Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Thor 133 (first Ego) is really good, but the best is yet to come. Let me know what you think when you go through the 160's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

133 was good yeah, but I love the issue where Jane Foster becomes an immortal for a hot minute, or the whole war between the trolls and Asgard.

And Tales of Asgard is actually the best part of that book, starting at about 114 there isn’t really a bad ToA story, and once they get going on the Ragnarok saga and into the adventures of the warriors three it’s unassailable.

I did not expect to love Thor this much.

Thor is probably my favorite book from 60's Marvel. Spider-Man was great, but you get tired of him whining about his problems after a while. Donald Blake's whiny rear end was holding Thor back for a while too.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

What does Morrison own.

I think he owns the remnants of a castle in Scotland. That was a fun Wizard interview.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I bought the Darwyn Cooke Graphic Inc hardcover today with some Christmas gift cards and man, he was just so good. It sucks so much that his career in comics started as late as it did and ended as early as it did.

On the note of the book - it’s less an art book and more just a collection of his otherwise uncollected DC work, along with a ton of covers he did along the way. If you love Cooke I highly recommend picking it up.

Still bums me out he died the morning I was going to see him at a con. Still have that Superman/Wonder Woman cover framed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

This essay is the Rosetta Stone for Identity Crisis, in that it's all about our hero [young Brad Meltzer] falling for a pretty girl [Terra] and then finding out she's CRAZY and EVIL and this shock makes "[his] stomach sink to [his] testicles", just like the immortal line of narration from Ray Palmer the Atom in Identity Crisis.

It might also be the essay where he offhandedly describes Batman as the ultimate childhood fantasy: you get a cool clubhouse and all the toys you want and because your parents aren't around there's never anyone telling you to be careful or behave or go to bed. That might have been a different essay, but Meltzer definitely said that poo poo too.

He's not wrong about Batman, and the Terra thing is exactly what Wolfman and Perez intended. They we're trying to break young boys hearts. Imagine if Whedon or Bendis read New Teen Titans instead of Uncanny X-Men.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Well, that's how I saw Batman as a kid.

Wasn't the stomach in the testicles thing used in Batman: Year One also?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I just finished the Mangog saga in the Kirby Thor run and goddamn every panel is amazing. I want to post so much of it. If you haven’t read it, you absolutely should. From Sif to Balder to Loki to the Warriors Three every character gets their moment to shine. Sif really was one of the only strong female characters from that period of comics. She gets a couple lovely scenes in that era but when Mangog breaks into the room that holds the Odinsword and Thor tells her to get behind him her retort that no, her place is at his side, is perfect.

The only thing I have trouble with is how much of a big stupid jerk Odin is.

Mangog looks kind of goofy, but it's awesome that the most terrifying enemy in Thor looks like one of Kirby's old monster books.

Hope you're reading the latest story line in the current Thor book. Mangog is tearing poo poo up.

• Locked thread