Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What would you learn about hanging an elephant by shooting it? Pish posh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

You pretty much needed a purpose built gun in the early 20th century to be able to kill an elephant.

Yeah, they're called elephant guns, you could buy them. Makes more sense than a goddamn crane to me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, they're called elephant guns, you could buy them. Makes more sense than a goddamn crane to me.

Those things weren’t cheap. You buy one of those you need to shoot at least a few elephants to justify the cost.

Maybe you could substitute 2 rhinos for an elephant.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's another thing to consider, they executed Topsy in front of the other elephants

That was common, if a circus animal killed or attacked a human, they would kill it in front of the other animals. Because they believed seeing one of their own punished would deter the others from committing the same crime

That's a true fact about what people in the past thought.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Elephants never forget.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
And they never forgive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So we should kill every last one of them before they retaliate.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No set them free to kill their slavers

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

No set them free to kill their slavers

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Gotta get'em before it's too late

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's pretty much the elephant in the room regarding steampunk. The whole "height of imperialism backed by white supremacy which the science of the day was happy to enable" thing gets conveniently left out.

I don't know, I've read a few steampunk things that were pretty up front with their "Yay, colonialism!"

And on the other side, a lot of proto-steampunk, like Warlord of the Air is also pretty blatant about colonialism because they want to show that it is bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And on the other hand, nerds glue gears to every piece of clothing they own.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

So we should kill every last one of them before they retaliate.

https://twitter.com/attackvideo/status/618126555890343937

:thunk:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember this one jerk recently wanted to make a cyberpunk game but where the free market is the good guys.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dont think that guy gets cyberpunk

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cyberpunk would be better if it was the Ramones but with like robot eyes instead of just nerds hacking poo poo

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my cyberpunk future is trans people swapping into cyborg superbodies of their gender and destroying capitalism with the gay agenda

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just finished the first few trades of Black Science and goddamn that is some good poo poo. That is classic sci fi comics for me. I love dimension hopping as a concept, it lets artists just go completely wild. So many killer double page spreads.

Remender isn’t one of my favourite writers but I’m not sure why - I like pretty much everything he’s put out, I just don’t go looking for it.

I’ve read most of his marvel stuff and black science, does he have anything else worth digging into?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Elephants never forget.

That's why they drink.

(Elephants will intentionally eat spoiled fruit that has partially converted to alcohol)

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Every couple of years, I crack open my worn down one volume edition of Bone to see if it's still good

It's still good, you guys :allears:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

That's why they drink.

(Elephants will intentionally eat spoiled fruit that has partially converted to alcohol)

Not really true. The amount that it would take for one elephant to get drunk would be a huger amount than is available. Baboons on the other hand get hosed up on rotten marula berries like no-ones business.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Not really true. The amount that it would take for one elephant to get drunk would be a huger amount than is available. Baboons on the other hand get hosed up on rotten marula berries like no-ones business.

Stop ruining my fun facts with actual facts.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Stop ruining my fun facts with actual facts.

But you can tell people about how baboons get drunk and fall out of trees. Hell there are probably YouTube videos of such things to share and laugh at.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Jordan7hm posted:

I just finished the first few trades of Black Science and goddamn that is some good poo poo. That is classic sci fi comics for me. I love dimension hopping as a concept, it lets artists just go completely wild. So many killer double page spreads.

Remender isn’t one of my favourite writers but I’m not sure why - I like pretty much everything he’s put out, I just don’t go looking for it.

I’ve read most of his marvel stuff and black science, does he have anything else worth digging into?

Fear Agent and Low. And Deadly Class, although I'm not sure if it's still good?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Jordan7hm posted:

Low is pretty good too!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

Gotta get'em before it's too late

Is that series any good?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is that series any good?

No volleyball so it is a hard pass.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is that series any good?

I've read half of it or so, it's great but it's the kind of series you gotta binge. Lots of characters and plot points.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Honestly, I'd prefer it if they toned down the violence in mainline superhero comics. I just remember the last page of the first issue of Green Lantern for the New 52 was a big full page of a couple of beheaded corpses, neck stumps pointed at the viewer. It's like, why? You couldn't get away with that in an actual Green Lantern movie. It was so off putting and unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, I love tits and gore. I would never want to see an end to tits and gore comics. I love Murcielago. But for something that has a kid's show on the Cartoon Network and kid's toys in the toy aisle at Target, there's such a thing as too much

I was agreeing with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

February thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848066

• Locked thread