make more of it from mundane matter. Perhaps not here though, the grand Inversion wrought by the Hand long ago had left the space around the island precariously cracked. Stressing it further would have Consequences. Good thing the Middle was to be the pyre-flies' home.

---

The city of Orru had fallen. The last of the farms had been consumed by the desert, the rich and the healthy had flown away. No one remained but the old and the weak, quith too attached to try starting a new life somewhere else. Them and the corpses. Oh gods, they tried not to think of the corpses, but the smell would never let them forget. They had tried cleaning up but there were simply too many killed back when things had gotten ugly. Soon enough the bodies were melting and seeping into the cracks in the masonry. There was no hope of scraping it out. Then came the flies. A vast, red cloud that descended upon the quiet roosts. A chittering, wet noise as they licked and tore dried quith out of the city's stones. By the time the squatters dared to look outside the market square was sparkling clean, and the desert red and soaking wet from the gore of dead flies.

Within days plants had taken root in the grisly swamp. And sure enough, crops liked it just as much. They might have looked a little reddish and weird but they sure tasted great! Maybe there was hope for their city after all.

(The pyre-flies are feasting on the death wrought by the famine of the plains. The expended flies fall into the earth, turning the deserts into redlands, but not as quickly as they should be doing. Most of the flies are migrating elsewhere.)

quote:

Rem has created the Pyre-Flies: 9

+ Tsohg embodies Life, big boost to creating new organisms.
- Less than average result, weirdness from converting essences not completely contained.

Low result: Rem falls to 2/3 HP.
Lowest result: Horrusk reduce Rem to 1/3 HP. The Horrusk are ready.

The pyre-flies are creatures mainly composed of Tsohg. They consume dead and rotting matter, allowing them to reproduce by converting other elements into Tsohg. The constant Inversion does send ripples of instability through the world but eh, they are flies. Surely it won't be enough to have Consequences.

As the flies fall into the earth they create very fertile, very weird soil. Redland. The plants grown there occasionally have fly legs growing out of them.

The famine tormenting Jerichrochet's neighbors is effectively solved. Though the region is still in pretty chaotic state.

---

"THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!"

The pyre-flies were attracted to death, and nowhere on the Middle boasted as impressive collection of that as the catacombs of Rav. Those vast, underground warehouses of corpses. Matter in dire need of recycling. The flies had descended upon the city in unimaginable numbers, gnawed through the earth into the catacombs, and feasted. The caretakers were killing them by the millions but it was too late. Their job was done. It was time for them to die anyway and feed the soil.

(Rav's catacombs have been mostly eaten empty, and the ground the city is built on has been soaked with staggering amounts of Tsohg. Weeds are growing uncontrollably everywhere but the populance are feeling very healthy, if a little light-headed and forgetful.)

-~X~-

The day of Those Who Have Come Before was a holiday celebrated all across the world. Not at the same time though. Nominally it was held every one hundred days but the schedule drifted as happened to be convenient. In addition each major culture kept their own calendar, making sure the day never hit each city at the same time. The profiliteration of Ecto-Travel had introduced some pressure to synchronize time keeping, but for now one could celebrate the day rather often by chasing it back and forth across the world.

For many the day was an excuse to dress up as macabre as they could and go partying, but largely respecting one's ancestors was taken seriously. One slightly questionable way some did that was through substitutors. In Dead Neck City there were places where one could hire a nilthos to consume the ethereal remains of a recently deceased loved one. The substitute would commit everything they ate to memory, and on each day of Those Who Have Come Before, come spend time with the dead one's family and pretend to be them.

-~X~-

Her eyes were gone. She realized that she couldn't breathe. For what felt like an eternity she suffocated, but no oblivion would come. With time, the need to draw air faded away, but the cold remained. She couldn't move for there were no muscles to obey her. Her ethereal nerves were naked, exposed to the elements. Each breath of the wind was nails on chalkboard. Yet for all the pain and discomfort she couldn't fall to panic. Panic called for chemicals to prime the body for fight or flight, and her chemicals lie in a shallow grave beneath her.
In that horrible, disoriented state, something called out to her. A warm glow in the cold dark. With nothing else real available to her, she willed herself towards it.

The city of After-Thought welcomed it's first inhabitants. It allowed the eyeless dead to see itself clearly. It's air warmed their raw forms, and let them speak with no lungs. A great comfort was given to them, and they almost forgot the bodies they had been ripped out of.

(The minds of the dead are finding their way into the After-Thought. Minds of People and even animals. Good thing that its impossibly spacious. No nilthos have shown up, strangely enough.)

For a time Phantom observed her creation. The city was exquisite art of rock and Jewel, even if the weird ridged looks of the old cavern were sticking out here and there. This had been the perfect place. It had felt of Mind even before she started her work. Now, the lost minds had come home, and seemed quite happy. For most part at least. Some worries could be heard echoing through the cavern.

"I-I need to get in touch with my kids! I must tell them I'm all right... or, uh, that I'm..."
"That idiot stabbed me in the back! Right after I made him my heir! I must have revenge!"
"Is this the Above? Then where's my grandma?!"
"Who am I? Why can't I remember..."

Many of them still clung to their surface lives. Also, certain restlessness was growing among many of them. Since they had no bodies to take care of, no stomachs to feed, no skins or shells to clean, there was nothing they actually needed to do. Some were coming up with hobbies to entertain themselves, but even they could feel it. The creeping boredom.

"Gods, if you really are real, then hear my prayer."

"What do we do now?"

(Phantom, answering your lost minds is free.)

(Also, Phantom, is the After-Thought freely accessible from the world of the living? Are the dead allowed to leave? You can decide on an obstacle of some sorts, but unless you spend an action on that it won't be especially reliable.)

quote:

Phantom has created the realm of After-Thought: 14

+ Use of pre existing structures, more Power left for the new parts.

Good result: Turns out the parts of the dead that nilthos eat are only memories, and not the whole Mind. Everyone gets to go to After-Thought.
That said, losing even a part of your mind sucks. Also, minds from before the current era are too far gone to find After-Thought.

After-Thought has replaced the ancient empty gemego lair. It is an underground city where minds of the dead gather. Not nilthos though.
The transition from living to existing as a mind stripped of flesh is rather rough, but After-Thought allows them comfortable existence.

-~X~-

"I suppose it is too late to try to talk you out of this."

The taller figure looked down on her gooey compatriot, and responded dryly. "Yes." Ever since their apprenticeship days Noil had been the fearful, reluctant one. Amale bet that those traits were what had cost him his great breakthrough. Yet instead of dying, he had found true unity with Crow. Maybe being so afraid of death was what had preserved him. Fear, it had it's merits, but she had long since set hers aside.

She took another step forwards. "I have come too far to turn back now." The edge was so sheer here. The world ended like it had been cut with a knife. "I will see the world as the gods do." One moment there was ground beneath your feet, the next, none.

She glided through the emptiness. The air grew thinner and thinner. No problem, there were lake dwelling creatures that could go days without surfacing to breathe, and she was confident she had them matched. and true Flight was not limited by the lack of air. Ever further she went. Many had flown over the edge of the world and looked at it's bare sides, but they had merely skimmed the edge. She would be the first to truly leave the world, to feel the bare void. To see what lies beyond.

---

Out here it did not feel cold. In fact, she was little warmer than comfortable. She looked up. With no atmosphere to mask it, the Above was mercilessly bright. Like a boundless lake of color and motion. She doubted that even on the mountains one could get such a clear look. But what of the world? She glimpsed back. The cliffside where she had taken off was still visible. She still needed to turn her head to see different corners of the world. Not far enough.

---

The first signs of strain were starting to appear. And the heat was building up, she had to lose some altitude to slow it down. No matter, she could go further and still make it back. She hardly carried anything on her, but did have her can of spaghetti à la General Tsohg from the master's kitchen (pureed into slurry for fast consumption). In an emergency it would keep her alive.

---

It must have been a day later. Surely? Surely it must have taken a day for her to get this tired. She had to be very far, she had been accelerating this whole time. Yet nothing! Nothing had come up. Had she not done enough to cross this border between worlds? Was it that there actually was nothing out there? Ahead of her was simply more emptiness. She allowed herself a look down. Nothing. Pure black. For a moment her resolve wavered, and she imagined what it would be like to fall forever. A wave of nausea passed over her. No. No more. She had to get back. Her lungs felt painful, and strength was leaving her wings. The lunch can ripped apart in her jaws. Immediately a red haze filled her head, giving her the strength to keep going. She would make it.

---

The world was getting closer. Only a little more! But something was wrong. Why was her neck getting tired looking at the... Oh no. Out here in the void, it was hard to keep track of angles but she couldn't deny it anymore. This whole time she had been drifting downwards. She was well below the world's bottom by now. Dread took hold of her. The world was vast. Was it even possible for her to gain that much altitude by wings alone, with no air currents to ride? Even regular flying could be exhausting in bad weather, what hope did she have of climbing a distance higher than the tallest mountains?

No use thinking about it. She would do it. But she would have to lose weight by any means necessary. She recalled her Trials, and willed her body to obey. Her legs fell off with no wound, no scar. A small cost for survival.

---

It was over. She was spent. Every part of her hurt, and the heat! With no air to provide convection her body temperature had only been rising. She was boiling alive. Yet there it was, right above her! The rough, angular belly of the world, shrouded by a ghostly shimmer. With the last of her strength, she reached out.

Nowhere near enough. She fell.

---

She let the air escape from her lungs. It was over. Then she saw it. Something red below her? Another world?! Yet it was no use for her. It was far away, she would fall past it. But still, she had been right. There was more to the universe than the Middle! A-a-hahah... If only she had started by looking beneath the world. At least... At least she could die feeling vindicated.

---

She had thought what she saw earlier the void. She had been wrong. Here, the light grew faint and the world had long since disappeared from her view. It was dark. Eyes open or closed, it made no difference. In her death throes she had found true nothingness, here in the Below.

If so, then just who was that talking to her?

---

Many had fallen from Middle since it's creation. But here was the first to have come into the Below with agency. The first to have challenged the void with her own power, even if she had lost in the end. The scavenger spirits lurking in Middle's shadow had been following her mission with undivided attention. An unique catch. Perhaps even good for more than just building material? They fought each other fiercely for a spot along her trajectory. Very soon she would be low enough to take safely!

If you are a Spirit, when you post, link a d1000 roll. After a day or two I'll close the competition. The highest roller catches Amale. Regardless of roll you are free to speak to her.
However, Cloud Potato can't roll for this. You just got one win!

quote:

The winner has two options to choose from:
*If you keep her for yourself, gain 10 spirit points.
*If you don't keep her, you can perform one god action, centered on her. Instead of a standard d20, you roll a dX, where X is twice the number of spirit points you sacrifice on it (max 10 for a d20).
*Votes from other spirits can't bring your roll above X.

-~X~-

Sound.

The web of minds that was Horrusk contemplated upon that which was called 'Sound'. An useless thing. A repugnant thing, serving only to disrupt. Lacking grace, style or order. Each Horrusk surveyed the lands they grazed upon, and they were displeased. Some places were nearly untouched, marred only by the sound of the wind, but more often than not there was civilization, and civilization meant speech, speech meant noise, and it never stopped. The sounds of nature were almost tolerable, almost. But speech, noise trying to convey meaning, no. Absolutely not. But now, they had a chance to stop speech from happening.

---

The faith of silence had suffered steady decline over the eras. What was once the center of spirituality for the People of the Plains had become a meaningless tradition. Sign language was still a symbol of sophistication, something the learned and priviledged reveled in, but for the common person speaking aloud was too convenient to forego. The priests maintaining the sanctuaries of silence despaired as ever less people came to learn the silent language. If only they could show them the benefits of silence, the deep peace found when all noise stills! Most of them couldn't, not anymore. It was said that in ancient days every sanctuary housed an emissary of silence, a living doll sent to teach the true language to the Middle. Not anymore. Most of them were gone. Once people had realized the healing power held by their blue metal, the foolish and the greedy had raided the smaller sanctuaries of their angels. Even the well defended ones hadn't lasted. For all of their miraculous powers, the dolls were quite shoddily Fabricated. These days even the best preserved ones had trouble moving around. It was a shock when one day, they all decided to leave.

The spire of the south, the blue world tree. The holy order of Horrusk hunters had been feeding the divine plant with dead Horrusk for an era, and now, it had bloomed. The ramshackle dolls limped or crawled on. From all across the world, this was where they were headed. A long trail of worshippers followed each one, praying for or helping it on this unprecedented journey. As they drew near the tree, the pilgrims realized they had entered the promised land. For where the tree stood, there was no Sound. It was like the power of the emissaries of silence, almost as if the land was enclosed in a bubble. Outside, noise. Inside, pure blessed silence. The dolls dragged themselves to the tree's sides, leaned on it, and moved no more.

(The tree of south, along with the Horrusk, is ready. It is a part of Horrusk, but unlike them it is a mindless plant.)

A flash and an earthquake. The explosion darkened the skies with dust for days, but even through the smog, something could bee seen moving. A spiral mountain, emerging from the ever spreading chasm torn into the earth.

Among the panicking citizens of Dead Neck City Adoboo stood calm. He bent his Hands in the shapes of sign language, for the first time in his existence.

"Oh my pet how you have grown."

(With the emergence of the Horrusk the Middle has been broken in two.)

How did no one notice such a giant slumbering beneath the earth, even as mortals and gods have been digging into the ground? It was a massively lucky coincidence for the Horrusk deep one that no one had noticed it until now.

(The Wailing wall was not strong enough to keep the halves of the world from separating, but has stopped them from drifting apart, at least for now.)

(The great crow lake is draining into the chasm at rapid pace.)

Over the past era, Horrusk had more or less been exterminated from the areas surrounding Jerichrochet. Appearence of the Spiral Dial had also emptied the valley of them. The sparsely populated eastern rim had been their only safe home, and now, their kingdom. It used to be that the Horrusk were pests that would do no worse than eat your garden greens, but now if you ran into one you'd better shut your mouth. Making a sound in one's presence would get you swatted, or worse, Silenced. Even communicating by telepathy could anger them, or just thinking particularly loudly. Really, if you see one its safest to not exist. Those who get Silenced fall down paralyzed. Not dead, but prisoners of their own mind, never more able to let their words, thoughts or acts disrupt the world by causing noise.

Civilization was coming to an end on the eastern rim. People in other corners of the world offered their deepest condolences, but what they really worried about was the mountain sized Horrusk, visible from halfways across the world. To the gods it was clear that it was exerting itself, doing something, but it was not yet clear what.

(Finally the Horrusk are ready. They no longer eat gods, they no longer hide in the shadows.)

(The Horrusk have destroyed all settlements on the east half of Middle, aside from the Dead Neck City. That has been left alone, oddly enough.)

(The Horrusk are quite Lucky. Any god targeting them with an action rolls twice and uses the lowest result.)

---

"YOU!"

"DO NOT MOVE AN INCH! YOU ARE SURROUNDED!"

"Don't even try to excuse that absurd hat! The world is ending out there and I KNOW it is your fault, somehow!"

There was nothing Boodica wanted more than to kill Adoboo there then then. To her frustration she needed to play time until her reinforcements arrived.

"And I know! I know it was you who broke into the Terminal! I know YOU went to Rav, invaded their temple and killed dozens of people there!"

"It is over. I judge thee guilty."

No. It was not supposed to go like this. Adoboo maintained his poker face but inside he was shaking. Just a little more and they would all have understood. But now, he wasn't going to be able to talk his way out of this one. He would have to act now. Surreptously, he spoke the Words.

...Or tried to. No matter how he tried, the final syllables refused to emerge from his body. How? How he wasn't able to... wasn't he enough to...

Time was running out. With no other option left, he leaped upon the great table bearing Xenon's symbol, and yelled to the heavens. If the gods didn't hear him here then they would hear him nowhere.

"Gods! Lords of the era! Hear me! Permit me to speak The Cutting Words! Allow me this request, I only seek to fulfill my duty to this Hall, to this land! I have proven my cause is just, for I have kept the Horrusk from silencing this city!"

"There will be no response to your vile schemes! Die!"

(Normally, people can't use Remnants without being ordered to do so by a god. Any of the current gods can grant his plea for free. You could also just watch Boodica tear him into shreds. Should you disagree with each other on the request, majority wins.)

(Chain of events:
1. Ria created the broken school, formed of fragments of broken minds.
2. In there, Adoboo discovered memories of slaves used by Rav to build their great temple of Sharpness.
3. He found out about the existence of the Cutting Words, and where to find them.
4. Using the Ecto-Fold Path, his considerable connections to Rav, his devoted servants and the ability to possess people to break in, kill a secret keeper, and eat the words out of their mind.)

-~X~-

This turn, there is another spotlight vote, just like before.

Posting guidelines for wayward spirits posted:

*Your god vote.
*Your catching roll.
*Your spotlight vote.

Jvie fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 4, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to cross between the halves via ecto-path?

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Spirit Points: 1 -> 2
God Vote: Abstain +1 Rem Abstain (+, - remaining)
Catch: 211
Spotlight: Bridging the gap

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 7, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Spirit: 13 -> (14 once there's something to vote on, I just wanted to post my roll and spotlight vote)
Catch!: 1d1000 989
Spotlight: Are there any people trying to bridge the gap?

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Wisp count: 5
Spotlight: How a certain Hero, tasked with exterminating the Horrusk is doing.
Catch roll: 103

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

1 spirit
+1 to Rem. (+, -, 0)
Spotlight: What's Margerite (who?) been up to?

Catch!: 1d1000 472

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 5, 2018

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Rem, the God of Forebodings
1/3

The moment that Rem had a large chunk of himself torn out and eaten by Horrusks went something like this.

"AAAARGH gently caress! AAAH loving poo poo WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS!?" He was not happy with the situation at all, not at all happy that his already short godhood was now in danger of being cut even shorter. And so when the hero known as Adoboo made his divine request to the gods, and God in some way knew that his current pain was in some way his fault...

quote:

"Gods! Lords of the era! Hear me! Permit me to speak The Cutting Words! Allow me this request, I only seek to fulfill my duty to this Hall, to this land! I have proven my cause is just, for I have kept the Horrusk from silencing this city!"

The divine response rather instant. "Bugger off! I hope she kicks your rear end!"

Rem vehemently declines Adoboo's request to use Cutting Words.

---

But the matter of Rem's suddenly dangerous edging to the death had incensed him to a great fury, and also impressed onto him a need to accelerate the plans he for later now. The giant lake of Crowth had spilling from the fractured world and tumbled towards the depths. Matters have been forced, this problem needed to be dealt with , and this Crowth was dripping below the Middle towards the great Tsohg morass under the world. Perfect, he allowed it to funnel towards the great morass as suddenly it began to rouse from it's slumber.

"I have a task for you, hungry beast of flesh that you are. The mistakes of nature on the surface of the newly made East half have wronged me something fierce and boy am I not happy about this. The offering of the Pyre-Flies was to feed to you, I would have perhaps even connected you to the Tsohg of this world so that you may control it towards yourself. I would have you be the warden of the physical dead in this world, but my time grows short and so I need to accelerate the process somewhat." He reached into what counted as a 'mind' for this beast, and he implanted into it a thought.

"Your name is Tsohggoth, your purpose is to consume the dead and the unliving. The Horrusks that inhabit the eastern lands on the surface and under it are not living and have no place in this arrangement." He impressed on it the image of the foe, and pointed it in the right direction.

"Devour them."

With the large amount of Crow from the Great lake falling beneath the world, and most certainly into the Dead Half, Rem will take this and empower the Dead Half into a 'hero' of his own. He has awoken this beast, strengthened it with mass, and given it a name and purpose. Namely to go 'all you can eat buffet' on these snails that are breaking our poo poo, (and to keep the feeding frenzy to the southlands for the moment so that the Dead Neck City doesn't get eaten immediatly).

1d20 = 3

Aww come on man I wanted do something cool. This is the exact opposite of cool.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 4, 2018

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Hat, Goddess Spirit of Hats
HP: 2/3

+1 Rem. Remaining: 0,-.
Spirit: 10 -> 11
Spotlight: Hatson.
Catch roll: ErrorErrorError

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
+1 Rem for the tsohgggoth pun!
Spirit: 11 -> 12
Catch!: 1d1000 815

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
1->2 Spirit Points
+1 to Rem just to see how the giant monster ends up.
Seconding super sweet best pal's spotlight on people bridging the gap.
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Vote +1 Rem boosting a desperate attempt to save the world!
Spotlight Oh god the snails will eat us all
catching a batlady: 1d1000 177 Hahaha nope
e: spirit count 1 -> 2

vorebane fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 5, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Korbydas, the Truth of the Deeps
3/3

Jvie posted:

Finally, weak with hunger, Ipso prayed to his god.

"Oh god. The Truth must be found, I see it now. But please, I am wrecked with doubt. Some of the ways people have acquired further understanding terrify me, I wonder if even the theory of everything is worth such acts."

"How far should I be willing to go to create the Grayed Unified Theory?"

"Ipso, my Chosen, it delights me that you ask this. It is good and right that you have doubts about the methods used, that your inmost being cares for those that might be harmed and baulks at causing harm. Hold on to that, always. Never become blithe, cruel or flippant about the powers you are now aware of. Be aware of the terrible ends to which they can be put, and refrain from indulging in them yourself. Know, understand, comprehend, but do not participate when the object or a byproduct of that use would be deliberate injury caused to another.

Except Horrusks. They seek to divide, to silence, to stupefy. They are not truly of this world. Against them all harm is permitted.

But I digress. I have given you a touch of all knowledge. It is yours to call upon as you craft the theory. Do not succumb to performing acts that your conscience baulks at, for the wordless wisdom it provides in doing so is key to finding the Grayed Unified Theory. You are welcome to pray to me as much as you wish and I will be happy to speak with you for as long as I am able. Be well, Ipso, take care of yourself, and every success in your task. I believe in you."

Jvie posted:

"Boodica. Great seeker after justice. Know that you have done well in my sight. But realise that it is not your place to decree what the Gods will or will not respond to. I have been asked, so I will answer.

Adoboo. Murderer. Mindcutter. Do not seek the comforting blanket of self-justification. Evil done in the name of a just cause is still evil. Comprehend this painful truth in its entirety. What Cutting Words does... removing lies, removing obfuscation, it speaks to me. I embody the deep truths. I permit you to use Cutting Words with this caveat. If you use revealing hidden weaknesses to deny justice or to cause harm to Boodica, I will dedicate an entire portion of my divine existence to making you regret doing so. I may yet be gainsaid by my peers, to them I offer my promise to do so as a guarantor."

Jvie posted:

(With the emergence of the Horrusk the Middle has been broken in two.)

How did no one notice such a giant slumbering beneath the earth, even as mortals and gods have been digging into the ground? It was a massively lucky coincidence for the Horrusk deep one that no one had noticed it until now.

(The Wailing wall was not strong enough to keep the halves of the world from separating, but has stopped them from drifting apart, at least for now.)

(The great crow lake is draining into the chasm at rapid pace.)

"What was done can be undone. What was broken can be mended. What was silenced can be freed from the mental prison. What came out? Those we can leave well enough alone."

Dead Neck City remained, but its inhabitants were fearful. Other settlements would need restoring.

"I will save what I can. I will not touch the Horrusk or where they are. I will not act against them, for I choose to help only the rightful beings of this world. Let the realm reknit! Let all that is not forbidden to me rejoin! All save the south, for the Tsohggoth and the big untouchable. Let Rem's work succeed."

By godly decree, Korbydas attempted to repair most most of the sundered realm, most but not all. His action was focused on helping Dead Neck City and its inhabitants, and so that city and its environs were the main beneficiary. He also tried to reunite points north, leaving behind and not interfering in any way with the Horrusks and an amount of land around and beneath each one to a depth equal to their height. The south, where the mountain Horrusk was, was left as is out of respect to Rem and their creation.

For the sake of Dead Neck City, relocate the northern and central parts of the eastern portion of the realm, mend the chasm adjacent to those regions, leave all the Horrusks and the land where they are to a depth equal to their height completely alone, no interference with them whatsoever, not moving them back west with the rest of the designated area.: 1d20 19

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

-1 Rem

e: Changed. See next post.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 6, 2018

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

To clarify, you're basically moving everything in the east but the horrusks back west to merge back up, leaving all of the horrusks out in the void on giant pillars of stone? Or something else?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Aabcehmu posted:

To clarify, you're basically moving everything in the east but the horrusks back west to merge back up, leaving all of the horrusks out in the void on giant pillars of stone? Or something else?

To clarify, I was thinking little islands of stone to a depth equal to their height. Essentially spheres of 'Not touching that' around each Horrusk to avoid interfering with them. Also, not moving the bottom part where the gigaHorrusk resides and where Rem intends to put their Tsohggoth.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
-1 Korbydas because 'delet this thing' actions are boring as gently caress, and I claim that going 'I am moving everything except the Horrusk thus leaving them stranded in the void' is a clearly hostile action targeting them and that you should roll Lucky.

Spotlight: Snailocalypse
Claiming bat: 885

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Microlos the GOo-D
3/3

CITY OF LIGHT

"Ah, delicious, delicious! Goo-d indeed my little Golemegoo!" Microlos blurbled out. He was goo satisfied at his work and enjoyed chowing down on the lollipops near his gootiful mass and whatever else came near.

But....

But! He was getting hungrier and hungrier all the time. All of his goorate little friends were just as hungry as he and combined, they had eaten the entire supply in the goorater metropolitan area!

Something would have to be done!

"Goo toward Lobos!" Microlos ordered. "You won't have to goo too far away and there should be a cornugoopia of food there, my GOOns." That should get them away from the city- and away from Microlos' precious remaining lollipop supply.

But thinking up a plan was such annoying hard work. Microlos was a GOo-D! He wasn't supposed to work like some slime or ooze. That was for peasants. No, he would have to get some Goofers to order around the goons for him. He knew just the way...

---------

LOBOS

Microlos spoke to Locus-255 through some mold oozing through a ceiling above the main node. "Hey goode! You want to order around some more goons? I got the right gooroup for you! They are coming over here and can be ordered simply enough. You just have to know the right method. You see, it all revolves around yes/no answers, or as I like to call them, ones and goos." Microlos stopped for a moment. Explaining the concept by words was just so inefficient and slow and hard. Better to just make Locus-255 goorok it the quick way.

So the GOo-D had the ooze just fall onto Locus's main node all at once and be absorbed directly into the golemego's mind and body. Progooraming would be a great way for Locus-255 to order around the goons without Microlos having to extend a pseudopod at all!

Who knows, maybe it could even be used to instruct other sorts of materials as well?

Goorok Progooraming?: 1d20 4

Orders:

Have Thought Police Goons go to Lobos

Create Progooraming- Allow Locus-255, and future progooramers, to control the goons into doing more complex tasks.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Phantom, Guide to Lost Minds
3/3

As the "Golemegoo" consumed whatever they could, and the Middle was split in two as Horrusks roamed the eastern lands, Phantom felt relieved she had managed to complete the After-Thought just in time. The newly-dead seemed to have an easier time finding her realm, and she needed as many Lost Minds as she could get. But as Phantom had expected, those who had spent so long confined in physical bodies were confused as to how to continue their existence after death. It was rather amusing, to be honest, but letting them figure it out on their own would take too much time, and that was a cost Phantom couldn't afford.

"What should you do? Why, use your imagination, of course! I'm serious, your minds are no longer constrained by physical concerns, and this realm can be thought of as an extension of your minds. It's far more complicated than that, of course, but I don't have much time to explain. If you were a warrior, try to form a mental image of whatever weapon you trained the most with, and it will appear. For the farmers, you can 'grow' whatever you please, even if such a crop doesn't exist, so long as you can imagine it. Join up with others and use your collective wills to shape parts of the After-Thought however you like, there's plenty of room. If you want to fly, you can. There are very few rules here, with the exception that you cannot return to the land of the physical. At least, not yet. There will come a time soon when all minds that have known what it is to die will be needed, so you need to use your imagination and make your minds stronger. But in return, the After-Thought shall be your paradise, so long as you wish it to be."

Unfortunately, with how many Lost were showing up every day, and the fact that some just would not give up their obsession with the land of the physical, Phantom knew it was only a matter of time before some made a break for it. Worse, there was always the chance that those still living would stumble into her realm, and she could not allow any to try and steal any Lost Minds from her. No, she needed to find a way to guard her realm, and a way to ease the Lost into their new existence even if Phantom was no longer in this world herself.

There weren't many people in the Middle that accept such a job, spending their entire lives isolated from the world of the living, but the Paraiba of the City of Light would probably take any means to escape being cornered and eaten by the Golemegoo. As a bonus, they were already used to living in the depths of the Middle, so they should have no difficulty in setting up a small community at the gates of the After-Thought. They would still be forbidden from ever actually entering that realm while living, of course, but they would be given a fraction of the realm's power in order to defend the After-Thought from the living, and to see and track down any Lost Minds that tried to return to the surface. It would also greatly enhance their imagination, which could lead to vivid fantasies while still awake, which might be a problem. Still, Phantom didn't have time for a perfect solution, so she would make do with what she had.

Creating the Parailogia, Guards and Caretakers of the After-Thought: 1d20 7

I'm fine with losing health on this, so is anyone is still holding on to a +1 vote, send it Rem's way please.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
+1 to Phantom Rem

[ + = ] s#: 2

Spotlight: NOTTUM

Catching Amale: 1d1000 922

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

+1 Rem

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Can I do anything to convince you to switch your vote?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Aabcehmu posted:

Can I do anything to convince you to switch your vote?

Sure, just help me out next turn if no one beats my catch roll.

Changing to +1 Rem

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

Sure, just help me out next turn if no one beats my catch roll.

Changing to +1 Rem

I have no pluses left, but I could minus someone of your choice?

e-

I can also switch to Abstain for this turn, since I think Rem is at 12

e2-

Okay, switched to abstain, Rem should be at 11 now. I will plus you next round.

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 7, 2018

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Spirit: 4 -> 5
God Vote: Abstain

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

-1 Korbydas for Theantero's reasons ( + 0 remain)

I feel dirty now.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Sorry for the recent silence. The update is coming, but a computer hardware failure has kept me from getting any drawing done for a couple of days. Thank you for your patience.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Another progooraming failure. If only Microlos had worked a bit harder, your comgooter would never have started crashing :(

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Jvie posted:

Sorry for the recent silence. The update is coming, but a computer hardware failure has kept me from getting any drawing done for a couple of days. Thank you for your patience.

No problem! Lets me get away with doing this:

Abstain

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Spirit 0->1
Vote +1 to Rem (+1, 0, -1)
Spotlight Hatson
Catch catch: 1d1000 835

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Well, my computer is still plugging along. I didn't intend for this to turn into another hiatus. I certainly don't feel good about keeping the current gods waiting, but in the end, in the past month I've not had it in me to work on an update. I guess I tend to work at max speed until I crash and burn and need another break, hah. I am not quitting mind you, I do have started the next update, but it'll be at least some more days before I'm done, because in the end I'm doing this for fun, and when it starts to feel like work I need a while to cool down.

So thank you, thank you for your attention so far and your continued patience, see you soon!

Slaan posted:

Another progooraming failure. If only Microlos had worked a bit harder, your comgooter would never have started crashing :(

So it was you!

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Jvie posted:

Well, my computer is still plugging along. I didn't intend for this to turn into another hiatus. I certainly don't feel good about keeping the current gods waiting, but in the end, in the past month I've not had it in me to work on an update. I guess I tend to work at max speed until I crash and burn and need another break, hah. I am not quitting mind you, I do have started the next update, but it'll be at least some more days before I'm done, because in the end I'm doing this for fun, and when it starts to feel like work I need a while to cool down.

So thank you, thank you for your attention so far and your continued patience, see you soon!

So it was you!

The natural state of the world is death, and dying. The fact that this game isn't over is news good enough on its own, let alone that it will be continuing in just a few days!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I agree, don't push yourself just to keep us entertained.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I disagree, bleed for us, you scum.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

I disagree, bleed for us, you scum.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Any chances of a comeback, Jvie?

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Yeah. I've been feeling kind of spent for a while, but now that the other game I was involved in is ending I really want to get back into this.
I'm not giving myself a deadline but I intend to continue. Lets hope some players are still around :v

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I know you are GOOd for finishing this. It'll happen in slime.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

This is definitely a thread I keep checking back on, good luck getting the band back together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I'll hang about, come back whenever :v: