Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

2018 will be the best gaming year yet because it includes all games from 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have a pretty anime hangover right now

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anime posons threads

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Finally beat Witcher 3! Pretty amazing, but I still think the whole levelling thing is dumb, i pumped the difficulty to the max around halfway through the game due to being overlevelled and still had zero difficulty in combat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My friend bought me a game called Star Ruler, it’s a space 4X. He assures me that you can automate just about everything in it because it’s more interested in macro stuff, sounds right up my alley!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Reading the Binding of Isaac wiki article about pills (trying to figure out what some of the newer ones do). Here’s some fun trivia:

quote:

The "Amnesia" pill is a reference to amnesia, the loss of memory.
The "Bad Gas" pill is a reference to farts.
The "Paralysis" pill is a reference to paralysis, the loss of muscle function for one or more muscles.
The "Pretty Fly" pill is a reference to the phrase "pretty fly".
The "Pheromones" pill is a reference to pheromones, chemicals that trigger social responses in members of the same species.
The "Puberty" pill is a reference to puberty, a process of physical change as a child's body matures into an adult body.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What’s dumb Ubisoft humour?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If there’s one thing I’ve learnt these past few months is that you really shouldn’t argue about video games with family members

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

It's extremely odd to me seeing physical copies of games like stardew and undertale

This was my first thought too

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The world could stop producing any form of entertainment media today and I’d still have enough to watch / play / read to keep me busy for several lifetimes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Playing Stellaris again, it’s pretty fun!

Ran into a star named Covfefe, not super sure how to feel about that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I was too busy having hopeless crushes on real girls :cool:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Your tastes are refined and I suspect irl you dress fashionably.

My first videogame crush was Nanami in Suikoden 2.

My current videogame crush is Nanami in Suikoden 2.

I've never ceased. Never faltered. Never flagged.

Dude, she’s your sister

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You can be a fat round slime ball in Stellaris

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wouldn’t even call those moments “cute”, they’re just, like, realistic and relatable, and I think we’re going to see more of them in games as time goes on

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Also I just read the past four pages of discussion, very smart and reasonable posts :)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah I guess that's some kind of victory

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If there's no other context that line is just "I used to be into karate but now I'm not"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Platforming. Suffers from sometimes not knowing what's a platform and what's background. Lots of simple one-off minigames that are usually about the right length. I.e. serviceable

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In my experience WRPGs have more enjoyable combat and gameplay than JRPGs, I will die on this hill

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Probably fft

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Andrast posted:

I can’t really think of many wrpgs with enjoyable combat aside from like Original Sin 2.

I can however think of many jrpgs with fun combat (especially if srpgs count).

Probably a majority posters here will agree with you, but I won’t!!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I recently replayed Dragon Age 1, and I liked every companion. Well maybe not Leliana the Bard, she’s pretty boring, but Sten, Zevran, Morrigan, even Alistair and Wynne have got great stuff going for them and talking to them is a delight

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What are some games with good dialogue animations?

e: RPGs specifically

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The best Western RPGs are Diablo and its various progeny, because they are at least about the gameplay rather than trying to find the least offensive package to stuff a "video game writing"-quality narrative into.

Sounds like you’re describing JRPGs :smug:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe all RPGs are terrible?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think random battles are my least favourite thing in games

My favourite thing in games is seeing a choice I made in dialogue come up again later

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Grinding only exists in MMORPGs now, where it takes up roughly 65% of your playtime

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Souls series has plenty of it too.

Oh sure. I don’t think I’ve personally ground for souls but I have ground for items, which is pretty anti-fun too.

Random drops are weird, because either you don’t know about the specifics and a rare drop is a pleasant surprise, or you know the item you want and where to get it and have to spend an hour or more trying to farm for it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve never played a Monster Hunter game, what’s a good one to try on PC?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Weird follow-up question: what’s a good Monster Hunter to try on PSP?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So you're all saying that Monster Hunter is bad

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Same, I want to go home :(

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There’s a program called Frotz on iOS (probably on other platforms too) that lets you play and download basically every text adventure, with added ease-of-use functionality. I’d recommend it.

Interactive fiction is still going strong, though a lot of it seems to be Cthulhu stuff

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Why is it called "frotz"

I feel like whoever named it that might not know what the word frot means.

I don’t know, but I ate that hare. Couldn’t eat my frock though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Most iconic PC video game character with a melee weapon has to be Guybrush Threepwood

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I was looking through my Steam library, and you know what I noticed? Compared to books and movies, few games have a title that goes “The (Something)”

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m away from my computer now and honestly the only game I can think of off the top of my head that starts with “The” is “The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard”, ill try to remember any others...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Sometimes I like to insert unnecessary The's into titles just to annoy people.

"Hey did you see the new season of The Game of The Thrones?"

This is actually pretty fun! Good party game idea :)

• Locked thread