Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Finally dropped Xenoblade 2 reaching Chapter 4. I enjoy the gameplay but god if everything surrounding it isn’t 200% tropey anime garbage of the worst kind. It finally lost me on the party discussion about whether or not Tits McGee should wear a maid costume and your dialogue choices are two different flavors of ”Yes”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

I got to the surprise genie fight in Ni no Kuni which I assumed was one of those battles I couldn't win when it destroyed my dumb gently caress AI character in two hits. It wasn't.

That drat genie made me drop the game. And when I let my friend borrow the game she quit at the genie too. It's horrible

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

alarumklok posted:

*explosions in the distance, upbeat battle music starts playing*

"Let's have a 3 minute voiced heart-to-heart with wailing electric guitars in the background"

XBC2 is so bad but I'm enjoying myself so much

I like your attitude!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The Colonel posted:

the guy who directed one punch man and served as a director on space dandy directed a show last year about people eating and discussing cake and bread while calmly unraveling and planning against a major political conspiracy by the upper class. it's called acca 13 and i recommend it to all, one of the most important characters is the main character's boss who's just an old guy with a nice mustache

ACCA is super good and you should watch it if you like really lowkey anime and exquisitely drawn bread

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wow, Pyre is actually really really good. I expected to be bored by the gameplay, but I played it on the second hardest difficulty and find that the Rites are just the right amount of challenge, and I have had a number of close and tense victories. Of course, it is nice that you can restart -- the "combat" is very odd, a strange blend of Transistor's mechanics with, uh, basketball, and I'm not sure if it's exactly great -- switching between my teammates is a chore, for starters -- but it's quite satisfying to slip around an enemy guard and sink in a shot. I like it a lot and the art is gorgeous.

Teammate switching clicks better when you get to pick more based on team synergy. Every player shouldn’t necessarily be advancing and going for dunks

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

chumbler posted:

Chapter 4 of Xenoblade 2 is extremely anime and it rules.

Somehow as much as I generally loathe all the protagonists, I really find the antagonists fun Chairman Bana makes for such a good saturday morning cartoon villain

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

chumbler posted:

The secret about all the villains so far is that they are all Saturday morning cartoon villains, because it is a Saturday morning cartoon.

And I like all the protagonists. They're endearingly goofy, and Nia's English VA really steals it.

Smug super scottish Nia is the best. I just can’t stand Rex, Pyra and Tora.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Saint Freak posted:

Greg Kasavin gave Parasite Eve a 7 for being less than 15 hours and then went on to make several less than 15 hour games and I think about that more than I should.

I really want more short-ish condensed RPGs if I'm going to be honest.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

glam rock hamhock posted:

Also I do want to say (NitW spoiler again) it really is just flat out wrong to assume the elder god stuff is what make Mae mentally ill. Her symptoms are pretty common of certain disorders and you also have to remember the dreams are a new thing from when she gets back to town (I think all of her dialogue indicates she hasn't had those dreams before then) and the incident that made her run back home happened far outside the influence of the town. It is extremely unlikely they are trying to say her mental illness is caused by the elder gods under her town. However, the game is emphasizing how the town being set in an old mind set prevents her from getting the help she needs

Yeah the way I saw it The cosmic poo poo that exists in the setting isn’t causing her to be mentally ill, but her state makes her receptive to see it. Kind of like a quasi tribal shamanistic take on mental illness (which incidentally Hellblade is also about, funny how the two games ended up coming out the same year)

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Microcline posted:

I don't think the game ever confirms anything supernatural is going on. It might just be that it's easier for people to understand a supernatural will than social forces larger than their community. It worked for every cult in real life. I think it's left deliberately ambiguous what elements are supernatural as it's more interesting than the two poles of "Cthulhu physically living in the mines" and "Scooby-Do fakeout".

The ending fails in execution though. It's basically a giant cutscene with a few interludes of limping around as injured Mae and the conflict is resolved entirely through happenstance. It feels like it didn't get the same amount of attention as the rest of the game.

Between the ghost band who were real people Mae is not aware of initially and grandpa’s ghost I’m willing to believe it’s a setting where the supernatural exists but it doesn’t actually affect people’s lives in any way so the cultists are still just madmen who do evil as a desperate lashing out against the state of society.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Audiences are still afraid of female characters who defy the concept of western traditional femininity, and that’s why Mae Borowski is the most important game character 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I said come in! posted:

I've seen this opinion a lot and I just can't get behind it at all. Isn't representation still representation? I only ever seen objections from straight white males about it, while the LGBT community, and people of color, for example embraced and enjoyed the characters in Life is Strange, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Overwatch. Game developers can be better about hiring people with different writing backgrounds, but for now I feel like this is still a good start and we shouldn't discredit or dismiss games that make honest attempts at being inclusive.

All my friends are LGBT pretty much and we talk about this all the time. There’s very much such a thing as fangless, sterile representation that’s made intentionally nonthreatening for the majority audience and while it’s still positive to have representation at all it really sucks that it’s so much less empowering than it could be.

”You did the bare minimum, now do better” isn’t an unreasonable request for developers

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The White Dragon posted:

imo a developer should be let to do whatever pleases them to whatever magnitude they think suits their work. if you force quotas, everything becomes ingenuine and resentful

That’s not the point though. If you want to have representation in your game you might as well put in the effort to have some depth to it, if you don’t want that in the first place that shouldn’t be forced.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'm still into Dragon Age. Although I don't know how much hope I have with Bioware going forward, esp since now they've been sicced with the corporate role of making EA's Destiny competitor

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It really comes down to just having decent writers who are capable of writing multidimensional characters to begin with

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The Colonel posted:

anyway it's funny to me that pokemon has now historically handled having a trans character better than mass effect andromeda if only because despite them being a really minor trainer in xy, they get more personality in their two lines of dialog than the character in andromeda gets in their entire spontaneous infodump

At the same time though, DA: Inquisition has pretty much the only bit of tasteful trans representation I've seen in games. Because it doesn't even come up unless you play your character as being an rear end about it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

I remember accidentally picking that dialogue option because it's just like "how long have you known" or something like that and I didn't even realize the character was trans so I had no idea what I was asking about

I gotta say Inquisition really has a problem with conveying what the dialogue choices are actually gonna be like coming from the mouth of your character

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

precision posted:

i'm trying to think of games with strong female villains

KOTOR2 is the only game that immediately pops into mind for me

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Endorph posted:

Also imo the whole 'the best representation is the kind that doesnt come up' thing is bad. i didnt really mind the dude in inquisition but there's multiple ways of having good representation, something can actually be pointed out by the characters and relevant to the plot and discussed without it turning into an afterschool special. people irl have conversations about their gender identities all the time and stuff. unless thats not what you meant in which case whoops

It's totally not what I meant. Representation that doesn't come up is good if said character isn't personally familiar with your player character, as is the case in Inquisition. If the concept was like okay this character is your player character's close friend and they're gay then of course it should be something they talk about.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

That's basically XBC2 finished. I'd say in the end it was one of those 6/10 games I still enjoyed playing to an extent despite the actual components of the experience being kinda so-so

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, it wasn't, like, good but it was really satisfying to rack up and then pop orbs and fill out sphere grids.

The core gameplay loop is really fun to me and a great way to cozily kill a couple of hours at a time yeah. It has just enough interactivity to keep it interesting so I won't hit that point of fatigue as fast as with a turn based JRPG

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Endorph posted:

the asari party member in that game was really boring unless you do the sidequest where seh gets replaced by a succubus

Stern paladin mom was great tho. Only the human party members felt bland to me personally

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

TWEWY on Switch should be something that makes me backflip from joy but I'm just not a fan of the simplified gameplay of the mobile port at all

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I rebought Furi on the Switch to support one of my favourite games and I'm really pleasantly surprised it looks and plays so good in portable mode. I need to take a crack at the speedrun rankings while the port is still fresh

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

corn in the bible posted:

It was made by the tamagotchi people; they added fighting so it'd appeal to boys who love violence and killing and stuff. So it was certainly shameless, but not a ripoff.

The new games are definitely an SMT ripoff though

Cyber Sleuth is the best Persona game

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It's an injustice we live too late in the Konami timeline for there to be an MGS port on the Switch you're supposed to play while inside a Nintendo Labo cardboard box.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'm shocked I got a speedrun time this decent my first try with Furi on Switch since I haven't put significant time into the game since 2016. I feel like I could definitely improve it too but I'm not as motivated because for some reason this version of the game doesn't seem to include online leaderboards.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Your enjoyment of VA-11 Hall-A relies largely on whether you find imageboardy humor fun I feel

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I said come in! posted:

I don't regret the $60 I spent on Nier Automata. Completely worth it, and the vast majority of $60 are not.

It’s the only game I’ve paid the digital highway robbery price of 70€ for to have it preloaded and ready at midnight on launch. I’ll never do it again though since that’s a really inflated price

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

In Training posted:

Going under is loving weird yeah. WHen I had surgery and they were like count back from 10 I reached 4 i think and then I woke up in the hospital bed.

Hearing these accounts is reassuring since I'm waiting on a surgery date and anesthesia as an idea just makes me feel iffy

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Dragon Ball is stupid poo poo, but a part of my lizard brain loves screaming buff dudes and power levels so it’s entertaining. Probably helps I’ve never touched the anime

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I must say Odin Sphere really zig zags between way easy and suddenly a bit overwhelming but all these triple digit combos make me have a good time.

I really wish I could play the good version of Muramasa on something that isn’t Vita

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Raxivace posted:

I'm not huge into Bloodborne as a whole but the DLC is extremely good.

Yeah I was never the biggest fan of BB but that DLC might just be the strongest piece of content in the game. People who get to play it for the first time with the DLC as part of the experience are in luck

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

I'm surprised the game apparently resonates so well with international audiences but the UK has also probably got its fair share of rusted out post-industrial shithole towns.

Small towns you want out of are universal. Even if you can't quite relate to the economical context of Possum Springs it's easy enough to relate to the setting emotionally

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Aaaaaaaa

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...cr_twitter_news

Some of this jojo merch looks cool as hell. If I was pretty and if I was wealthy in excess to the point where I could drop 200 bucks on a shirt then I'd totally consider it. As it is, lmao at the idea of a $200 shirt, idgaf how good it looks, unless I'm a multimillionaire that kinda price is just fuckin ridiculous.

JoJo clothing merch has always been insanely expensive for some reason. I guess it's just a running trend to hand the merchandising to premium companies.

I don't think I'd ever want to drop this kind of money on a t-shirt of all things. The JoJo jewelry they used to have was pretty cool though

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Owlboy is a cute and good game that revolutionizes nothing but does what it tries to do well

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I caved in and bought MHW. The sole reason I haven’t been into the franchise yet is because I’m too lazy to commit to playing a long game on the 3DS

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

They actually put Clockwork City and all the adjacent weirdo lore into TESO proving you should never bank on any main game TES doing anything particularly interesting but the DLC can still be cool

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I’m feeling really motivated to learn Hunting Horns in MonHun just for the quirk factor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Your enjoyment of NitW kinda comes down to how much empathy you can feel for a dysfunctional main character with sporadic antisocial tendencies incited by mental illness. I actually really do like the kind of narratives that take a risk by having a main character so heavily flawed it might deter people

• Locked thread