Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

blue blazes is a cool show that isn't an anime but is about a guy loving up in college while constantly feeling owned by the guy who would make eva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think the loads are that bad generally, but when I was hunting down the last shrines they were a drag, esp for blessing orbs.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I get why people wouldn't like the DS games but I found them both fairly charming.

The Colonel posted:

i appreciate that phantom hourglass wastes no time in immediately wasting tetra as a character for the second time

Funnily enough ST does pretty close to the reverse by coming up with a reason for her to always be with you.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's plenty of weird half-functional mobile ports on PSN and Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM523jjrvf4

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

blow is worth it for the soulja boy video

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

My theory is that Persona 3+4+5 were popular because they were dating sims and it turns out people like dating sims as long as you don't call them that.

They're accessible JRPGs based on good core systems (SMTs turn system and fusion) stapled to an accessible simulation game which was itself probably novel for a lot of people.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

I felt like so much of the Persona 4 stories amount to be Be Your True Self But Coincidentally That's What Society Wanted You To Be In The First Place and i don't like it very much anymore.

Yukiko learns to like working at the inn.

Yosuke learns to like working at Junes and living in town.

Rise learns to like being an idol

it seems to say that conforming is good actually as long as you work out all your anxieties about it, none of them rebel against a single thing. At least the Night in the Woods characters recognize they're unhappy and will only be happy on their terms

Persona 4 is still a comforting game, I like it, maybe more than I should, but it's lost a lot of shine for me.

and god the killer twist is so dumb, it's a very boring antagonist imo, the lamest Foil for a character I've seen

It's fair to criticise it for working out that way, but tbh I think a lot of that is just not wanting to deal with optional content changing status quo too much when it won't ever be acknowledged elsewhere in the game (or changing it too much for spinoffs, if you want to be more cynical)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh, speaking of romancing dudes in games reminded me of this:
https://twitter.com/HokutoAndy/status/949193240770527233
http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Keiko_Erikawa

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

And then when one of those sorts of stories isn't fluffy and void of conflict the internet also melts down, esp if it's not by a straight guy. Hellworld baby.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

chumbler posted:

Bioware's writing being lovely isn't really an argument against representation (or romance) in games. That's not to say that writing is easy, or that there is a clear cut answer on how to do it right. Taking gay characters as an example, for some people it's not real representation unless the depiction also tackles the modern or period appropriate experience of being gay, while others would prefer that characters can just be gay without having to deal with that poo poo because they have enough of that in their own lives already. Representation, like people, is not monolithic. All that being said, I'm a straight white dude, so my opinion on anything ain't worth anything.

Also you have to be aware how framing representation as "quotas" comes across.

No singular work/character is ever gonna be all-encompassing "perfect rep", and such a thing doesn't really exist imo. Which isn't to say that you shouldn't criticise or react to works in your own way, but why takes like "fallout guy is gay but you'd only know if you pick his dialogue tree, this is Perfect Rep" are goofy and corporations going "hey we made An LGBT character, please clap" are never gonna be wholly satisfying. There's a wide variety of needs, interests, and experiences that'll only be served when we have a wide variety of creators making varied works.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Romance in openworld games is always really bad. Or really any game where it's in a weird optional space disconnected from the rest of the writing and character interactions

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Eh, I think there are games with fine romance stuff as either part of the actual plot or at least a major side component with decent character bits like some of the HM games. And even what I said earlier isn't axiomatic, but it's weird when I'm playing something like persona 5 and literally every s.link with a girl contains an awkward romance hook that then barely changes like, 3 scenes afterwards.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I tried both awakening and fates and got owned out of both real fast lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Maybe they're good but not generally your thing

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've never really felt like grinding was ever necessary in an RPG I played and people treating it as ubiquitous is always odd to me, esp since plenty of them scale xp one way or the other. If anything I've played more that let you rocket past the curve for zero active effort (FFXV, P5).

e: Though in P5 after a point they toss out 90% of why xp would matter.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 8, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean this entire conversation was prompted by a joke about all RPGs being bad

"they should do things like other genres do" is the point

other genres been bolting on RPG progression systems for better or worse for a while now

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mech(anical)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/951828474980794370

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

🍆🍆🍆🍆

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean, it's true that videogames are by definition commercialized timewasters with a segment of consumers that strongly and sometimes violently identify by them.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm still surprised NT's PR conduct and that one presentation didn't burn more goodwill among game journos, cus yikes.

e: tbh I think it's fair to be dismissive of Survive regardless on account of Konami's conduct as an employer and it being a game built on a base by people they drove off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nina posted:

JoJo clothing merch has always been insanely expensive for some reason. I guess it's just a running trend to hand the merchandising to premium companies.

I don't think I'd ever want to drop this kind of money on a t-shirt of all things. The JoJo jewelry they used to have was pretty cool though

This sort of stuff is always crazy expensive, since I guess the market for "literally dressing like a character" vs cheap logo tee or something is way smaller.

• Locked thread