Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Well hello, forum friends. Welcome to the 2017 Rowdy Ringsports MMA Awards thread. Reminder:

:siren: DO NOT POST YOUR BALLOT IN THIS THREAD! :siren:

To potentially get more responses, the ballot will be conducted via Google form. Head here 2017 Rowdy Ringsports MMA Award Ballot

Voting will be open until January 27th, 11:59 PM Pacific time. Results will go up on January 28th.

1st place will receive 5 points, 2nd place will receive 3 points and 3rd place will receive 1 point. You aren't required to vote in all 3 spots.

quote:

Fighter of the Year

Favorite Fighter

Fight of the Year

Worst Fight of the Year

Performance of the Year

Knockout of the Year

Submission of the Year

Best Major Show

Worst Major Show

Round of the Year

Breakout Fighter

Most Improved

Upset of the Year

Gilbert Yvel Award for Foul of the Year

Cecil Peoples Award for Judging Incompetence

Best Division

Joe Silva Brainfart Award for Worst Booking Decision

Jon Jones Award for Worst Career Move

Big Dan/Lil Kim Award for Refereeing Incompetence

Best Post-Fight Interview

Most Overhyped/Underperformed

Yoel Romero's Poop Shorts for Comedy in MMA

Edmund Tarvedyan's Head Movement Award for Best Schadenfreude

Best Social Media Presence

That's right, I'm bringing back the Best Social Media award on a trial run. Also, there's a spot for your prediction for MMA in 2018.

If you need a refresher on anything, head over to the Best and Worst of 2017 thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Past results

Fighter of the Year

2013: Chris Weidman
2014: Robbie Lawler
2015: Conor McGregor
2016: Cody Garbrandt

Mark Coleman Emeritus Award: PSP's Favorite Fighter

2013: Mark Hunt
2014: Mark Hunt
2015: Mark Hunt
2016: Mark Hunt

Fight of the Year

2013: UFC Fight Night 33 – Mark Hunt vs. Antonio Silva
2014: UFC 171 – Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler
2015: UFC 189 – Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald
2016: UFC 206 - Cub Swanson vs Doo Ho Choi

Performance of the Year

2015: UFC 193 – Holly Holm def. Ronda Rousey
2016: UFC 206 - Cody Garbrandt def. Dominick Cruz

[b[Knockout of the Year[/b]

2013: UFC 162 – Chris Weidman KO Anderson Silva
2014: UFC Fight Night 52 – Mark Hunt KO Roy Nelson
2015: UFC 194 – Conor McGregor KO Jose Aldo [Punches]
2016*TIE*: UFC 206 - Lando Vannata KO Jon Makdessi (Spinning wheel kick)
2016*TIE*: UFC 199 - Dan Henderson KO Hector Lombard (Back elbow)

Submission of the Year

2013: UFC 164 – Anthony Pettis SUB Benson Henderson via Armbar
2014: UFC Fight Night 49 – Ben Saunders SUB Chris Heatherly via Omoplata
2015: UFC 186 – Demetrious Johnson SUB Kyoji Horiguchi [Armbar]
2016: UFC on Fox 18 - Ben Rothwell SUB Josh Barnett (Gogo choke)

Best Major Show

2013: UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva 2
2014: UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso
2015: UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor
2016: UFC 205: Alvarez vs McGregor

Worst Major Show

2013: UFC 161: Evans vs. Henderson
2014: UFC Fight Night 36: Machida vs. Mousasi
2015: UFC 182: Jones vs. Cormier
2016: Bellator 149: Shamrock vs Gracie 3

Round of the Year

2013: UFC on Fuel 8 – Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann ~ Round 1
2014: UFC Fight Night 40 – Matt Brown vs. Erick Silva ~ Round 1
2015: UFC 187 – Andrei Arlovski vs. Travis Browne ~ Round 1
2016: UFC 206 - Cub Swanson vs Doo Ho Choi ~ Round 2

Breakout Fighter of the Year

2013: Chris Weidman
2014: Tyler Jeffrey Dillashaw
2015: Holly Holm
2016: Cody Garbrandt

Most Improved

2013: Robbie Lawler
2014: Tyler Jeffrey Dillashaw
2015: Holly Holm
2016: Michael Bisping

Upset of the Year

2013: UFC 162 – Chris Weidman def. Anderson Silva
2014: UFC 173 – TJ Dillashaw def. Renan Barγo
2015: UFC 193 – Holly Holm def. Ronda Rousey
2016: UFC 199 - Michael Bisping def. Luke Rockhold

Best Division

2013: Lightweight
2014: Welterweight
2015: Welterweight
2016: Lightweight

The Joe Silva Brainfart Award - Worst Booking Decision

2013: Jon Jones vs. Chael Sonnen
2014: Stipe Miocic vs. Fabio Maldonado
2015 *TIE*: UFC books Jon Jones, Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort in main events after failing pre-fight drug tests, with all results being withheld until after their fights or longer for reasons no one can seem to explain.
2015 *TIE*: WSoF books a rematch of disabled retiree Matt Hamill vs shitlord Thiago Silva, who had previously had one of the worst fights of all time. After a late injury Hamill is replaced by unknown Teddy Holder who was scheduled to fight on the undercard who proceeded to KO shitlord Thiago Silva.
2016: RIZIN FF throws a grandma in against Gabi Garcia

Dumbest Career Move

2013: Cyborg hires - of course - Tito Ortiz as her manager
2014: CM Punk joins the UFC & trains at Roufusport
2015: Jon Jones' wild night
2016: JON JONES

The Big Dan/Lil Kim Award for Refereeing Incompetence

2013: TFC 26 – White vs. Babcock – Rusty Sullivan watches a KO and doesn't call off the fight.
2014: RFA 14 – Tom Johnson allows fight to continue after Junior Maranhao collapses unconscious between rounds and is revived.
2015: UFC-FN 62 – Leandro Silva vs. Drew Dober – Eduardo Herdy calls a submission victory for Silva from a guillotine that Silva did not have sunk in and had already given up on while Dober was clearly still conscious and had not tapped.
2016*TIE*: UFC FN 85 - Neil Magny vs Hector Lombard. Referee Steve Percival for not stopping the fight during the second round despite Magny landing around 100 unanswered shots
2016*TIE*: EFN 50 - Fedor Emelianenko vs Fabio Maldonado. Fedor's hand picked referee for not stopping the fight in the first round

The Cecil Peoples Award for Judging Incompetence

2013: UFC on Fuel 8 – Diego Sanchez vs. Takanori Gomi ~ Two Judges score for Sanchez
2014: UFC Fight Night 42 – Diego Sanchez vs. Ross Pearson ~ Two Judges score for Sanchez
2015: UFC-FN 59 – Cathal Pendred vs. Sean Spencer ~ Unanimous Decision for Pendred
2016: EFN 50 - Fedor Emelianenko vs Fabio Maldonado. Two judges score first round only as 10-9 for Fabio, and give fight overall to Fedor

Gilbert Yvel Memorial Foul of the Year

2014: Every Fight – Jon Jones eye gouges EVERYONE!
2015: ONE-FC 28 – Ze Wu's acrobatic testicle stomp
2016: Bellator 149 - Royce Gracie's non-called knee to the groin

Best Post-Fight Interview

2013: UFC on Fuel TV 8 – Mark Hunt
2014: Bellator 121 – James Thompson
2015: UFC on Fox 17 – Nate Diaz
2016: UFC 196 - Nate Diaz

Most Overhyped/Underperformed

2013: Alistair Overeem
2014: Renan Barγo
2015: Ronda Rousey
2016: Ronda Rousey

Best Twitter Account

2013: @danawhite – Dana White
2014: @teamKhabib – Khabib Nurmagomedov

AWARD ON HIATUS

The Yoel Romero's Poop Stained Shorts Award for Comedy in MMA

2015: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz – The fight. The drug failures. The trials. The dick pills. The prank call. Everything.
2016: Kimbo Slice vs Dada 5000

The Edmund Tarvedyan's Head Movement Award for Best MMA Schadenfreude of the Year

2016: UFC 207 - Ronda Rousey vs Amanda Nunes

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Some suggestions for Fighter of the Year:

Ngannou - 2 wins (2 KOs in like 3 minutes)
Whittaker - 2 wins (1 KO), won interim MW title
Holloway - 2 wins (2 TKOs), won and defended FW title
Mighty Mouse - 2 wins (2 subs), defended FlW title twice, setting record for most ever
Oezdemir - 3 wins (2 KOs in like a combined 60 seconds)
Namajunas - 2 wins (1 sub, 1 KO), won SW title
Horiguchi - 5 wins (3 KO, 1 sub), won RIZIN bantamweight GP
Nasukawa - 7 wins (6 KO), won RIZIN kickboxing GP

RDA did pretty good, too. 3 wins in a higher weight class.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

LobsterMobster posted:

Nasukawa - 7 wins (6 KO), won RIZIN kickboxing GP

Tenshin is the single best talent I've ever seen in my life but 2017 has been a total can crushing tour for him. 7 kickboxing knockouts and however many MMA fights he had should be impressive, but the fact is he was facing better competition as a 13 year old. But it is electrically cool when he dusts off mouldy old Thais and whatever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I probably missed out on filling maybe two thirds of the fields out but I think I hit the most important fields. Looking forward to the results so I can read them and say "oh yeah, duh"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Suggestions for Underperformed/Overhyped

Donald Cerrone (went 0-3)

Holly Holm (lost to Germaine, win over Bethe Correia that should never count)

Jon Jones (being Jon Jones)

The Entire Light Heavyweight Division

Johny Hendricks (shockingly won a fight this year against Hectopr Lombard, but also missed weight at middleweight)

Demian Maia (looked terrible against Tyon, then dropped a decision to Colby Covington)

Conor McGregor (the literal definition of under performing as he went and joined the circus)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

List of the biggest upsets per event, by betting odds:

http://www.oddsshark.com/ufc/ufc-2017-underdogs-vs-favorites-record

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
it didn't get listed in the other thread but a performance nominee should include Rose v Joanna, the stats on that fight show just how badly Rose was messing up Joanna

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUNbr6tEack

edit:

oh yeah this was this year too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cq6rVDcysw

remember Gabi for worst booking, as she didn't even make weight, and comedy for also not making weight and uncomfortable comedy for that... thing... at Rizin on her knees, and schauden for her enjoyment of beating up grandmas

Gabi Garcia 2017: losing fight by dq illegal soccer kicks, no contest due to eyepokes, missing weight by 27 lbs and then crying on her knees for forgiveness begging for a rematch to be booked... for new years eve 2018

Lid fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 1, 2018

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I vote Jon Jones # 1 for all catagories where it would make sense to include Jon Jones, such as fighter, victory, fight, knockout, social media presence, most improved, performance of the year, favorite fighter etc. I leave all other ballot entries blank. Bye.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lid posted:

it didn't get listed in the other thread but a performance nominee should include Rose v Joanna, the stats on that fight show just how badly Rose was messing up Joanna

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUNbr6tEack

edit:

oh yeah this was this year too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cq6rVDcysw

remember Gabi for worst booking, as she didn't even make weight, and comedy for also not making weight and uncomfortable comedy for that... thing... at Rizin on her knees, and schauden for her enjoyment of beating up grandmas

Gabi Garcia 2017: losing fight by dq illegal soccer kicks, no contest due to eyepokes, missing weight by 27 lbs and then crying on her knees for forgiveness begging for a rematch to be booked... for new years eve 2018

Depending on how much you dislike him, Ian McCall has a strong case for Best Schadenfreude for:

- finally getting his release from the UFC
- signing with RIZIN to compete in the bantamweight GP
- losing in 90 seconds due to cut because his opponent sliced his face open on the ring ropes, the first time that's ever happened outside of a barb wire match

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly, Ian McCall should have one of those emeritus titles for that category like Mark Coleman does for the Rob Emerson thing.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

just wanna remind anyone that hasn't yet voted:

Alessio Di Chrico for Best Post Fight Interview from UFC on Fox 26 "Scussi, boppity boopy"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I submitted, but I gotta keep better track of all this stuff this year because I'd forgotten half of what happened in 2017 or mixed it up with stuff from 2016, so a few categories I ended leaving blank sorry.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

I submitted, but I gotta keep better track of all this stuff this year because I'd forgotten half of what happened in 2017 or mixed it up with stuff from 2016, so a few categories I ended leaving blank sorry.

The best way to keep thinking about it is to nominate poo poo as cool poo poo happens.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh for sure, I know there was stuff I really enjoyed (or hated) in 2017 that has disappeared down the memory hole, I should have made better use of the Best/Worst thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

RESULTS!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847733

• Locked thread