Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
-1 Pseye. A domineering empire as the third move of the entire arc of history? Even given the intent, too early a development.

+

Third Spiriting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Mygda, Goddess of Fruit

HP: 3/3

Mygda was happy, but also frustrated. The Quith were doing well--quite well! Unicoloro had absolutely been the right choice, and she knew that the Grove and its tenders would flourish under his careful hand (or wing, as the mood struck him). The Waytrees were being spread nicely, placed at locations that had already been natural stopping points for Quith on long journeys. They'd taken the tool she had given them and had decided on their own how best it should be used. With time, the network would spread, and more Waytrees would be planted alongside existing ones at particularly busy intersections, creating hubs for travel, and perhaps trade, if Ravid's ideas took hold. It was going to be wonderful to see.

But she wasn't going to see it.

She had absolutely meant what she had told them--every moment she had in Middle was worth an eternity Below. But now those moments were slipping through her fingers, and she was going to have to say goodbye before too long, before she could truly see how things turned out. But maybe... she could push the envelope a little. See just a very little bit more than she might.

She gathered Unicoloro, her followers, and any Quith that felt inclined to listen, not at the Grove, but at a smaller tree, one not of her own creation.

"First of all, I want you to know that what I said about the importance of patience is true--the trees of the Grove are hardy, but they are in ways delicate. They can't be forced, and you should not try to. The Waytrees grow fast as it is. But there are more plants than those, after all, and they can be... helped along a little. Adapted to your purposes." she placed a hand on the trunk of the tree, and slowly drew it back, and a small knot formed. Again, and it grew. Again, and again, she repeated the motion, and gradually a branch took form, shaped along the path she had laid out with it. It's not flashy, and it takes work. But any one of you can learn it, and you do not need to do it alone, or all at once. Small things add up over time."

Teach the Quith of Crowth: 1d20 2. The basic spell of Crowth is quite simple, akin to reciting a little two-line prayer; the sort of thing that a Quith could do once or twice as they pass through a Waytree, and let the next Quith pick up where they left off. In the hands of someone like Unicoloro it can be quite a bit more impressive, but given that I rolled a 2, probably not *that* impressive!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Abstain.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
-1 Pseye.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
+1 Mygda

I've ran out of negawisps to show my displeasure elsewhere, now I wish for you to succeed here.
Remaining spirits: 0
Spirit points: 3

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

-1 Pseye

Spirit points: 2
Remaining options: +1, 0

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Hey all. There is something I'd like to address. As I've said this game is a direct descendant of DogKisser's Fragile Gods of Somewhere. A lot of things have changed from it, but a lot has remained as well. There are many people here who participated in DK's game and while their knowledge isn't all accurate for this world, they are still looking at the Middle from a different perspective than the newcomers. So, I'm going to address some of the points that could be considered insider information, so that everyone is on the same level.

Game Rule talk :siren: FEEL FREE TO IGNORE UNTIL YOU'VE READ THE THREAD:siren: posted:

In FGoS a god could try to avoid their death by age by binding themselves to the world, becoming a terrible monster, an Atrocity. Gods of the middle are free to end their career early for a cause of their choosing but there's no telling what will happen until you try.

In FGoS upon the end of an Age each surviving god dies, and leaves behind a Remnant, a relic of their influence with power determined by their remaining HP. No one knows yet if this will happen here but having more HP is never bad.

FGoS gods could directly battle and harm each other.

Any of these laws could or could not apply to the world of Above/Below.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

+1 Mygda

The pun is too great to be wasted.

3 spirit points, 0 remaining

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Geez. So much conflict. So many in need of hope and help. And the Nilthos are still nonsentient and lacking a god's aid.

First Braid and Crowth are both pretty awesome.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Abstain

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

LLSix posted:

Geez. So much conflict. So many in need of hope and help. And the Nilthos are still nonsentient and lacking a god's aid.

First Braid and Crowth are both pretty awesome.

Thank you! Also, get ye posting, you're the last one to act.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Abstain

SP: 3

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Without growth Crowth, eggs would just remain eggs. And while that's tempting, the cycle of life cannot be denied. Who would lay the new eggs? +1 Mygda.

Remaining Spirit votes: -1
Spirit points collected: 3

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Larien Lightbearer, Goddess of Hope, Mother of the Paraiba, Savior of the Middle, Chainbearer

Larien felt transfigured by her journey above. Shaken, battered, bruised by her descent and its sudden stop, yes, but also uplifted and restored. Even a goddess could feel religious ecstasy it seemed. She had made one pilgrimage to her birth place. She would not make another. Not in this life, or the next.

She visited her daughters, the Paraiba for a time. "It warms my heart to see you so assiduously seeking the Light of Above. It is the source of all that is, and as such, its pursuit is the second greatest good. In your pursuit, I pray you Paraiba, do not forget the greatest good: spreading and sharing the Light with others." She hoped her gentle words would nudge them towards peaceful co-operation with such of the other races as were willing for she was unwilling to use stronger measures. In any case, her time was swiftly running out. Already the brilliant light that sheathed her was fading.

The other gods had not dared to return home, but she had. Now, she would travel to another place that no other god had gone before.

She dove into the Lake of Ectoplasm. There she waited patiently for the Nilthos to gather, drawn by her light. Drawn by her mighty ghost, enough to feed them all for a long long time if only they dared.

"Awaken my daughters! Awaken to yourselves. Hear your own thoughts and the thoughts of the ghosts you consume. As you eat the last remnants of the dead, you will hear their thoughts. You will feel what they felt. Their death is irreversible, but the continued life of those who have wronged them is not! Seek out those who have slain the living according to their ghosts last thoughts and avenge them.

As I bear the light of hope, you too shall bear hope of justice after life is past. Even in death, their ghosts can still hope for justice from you."

making ghost riders: 1d20 5

"Or, you know, just eat them and hoard their memories and knowledge I guess. I'm just kind of winging it here. I've never been a goddess before."

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I trusted you, Theantero. That was clearly a mistake on my part.

-1 Pseye

3 | +

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

dont be mean to me posted:

I trusted you, Theantero. That was clearly a mistake on my part.

I mean, trusting me is ALWAYS a bad idea, but you can only really blame yourself here taken that I've been absolutely clear on my plans from the very start :v:

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Spirit 3: +1 Mygda
Remaining (-1)

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Going to save my final +1 for the last round, so for now I'll just Abstain.

Votes Remaining: +1
Spirit Points: 3

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
[STATUS]: Spirit
[SPIRIT POINTS]: 2 > 3
[ERA VOTES REMAINING]: +1, +1, 0, -1

+1 Solomna for First Braid

This is how we’re going to fight Pseye, Mind and his effing mind flaying rocks.

We’ll build a coalition and purge Middle of their tainted ambition.

When its my turn as Godling, I'll watch over these sweet Munchega and create more allies for them to play with, I swear it.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 4, 2018

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

:siren: Due to rule changes recent groundbreaking discoveries, schools of philosophy are now defined differently. Each now having more defined focus and losing the explicit connection to a single Essence, instead having an Idea it is founded on. The schools can change when their followers embrace or oppose new ideas.

The oldest school is now defined as:

(Spectreality is a school of philosophy aligned with Thought. It's adherents are able to move thoughts from vessel to vessel.)

----------

A crowd was gathered with great uproar. The sharp all laughed and wished each other luck as the more blunt of the Munchega strained on four limbs to hold up their loads. Crude bags of felt filled with sharp edged brass junk of supposed value. As soon Ravid signaled the direction with her blade the caravan set off. They were going. Granted they had no idea where they were going, but whatever! They were going! No one noticed the Goddess' blade crumbling behind their backs.

(Ravid falls to 2/3 HP.)

The first expedition returned sooner than intended as nobody had remembered to bring any food along. Still they rejoiced. They'd found a herd of uncivilized munchega. They didn't seem to understand trading but after just one evisceration the savages were very eager to accept a razor blade in exchange for some feltworms. After the briefest of celebrations the vanguards set off again.

(The sharp have embraced trading. They are making slow progress with the concept of logistics and mapping out territory.)

----------

Nilthos surrounded Larien in the alien world of ectoplasm. They swam like eels around her, while deeper below headless things pulsated. Her words roused them to attention they hadn't felt before, a new clarity of mind. They radiated a feeling she assumed was affectionate. Still, she couldn't help but to feel the finer points of justice might have gone over their heads. The time wasn't good for further clarifications. Something about these depths was making her feel wrong.

(Larien falls to 1/3 HP.)

(The Nilthos have become Eaters of Memory, capable of learning from those they consume. They are affected by the last feelings of their meal but can suppress it in most cases.)

Long after Larien had left the great lake, she could hear a prayer coming from one of the smaller ones. "Bearer of Light. I follow the way of Justice, eating the already dead, and those who killed them. But many of us, they kill whenever hungry, whoever is convenient. Should they face Justice too?"

"Will Nilthos fight Nilthos?"

(Larien, answering the question is free. Your answer will determine the direction of the new Nilthos culture.)

----------

One by one the Gemego reached out. Thoughts were sent, carried by the truths of Spectreality. Then responses came. For the first time they knew each other. Pseye imposed on them a drive previously unknown to them. A will to know the material world. To make it secondary to the world of thought. The lines of thought between them grew thick as they set on their work. They were Masters at core but it wasn't clear how they intended to make that known. The complexity of the structure had grown beyond what Pseye could keep track of without serious work. The failure to predict and understand it's own creation disoriented the mind in a way it feared it might never recover from.

(Pseye falls to 2/3 HP.)

----------

(The munchega have gained a Hero, Baandage. She is Teacher, Kind and beginner in First Braid.)

Baandage proved an excellent teacher. She walked her miserable people through the fundamentals of First Braid while at the same time assuring them that everything would be all right. They had lost almost everything, but maybe. Maybe it would be all right in the end. The Bluewools too would know peace. The scouts would find them soon enough.

(First Braid is a school of philosophy aligned with Healing. It's adherents are able to heal living beings.)

(Nearly all of the non-sharp munchega have become beginners in First Braid. They are eager to push the field forwards.)

(The munchega have lost most of what little they had but they are drying their tears. The survivors are united by a vision of a better, more peaceful future.)

----------

Great crowd flocked around Mygda's demonstration. Afterwards they hit the tree like a wave in their haste to try it out themselves. The whole plant was covered in a shroud of quith trying their hardest to do as they were instructed. Unfortunately it turns out philosophy is kind of hard. Most were giving up before getting any results. Mygda couldn't tell if it was caused by creeping disappointment or something else but she felt like she was withering.

(Mygda falls to 2/3 HP.)

(Crowth is a school of philosophy aligned with Growth. It's adherents are able to speed up the growth of things.)

(Unicoloro and his most patient followers have become beginners in Crowth. The practice is having hard time finding more followers.)

----------

----------

The faithful of the light prayed all the time for the pilgrims safe return. There was no sight of them.

(Whether the Above means salvation or oblivion, hardly anything ever returns from it.)

:siren:(Even for a god messing with the Above is liable to cut your existence short.):siren:

Jvie fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 6, 2018

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Pseye, Mind
2/3 HP

The networks of thought grew stronger. Ever stronger, marching inexorably towards geometrically growing complexity.

Yes.

In a way, Pseye was proud. The Gemego were after all proving a success, though they were but neonates yet. But the Mind had no doubt that they would emerge from their shadowy hiding places in the fullness of time, bringing Dominion with them. But that would, again, only happen in the fullness of time.

Yes.

Time.

Time was problematic. For the pure creations of Pseye it was irrelevant. The Gemego lacked any metabolism and were thus ageless, they could slumber the aeons away in deep thought. No, it was Life that took Time altogether too seriously, feverishly fidgeting and breeding and skitterleaping about, leaving their vile disgusting marks and mewling progeny all over until the day oblivion inevitably claimed them. Pseye found this behavior pointless, and vile. But nevertheless, could not deny its existence. Left unchecked, Life might spread its cancerous tendrils in such amounts that even the purity of Thought might run into issues dealing with it regardless of its far superior nature.

Pseye pondered upon this. What would be done? Pseye did not truly doubt that the Gemego would run into issues dominating the Middle after their true emergence. But they were not as powerful yet as they could be. And thus their victory was not certain. And this Pseye could not allow. But the Mind could feel its existence running short. Its divine spark sputtering out, though its Thought remained as strong as ever.

No.

This could not be allowed.

For as Mind was superior to Matter, so would Pseye prove its power superior to the very shackles of Divinity as well. It would shackle its essence to the deepest depths of the Middle itself and take a form the Gemego could inhabit, whilst fooling death by slumbering instead of dying, and only after ages had passed and even death had forgotten its existence, would it arise anew. To bring a new dawn to the world. An age of clarity. An age of purity.

Yes.

So it would be.

Pseye gazed upon the Middle one last time before letting its astral eye close for the long sleep to come.

Ok, lets check out if we can make atrocities in this game. Preferably taking the form of some kind of mindbending R'lyeh-like jewel city where the Gemego can hang out.
Refuse divine death, anchor Pseye's essence to the Middle where it can slumber in the hidden places until the times is right: 2

Well then :v:

Theantero fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 5, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Abstain

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Hahahaha HAHAHAHAHAH

-1 to Pseye

Oh I already downvoted! I guess I'm doing +1 to Pseye!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 5, 2018

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Spirit 4: -1 Pseye (Atrocity hate)
Remaining (+1/+1/0/-1)

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Abstain

Spirit Used: 4
Spirits Remaining:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Mygda, Goddess of Fruit

HP: 2/3

Mygda looked upon her works, and saw that they were good. Sure, things hadn't always gone according to plan, but the Quith were going to be okay. No, they would be more than okay--they were going to flourish. She could see it now, in her minds eye, how they would prosper, use her gifts and lessons and... oh! There was something she had forgotten to tell them. Something important they were missing. The Quith had learned much of trees, and plants, and growth, and Crowth, of the world and of Gods, but she had somehow neglected one of the most important lessons of all! Small wonder that so many Quith had wandered off. She gathered Unicoloro, his followers, and every Quith in the immediate area.

"There's one last thing I need to do, but I'm going to need all of you for it. And I don't just mean all of you that are here--I mean all of the Quith, as many as you can manage to gather. Heck, non-Quith too, if they'll listen. They all need to come. I mean, they can choose not to, but trust me--they'll regret not coming. That's not a threat! That's explicitly not a threat. I'm just saying, this is going to be good. So you guys go get everyone, and I'll get everything else ready."

As the flock scattered to spread the word, Mygda crossed the river near the Grove, and set to work, mustering all of the power she had available, all her mastery of Crowth, and for one last time, a tree began to rise from the ground. It was of a scale that had not been seen before, and perhaps would not be again. Its trunk, glistening brass with gleaming black streaks of crow rose high into the sky, and its felt canopy burst out impossibly wide. But Mygda had more in mind than simple size. Slowly, the trunk reshaped itself, a set of stairs spiralling out around the sides. She ascended the steps, occasionally pausing to develop cozy niches along the path, but her true objective was at the top.

Up at the very top of the canopy, as day turned into afternoon, her true task began. Branches wove together, forming a wide, solid platform. Wooden pillars rose from the floor, blooming with flowers that gave way to a variety of fruits that defied description, succulent, ripe, and perfectly sweet. Wooden basins grew from the pillars as well, and from one set of particularly tall pillars, strange, hollow nodules of varying sizes, shapes, and even materials took shape, positioned over burgeoning piles of hard nuts. By evening she was exhausted, her power spent, but she knew she had done well. Only one thing left to do, and she would be satisfied with her too-brief time on Middle.

---------------------------------------------------

"I'm glad you all came to see me off!" Mygda shouted to the assembled crowd, mostly Quith but with a few wanderers mixed in. "I know that I've already talked your ears off about trees, and responsibility, and patience, but I'm going to ask you to bear with me, for just one last lesson! You see, I've been so busy teaching you everything about growing fruit, I forgot to tell you why it's worth doing! The important thing to know about fruit... is that it's delicious as hell, and makes for some tasty-rear end drinks! It's time to party like there's no tomorrow, because for me, there won't be! It's the end of an era, baby! Let's! Get! This! Party! Started!"

As she spoke those magical last few words, the nuts began to fall on the nodules, filling the air with upbeat percussive music. The assorted fountains began to flow with fruit juices of all descriptions, and crystalline fruit around the plaza began to glow beneath the dimmed night sky. The Quith weren't quite sure what to make of it at first, but that hesitation soon gave way to joyous celebration of Mygda and all she had given them.

At the end of the night, finally spent in earnest, she collapsed onto a think pile of soft felt leaves and gazed up at the sky, taking one last sip of the punch--she'd taken care to sample all the varieties, particularly the few with alcohol. A handful of Quith crowded around her, as she reached up with one hand, her skin glowing as her very being became transparent.

"You made it worth it, guys." she whispered. "You really did. Thank you."

With those words, she finally discorporated, her essence drifting upwards into Above.

Plant the Tree of Ages and PARTY!!!: 1d20 16

This is the Tree of Ages! I'll leave the exact effects up to Jvie, but at the end of every age--both the ones with gods and the ones without--the tree bursts into full bloom, and it's party time!

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
+1 Mygda

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Theantero posted:

Pseye, Mind
Refuse divine death, anchor Pseye's essence to the Middle where it can slumber in the hidden places until the times is right: 2[/i]

-1 atrocity, a pity, here's hoping it still works, bit unexpectedly

Spirit 4, no spirits remaining.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Let's all go to hell a rundown funhouse in a lovely carnival with a devil face hotglued on the front!!!

+1 to Pseye

-1, 0
2 SP

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Would that I had more downvotes to give a God for refusing the natural order.

+1 Mygda

Fourth Spiriting

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Solomna

2/3 HP

Solomna saw how quickly Baandage and the other munchega took to First Plaid and she was satisfied. They would prosper, even in her absence. She appeared again before Baandage and signed to her: Baandage, my time in the Middle is soon at an end. Before I go, I will entrust you with a quest. The Trombac have, under the influence of the goddess Ravid, taken unwilling converts into their valley, and now they prepare to expand their influence further through less than peaceful means. I need you to find a way to free those who are held against their will once the gods are gone. Even then, you will not be able to do this alone, so I suggest you travel to the Grove of Knowledge, where Quith live and the goddess Mygda has planted the Tree of Ages. I think the Quith and the Munchega will be fast friends, they should be willing to aid you. With those signs she turned away and began leaving the Munchega. Though before she was out of sight, she turned around once more and signed one last message: Oh, and prepare for a party.

Sending Baandage on a quest, starting by visiting the Quith

Having left the Munchega to spend the last part of her life in blessed silence, Solomna considered what her last act on Middle should be. In her time as a spirit she had seen many fights over the little droplets that had fallen from the Above into the Below, and there were always those gods who tried to overstay their welcome, trying to prolong their life beyond the natural. Inevitably this lead to ruin and destruction, and she was already aware of Pseyes attempts to do the same. Not on this world though. In her final action Solomna would create a weapon that would silence these selfish gods. It could not be a weapon wielded by the people however, as possession of it would inevitably lead to conflict as well.
No, she would draw on the smallest and least significant of Middle's creatures: The humble Snalloy.
Snalloy were abundant across Middle and few but their predators paid them any attention, now they would become the sheath to hide her blade.
First she gave each individual snalloy a weak aura that repelled the divine. Individually this would not even hurt the weakest of spirits, but the Snalloys would not be alone.
Because next she gave them an instinct, hardwired into their brains, to search out the violent energies of gods overstaying their time in Middle.
Lastly she used the magic of Spectrealism that Pseye had himself created to allow them to send a signal to one another if they found these energies. They wouldn't really be able to use Spectrealism themselves, but once one Snalloy had acquired the scent, the message would ripple across Middle's Snalloys and they would begin converging on the offending entity, slowly silencing it as their numbers increased, until it would be no more.
Satisfied by her work Solomna named her new creation Escargone.
Creating the Escargone: 1d20=1
Solomna realized, that curiously she had never considered, that she could be the first victim of her creation, as they swarmed over her and snuffed out her divine essence.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
+1 Solomna: You died like you lived. You had a mouth but you must not screamed

That makes 4 spirit points :toot:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Larien Lightbearer, Goddess of Hope, Mother of the Paraiba, Savior of the Middle, Chainbearer, First in Justice
HP: 1/3

Jvie posted:

Nilthos surrounded Larien in the alien world of ectoplasm. They swam like eels, deeper below headless things pulsated. Her words roused them to attention they hadn't felt before, a new clarity of mind. They radiated a feeling she assumed was affectionate. Still, she couldn't help but to feel the finer points of justice might have gone over their heads. The time wasn't good for further clarifications. Something about these depths was making her feel wrong.

(The Nilthos have become Eaters of Memory, capable of learning from those they consume. They are affected by the last feelings of their meal but can suppress it in most cases.)

Long after Larien had left the great lake, she could hear a prayer coming from one of the smaller ones. "Bearer of Light. I follow the way of Justice, eating the already dead, and those who killed them. But many of us, they kill whenever hungry, whoever is convenient. Should they face Justice too?"

"Will Nilthos fight Nilthos?"

(Larien, answering the question is free. Your answer will determine the direction of the new Nilthos culture.)

"That's a tough one. Should you kill your sisters? Your daughters?"

Jvie posted:

The faithful of the light prayed all the time for the pilgrims safe return. There was no sight of them.

(Whether the Above means salvation or oblivion, hardly anything ever returns from it.)

:siren:(Even for a god messing with the Above is liable to cut your existence short.):siren:

[/b]

"Arghhh! My first and most faithful daughters! I've gotta... okay, no... well maybe...." Light boiled off Larien in waves as she tried to balance too many responsibilities. Too many hopes. As it did she knew her end was coming soon and in that truth found calm. She'd hoped to pass on her ghost to one of the Nilthos, but there was no time for that now. She would pass on what wisdom she could, as quickly as could.

"Ok, look. I don't have much time so I'm going to make this fast. There's hundreds of them, and like, dozens of you. You are strong and perfect in my sight, but you'd get slaughtered. And that would make me sad. So leave the other Nilthos alone. For now. I brought you Justice in hope for a better world, and you're just going to have to hope that over time your example will lead the other Nilthos to Justice too. Uh... I want to say so much more but there's just no time.

So, as clearly as possible: Nilthos should not fight Nilthos. Keep the peace with your sisters as long as you can. Sorry I can't stay longer, I have to try and fix the harm I've done the glowing gemcrab Paraibas."

Larien started to fly off again, but called over her shoulder: "Also, I hear the crows are having a party, you should go. They seem pretty cool."

Larien Lightbearer had never meant for the pilgrims too journey all the way up the chain. Only far enough to gather up the light of Above and bear it back to the middle. A small, but endless, source of life, of matter, to ensure the continuation of the world she'd been goddess of so briefly. But she'd mucked it up and sent her daughters to die in a place that meant death even for her. Especially for her after her last trip. She'd only been a goddess for a short while, mistakes were too be expected, but she thought she might still be able to make this one right. After all, she was dying anyways.

In a blaze of light she landed at the peak of Chain Mountain. She bathed her children one last time in her love: "I've heard your prayers for safety. I never promised you safety, only hope. I fulfill that promise of hope now, as I fulfilled all my previous promises too you. You will not see me in this form again, but I will be with you always, in the light that shines from your shells. I go now to return the pilgrims to you, if I can."

Larien flashed up the chain, seeking out her pilgrims. As she traveled up the chain she felt herself spreading, thinning. Merging with the light of Above. She would not last much longer. She could only hope she lived long enough to save those she loved with all her being.

Rescuing Pilgrims: 1d20 18

So I've been pushing against the boundaries all game, and here I am doing it again. Sorry about that! If the pilgrims are already gone beyond rescuing, that's fine, but Larien couldn't not try.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Let's give it a shot.

+1 Larien

4 | Age Complete

sheep-dodger posted:

Curse you, merciful Orokos!

f

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Ravid, Goddess of Edges
HP 2/3

Ravid felt the pull of Above and Below, the inexorable strain on this physical form She had mantled for a short time. She beheld the Edge she had ground onto Her people, and was pleased. But She knew, and the nicks and chips on Her Blades bore witness, that direct intervention was costly, and would no longer serve. And so, She came before Her Sharpest one last time, with one final gift to bestow.

"MY PRECIOUS CHILDREN, MY SHARPEST. AS ALL BLADES MUST ONE DAY WEAR AWAY, SO MUST I CROSS THE ULTIMATE BOUNDARY. BUT BEFORE MY LINE ON THIS BLESSED MIDDLE IS SEVERED, ONE FINAL SKILL...THE SHARPEST I CAN BESTOW.

Ravid reached out, turning Her Incisive Gaze to her people, and carved an invisible sigil upon their hearts.
"YOU MUST BE THE WHETSTONE NOW," She intoned, "AND SO I GRANT YOU MY SACRED DISCIPLINE: EDGERDEMAIN. WHEN YOUR WILL IS RAZOR-TRUE, AND YOUR MOTIVE PURE AND CERTAIN AS A LINE ETCHED IN JEWEL, YOU WILL FIND THE HEARTS OF OTHERS AS BRASS TO BE MOLDED TO YOUR CAUSE. THE DULL WILL BEHOLD YOU, AND THE TARNISH WILL FALL FROM THEIR EYES. YOU WILL SHAPE THE MIDDLE, AS I HAVE SHAPED YOU."

Bestowing Edgerdemain upon the Sharpest: 1d20 19!

Ravid smiled, then, terrible to behold, but the Sharpest, who were tempered before Her Presence, and knew Their Lady's Regard for them, were not afraid.

"GO FORTH, AND BE KEEN AND BRIGHT, MY SHARPEST. GO FORTH, AND HONE THE WORLD INTO A BLADE TO PIERCE THE ABOVE WITH ITS BRILLANCE."

And with these final words, Ravid, Lady of Edges, turning her thousand thousand angles strangewise, slipped between the layers of existence with a sigh of sliced cloth, a whisper of fluttering felt, and the chime of a blade sheathed forever.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Fanart! First stage of people of the Middle!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

dont be mean to me posted:

Let's give it a shot.

+1 Larien

4 | Age Complete

f

Sure, why not.

Changing vote +1 from Solomna to Larien

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

-1 Solomna
Spirit count: 3

No hard feelings, I just wanna see how badly creating god-eaters can go.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
+1 Mygda

Enjoy the murder/party.

[ ] s#: 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Doesn't seem like my +1 vote is really needed anywhere, so I'll just give +1 to Mygda for coming up with the perfect way to end the First Age.

No votes remaining
Spirit Points: 4