Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm never going to play BG2 again since I'm afraid the writing fill just feel like garbage to me these days.

It already kind of happened with kotor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm never going to play BG2 again because the gameplay is rear end.

that too

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Randallteal posted:

Inquisition is a deeply uneven game, but it had by far the best characters, vo and writing Bioware's done.

Oh come on, Bioware writing isn't that bad

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

the asari party member in that game was really boring unless you do the sidequest where seh gets replaced by a succubus

They should have made the Asari bartender a party member instead

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

BG2 is still the clear best of that type of gameplay. I liked Pillars well enough but it was as blatant an attempt to recreate it as you could possibly have. I'd also take it over any western ARPG that was mentioned.

Turns out that that type of gameplay is inherently bad

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I can’t really think of many wrpgs with enjoyable combat aside from like Original Sin 2.

I can however think of many jrpgs with fun combat (especially if srpgs count).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

I've never found Bioware to have significantly better writing than any random CoD installment.

Bioware games can have some great character writing in them. Like Mass effect 2.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

Can you give any examples?

Most me2 party members were well written

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

I mean, I pretty obviously disagree, I was more meaning can you explain why you think a given character is well written?

That is way too much :effort: at the moment since I should go to bed soon

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

I wonder if the writers at Bioware said the same thing. :rimshot:

Considering what happened with Andromeda, probably

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I recently replayed Dragon Age 1, and I liked every companion. Well maybe not Leliana the Bard, she’s pretty boring, but Sten, Zevran, Morrigan, even Alistair and Wynne have got great stuff going for them and talking to them is a delight

Morrison is voiced by Claudia Black so I can’t not like her

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

What are some games with good dialogue animations?

The Witcher 3

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SJWs love bushy eyebrows

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Palpek posted:

What are the predictions about Monster Hunter: World?

goty 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

also goty 2019 when the PC version gets delayed

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shenmue was insanely bad when it cane out

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Supernova hot take.

More of a tepid take imo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

fuckin cowards don't just credit Varric and nobody else

eat my ENTIRE rear end, da2 has flaws but the characters sure as gently caress don't number among them

'flaws' is putting it very mildly

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Well it's definitely not running at 60 fps or even 30 then

get a better pc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Aside from the optimization not being that great what is wrong with the DS3 engine?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Both Ashley and Kaidan suck and you should be able to kill both

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Samuringa posted:

The dude speedrunning Bloodborne right now looks exactly like what I expected a Bloodborne Speedrunner would look

the run is also amazing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It was one of the best runs of the whole gdq

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

imagine working 90 hours work weeks for a loving david cage game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

You get like 4-6 vials on every boss run in the game. Try not using them for a few rounds while you learn the attacks if you really need 20 to beat a boss like a chump.

You get 0 vials from boss runs because you run past everything

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, but it's still pretty funny that something like that managed to pass through. It'd be like if a dungeons & dragons game gave the dwarves a racial ability involving rushing headfirst at stuff but never actually defined what that talent was.

Glaring errors like that are not particularly uncommon in d&d either

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

its more common than you'd think, I never got the impression that p&p rpgs are rigorously playtested at least in the sense like someone has worked every single page of the book into a game. core mechanics sure, but even D&D ends up with lots of stuff that makes no sense or is just hosed up until they go back and issue errata

D&D (and Pathfinder) are rigorously playtested. The developers just ignore the results of said playtesting.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I dunno how anyone can think video games are more of a cultural waste than movies right now. Modern cinema is absolutely dire in pretty much every way. There's a lot more innovation going on in games whereas movies have been treading water for years now.

movies are good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I mean... The Room is entertaining

The Room is one of the best movies ever made

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Dungeons and Dragons Chat reminded me that I’ve owned Neverwinter Nights 2 for years now and never even tried it.

Yikes. Ugly and janky as gently caress

That’s very accurate to the D&D3.5 experience

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

Skip to Mask of the Betrayer. You’re not missing anything.

This is true.

motb is loving great though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I don't run Dungeon World much anymore, but it absolutely made me a better GM. It forced me to kick a lot of bad habits and stop doing a lot of things that were probably making my games less fun for my players. It also served as a great introduction to roleplaying for some of my friends who'd never done it before and never really thought of themselves as "nerdy" enough to do tabletop roleplaying, and now they play in all of my games and kick rear end at RPGs.

If nothing else, I hope everyone who plays any *World game comes away with one lesson: if there's no interesting consequence for failure, just don't bother having the players roll. If your players have to roll for easy things, it makes their characters seem like bumbling idiots; if they have to roll for tedious things when there's nothing to be lost if they fail, it just grinds the action to a halt for no reason. What I try to implement from Dungeon World in all the games I run is that whenever a player rolls a die, something happens. Either they succeed, they succeed with a cost (or other drawback), or the consequence of failure leads to another interesting scenario and pushes the players to take more risks to get out of a jam.

:yeah:

Same here, I don't run pbta games much anymore since I (and my players) prefer something a bit more involved but it absolutely helps you become a better GM if you run it how you are supposed to.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

The way I've seen it described is that it's more like each encounter is a puzzle with a "correct" solution rather than XCOM's focus on in-the-moment tactics, though I haven't played it myself yet.

This is pretty accurate.

You can also change your party and respec them at any time so you are encouraged to try different solutions.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I had fun with Mario xcom the whole way through

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Just buy DOS2 as it's a straight upgrade to every single thing about Original Sin.

and in most cases, a major upgrade

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I don't think they've said what it is yet. I'm expecting a moba with loot crates

A battle royale with loot crates

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

It wouldn't be that hard for any store that can accept credit cards to accept something like bitcoin, if bitcoin was better established.

That said, right now its a wildly speculative trade good, not really a currency. Its like if Walmart posted their prices in amount of some company's stock or something. It changes too often and way too much to be effective as a currency. And everybody buying it right now is buying it because of hype, its definitely a bubble like the dot-com bomb, and its gonna burst and lots of people are gonna get stuck with worthless coins.

Then like 40-80 years later Visa will merge with Mastercard and incorporate blockchain technology into its credit cards, and they'll become accepted as the official vendor of US credits, which will replace paper money entirely.

Bitcoin has a fixed transaction limit in a period of time. If every american wanted to make one bitcoin transaction a day the wait time for a transaction would in the range of over a hundred years. It also has like $80 transaction fees at the moment.

Also blockchain like structures have existed for decades. There is no innovation or whatever to be had.

There is literally nothing bitcoin does well.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 19, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Is Monster Hunter World a game you absolutely have to play with other people? Is it a pretty challenging game?

You can play solo just fine. 90% of my play time in MH games is just solo hunting (World might change that when the pc version comes out since I can finally get my friends to try it).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

A home brew Vita can barely run anything more intensive than a ps1 game, there's no way that's remotely functional or real

You can stream PC games to a homebrew Vita (it actually works pretty well, I played through Shadow Hearts that way).

That guy is probably emulating botw on his PC and just streaming it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

please play monster hunter

I’m going to!

• Locked thread